Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jobobonobo

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 31-Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

This game was close to having an accurate title. The impossible lair is one of the greatest challenges that I have come across in years. Even with all 48 bees I died time and time again. But unlike Furi which I tried last year, I could see myself improving ever so slightly with each new go. Sections which were absolute nightmares to go through initially were now conquerable. Boss fights could be done without getting a single hit. It took me 54 tries but since I was incrementally improving I kept at it and when I finally beat it, I was elated. This is how you do challenge properly. Keep the players on their toes but encourage them to keep trying.

The other factor in making this game so enjoyable is the overworld. It is full of secrets and like the best of these kinds of worlds, you get little glimpses of something just out of your reach and you are trying to figure out how you get there. When you finally crack it that little reward centre in your brain goes off like crazy. Additionally, the ways in which your actions in the overworld can affect what happens in the levels bought back some lovely memories of Banjo Tooie at its best.

But of course, it is not Banjo that is the main inspiration for this title but the original DKC trilogy for the SNES and this game feels less like a nostalgic throwback to the good old days but an evolution of the formula. The expansive overworld with its myriad of secrets and helping the inhabitants with their problems feels like a natural progression of the overworld of DKC3 and would have been what Rare probably would have done with the series if they had still been making those games. Impossible Lair truly succeeds in being a spiritual successor and is a massive improvement on Playtonic’s debut title. I do hope with the lessons they have learned from both titles that they return to 3D if they do anything with these characters again and truly give us a modern classic for the genre. The positive reception to this will probably make players want to see Playtonic truly get the 3D platformer right like they did back in the day. A lovely little gem that I would recommend to Rare and platformer fans alike.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Streets of Rage - Sega Master System.

What a cracking version this is. Honestly I had so much fun doing this, it came out 2 months after SoR2 so was always going to get lost in the shuffle but it's incredible. Also it's mad how it's completely different to the GG version which you don't always see. Got a nice 1CC, I fancy running it for a no death as well.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)

Played this due to Gary Butterfield's constant recommendation over on Duckfeed.

This is a fantastic indie dev take on the DOOM and Quake style FPS. Don't be put off by the 90s PC/PS1 visual style, this is one of the most fun and thoughtfully designed shooters I've played in awhile and will definitely ease the wait until DOOM: Eternal comes out.

Gary said this before on various podcasts, but the thing it gets right is level design and enemies that don't all immediately chase you down. The enemies operate at different levels of aggression and the levels stop you from just funneling them, so it encourages more thoughtful play.

Please check this out!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Dusk is awesome! And I also got to playing it because of Gary, haha. Haven't beaten it yet but it is so refreshing to blast through a few levels whenever I feel like it.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rdJan - Sayonara Wild Hearts

4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order

One of the best narrative experiences I've had in gaming, was determined to finish it and see the rest of the story. Blazkowicz is one of the best, most sympathetic portrayals of the gun-totin' American hero in any media - I really love the guy! Set Roth is also a great character, and the idea that everything the Nazis have is technology stolen and twisted from a heritage of Jewish wisdom and ingenuity (and that Set has ensured its lack of longevity by tampering with their concrete) is very, very good. The boss fights were a bit silly and fiddly, but it really is a small mark on a brilliant game. It's also quite short - took me ~13hrs - which I appreciated.

I already have The Old Blood on Steam, and will look forward to buying and getting stuck into The New Colossus probably sooner rather than later.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Tri Force Heroes

2nd playthrough this time with Suits and Sloth. I don't remember it being this hard. It's a stressful experience but overall one I'm proud of finishing not once, but twice. Not a great game really but there's some charm to the chaos

Savage Planet

A lovely exploration based FPS. Really enjoyed it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

13/01 God of War
19/1 Resident Evil 2 remake: Leon A and Claire B

03/02
Triforce Heroes

As above. Overall enjoyable but a few design decisions I could have done without. The absence of voice chat made the game very tricky in places so by the end I was glad to see the credits roll!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I finished Metal Gear Solid 3 last night. I had the original PS2 copy back in 2007 but for some reason or another, I stopped at the halfway point, right after the fight with the End and the ladder climb. The time between attempts helped me not mind at all the replaying the first half of the game and then I was just plain excited to be past it. I've definitely changed since 2007, I spent less time in the codecs than I did as a teenager, the boss fight with the End was much quicker this time around, and I didn't mind whipping out the shotgun when stealth-ing was getting me killed over and over again.

Anyway. Wowzer, MGS3 is a cool game. The bosses aren't as personable as the first game's, but they've got style and I found them much more memorable than MGS2's. And maybe because this is the IT ALL STARTS HERE chapter, it's nice just following along with a story without too much backlog behind it. Not that I didn't love all the canonical mentions and allusion. And, while I think he can be subtle when he wants to, I've always loved when Kojima just goes balls-to-the-walls action crazy, such as the bombastic final against the Shagohod.

I've been thinking about the game and the series all day today, and even have an inclination to replay MGS1 and MGS2 after all these years to pick up on the stuff my 16 year old brain probably didn't grock. Not to mention MG1&2 that come with the HD version of MGS3. And, now, I can play the fourth game...goodness.

I loved it. The whole game the whole time.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: February 7th, 2020, 7:40 pm I loved it. The whole game the whole time.
:heart: BE STILL MY FANBOY HEART :heart:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

🥰
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 10th, 2020, 11:35 pm JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Finished this last night, and will start by stressing that I did enjoy it. There are, however, a number of criticisms I think can be applied to the game. Firstly, the world was bland and empty. Sure, it was exciting fighting the robots - for at least the first 20 hours or so, but the map was so devoid of interest that there seemed little point exploring beyond heading straight towards the map markers. Then the traversal of the map was quite tedious, too. The game will frequently send you 1000's of metres from location to location during missions just to speak to someone and then back again, and although you can override or summon monsters to ride, it doesn't really make things much quicker. In the end I elected largely to fast travel, which is the first time I've ever done this in an open world game, and that speaks volumes.

The missions lack variety and all follow much the same structure. The same could be said about any number of games like this I suppose, but it's never bothered me this much before.

On the plus side, I really enjoyed the story. It kept me guessing right up to the end, and the final battle was suitably epic, despite not throwing anything new at you. I enjoyed Aloy's story arc and found it to be an original tale that I don't think I've ever seen before in a game, or even film. The combat was fun, there isn't much more exciting in gaming than trying to take down a pair of Snapjaws whilst another monster is trying to toast you and a few Glinthawks are also dive bombing the area. The monster design overall was excellent, from the Watchers right up to the Deathbringers, just fantastic looking creatures they were, and popping arrows in slo-mo whilst sliding underneath the belly of a beast was as exhilarating as it gets.

I did find myself, towards the end of the game, opting to run from most enemy encounters just to hurry towards the end of the game, which brings me to my final point. I played this game via PS Now, and there was a deadline to finish before the game leaves the service. I'm wondering if this hindered my enjoyment. I was always conscious that I wanted to get it done as quickly as possible, and although I did a large number of side quests and other activities, there were plenty left to do when I finished - and I didn't even touch the Frozen Wilds DLC.

In summary, despite some irritations, I did enjoy this game and would definitely be interested in a sequel. I just hope they'd refine certain aspects and make the world a little more interesting to exist in.

Oh, and I kept wishing you could actively ride the Tallnecks. That would have been awesome!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored

This was a bit underwhelming to be honest. Much of what I said here is still relevant, but there's a couple of other things to add. Also I suppose it's relevant that this run was mostly stealthy/non-lethal with low chaos.

While I can acknowledge that the level design is pretty impressive, I still felt like it was less interesting than it could have been, by being rather linear in progression. It has an interesting setting and admirable world-building, but lacking atmosphere that would have really made it involving. The lack of a map and limited information given to the player about surroundings meant that often when I got spotted it felt somewhat unfair, resulting in a lot of reloading saves and tediously slow progress at times. It also discourages exploration to a degree as well. The story was fine but nothing special, but it did fail to make the most out of several of the opportunities it had. So on the subject of spoilers...

(This one is more about the design of the Lady Boyle level rather than story.)
I found the Lady Boyle level to be a real letdown, after hearing people praise it as something amazing in an already great game. It completely undercuts its own premise and is a massive anticlimax. They set up this situation where you have to infiltrate a party where everyone is in disguise, where you have to work out which one of the three hosts is your target, as they're all called Lady Boyle. The one you're looking for being the mistress of the main antagonist who also provides him with financial support. So it presents itself like a mystery where it's more about finding clues and working things out rather than stealth. So early on I was writing down notes from tidbits I found, until I got in to the party. Practically as soon as you walk in, some random character walks up to you and just tells you which Boyle is which. Then later on another character just approaches you and informs you which one is the target. Absolutely no need to do any thinking or searching for clues at all. They just hand it to you. On top of that, the target that the game tells you is the right one is not the one that the clues point you towards. Even when the clues make way more sense, and there's no explanation for why they are wrong. And as if there wasn't enough already, you can only talk to each Lady Boyle once, for no discernible reason. So you only get one chance to trick her in to giving you the chance for the non-lethal option. So it ends up being much harder to work around the obtuse nonsense logic of the game than it is to actually do what it's asking of you.
As for more narrative relevant points...
Finding out who actually assassinated the empress was pretty poorly handled. While the twist a little before that where the loyalists you're working with betray you to throw you under the bus was somewhat interesting, the game fails to bring any decent closure on finding out the identity of the real assassin. Or at least it didn't for me. But you find the guy, Daud, and if you're looking around the area for extra lore you can find that he's a bounty hunter who leads a team within a large oil company, and you even overhear a little moment where he confesses he regrets what he did. But you never confront him. You never speak to him, and his existence doesn't really tie in to anything else significant in the game. This company he works for only ever gets mentioned in flavour text, and it's never explained why he or his team have supernatural powers like you. I mean, I guess the powers themselves imply a connection to the Outsider, but it's never brought up anywhere. I did stealth past him and not attack him though, thinking maybe if I did that he might show up in a bigger role later, but it never happens. Maybe there would have been more if I did try to fight him? I know this Daud character shows up in future Dishonored stuff, so maybe it gets covered there, but here it was just a whole bunch of disappointing nothing.

The ending in general was pretty anticlimactic too. You go to where Emily is being held by the loyalists in the last level, open the door to the room where she is trapped, and then you get an instant hard cut to the epilogue cutscene where the Outsider narrates vaguely how things are good now. It feels pretty jarring jumping straight from that room in the lighthouse to this kind of post-hoc summary that takes place in a supernatural void. For all the comparisons I made before about how this game compares poorly to Deus Ex: HR, this ending feels like it does all the same things people criticise HR's ending for. Except I was never too bothered by HR's ending. Maybe because I went in knowing people didn't like it, or more because the ending narration felt like it had a bit more connection to the game itself. Or maybe I'm just giving it a lot of slack because I like the game. Either way, I wasn't a fan of it here.
Again this game has me thinking about my relationship with stealth games in general. A while back I came up with some ideas for why I didn't like them, but I semi-discarded them as not being as well informed as I thought they should be, to be as bold as they were. But I think they did ring true to some degree here. One thing that I tend to dislike in stealth games is that they have this sense that they really discourage you interacting with their systems. If you do, you've either already failed on some level because you've been spotted, or you're wasting valuable and limited resources that could be better used somewhere else. So you're pushed towards using the simplest and most boring method for everything, and any time anything more exciting happens, it's a punishment that makes you feel like you're doing it wrong. Another issue is the balancing act of how much information you give the player, and how you do it. If you give them too little, it feels unfair and frustrating, as if when you do get spotted, it's because of something you couldn't reasonably have known about, which feels unfair. Too much, and the game becomes too easy and boring, or the believability of the game itself is ruined. Any attempt to create a believable world is lost under excessive and arbitrary UI elements. I suppose the only games I've seen that get this balance right are the Deus Ex games, but my experience is limited, and those games' sci-fi setting allow them to get away with a busy UI. But anyway, I still don't think I'm some expert on the genre, and I'm sure anyone who is a fan is pulling their hair out reading this, but I did find that Dishonored fell afoul of these issues.

In a related sense, it also makes me ponder on the immersive sim genre. I talked before about my hot-and-cold feelings on them, but it does seem a lot of it comes down to the genre not really exploring its possibilities more. Usually what you're getting with games like this is basically a stealth RPG. But it doesn't have to be that. And in fact, we have seen how it doesn't have to be. These games are supposed to be about creating an interactive world where various different systems can bounce off each other to create options for players to approach problems in creative ways. But it usually seems like the systems these games choose are all stealth related. Except Bioshock. Some people might say that game doesn't qualify as this genre, but I think it at least shows a different direction it could explore. Making systems that lend themselves to open combat, rather than avoiding it. You can still have the sprawling level design and great world-building, and different tools to solve problems. But make those tools and problems something other than "get through unseen". In that sense the alternative doesn't even have to be combat, as much as I think that would still be very enjoyable. Come to think of it, wasn't there some indie immersive sim a while back about being a detective in a period setting England? Maybe that's a good example too.

Anyway, that's getting in to irrelevant rambling. As for Dishonored, I'm obviously not a fan. I doubt I'll bother to play the DLC or sequel, but it's not completely out of the question. Although, I think with this I have to conclude that I just don't get on with Arkane's games, despite them being a critical darling of sorts. I tried Prey a while back, and gave it several chances, and didn't like it. It even had some of the same issues as Dishonored actually. And isn't this first Dishonored supposed to be what people think of as the peak of the studio's work? If so, then that doesn't bode well for what I would think about the other stuff.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
God of War
Resident Evil 2 remake: Leon A and Claire B
February:
Triforce Heroes
8th Feb:
Donkey Konga Trilogy

Been plugging away at these over the last few months and bought an import copy of the third game to complete the set. A fun diversion.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (XOX)

Feb - That Last Of Us: Left Behind (PS4 Pro)

I played The Last of Us through for the first time in 2015 with the PS4 remaster and loved it, but despite intending to, I never went back to play the Left Behind content included on the disc. I had an afternoon unexpectedly free recently (I was sick so the family went out and left me in quarantine), so I thought this would be the perfect thing to while away a few lonely hours.

Over time I really had forgotten just how fantastic the standard of writing and creative execution is here compared to the video game norm. Characters you care about in a narrative that feels like it really matters. And they nail the most ethereal of things that is so often invoked yet even more rarely captured in games – Love.

From feeling like I didn’t really need a TLOU 2, I am now anticipating it as much as anything else this year. Roll on May!
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

January

Sayonara Wild hearts
I suck pretty badly at rhythm games. Like, can't-beat-the-second-level-in-REZ suck. Sayonara Wild hearts is no exception (I have so far managed only one gold rank), but because of its more forgiving nature, I could experience it in its entirety - and what a rush this is. This game is pure Good Feeling. Music by itself is not easy for me to get into, but coupled with some engaging visuals it creates experiences that are permanently lodged in my brain, and I will be humming this game for a while to come.

Bloodstained: Curse of the moon.
Finished my first playthrough of this on "classic mode", using all the characters. Its a fun throwback to my favourite style of Castlevania; A bunch of nice QOL improvements since the olden days, but a bit too overbearing in its signposting for my liking. And the plot (I know, I know), feels kinda half-baked, even for a Castlevania-ish game. Still a good game.
I am now occasionally making stabs at a second playthrough, but with a lot of repeated elements my main motivation is now to see if theres' a new final boss whos' less of an eyesore than the first.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
24th Jan - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
28th Jan - Far Lone Sails

10th Feb - Super Mario World

Since I have become a total Nintendo geek from the Wii console onwards, it's vaguely shocking that I've never bothered to play what many regard as their greatest ever game. So I thought I'd set that straight.

For context, I see the importance of SMB but don't love it. I liked SMB3 loads. I thought NSMBU was very underated and had huge amounts of fun with it. I heartily had fun with the Mario Maker games. And you know what? I didn't love this all that much...?

Maybe I just had too high expectations after years of build up to it but it wasn't as beautiful or paced as incredibly as I'd always heard, to me.

Maybe in an era where you only owned and played one game for 6 months straight, I'd have loved it, but at times I was totally baffled where to go; it was almost like a Metroidvania. It had me hunting pipes to go down on levels I'd already beaten in order to proceed. Requiring me to carry a Power switch through multiple rooms and tunnels to the exact point required to work. Use the Cape to fly across huge expanses of level, despite never demonstrating to me that it had that ability.

I found the bosses insanely easy, but some sections frankly impossible. And I found I was spamming the restore point save ability by about 4 levels in. Which may be a problem in itself... the sense of achievement for figuring this stuff out wasn't there like I guess it would have been at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why it's so revered. It's really precise to control and highly charming. It also seems a lot more carefree than modern Mario games. The way he just rubs out the Fortress on one level with a broom, blushes when Peach kisses him, the wonky type used throughout, Yoshi being scared to go in the Ghost Houses. And there were loads of power ups, enemies and ideas I've not seen again since, a lot of which were really fun and inventive.

But yeah... I was left a bit confused. Listened to the C&R episode today and it made me glad that more recently there tends to be someone on the show new to the game, to view it with fresh eyes. I wonder if they'd have liked it as much as the crew did?

All in all, I did enjoy it, but often found myself wanting to get through it rather than loving it. Maybe in a world of Guacamelee, Tropical Freeze, Celeste, etc its just showing its age.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
A bit of catching up to do here

Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Was meant to play something else but I was too tempted to play this again. Finished two playthroughs, its still great.

Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
I had only played the first PSP game before this, but this game pulled me right in. Although its not an open world I enjoyed exploring all its corners, its a beautiful and interesting game world. The story is decent but has some issues. I really enjoyed the incidental chat between Mimir, Atreus and Kratos, usually about lore, when traveling on the boat, I always wanted to hear more.

Loved the solid weighty combat, I even took down two Valkyries and I'm not usually one for the optional harder stuff. I also did a fair amount of the sidequests.

I thought it ended a bit abruptly, the final boss didn't feel like one at the time. A lot has been set up for the next game and I definitely want to play that. I'm partly through the podcast episode now too.

Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Fuck, I think this might be better than FTL. For those that don't know,Into The Breach an isometric strategy game where you take control of three mechs and complete missions across four islands. Each mission is 3-6 turns long and has a number of objectives to gain reputation (spent on upgrades when completing an island), grid energy (lost when enemies attack cities, run out of this and its game over) and power upgrades for the mechs.

The bitesize nature of the game is perfect for the Switch and the short missions encourage taking time over moves. Good too as mistakes can be costly and I had many failed runs before I completed it.

While quite distinct in its mechanics and world from FTL (although one encounter suggests they're in the same universe), the tone, overarching design and even plot of the game clearly mark this as FTL's spiritual successor and I think its a worthy one too.

Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
The free Wargroove DLC was released on Switch last week and I jumped straight in. It adds a new short campaign (10 levels) featuring two new commanders (the twins act as one) leading a clan of rogues. I think of them as comedy Scots, playing up the accent and all, for a light-hearted game like this it works.

The quirk for the DLC is that the missions involve controlling two allied armies led seperately by Wulfar and the Twins allowing for two players to play local co-op with seperate controllers. The game asks for the person to hold a button before the start of each turn so it can still be played with one controller.

Aside from that, there are no major changes and the game is still a really good Advance Wars clone (I'm not being dismissive using the word clone here, its just the easiest way to describe it).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: January 26th, 2020, 5:40 pm Jan 10th - Spider-Man (PS4)
Jan 26th - Children of Morta (XBO)
Feb 10th - Indivisible (XBO)

Odd one this. It starts off putting the emphasis on its combat system and feels like it’s going to be a streamline take on the JRPG. But then it starts adding in more and more world traversal mechanics and you realise you’re now spending more time on these Metroidvania elements.

It’s sometimes a little over fiddly, it requires more precision than the joypad is going to give. Also one or two of the boss fights don’t signpost well leaving you with no idea what you’re actually meant to be doing. (And the last boss is both amazingly clever and super frustrating at the same time).

But the presentation... this is from the team that made Skullgirls and the animation is top tier. As is the voice acting, it’s somewhere between the overly earnest delivery most English JRPG localisations have, and the free form of an improv performance. It’s really well done, knowing without being cynical. Also a very diverse set of accents in play (even if it is a little weird effectively having Symmetra from Overwatch as the villain).

The setting is unusual too, it’s drawing very heavily from Indian and Arabian mythology, which is well trodden ground in books and movies but is rarely seen in games outside of the Prince of Persia series. That adds a *lot* to its charm.

I like it, but I suspect many will find it to be a hybrid of styles that doesn’t quite mesh.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

1 - Batman; Arkham Origins
2 - Return To Arkham: Batman Arkham Asylum - PS4 Pro

3 - Sayonara Wild Hearts - PS4 Pro

As someone else in the thread already said, this game is 'pure Good Feeling' and I had a blast playing through, Not much meat on these bones but whats there is delicious weird trippy goodness.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Gylt

An enjoyable horror romp with nods to Alien Isolation and Silent Hill. Genuinely unsettling. I only died on the final boss and I only had the option of 2 of the 3 endings as I didn't pick up enough of the collectables even though I thought I'd been pretty thorough.

Worth checking out when it comes to Xbox/PlayStation but maybe not if it launches at £29.99 as it did on Stadia.