Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

Congrats clippa!!! Way beyond my dreams and immensely impressed.

However

I can join you in the success tonight because

I JUST 1CC’D NEKO NAVY

Fuck I’m so pumped I could push a wheelie bin over then pick it up after

Fuck

I unlocked Eugene by completing it with Kyrie, and finished it in one baby with Eugene. Laid waste to that shit. Fuck.

YAAAAASSSSSS

We’re on fire tonight lads

Edit: you didn’t give me duff advice at all, the blue cat is best for most scenarios I think, just my knowledge of the game and the increased speed of the green one (you’re right that’s the top one) and the bomb (big circle thing) worked well for how far in I was, the faster cats are better for the homing missiles late in the game and they’re my kryptonite. I’m the tool for not trying other cats until today!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

It’s a shame this game doesn’t save replays (on switch at least) or I’d upload it. It’s been a long road getting here.

Upload your Futari vid clippa!!!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

clippa wrote: January 18th, 2020, 12:09 am I finished futari tonight!

I beat futari!
AWOOGA! A no-BL Futari champ in the Shmups thread! Looking forward to seeing some clutch dodges in the pursuit of glory.
hazeredmist wrote: January 18th, 2020, 12:31 am I JUST 1CC’D NEKO NAVY

Fuck I’m so pumped I could push a wheelie bin over then pick it up after
Hahaha. This is the pop off speech Gus could only dream about! That's great work, and straight after BB.

This guy wants a word.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Eyy yo, clip!

Great vid, that was a lot of fun, a roller coaster! First two and a half stages I thought he's hammed it up here, looking cool as a cucumber. Then I thought that's just stage 3 on its bullshit, you had to bomb, no choice. Stage 4 was going great, quality use of the cancels, but by the end of the boss I couldn't imagine how you'd clear from there with the resources left. Then stage 5 summed it up for me. With all due respect, that is the result of sheer skill and sight reading rather than a hundred hours of memorisation and grinding. Some outrageous stuff, especially the bit where you got walled and so streamed up to the top right corner, tried to carry it over round to the left but got trapped and I was thinking bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb...Yoink! Cut back through a tiny gap and reset your position. Some brilliant work on that stage, clean 1-Up and collected the bomb, looking totally in control again. By Larsa's last phase, though, you weren't really in any position to clear that so fair fucking play. When the tail came out, I was baffled how you could get to the end. No lives, no bombs. Those flapping wings of bullets. CLUTCH.

Great stuff!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yes, well done. Congrats to you both on the 1CCs!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

He directly responded to you! “Yes well done”. I got slung in with the “both” bit. And yet you’re scorned?

Good grief it’s always about YOU isn’t it!!!

:clippasfoldedarmsemoticon:

Aside from this incessant pseudo bunny boiler plot, I’ve started trying out the endless mode on Neko Navy. Have you played this? I got to Wave 44 on pretty much my first go, haven’t been able to get close since. It must be random how the waves come in. It’s hard, and addictive. One wrong move and you’re fucked
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Oh yeah I went back to try Vasara on Switch, and for the first time I’ve experienced it first hand as opposed to being told it’s there, I encountered very noticeable input lag. Using the stick, wired. This led to some tests between games. Everything else absolutely fine, Vasara terrible.. It’s borderline unplayable.

I actually think the game is pretty crap. Like a poor Psikyo ripoff. The ships feel slow and ponderous, and the enemy bouncing off you and nudging you is far more irritating than just losing a life. Binned.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

*pokes head in*

Very popular thread. I played some 1943 the other day and enjoyed it I think.

*runs away*
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Please don't run away. This is the friendliest, most welcoming, encouraging and enthusiastic and insane place to discuss shmups.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

My attempt at broadening the appeal of the genre have failed after two threads so I will skulk back into our cosy grotto of morbid moe, canny cancels and doujin demos. Bit of BSM in the background, tucked up in bed playing Darius Gaiden. That's the life for me.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

That’s a little defeatist from the great mind who created this 111-page behemoth. I think your threads are great, and you got a couple of people who don’t usually creep into this cave (pun intended) posting. And we had a visitor!

Having said that, you won’t mind if I hold you down and put this tag round your ankle will you? It’ll be perfectly painless.

I’ve got Battle Garrega and Einhander teed up to try out at some point on my shield. I need to try Darius Gaiden too. So many games too little time.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Stanshall wrote: January 19th, 2020, 10:09 pm Please don't run away. This is the friendliest, most welcoming, encouraging and enthusiastic and insane place to discuss shmups.
Is Fantasy Zone a shmup?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yeah, I won't stop there, just hamming it up. I'm gonna bump the top 25 thread, for sure. I might make a 'Shmups Beginner Welcome' thread, too.

Those three in your list are all fantastic, by the way. Magical Isopod is spot on about Einhander. It's different and I need to give it more time but I really enjoyed what I played on the PS Classic.

Darius Gaiden is frigging amazing.

Hope you and the family are doing well and managing to get some rest!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

dezm0nd wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:39 pm Is Fantasy Zone a shmup?
Success! It is indeed, dez. I've not played very much but seen it's recently come out on the Switch.

If you like that one, plenty of us in here would recommend Black Bird which is like Fantasy Zone directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, soundtracked by some seriously weird jazz opera. Haze has just completed it on one credit and clippa has championed it since before release. It's regularly on sale on Switch. Here's the trailer:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sorry I haven't gotten around to write my Top 25 down, mate. I'm just not sure I even have an informed opinion on 25 different shmups in the first place, let alone a ranking! :(

I do have some clear favorites, so I'm gonna have to sit down one of these days and see what I come up with.

PS: I like the two threads though, I thought that was a great idea.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

ALL I KNOW IS THAT I NEED TO GET BACK TO PLAYING MUSHI FUTARI PRONTO.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

@KSub

Not at all, my good man. I'm not really sulking, just playing to the camera. If you do come up with a list, I'll be very interested to check it out. I'm definitely going to keep branching out of this thread because I suspect it's a pretty daunting, fast moving prospect, even for someone with an interest in the genre. I'll certainly do more threads for individual games here and there for more accessible discussion.

@Michiel

Amen to that!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Deal alert: Ikaruga is £9 on Switch right now if anyone's in the market... Always been curious myself. It's one of those shmups that has transcended to mainstream over the years.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ikaruga is brilliant, albeit very different from basically any other shmup out there.

Incredibly rewarding experience if it clicks with you, just don't expect anything even remotely resembling, say, DoDonPachi Resurrection or Neko Navy.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yah, that's kinda what interests me tbh. I wasn't thinking about adding any other shmups to my backlog for a while but as I picked up Black Bird for similar reasons, this one piques simply because it's got something genuinely unique (as well as being so highly regarded / respected) and that's why I added it to my wishlist a while back. Got some time to think, it's on sale till 5th Feb :)