Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

Yes! He was there! Stood at the back , swaying, smelling of alcohol but he was there. That's all that matters.

Aye cheers - I think you're right that it's gone for quality over quantity, and the difficulty level (obviously low) was great for me - forcing a 1cc to see the game works well on this occasion and there is a lot to go back to and play for.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ksub - I hear ya RE Garrega... It's bucket list I'm not looking to dive on something like that just yet (and certainly not with ambitions of 1cc's, it would just be for fun like most shmups I play). I'm not buying anything more for now - I have ESP to come and that is going to drain my dollar for the foreseeable. I shouldn't even be buying that but it's pretty hard to not get caught up in the hype.

I need to go through my backlog and decide which games are being ditched and which I need to get to and when. I wish all my shmups were on the Switch! Would make things a lot easier.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:48 am I have ESP to come and that is going to drain my dollar for the foreseeable. I shouldn't even be buying that but it's pretty hard to not get caught up in the hype.
I know my suggestions have a tendency to result in the polar opposite outcome thanks to all the chest-beating rugged individualism floating around this place ( :P), but ESP Ra.De. is rather expensive at the moment and not necessarily the absolute top tier must-have-at-any-cost GOAT shmup either if you just wanna play for fun. If money is tight, I would recommend waiting for a discounted EU release and focusing on one of the many, many other great shmups you already have at your disposal. Stan is knee-deep in MuFu, I don't know when I'll be able to commit any length of time to it and clippa will have forgotten his own name by tomorrow, so there is absolutely zero hype to get caught up in.

And if you don't want to be left alone and shivering in the frozen dead of night playing nerdy Cast Away (perfectly understandable), just say the word and I'll join.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 12:35 pm
hazeredmist wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:48 am I have ESP to come and that is going to drain my dollar for the foreseeable. I shouldn't even be buying that but it's pretty hard to not get caught up in the hype.
I know my suggestions have a tendency to result in the polar opposite outcome thanks to all the chest-beating rugged individualism floating around this place ( :P), but ESP Ra.De. is rather expensive at the moment and not necessarily the absolute top tier must-have-at-any-cost GOAT shmup either if you just wanna play for fun. If money is tight, I would recommend waiting for a discounted EU release and focusing on one of the many, many other great shmups you already have at your disposal. Stan is knee-deep in MuFu, I don't know when I'll be able to commit any length of time to it and clippa will have forgotten his own name by tomorrow, so there is absolutely zero hype to get caught up in.

And if you don't want to be left alone and shivering in the frozen dead of night playing nerdy Cast Away (perfectly understandable), just say the word and I'll join.
Yes, curse that damned autonomy / freedom of choice rearing it's ugly head time and time again! When will we learn???

The hype is not just from this thread :o and the game is already on it's way. I'd quite like to physically own a shmup, I find it bizarre that I don't already. They're all digital purchases. I am happy to go with this one, given it's supposed to be rather good :D you can at least respect that right? It doesn't conform to most of your scornful rules on how I should be consuming content, but a nice game for the shelf will for sure. Right? :lol:

Your advice is partially sound, I shouldn't bother. But I do a lot of things I shouldn't really do and don't need to do as a fairly flawed human. I'll be smiling while you sit fuming with a furrowed brow in the corner.

Special lol @ "clippa will have forgotten his own name by tomorrow" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

What's the general consensus on Black Paradox? I liked the look of it when it came out, and it's currently dirt cheap (about £3) on Switch.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm thanks, won't bother then. Yeah that game you said about looks good, I don't play games on PC though, but if it comes to console I'll keep a look out.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Brilliant! A rather delightfully short flounce

Now you’re back would you mind asking ksub about demos or MAME or something to take the heat off me :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:21 pm Hmm thanks, won't bother then. Yeah that game you said about looks good, I don't play games on PC though, but if it comes to console I'll keep a look out.
Steredenn is a good game Alex the controls are absolutely fine on switch, I have it on there. It’s frequently in sales, keep an eye out
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It was on PS+ for PS3 in November 2018, so you might already have it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My PS+ lapsed for a few months a while back. Somewhat predictably it was when this game was given away...

:lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is probably heresy, but I mainly use analogues for shmups when I’m not using farm machinery :o so I wouldn’t know! I didn’t find any control issues with Steredenn, but then I’m nowhere near good enough to loop the game. I’ve not put a great deal of time in mind. (Ksub cue: eye roll time!)

Having said that, Alex if you can stretch to it, bollocks to Steredenn get Neko Navy as clips recommends. It’s fantastic! One of my favourites too. It may look like a wank flash game in screenshots to the untrained eye but it’s brilliant, feels immensely satisfying. Music is incredible too.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex, Jamestown+ is a good option, imo. It's got loads of difficulty options and different ship weapons so there's a lot of game there. It looks pretty different, lots of personality, good music, and plenty of unlocks to keep you coming back. Also there was a C&R on it way back which prompted some interesting and unexpected discussions!

On another note, I'm enjoying Battle Garegga so much, I might even do the unthinkable and start a separate actual thread for a shmup...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Also got myself this beast T-shirt. I will be beating them off with a stick.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Now that is cool.

I need to go back to Jamestown too... this genre is great isn’t it. We are spoiled.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: January 17th, 2020, 2:01 am Haze, this should make you feel a lot better about that feather pattern - https://streamable.com/87j86

That's me, the real MVP, headbutting feathers like a moron.
Is that "true mode"? I didn't have major issues with the feathers really, it was the first time I got to that phase and I did it first time, probably a fluke mind. We'll see if I can do it again, I need to - my mate has a higher score than me. That will not stand.

I fired up Neko Navy last night for the first time in a while to suss the 1cc landscape, it was as I remember - I get to Stage 6 with full lives, annihilating everything in sight. Stage 6 owns me a little, I think I can get past that though, a few stupid deaths. It was late and I should have been asleep. I've sussed the Stage 6 boss which used to give me problems, now that I get through unscathed. So I get to Stage 7 with 3 lives I think? I got absolutely fucked up, used my lives and 3 continues to get through it. So that needs some practice. I may delve into training mode and hammer Stage 6 / 7 till I'm ready.

Alex - buy this game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Alex79uk wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:21 pmI don't play games on PC though
Ah right, sorry. What were you playing mame on? You got an old hacked console you use?
I've got MAME on my Vita and Wii, but yeah for the tournaments we had for a little while I was using laptop but I wouldn't really sit and play on it for any length of time, it's just a pain.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: January 17th, 2020, 12:23 pmShikhondo is on cheap (£3.14) but it's a bit of an also-ran, a bit touhou - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 33558.html

Angerforce (£5.66), again, not top tier but it's good, a bit psikyo - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 49488.html

Aaay, Straimium Immortaly (£5.39), I liked that. If you play his new one "Spirits Abyss" on steam, you can see how far he's come as a developer in that short space of time. Again not top tier but his style is pretty unique and it's a fun ride - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 59670.html
Shikhondo is alright, I retrospectively wouldn't really recommend it, but that is cheap. The bullets are hard to see and it's quite forgettable. I have no desire to go back to it.

Can you elaborate on Angerforce? I've seen this and wondered if it's any good. The fact I've not seen people here talking about it made me wonder if it was "one of those" low tier cash-in games.

Straimium looks like a mad retro thing, left & right business like Black Bird / Aqua Kitty deal? If you had to pick between these two which would you pick and why?

How the hell do you know all these mad little shmups on a console you don't own! Not complaining, it's good knowledge for us earthlings with switches.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh yeah and if you could point me towards how to unlock the different cats on Neko, particularly Eugene which my mate recommended, that would be grand. I assume you'll do it better than Google which was shit.

Had a go on Psyvariar Delta at lunch and was terrible. I'm going to concentrate on Neko again I think...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yeah that's the one.

Damn, I need concrete methods... I saw that Steam thing and it's too vague. I've finished the game loads of times and on loads of difficulties but just no 1cc. No Eugene. Bah

Thanks though :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I changed cat to the green one, simply to see if it might unlock a new cat by finishing it with continues, and got to the last phase on stage 7 before needing a sole continue to finish it - best I’ve ever done, tired as fuck and slightly inebriated too.

The bastard blue cat has been holding me back.

I will 1cc this soon. It’s on