Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Sayonara Wildheart - 23 Jan

Got it in a Switch eshop sale. Took about 90 minutes to beat. Pretty much loved every one of those 90 minutes too. The art style is cool, the animations are wonderful, and the way it keeps iterating on the basic two-input gameplay is extremely engaging. Every time I had decided that this was my favourite section, some other fresh twist would come along. It goes from racing game, to on rails shooter, to space invaders, suddenly you're holding a bow and arrow or fighting a three headed wolf... So good.

Needless to say the soundtrack is also excellent, a treat for fans of Chvrches as was mentioned in the Cane and Rinse year end pods.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

24th Jan - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone

Given at the 25 hour mark I felt done with the game, I find it vaguely odd that 80 hours further on I've gone 100% the other way and am now pumping pure undiluted Witcher vibes into my veins.

Level 38, Hearts of Stone DLC finished, most of the map unlocked, several total bad ass swords shimmering in my inventory.

A very, very pleasing DLC story. Probably up there with Mario Kart 8 and Dark Souls as the very best example of bonus follow on content I've experienced.

The overall tale of it ebbed and flowed brilliantly. It also played on old fairy tales, had a heist, surprised me with a Hellblade like environmental puzzle section and even had some strong From Software Painted world vibes going on. That sequence was incredible.

It played with my emotions constantly, surprised me lots and I went from loving to hating to feeling numb warmth towards certain characters.

I want to start Blood and Wine IMMEDIATELY but these reports of a big upgrade patch being imminent makes me wonder if I should hold off, in case it plays or looks even nicer.

So may do some Witcher contracts and go get the Rune guy up and running. Or play one of the 30 unplayed games I have.

What a game.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan – Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (XOX)

Dark Souls meets Tomb Raider and Uncharted in shiny Star Wars clothing. I loved it!

I played on the third of four difficulty levels, and the game was a proper challenge, both in its moment to moment gameplay and deliberately structured checkpointing. The placement of the latter can be frustrating as they don’t always seem entirely fair (particularly one or two before some very tough encounters you’ll likely to die on a number of times), but that’s a relatively minor gripe in what was a fun, challenging, well-paced experience.

Fallen Order also features what I thought was a pretty darn good Star Wars story, with interesting characters and meaningful stakes. It genuinely restored my faith that there are still great tales to tell within that universe in spite of the bloated and muddled movie saga having dropped the ball so badly in recent years.

Great start to my gaming year!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Steins;Gate 0

Picked up the platinum after finishing the last two endings and the final trophies. Rushed them, it was probably a mistake doing the "true" ending route before these two.

Overall the story is superb and very engaging. If you love Steins;Gate, you'll love this, simple as that. The first game is better, but it's close. A series I will always cherish and keep to go back to some day.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: January 11th, 2020, 9:20 am Jan 10th - Spider-Man (PS4)
Jan 26th - Children of Morta (XBO)

Lovely little Diablo style game with a great and expressive art style and fun progression mechanic.

Bit of a difficulty jump early on, the first couple of bosses seemed way harder than the rest to me, but after that it was pretty solid.

Couple of achievements to mop up which I’ll probably do because it’s fun to just run the randomly generated dungeons.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

While this doesn't fundamentally change what the game is, it's still really great. Generally more of the same isn't a bad thing when what you're getting more of is already such high quality. Fantastic enemy design, really interesting and diverse weapons, and a very rewarding game loop, even if it can be a bit grindy at times. The additions they made to weapon mechanics were not as drastic as I was hoping they would be though, as most of them are pretty much the same but with one or two minor additions. It seems to depends on the weapons type however. Insect Glaive didn't change much, but Longsword did feel meaningfully different. I also picked up Dual Blades this time too, as I was starting to get a tired tired of my usual mains, which really helped make the game feel fresh again. Some of the new monsters are really great and among the best in the game, while others I didn't really like at all. The good ones have a good visual or conceptual design to them, and give a good level of challenge, while the bad ones feel like they push things too far in some degree, often in a way that feels like it's working against how the game is designed on some level. Thankfully the balance is more towards the good, so it's not a huge deal. I'm not sure how much of the post-game I'm going to dig in to though. I probably will do a bit, but I doubt I'll stick with it for especially long. I want to at least get to Zinogre, and maybe beat Safi'Jiiva once too. But I'm not going to bother getting deep in to the meta or anything.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 10th, 2020, 11:35 pm JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)

Man, that's a tough table to complete, it took me ages! The last challenge, score over 200m with one ball was the sticking point. Weeks of trying and I finally smashed it (263m!) Far and away my favourite table, the speed is so quick compared to the original tables - I'm going to have to get some more based on real ones I think. I can't get the same hit off the Zen originals now, haha.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

seansthomas wrote: January 24th, 2020, 8:34 am 13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Given at the 25 hour mark I felt done with the game, I find it vaguely odd that 80 hours further on I've gone 100% the other way and am now pumping pure undiluted Witcher vibes into my veins.

Level 38, Hearts of Stone DLC finished, most of the map unlocked, several total bad ass swords shimmering in my inventory.

A very, very pleasing DLC story. Probably up there with Mario Kart 8 and Dark Souls as the very best example of bonus follow on content I've experienced.

The overall tale of it ebbed and flowed brilliantly. It also played on old fairy tales, had a heist, surprised me with a Hellblade like environmental puzzle section and even had some strong From Software Painted world vibes going on. That sequence was incredible.

It played with my emotions constantly, surprised me lots and I went from loving to hating to feeling numb warmth towards certain characters.

I want to start Blood and Wine IMMEDIATELY but these reports of a big upgrade patch being imminent makes me wonder if I should hold off, in case it plays or looks even nicer.

So may do some Witcher contracts and go get the Rune guy up and running. Or play one of the 30 unplayed games I have.

What a game.
A word of caution. I took a break before Blood and Wine and it was a mistake. Of course it's a great story whenever you play it, and being DLC most people probably played it months after beating the main game. But for me taking that prolonged break somewhat broke the spell. I never quite got back into the world in the way I had been when I was deep into those first 100 hours.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Beat Axiom Verge last night. Current impressions...it's fine. I don't know why I didn't get on with it, but the backtracking wasn't enjoyable. There were times I'd look at the map, realize I had to cross the whole thing and sigh. It's an impressive achievement of a game, but I was hoping to really get into it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: January 27th, 2020, 6:02 pm I don't know why I didn't get on with it, but the backtracking wasn't enjoyable. There were times I'd look at the map, realize I had to cross the whole thing and sigh.
It’s certainly not as enjoyable to traverse as say Castelvania and that’s not to say that the movement is solely at fault for this but sometimes the scale and what felt like never ending areas did grate on me too.

That said, I’m well looking forward to 2.

I like the look of the new world and what appears to me a melee style of combat.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Dezatopia sounds like my kinda game based purely on the title
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

dezm0nd wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:46 am Dezatopia sounds like my kinda game based purely on the title
Why am I imagining some sort of Being John Malkovich scenario, where everyone in the game has your face?
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Good to know. Thanks Third man!

13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

28th Jan - Far Lone Sails

Lovely little game. Has the movement, puzzles and styling of Inside mixed with the forlorn air and music of Gris.

Played it through in about 3 to 4 hours (as I didn't really get stuck at any point) so I should probably be annoyed that it cost me £16 or so, but I can't be. It's too nice and too bloody gorgeous to look at. Was spamming the Screenshot button constantly.

Would totally recommend it if you like side scrolling arty games about isolation set in dystopian landscapes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

seansthomas wrote: January 28th, 2020, 9:54 pm Would totally recommend it if you like side scrolling arty games about isolation set in dystopian landscapes.
Three of my favorite things! Colour me interested.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Played through Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland once, got a bad ending. What a nice game, some parts are a bit irritating but it's quite funny in a way.

The game does require a bit of proper attention (you have to remember certain things like locations for digging, what potion to bring to whom), this was a bit of an obstacle because sometimes I had to go away for weeks between sessions (due to work etc, especially problematic when it happened in the middle of a super-long dungeon, had no clue what to do when I got back to it… luckily not all parts of the game are like that)… I guess I was not able to play it "properly" but regardless, great game.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Fired up Ridge Racer on PSP with this chatter about it, didn't even realise I had it. It's great isn't it? Graphics are excellent, handling a lot of fun, looking forward to working my way through the tour mode. Couple of races in and I'm impressed.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

hazeredmist wrote: January 30th, 2020, 10:18 am Fired up Ridge Racer on PSP with this chatter about it, didn't even realise I had it. It's great isn't it? Graphics are excellent, handling a lot of fun, looking forward to working my way through the tour mode. Couple of races in and I'm impressed.
Glad you're enjoying it! Try using the cars with dynamic handling to get the most out of the drift/boost system.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Ninja Saviors the undoubted highlight for January. Goose Game didn’t blow me away. Nice to finish Spyro after starting it all those years ago, as well as some other old classics I hadn’t played before...

3 January: Untitled Goose Game (Xbox)
13 January: Punch-Out! (NES on Switch)
16 January: Spyro the Dragon (PS4)
19 January: Mega Man X (SNES Classic Mini)
26 January: The Ninja Saviors (Switch)
31 January: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES on Switch)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry New Dawn - XB1X.
(Jan) Darksiders 3 - XB1X.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I almost never finish any games but might as well keep a record.

January

Red Dead Redemption 2 (XB1X)
Battle Garegga Rev. 2016 Premium Mode (PS4)

February

DariusBurst Another Chronicle (Arcade)
Kirby Star Allies (Switch)
Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
Neko Navy (Switch)
Gris (Switch)

*four games completed today, must be a record for me!*