Videogame Deals

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Videogame Deals

Post by James »

Also on the Switch eShop, the SteamWorld series is on pretty-heavy discount until the 12th Feb.

I picked up Dig for £2.24 and Heist for £3.74 (both 75% off) which seem like steals, given the praise I've heard for these games. Dig 2 and Quest are also on sale, for £5.99 (60% off) and 15.74 (30% off), respectively.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've only played the first Dig game, but I enjoyed it. Quite short, it seemed to end just as I was really getting in to it, but you can't moan at that price!
James

Post by James »

Finished SteamWorld Dig earlier in the week, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It kept me entertained for around 8hrs, which was more than I expected. Can't wait to start Heist, and I even picked up Dig 2 for cheap as well.

In other news, Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride are now available for free on the Epic Game Store, until 13th Feb.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The Bureau X-Com Declassified is £2.99 on Xbox One backwards compatible. It got mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it, the story was good too. Think Xcom but 3rd person shooter rather than the standard fare. Permadeath and multiple endings too.

Actually on the list please if it isn't already :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:52 am The Bureau X-Com Declassified is £2.99 on Xbox One backwards compatible. It got mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it, the story was good too. Think Xcom but 3rd person shooter rather than the standard fare. Permadeath and multiple endings too.

Actually on the list please if it isn't already :)
Amazing how your memory works isn't it?. Here's my post from 6 years ago :lol:

"The Bureau: Xcom Declassified.

Imagine Mass Effect 2 with every aspect of it going from a 10/10 game to a 6/10 and that pretty much sums this up. It outstays it's welcome by about 3 hours and the story jumps the shark about 3/4 of the way through. The setting was good but the game is too frustrating to recommend sadly."
James

Post by James »

DomsBeard wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:52 am Actually on the list please if it isn't already :)
10pts to you, Domsbeard!

What feels like a relative rarity these days - a recent game, from a big publisher, that isn't on the BIG spreadsheet.

Well, it is now! :mrgreen:
James

Post by James »

Epic Store free games this week are Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Aztez. Free until 20th Feb.

Aztez looks pretty striking, I think. Could go for some side-scrolling beat 'em up action!

Fair warning: The Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs, Warhorse Studios, and particularly the Director, Daniel Vávra, have made some pretty-illuminating statements about white-washing (in Kingdom Come: Deliverance) and G*merG*te. I certainly won't be downloading or playing that particular game, and figure some folks on here would appreciate a heads up so they can take a look into the issues surrounding this game themselves.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

James wrote: February 13th, 2020, 6:32 pm Epic Store free games this week are Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Aztez. Free until 20th Feb.

Aztez looks pretty striking, I think. Could go for some side-scrolling beat 'em up action!

Fair warning: The Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs, Warhorse Studios, and particularly the Director, Daniel Vávra, have made some pretty-illuminating statements about white-washing (in Kingdom Come: Deliverance) and G*merG*te. I certainly won't be downloading or playing that particular game, and figure some folks on here would appreciate a heads up so they can take a look into the issues surrounding this game themselves.
What I remember most from the discussion surrounding its release was GamesTM's unprecedented departure from its usual editorial style, even finishing their review with a moral judgement on the type of person who would choose to buy the game.

My time with Deliverance was enriched by the real-world debate surrounding it, with competing historians, of similar credentials, debating the accuracy of what was on screen. Vávra's comments will turn many permanently off the game and that is perfectly understandable but the debate itself was also illuminating, particularly of the subjectivity that lies at the heart of our accepted histories.

It's an excellent game. Buggy as hell on console but subsequent patches tidied it up somewhat. The combat is tricky to master but challenging and rewarding. It was also one of the most immersive experiences I've ever had. The console versions clearly lack the heft and fidelity of the PC release but it still felt and looked 'real', especially the logical layout of the towns and the roll of the hills. There was a subtlety to the landscape that made a mockery of the artifice of even our most celebrated virtual worlds. It's a beautiful environment to walk around in.

I'd recommend the game to anyone looking for something deep and involved but do your homework first. Vávra is a very divisive individual.
James

Post by James »

Thanks, ThirdMan! Deliverance certainly inspired a lot of discussion, the historical debates in particular seem important to have, and it shows the difficulty of "historical accuracy" when so much of the information we have is imperfect and heavily filtered.
It's a shame that (for me) the remarks of the game's director overshadow the hard work of the rest of the development team. But for everyone else, free on Epic is a great deal.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Looks like Assassin's Creed Syndicate will be free on Epic in a couple of days, funnily enough I just revisited it a bit over the weekend. I can certainly recommend at least a quick (and free) jaunt around a digital recreation of London that beautiful, if you haven't tried the game before.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm probably just telling myself this but Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is £16.50 on Stadia. Bloody infuriating as I paid £12 for the standard version at CEX two days ago :x . It is leaving Game Pass shortly which made me pick it up as I had recently started it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah but... at least you actually own the version you bought and you'll never get any lag or screen corruption or... y'know.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Picked up Doom 1 & 2 for £1.20 each and Doom 3 for £2.40 on the Switch eShop. The 2016 motion-sickness nightmare Doom is half price at £24.99 too.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

I have a code for Forza Horizon 4 including the Lego Speed Champions DLC. I won't play it but I don't want to see it going to waste. It's free to a good home.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

stvnorman wrote: February 26th, 2020, 10:49 am Picked up Doom 1 & 2 for £1.20 each and Doom 3 for £2.40 on the Switch eShop. The 2016 motion-sickness nightmare Doom is half price at £24.99 too.
Just grabbed Doom 3. Insane prices!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I grabbed the Doom 1 & 2 as well.

I already had Doom 3 (which is wonderful on the Switch handheld with headphones)and promptly played through that when it came out.

Very much enjoyed it and would easily recommend it to any Doom fan that missed it round first time.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

ThirdMan wrote: February 26th, 2020, 4:04 pm I have a code for Forza Horizon 4 including the Lego Speed Champions DLC. I won't play it but I don't want to see it going to waste. It's free to a good home.
If this is still free then give us a DM.

Ta
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

dezm0nd wrote: February 26th, 2020, 9:18 pm
ThirdMan wrote: February 26th, 2020, 4:04 pm I have a code for Forza Horizon 4 including the Lego Speed Champions DLC. I won't play it but I don't want to see it going to waste. It's free to a good home.
If this is still free then give us a DM.

Ta
You are the lucky winner. I'll pop it across.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

James wrote: February 15th, 2020, 7:59 am Thanks, ThirdMan! Deliverance certainly inspired a lot of discussion, the historical debates in particular seem important to have, and it shows the difficulty of "historical accuracy" when so much of the information we have is imperfect and heavily filtered.
It's a shame that (for me) the remarks of the game's director overshadow the hard work of the rest of the development team. But for everyone else, free on Epic is a great deal.
I commend you for taking such a principled stance, as I believe you're still doing with RDR2. I find it quite easy to boycott individual artists. Roman Polanski is the obvious one and I also have no interest in Louis C.K. anymore. Ditto the numerous authors who have went too far off-piste for me over the years. And don't even mention Morrissey! There's better ways to spend my time and money.

But when it comes to games I find I can easily hide behind the collective nature of the project. The quality work of hundreds, even thousands of people, supersedes the negative culture within that workplace. Or so I tell myself. In truth, it's simply a lack of conviction on my part. I'm not sure what it would have taken for me to ignore Rockstar's latest. That's my ugly truth.

Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be the next litmus test. CDPR have said they're in a period of unavoidable crunch. That's worrying when you consider that they themselves described the working conditions during The Witcher 3 as 'inhumane'. They're making all the right noises about DLC, back-compatibility etc. but ultimately they're a company with a very serious black mark on their CV. And let's not forget their corporate colleagues over at GOG.com and that site's calamitous, transphobic social-media presence.

I wonder what, if any, effect that will have on the sales figures for Cyberpunk. Virtually none, I suspect.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdMan wrote: February 29th, 2020, 12:55 pm I wonder what, if any, effect that will have on the sales figures for Cyberpunk. Virtually none, I suspect.
I suspect so too. It's pointless to expect any broad consumer base to care about anything other than their own entitlement and naked self-interest. If people at large had moral reservations as to how they spend their money, the world would be a very different place.

When it comes to better working conditions for AAA developers, I'm not sure what can be done. Somebody around here once mentioned unionization, which I suppose would be a step in the right direction. But the entire system is working against them. Publishers only care about ROI and view devs as little more than disposable cogs in the machine, 99% of the press is completely centered around recency bias (check out the bimonthly "Best Games in the X Series" list on NintendoLife that inevitably puts the latest Switch game at the top spot accompanied by a handy amazon affiliate link, of course), and the vast majority of players are just foaming at the mouth about the latest and shiniest for as long as their broken attention span allows them to. Which all perpetuates the status quo hype cycle that puts maximum pressure on devs to meet all these ludicrous deadlines.

It's all connected, one way or another.