The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I'm pretty pissed off about that Pokemon DLC. The core game was tremendously lacking in content compared to past entries in the series, and it cost twice as much. How on earth can they justify charging an extra $40 just to access content that should have been in the main game to begin with? It's really quite disgusting. If this is gonna be the future of Pokemon, I think they've lost me as a die-hard fan. I was totally okay with "Dexit", I thought it was a great idea. But this? This is just disrespect.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Really though, $120 CDN for the full version of Sword/Shield when Black/White 2 was $40 new. Triple the price for more or less the same content. Revolting.
RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

The thing is, Black & White came out before Black & White 2, so odds are you ended up buying both - meaning you spent $80.

Also, those games came out nearly a decade ago. So if the cost of a 'full' Pokemon game has gone up by $40 in 9 years, that's not too crazy.

Here in the UK, DS games used to be about £30. So for me to go 'full' Black & White, I'd have spent £60. Pokemon Shield was £50, plus the pass is £30. So that's £80. So in 9 years, I'd say the price has gone up by about £20.

Maybe it's just that I've not really played a Pokemon game properly since Silver, but I can't get worked up about all this. I always thought Pokemon games had about 150 'mon to catch and that's that. If you then wanted the extended version, you'd end up buying the 're-release' (like Yellow) about 12 months later.

This seems better to me. It's £30 quid to have two expansion packs, which is cheaper than buying a whole new game. It also means you don't need to start all over again.

Maybe I'm missing something?
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Black, White, Black 2 and White 2 were all individually complete games, you did not have to buy both to get a compete experience.
RinseWashRepeat

So is the argument that some fans didn't buy the first release of the game and instead waited for the 'proper' release afterward - a 'proper' release which now isn't happening?

I mean, I see your point that there's now no way to get everything without buying the game and now an expansion pack. But did the scenario I mentioned above ever really happen?

You also say that Black & Black 2 are complete experiences. Does this mean you'd rather they release a full-blown new version? A 'Shield 2' that costs £50 as opposed to 2 expansions that cost £30?

I'm just wondering what it is that people think Nintendo should have done - because for me this is the absolutely ideal way of adding content to the game. There's no way I'd bother buying a whole new game and level up everyone again - just to get a new story and 50 (ish?) new monsters.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Any guesses for smash 5th dlc character?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Most of the net seems to have decided its Dante from DMC.

If they’re sticking to characters with some nintendo heritage I can see it maybe being Ryu Hayabusa from DoA.

But knowing Sakurai, it could easily be anything at all.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well no one guessed that.

Ouch.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Did anyone else get the impression that even the people making the video thought Byleth was a lame choice?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

5th Smash character confirmed to be Leon Cox.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

RinseWashRepeat wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:54 am The thing is, Black & White came out before Black & White 2, so odds are you ended up buying both - meaning you spent $80.

Also, those games came out nearly a decade ago. So if the cost of a 'full' Pokemon game has gone up by $40 in 9 years, that's not too crazy.

Here in the UK, DS games used to be about £30. So for me to go 'full' Black & White, I'd have spent £60. Pokemon Shield was £50, plus the pass is £30. So that's £80. So in 9 years, I'd say the price has gone up by about £20.

Maybe it's just that I've not really played a Pokemon game properly since Silver, but I can't get worked up about all this. I always thought Pokemon games had about 150 'mon to catch and that's that. If you then wanted the extended version, you'd end up buying the 're-release' (like Yellow) about 12 months later.

This seems better to me. It's £30 quid to have two expansion packs, which is cheaper than buying a whole new game. It also means you don't need to start all over again.

Considering that Sword/Shield is a *significantly* smaller game that even Black/White 1, no, the increase in price is not justified. Like, at all. Sword/Shield legit feels like a Gameboy game with modern graphics in terms of its scope and feature set. It's a barebones experiences. Sun/Moon was pretty bad too, and with similar graphics to Sword/Shield... Cost a full $30 less for the base game. For a more meaty gaming experience. And it didn't have DLC, unless you count $5 a year for Bank. And worse still is that the "expansion pass" has completely unique content for each version - so to get the full game, you need to buy Sword AND Shield ($160) Plus 2x expansion pass ($60). So now we're nearing the price of a Switch Lite just for a new Pokemon. It's not acceptable.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My younger two (3 and 4) absolutely love Mario Odyssey. I've got some Xmas cash left and am trying to decide whether to get Mario Bros Wii-U Deluxe, or Mario Maker.

Any thoughts on the best one for young kids? Can both be played in co-op as that would be good I think.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: January 16th, 2020, 2:55 pm Any thoughts on the best one for young kids?
Mario Bros. Wii U DELUX would be much better suited for younglings just wanting to pick up a Mario 2D platformer and squish Goomba’s.

The combination of many hours of ready made gameplay, with increasing challenge and simplicity, makes it an easier choice.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There’s no ‘Wii’ in the title of New Super Mario Bros. U (Deluxe).

I know it doesn’t matter, it’s just aggravating my pedantry gland.
😆
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 16th, 2020, 3:08 pm There’s no ‘Wii’ in the title of New Super Mario Bros. U (Deluxe).

I know it doesn’t matter, it’s just aggravating my pedantry gland.
😆
No matter, I'll probably just get them to play Alex The Kidd or Super Mario Kart 64...

:lol:

@Suits, yeah that was my initial though, but I'm not sure if the older one in particular would enjoy the creation side of MMaker 2...
Suits

Post by Suits »

I enjoyed NSMBD quite a bit, firstly on the Wii U then again on the Switch - but SMM2 blows it out of the water completely in terms of fun and general interest.

It’s probably best as a complement to the main line games, here play this, then if you want more, here, play this.

It’s accessible too, you just have to know how to use the tools it gives you efficiently - which is too much of a barrier for most people, certainly little ones.

That’s totally ignoring the massive potential there is in the building and messing about with levels.

The story is great, in terms of challenge but I’d all over the place and disjointed not only in its aesthetics but it’s goals and difficultly too.

Super Mario Maker is the Majora’s Mask to the Mario series in a funny way.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 16th, 2020, 2:54 pm
RinseWashRepeat wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:54 am The thing is, Black & White came out before Black & White 2, so odds are you ended up buying both - meaning you spent $80.

Considering that Sword/Shield is a *significantly* smaller game that even Black/White 1, no, the increase in price is not justified. Like, at all. Sword/Shield legit feels like a Gameboy game with modern graphics in terms of its scope and feature set. It's a barebones experiences. Sun/Moon was pretty bad too, and with similar graphics to Sword/Shield... Cost a full $30 less for the base game. For a more meaty gaming experience. And it didn't have DLC, unless you count $5 a year for Bank. And worse still is that the "expansion pass" has completely unique content for each version - so to get the full game, you need to buy Sword AND Shield ($160) Plus 2x expansion pass ($60). So now we're nearing the price of a Switch Lite just for a new Pokemon. It's not acceptable.
The content from the expansion pass are not version unique. For 30$ you get both packs, regardless of if you bought sword or shield, so a total of 90$ for the base game + extra content.

And Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon cost 40$, for a total of 80$...which is of course 10$ less than Sword/Shield + expansion pass, but seeing as how 40$ and 60$ are the standard first-party prices on the 3DS and Switch respectively, thats not really something Gamefreak can be blamed for. If Sword/Shield had adhered to the standard business model of Gamefreaks "third releases", the total price would've been 120$ for two switch games.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Sure. Assuming there's only one expansion pass. Not sure I'd make that assumption. And as for the "standard prices" argument? I would agree if it were to the same standard as other full-priced Switch releases. It's not. It feels like an upscaled 3DS game - though it feels cheaply made even by that standard.
RinseWashRepeat

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 16th, 2020, 2:54 pm

I will admit that Shield is the only game that has actually crashed on my Switch so far. So there might be something to the idea that it's 'not quite right'. Also, how they've not done VO for these games yet is beyond me. It's not perfect - I'm not defending it. I'm just trying to understand what people wanted to happen in terms of post-release support.

Maybe it's just that the last Pokemon games I played were on the Game Boy Color. That's why I don't feel like it's 'scaled-down' at all. Also, mentioning that the two versions have different content is kind of a moot point. I mean, Pokemon Red and Blue had content that you'd only see by trading. It's kind of what the whole game's about? No one buys both Sword and Shield - surely?

Also, you mention Sun/Moon - that had Ultra Sun/Moon release about a year later. A full-priced game that you couldn't carry your save over from Sun, right? I just wouldn't want that for Shield. To start all over again? To buy a whole new game? How is that better?

My question is still - what SHOULD they have done if not DLC? Should the DLC be free because the base game only has 400 creatures?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I'm not even worried about the number of monsters, I actually like a trimmed roster is a great idea - forces you to use different ones, which I like. My primary issue was how there's no post-game. You just beat the 8 gyms, and that's pretty much it. That's abnormal for Pokemon games. That, paired with lousy animations, lack of voice acting, removal of cool ideas like mega evolutions, a practically non-existent story... It's just not worth the asking price.