Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Nothing left for me to do apart from standing in the corner and meekly clapping.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Same. :o
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yep, same. Incredible stuff!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

My ESP Ra.De. Psi finally arrived!

Don't have a lot of time at the moment, but I threw it in for a quick look and I like it so far. A bit confusing, especially in terms of the weapon resource system(s), but it's good. Known CAVE quantity. Very pretty, too.

As usual though, the real winner of these re-releases is M2 and their GOAT ports. Looking forward to them drip-feeding their way through CAVE's entire back catalogue, 70€ a piece, so that I can finally play some DOJ in 2030 and join in on the serious MuFu action in 2034. :P
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Nice one Ksub... I'm jealous.

Also, thanks Stan but bollocks to the Japanese eshop option for now.

Because:

PHYSICAL ESP.RA.DE ALSO INCOMING

:fist: :fist: :fist: :fist::fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist:

A little birdie tells me someone else may be joining the party too :o
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Good call. Whatever it takes to get involved!

And I'm curious who that is might be, as well...

KSub (and Haze, when it arrives), clippa posted a good link to ESP scoring and systems a while back. I'm between meetings so no time to dig it up but it's fairly straightforward once it clicks. My advice when starting is to keep it simple and always hold down rapid fire and special shot together, and laser as you normally would for larger enemies. Over time, you'll get the timing down for when special shot is needed and how much. There's also a barrier shot to save your skin but I always forget about it!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Damn hag Larsa. You've got this. I had a few goes on Original myself and got nowhere near that. You get sniped so easily when the rank goes up and the hitbox seems a good deal bigger. Looking forward to seeing a vid if it's an option. Allez, mon brave.

And yeah, sorry, I missed your reply. Mark's discord, it seems a bit more focused than the shmups discord which moves a bit fast for me.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Meanwhile back on earth, your Key Stage 3 shmupper has been playing Black Bird. The style and gameplay have grown on me very quickly, it’s so much fun and a real visual treat.

I’ll spoiler the next bit for those who may not have played it.
Spoiler: show
Done quite well I think, got to the boss (unsure if TLB...) of stage 4 after a few runs. Really enjoying it, that boss was so inventive I love it, started off as a mad duck thing then before I know it I’m weaving through awesome giant circling bullet patterns. Don’t even know what killed me when it morphed into its third form (maybe fourth?) and I got game over. Looked like guns or something. Need to get better at conserving lives and making sure I collect the correct insect thing to increase the stock.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Take it easy, clip, and have a good week or so.

For anyone who didn't see Gus' AGDQ run or who wants to see it without discord voice chat, it's been officially uploaded now:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: January 15th, 2020, 3:38 am No offence to mark, he obviously has a natural skill for these games but he's focused in on danmaku unlimited 3 because it's a game that grabbed him, but it's easily one of the worst games he could have chosen to use as an example for difficulty settings.
Agreed. Danmaku Unlimited 3 is a horror show in this regard.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: January 15th, 2020, 12:13 am Shit! Sorry, I remember reading your post about this and the mental post it note I'd slipped into the back pocket of my memory got mangled in my full spin washing machine brain.

There's a "true" mode that unlocks after you've beat normal mode, it's a little bit hairier but it's one of those games that's more about scoring than it being a huge challenge to clear. It doesn't bump things up all too much.

I love Black Bird so much because of the way it looks and sounds, it's such a unique, lovely world to live in, a beautiful escape, but on top of that, it's a very tight shmup with hidden depths that rewards experimentation.

You're on the last stage there, believe it or not, I think it's purposefully short, they concentrated on quality rather than quantity and I think the game is better for it.

You're close to another 1cc there, keep at it!
Ah thanks man no need to worry about delayed replies I knew it'd grab your attention eventually :D

That's exciting, and I don't mind it being that short at all. The scoring mechanics are very satisfying (I'm constantly told if my level score is good or best etc) and even the sound design is hitting the spot now. It's just so delightfully different from other games I've played in the genre. I think I'm going to try and beat it at lunchtime...

Also really impressed with your own Futari exploits. I can't really understand or relate to what you and Stan are achieving here, other than to sit there slack-jawed at the feats. They look amazing.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haze, just FYI, I plugged away at Black Bird for a good while and never got the clear so you'll be putting me in your shade. Good luck with it. I am determined to go back but I always bottle it on the last boss, it's the feather pattern!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ah you could do it for sure if you put your inhuman mind to it!!!

Had a go at lunch, got to the boss with 7 lives but still fucked it, didn't get as far as I did on the first attempt. I'll keep plugging away.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Clippa’s gone away for a while?

We should honour his memory by keeping up a constant barrage of, where’s he gone, was it something I did, do you think he’ll come back soon, why’s he ignoring me, etc and so forth... :D

We’ll need to work shifts.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm available on Friday from 16:30 to 22:15.

Everybody interested in participating, please PM Chopper with your contact information and a short explanation of how much clippa means to you so we can establish a timetable.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Good lord :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will miss him while he’s on a break. Can we all just make sure we learn from Ross in Friends, and don’t shag someone else while he’s away. It doesn’t work. He’s only just getting over Stanshall’s antics... :P

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

He's already managed a longer flounce than my most recent about turn.

In unrelated news, I finally bought Battle Garegga on the PS4 and a Brook converter for my 360 stick to connect to the Switch. Now I need the same for the frigging PS4, I guess. It's something I have played on emulation but I just fancied the M2 STG version after ESP. It's a fine game and very idiosyncratic and full of character. Bloody hard though and an ugly bastard, albeit that is part of its rugged charm.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Flounce :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Good investments there Stan... I haven’t played Battle Garegga. One for the bucket list?

Meanwhile:

Happy days! Wish clips was here though, it’s like my dad missing sports day and I won the egg & spoon race :(

Had a much better run, saved plenty of lives for the boss and only a few stupid deaths. Was pure instinct that final phase with the feathers, I know what you mean it’s tricky. You could 100% do it in your sleep though mate.

Quality game I really like it, think I’ll keep at normal mode for now and improve my score (top score 4346220 which sits me a lofty 6050th in the world!) as I didn’t score chase at all, it was just going for the clear, missed loads of points opportunities.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Battle Garegga is excellent, but it's on the difficult side of things and has a rather obtuse set of mechanics.

I'd recommend getting comfortable with other, more accessible shmups before diving into Garegga. For the record, I think it's still slightly above my skill level.