Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by DomsBeard »

FemalePheromones wrote: March 8th, 2020, 2:30 pm Jedi: Fallen Order.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm really struggling to feel pulled in by it.
I'm a huge Star Wars fan and found it really obnoxious. Binned it off 4 or 5 hours in and watched the end on YouTube. Don't get the praise at all I've had more fun with Jedi Outcast and Force Unleashed.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

See this is the thing it feels like it is a different game in a Star Wars skin to draw people in. I find it hard to care about the story or any of the characters though which seems weird as the Mandalorian was all new characters and I loved that.

A lightsaber wielding player does not a good game make.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

As a huge fan of the Jedi Knight series since what, when Mysteries of the Sith came out, it is weird how I have no compulsion to play that game. Especially considering it's a Respawn joint!
FemalePheromones

Jon Cheetham wrote: March 9th, 2020, 5:33 pm As a huge fan of the Jedi Knight series since what, when Mysteries of the Sith came out, it is weird how I have no compulsion to play that game. Especially considering it's a Respawn joint!
I'd definitely say don't bother unless you find it cheap.

Saying that I only paid £20 and I'm a bit miffed.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I managed to get Black Mesa running well on my laptop and i'm chuffed to pieces. My god, it's intense! It was such a good idea using the Source engine to power the original games location as the sense of atmosphere and dread really oozes in.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I started Sleeping Dogs a few nights ago. I think I forgot it was an open world game? I might have not picked it had I remembered but I'm glad I did. It's a lot of fun so far and I find myself doing all the different side quests, including karaoke. It's very pretty, the setting feels incredibly fresh and, outside of that stupid Death by a Thousand Cuts mission, I'm enjoying the combat!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ori Knight is what I'm calling this new one.

Really enjoying Ori. Loads of Hollow Knight in there.
FemalePheromones

dezm0nd wrote: March 10th, 2020, 9:21 pm Ori Knight is what I'm calling this new one.

I had heard Ori has a sword now rather than just the floating ball of power.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Control and almost finished I think. I'm at the bit where you have to to clear some Siphons (that's not a spoiler, if you've not played the game it won't mean a thing to you! Even if you have it still won't mean a thing until you get to that exact section). Died a couple of times before giving up for the night. I've enjoyed it, but it's not perfect by any means. More thoughts once I'm done.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:11 pm I started Sleeping Dogs a few nights ago. I think I forgot it was an open world game? I might have not picked it had I remembered but I'm glad I did. It's a lot of fun so far and I find myself doing all the different side quests, including karaoke. It's very pretty, the setting feels incredibly fresh and, outside of that stupid Death by a Thousand Cuts mission, I'm enjoying the combat!
Oh man I loved that game on PS3, totally forgot I had the PS4 version until you posted that. Might go back to it some time as although I finished it on PS3 I only ever played the remaster for a couple of hours. Yeah the combat was good, lifted pretty much from Batman and copied by everything since, but it still felt fresh at the time. Good missions, too. I also liked the fact you didn't even get a gun until well in to the game.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: March 10th, 2020, 11:44 pm
duskvstweak wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:11 pm I started Sleeping Dogs a few nights ago. I think I forgot it was an open world game? I might have not picked it had I remembered but I'm glad I did. It's a lot of fun so far and I find myself doing all the different side quests, including karaoke. It's very pretty, the setting feels incredibly fresh and, outside of that stupid Death by a Thousand Cuts mission, I'm enjoying the combat!
Oh man I loved that game on PS3, totally forgot I had the PS4 version until you posted that. Might go back to it some time as although I finished it on PS3 I only ever played the remaster for a couple of hours. Yeah the combat was good, lifted pretty much from Batman and copied by everything since, but it still felt fresh at the time. Good missions, too. I also liked the fact you didn't even get a gun until well in to the game.
Yeah, it almost feels like I could play the whole game gun-less.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

FemalePheromones wrote: March 10th, 2020, 9:25 pm
dezm0nd wrote: March 10th, 2020, 9:21 pm Ori Knight is what I'm calling this new one.

I had heard Ori has a sword now rather than just the floating ball of power.
More than that, too. Map system is similar (not 100%) and Ori now has charms to use for character mods.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I played about 20 minutes of Blasphemous on Switch the other night, and despite enjoying it, decided I really needed to play something a bit more upbeat at the moment so put it away for later.

With that in mind, I started Yoku's Island Express. I bought this ages ago and have been saving it for I don't know when, but so glad I started it because its a whimsical delight. However, it's also bringing out a bit of anxiety, because I'm stressing about not having a mission/quest log, and all the little characters keep giving me things to do and I'm not sure how to keep track of them. I keep stressing I'm not going the right way, or doing what I'm meant to be doing. In short, I think I might be playing it 'wrong'.

I know a lot of others on here have played and enjoyed the game, so tell me - should I be concentrating on just doing what the insects tell me to, or is it more of a casual, sedate exploration type of game, where you might happen to chance across what the others are looking for and you might not. Because every time I go 'off track' just looking around the world I get a nagging in the back of my mind I'm meant to be doing something else and there doesn't seem to be a way of having a currently set objective or anything.

Overall though, I love the design of the game and as a big pinball fan that aspect of the game is surprisingly satisfying. Whilst it's obviously not quite realistic physics, the 'ball' does behave in a fairly predictable way and my favorite sections so far are when you're kind of locked in to a table with objectives to compete before moving on.

Finally, in case where I am is of any use to anyone who replies, I've just been told that the wood god or whoever it is has been attacked and I need to find three people to help fix him.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I decided to have another stab at Mirror's Edge Catalyst, since it sprung up in my mind again recently. I was always really disappointed with not liking it before, so wanted to give it another chance. This time I've managed to stick with it, and I'm already most of the way through. I was planning on waiting until finishing it to actually talk about it, because initially it seemed like I was going to get through it super quickly. I completed like half of the main story in one day, or at least that's what the stats screen said. But after that progress seemed to come much more slowly, so the latter half has stretched out a lot. The difference in this attempt is this time I decided to completely ignore everything to do with the open world and just mainline the story, since all that optional stuff was just atrocious last time I tried. I have mostly kept to that, but did once or twice give some side content a little look, and it's still atrocious. But for the main story content, it's a lot more enjoyable, but I still have loads of problems with it. The game is really stunning to look at, with some great art design, and it can occasionally deliver those great moments of flow that the first game had, but it still seems to get in its own way a whole lot, and is infuriatingly flawed in a lot of ways. I think I'll wait until finishing to dig in to it properly, but yeah. Despite me managing to stick with it this time, I still have a lot of the same problems that made me bounce off this game so hard last time.

And with everyone talking about the sequel recently, I also started Ori and the Blind Forest today. On and off over the years I've been interested in this game, with it obviously being very artistically appealing, and it being so well regarded. But I was always put off by hearing that it was supposed to be pretty hard. I like Metroidvanias, but I'm bad at platformers. I haven't put much time in to it yet, but those initial impressions do seem to ring true of the game itself. Amazing to look at, very touching opening, very hard gameplay. I have a feeling I might not even be able to finish it. Might drop the difficulty down.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just popped Alien Isolation on and got a rare achievement that only 1.97% of players have.

Killed by the xenomorph 100 times :D
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Regarding yoku: I found the side stuff to be front loaded? Dont really remember it bogging me down in the end
Cass

Post by Cass »

Back on the forums after a long break. Found myself quite fancying playing Final Fantasy X so downloaded the HD re-release and randomly thought "wonder if C&R has done an episode on this?" Turns out you've been busy in the seven years since I was last on these forums!

Regarding the game: I'm actually really liking it. Battle system is unsurprisingly great but also the characters are way more likeable than I remember, Tidus in particular. People give him a lot of shit but I'm actually finding his acting and backstory way more sympathetic as an adult. Go figure.

We're also experiencing rolling blackouts here in South Africa so I've busted out the 3DS for the long periods of darkness. Getting back into Bravely Default in the wee dark hours, and I'm going to suggest it as a C&R game as a nice counterpoint to the FFIII remakes. Feels a lot like the potential of that game, realised.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

SEVEN YEARS?!

Welcome back!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Seven years :lol: .

8-)

Been sampling quite a bit of new and old recently, I'll leave the old to the retro thread though.

Played through Halo 4 & 5 with Dez and Si and have promptly moved onto the Division 2, which I am slowly falling into love with.

Gotta be honest, I've really been enjoying getting back into online gaming again over the last 6 months or so.

It's by no coincidence that meeting up with Simon and Darran most nights at 8PM for a quick hour has set a standard that's not only easy to commit to, but is long enough to progress on things at a steady pace and not milk the fun too much.

We've finished Luigi's Mansion Online mode (easy & hard), Metroid Prime Federation Force, Tri-Force Heroes, Halo 4, Halo 5 and now we're into Div2. Good times.

I'm currently going through what feels like a messy divorce with Axiom Verge. The last time we spoke it slammed the door closed and we've not spoken since.

Animal Crossing. Bring it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just started Shadow Of The Tomb Raider today, and man, Lara seems kind of a jerk.

Her friend is all like, "I can't stop thinking about all those people dying", and she's just "yeah, now about this riddle..."

:lol: