Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Simonsloth »

Yeah it sort of finished with a whimper. The beginning was brilliant though. Almost like they were in a hurry to get it out and left a lot on the editing room floor.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Personally I struggle to think of anything particularly positive about the Halo 5 campaign. I thought pretty much all of it was quite awful. The first half has you running around dull grey box levels, chasing after Master Chief picking up the pieces of his much more interesting sounding adventure, where the plot barely moves and the characters are all extremely boring. Then it culminates in the absolute worst scene in the series when you finally catch up to him, where he and Locke have a slap fight in front of a teleporter like a couple of limp plastic action figures, framed as if it's supposed to be some epic dramatic battle. Then the latter half of the game actually threatens to get interesting with some more visually impressive levels, but the plot completely goes off the rails with what they try to do with Cortana. The worst bit is that they actually have a plot point that could have been a central part of a way more interesting story with the Elite civil war, but it's just in the background for one level and has no impact on anything. And they completely waste the best character in the series by having Arbiter just kind of stand around in one spot in that level. And of course we can't forget that dismal repeated boss fight they kept recycling. I honestly think 4 is a far superior campaign than 5. 4 at least has some things going for it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)

I actually did start a Hard Vergil run before this, but I gave up on it after not very long. After going through the high of the Hard run with Dante, going back to Vergil was not very fun. I did unlock the last few moves I hadn't on my previous run, but that didn't do much to make him feel much better to play, so he doesn't benefit from the same improvements as playing NG+ with Dante does. So I just carried on with Dante instead.

I also did some digging and found out what is going on with the weird excessive difficulty modes in this game. It's pretty common knowledge among the fanbase that the original pre-Special Edition release of this game was harder in the western version. Or at least the US version, not sure about EU. The default Normal mode in that is actually the Hard mode from the JP version. That much I knew already. But as a result of that, it turns out this mode is the replacement Hard mode in the original US version. And so for the Special Edition they changed the difficulty of Normal and Hard back to the original JP version, but kept US Hard mode as well, renamed to Very Hard. Very convoluted, but it makes sense. This mode also sits as a pretty natural middle ground between Hard and Dante Must Die too I think, so it's not that redundant after all. It splits the difference between the two modes by taking some, but not all of the extra attack patterns and enemy placement as DMD, and putting the damage/health numbers in the middle too. So that makes more sense than having the ridiculous jump from Hard, which a fun and doable challenge, to DMD, which is absurdly brutal, near one-hit-kills on everything.

As for my thoughts on playing this mode, honestly it wasn't as fun as Hard. As is often the case with these games, here I reached a point stretching to the limit of my abilities, and the result is aggravation. In a way it was somewhat similar to playing the game for the first time again, struggling with the controls, and getting beaten around. Except this time it's not for lack of skill or unlocks. Or well, I guess it is the former, but instead it's because the game is pushing too far, rather than me being as lacking as before. Either way, Hard is the sweet spot. And with that I think I'm done with this game now. Despite the frustrations, I did end up liking it a lot. I finally got to properly enjoy it and explore what it has to offer, and that previous run was up there with some of the better experiences I've had with the series.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Alex79uk wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:41 am
mikeleddy83 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 11:13 pm
Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Showdown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*

*replayed
Mar - 198X
Any good?
Sadly quite average, a few cool little things in there but at a very brief 70 minutes this wasn't exactly what I expected. It has a tiny bit of Yuzo Koshiro music in it which was a surprise but I'd only really recommend it on a heavy discount. In this months humble choice for anyone interested
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh that's a shame, it looked really promising from the trailer.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Huge improvement on Kiwami, story was decent and a really good antagonist
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

1 - Batman; Arkham Origins
2 - Return To Arkham: Batman Arkham Asylum - PS4 Pro
3 - Sayonara Wild Hearts - PS4 Pro
4- Death Stranding - PS4 Pro
5 - Return To Arkham: Arkham City - PS4 Pro

Unlike Asylum I've only played through City once back when it originally released and remember enjoying it but feeling slightly disappointed. Not so much this time around, enjoyed the broader scope and open but manageable world, especially the vertically as you can't beat the feeling of surveying a group of thugs from a rooftop and then sweeping down to the beat the crap out of them. On the downside, the plot is a bit messy but ultimately came together in the end and the side missions are a mixed bag. Oh, also seen some articles criticising these remasters but I found both to be pretty good, everything looked great in 4K and i didn't have any performance issues.

6 - Arkham VR - PSVR

Nice little VR experience, have played through once before which meant this time there were riddler puzzles to find and solve which made things more interesting than the first playthrough.

7- LA Noire VR - PSVR

Big fan of the original game and couldn't wait to dive into 1940's LA in VR but it really stands out that this was developed without VR in mind, on foot movement and item interaction just about work but feel cumbersome and greatly reduced compared to the main game. Shooting and driving (in particular) work a lot better and provided some of the best moments but overall can't really recommended , unless you can find cheaply!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Showdown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X

*replayed
Mar - Missed messages.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

[
Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Max X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)

Played through this in a week or so and fairly enjoyed it. I wasn't blown away, performance was poor on base PS4 and the lack of variety in locations and enemies was disappointing. The story was OK, but not amazing. The best part of the game was really the moment to moment combat - flying through the air, launching desks at enemies before slamming in to them was always exciting. There were one or two standout moments - I won't spoil it, but navigating that maze once you have the item that enables you to do so was cool. Jesse's out loud "that was awesome!" once you clear it almost mirrored the words coming out of my own mouth at the same time! I liked the very final mission, enjoyed what they did there. Overall glad I played it, but not a game that'll go down as one of my favorites.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I appear to have gone through my usual cycle of grief with Bayonetta again.

At first I found the combat pretty tough and unforgiving on account of having to regain the necessary muscle memory after months of DMC.

Once it clicked I was like "Well, this isn't half bad actually. Maybe I've misjudged this game after all."

Shortly thereafter, the bullshit sequences started piling on and I was ready to chuck the damn thing out the window.

Towards the end of the game I started warming up to it again. A couple of great bosses there and that tower chapter is simply wonderful.

I started a Hard playthrough immediately after finishing it on Normal, which I found to be a much more pleasant experience overall. Knowing what to expect ahead of time really takes the edge off.

I will give the game full credit for its fantastic presentation despite its modest production values and I can definitely see why so many purists hold the combat of this game in such high regard, especially when it comes to the humanoid bosses. But for me, the sequel is simply a much more polished overall package despite the one or other mechanical issue. There is also something a bit too... mashy and imprecise about the combat that doesn't quite sit well with me. It might be due to my personal play style of course, but I can't say I've had the same issue with any of its direct competitors.

In any case, it's a bit strange for me to constantly hear it being described as the Gold Standard of character action games. Can't really agree to that given the myriad of little issues.

Interestingly enough, I decided to forego any efforts at Pure Platinum-ing the whole thing and to focus on beating the various modes instead. Too many aggravating sequences and cheap deaths for me to bother with that at the moment. I think that really underlines the issues I have with this game as opposed to something like DMC5.

Next up: Unlocking Sai Fung and completing Non-Stop ∞ Climax & Angel Slayer. We'll see how that goes.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

08/02 - Dishonored
28/02 - EQQO
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst

This was an infuriating game, but nevertheless with some brief flashes of what it could have been. So much of it dragged down the experience though, getting in its own way constantly with messy and poorly conceived design. This was a game I so wanted to like though, being a big fan of the original, which was clearly so ripe for improvement in a sequel. I even gave this game two chances, having tried it before a few years back, but previously gave up on it early on because of its multitude of problems that drove me up the wall. Because of that, on this run I decided to only focus on the main story, since one of the things that pushed me away before was the awful side content. I did give them a quick go this time around too, just to see if they were really as bad as I remembered. They were.

But bringing things back to my thoughts on this attempt, I have to give credit to the game for some of the things I do like about it. Visually, it is stunning. It really is beautiful, and I think it does do justice to the really clean and stylish look of the original, even surpassing it arguably. The city of Glass is amazing to look at, with brilliant abstract architecture, contrasting highlights of bold colour against the immaculate white concrete and blinding sunlight. The scenes of skylines it creates are really impressive too, showing they really thought about how this setting looks from virtually any angle. It captures what was great about the look of the original, and evolves it in a logical way that feels faithful to it. The soundtrack is similarly faithful in style to the original, and is nice enough, but it didn't really feel as prominent or iconic as in the original. I can't really pinpoint why that is though. It could be down to a number of issues including how it was used in the game, rather than the music itself.

It does also remain committed to the streamlined and focused traversal mechanics of the original too, which could have gone very awry. Despite there being three skill trees, and a new grappling hook tool, thankfully that doesn't overcomplicate or trivialize the parkour mechanics at all. Everything that was there before is intact, and the grappling hook is used in a minimal way which fits in well with the other mechanics, not feeling like it's taking away emphasis from your platforming abilities and just letting you press a button to let your tool to the job for you.

But here's where the problems start. Despite the mechanics having all the same features as they did in the first game, they are almost never able to create the same kinds of moments of flow and fluidity that made the first such a gem in the rough. They do happen very occasionally, but it's exceedingly infrequent. Much less than the original. The main problem is the level design. It is just awful, and it feels like it was not designed with care at all. Obstacles are placed very poorly, with it seeming like every other moment there's something that is just too close or too far that you can't help but bonk in to or miss. So every 15 seconds or so you are stopped in your tracks, stumbling over something that feels like it wasn't your fault for not being able to gracefully navigate. Often when you try to do something more complex to overcome that problem by looking for a less obvious way around, it makes the problem worse instead. So the vast majority of time playing is fumbling around knocking in to things, slowing you down and never really letting you apply your abilities properly. It's the complete opposite of what sort of experience the game should be about, and it's incredibly frustrating.

You'd think the open world structure of the game would be the culprit for why the level design is like this, but I don’t think it’s quite that clear cut. The open world in general was something that I tried to ignore as much as I could playing this time, instead only really traversing it between story chapters. So I could clearly see that a lot of the world is designed in a way that you are meant to be travelling through it in the same directions over and over. I don’t think this is a problem limited to playing like that either, as this problem still cropped up in the brief times I did try to aimlessly explore. The world is laid out in such a way that shows the designers expected you to be moving through it a certain way, in a limited number of directions. The world itself is also separated in to small chunks where there are only a few narrow paths connecting them. So it’s not really possible for you to approach an area in a way that wasn’t intended. You’re always funnelled through it by a small number of intended paths. Yet they still feel like they weren’t designed in a way that flowed naturally along them. And on top of that, the problem also persists in the totally linear story missions. So there they have even less excuse. The constrictive paths around the open world also bring up another issue, in that it has you going back and forth through the same sections over and over again, regardless of how much you decide to delve in to side content. It feels like unnecessary padding, and it gets very tiring fumbling over the same poorly placed fences and air ducts, that never seem to get any easier with practice.

The game also includes a togglable assist mechanic that shows you a red streak flying through the level in front of you to show you the way. At first I didn’t like this idea, as it sounded patronising, and I turned it off on my first attempt at this game. This time though I had it on, as it seems it’s rather necessary, despite the narrow paths you are running through. In fact they make it more needed in a way. Since the way to your destination is rarely ever in a straight line, it’s usually impossible to just follow the objective icon as the crow flies. Yet you’ll sometimes come to a crossroads where the way forward isn’t clear, so you’ll need this assist to tell you which is the right path. Except the streak doesn’t always show up on screen when you need it to, so you’ll just have to stop and wait for it to show up again, adding yet another pace-breaker to the gameplay.

Even though these issues aren’t necessarily caused by the game being open world, as it is clearly designed in a way that is trying to combat the problems one might expect would show up, it ends up making other problems anyway. And perhaps it would have been better if they just went with a fully linear game again where they could spend time properly honing the level design, and not having any part of it wear out its welcome.

The visual design can also be another huge problem, which adds a bit of a double-edged blade to the fantastic aesthetics. As the name suggests, the city of Glass is full of very reflective and transparent materials. As well as a lot of dramatic abstract geometric sculpture to gawk at. Unfortunately, this completely messes with any sense of depth perception in a lot of areas. It’s frequently hard to tell if something that looks like an open doorway actually is, or whether something is a reflective surface or merely behind a window. Add that to art installations that have no frame of reference for size, and it plays havoc with your judgement of how close something is or what route through it you can take.

This game also overhauls the combat mechanics, in a way that sounds good on paper, but in practice is yet another story of clunky awkwardness that just doesn’t come together. Gone is any ability to use guns, and instead combat is focused around hand-to-hand fights that emphasise movement and evasiveness. Sounds like an obvious change to make. But in reality it’s a sloppy feeling system which feels vague and unrefined. Your hits have very little feeling of impact, and inputs have an inconsistent response time, which are sometimes just dropped entirely. The dodge move is jarring and unreliable, and can get you very confused by turning you in a direction you didn’t intend, which can frequently be in to the attacks of someone coming from off-screen. So in that case you’d expect the answer to be not letting yourself get surrounded. Run around, hit enemies off jumps and wall runs, which the game does encourage. Except doing so means you have to take your eyes off the enemy, while they chase after you and thus move position, so you can’t set up an attack properly. You get a little radar on screen to show you what directions enemies are around you, but with no idea of distance that isn’t helpful. Your more powerful parkour attacks also have a very inconsistent homing ability. So you might set up what you think has to be a good attack, only to face-plant like a fool and get surrounded. Even more than the general traversal mechanics, it’s an awful, clumsy, messy system that just doesn’t come together in a satisfying way at all.

The story is rather dull, but it has some strangely pointed moments to it, that it unfortunately fails to do anything worthwhile with. The central plot isn’t anything interesting, and feels like it’s going through the motions to get you to the next objective, despite the presentation looking like it’s aiming for something much higher than that. All the characters are either bland or unlikeable, so it doesn’t have any strong personalities to hold it up either. It does however have an oddly coherent and fleshed out anti-capitalist bent to it though, with some unexpectedly salient rhetoric and critique. Various aspects of the setting and background story details show a pretty intentional and interesting use of this setting for genuine criticism, if a little on-the-nose at points. Someone at DICE clearly knew what they were doing, and how something that might appear on the surface as a gleaming techno-paradise is actually a hypercapitalist dystopia, and how to use that to make points about our own society. But it predictably drops the ball when it introduces a character who is the leader of the underground resistance group. She’s one of the more unlikeable characters, and is portrayed as an abrasive fanatic who is willing to justify any horrific act as merely being for the good of “the collective”. Kind of like Bioshock Infinite, it’s very “both sides-y”, where it has little to no understanding of what people who oppose such a system actually want or what drives them. That does make the good points all the stranger though. How does one have such a thorough understanding of such criticisms, yet somehow thinks the person making them wants nothing more than to get away with wanton destruction and mayhem?

Finally finishing this game is something that felt like it was a long time coming. Closing another chapter off in my backlog that I was meaning to get around to for years. Although I don’t think I would’ve felt particularly bad had I not done so. This wasn’t really a positive experience, despite flashes of potential. For a long time I had the impression I wasn’t missing out on much with this game, and now I finally have seen it for myself, that has been confirmed. Even though the original game means a lot to me, right from the start this one always seemed like there was something off about it. It took so long to come out that it long since missed its chance to strike while the iron was hot, and reviews seemed to reflect fears I had about it initially. Fears that were realised when I finally did get around to it many years after, and now years after that, proved beyond a doubt. It’s an aggravating mess of a game that fails to deliver on its promise, despite being visually arresting.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

Just finished lair of the clockwork God. Can't recommend enough. Mash up of point and click adventure with indie darling platformer.
It's so inventive all the way through and the silly jokes are inspired and hilarious.
What's amazing is how much of the humour is not dialogue but jokes told as mechanics. Wonderful
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Right, so that's Bayonetta - Non-Stop ∞ Climax finished, then.

Oh, Bayonetta... I truly, genuinely want to love this game so much, but there's just... something about it that holds me back. I'm not 100% sure what that is. I suppose it's the abundance of exhausting QTEs and cheap hits. Even now, there are several enemy types I don't feel completely confident in fighting without getting blindsided over and over again. So many annoying sections, too.

But then again... the combat is really really good when the stars align!!

I don't like having mixed feelings about a game like this. Makes me all grumpy.

I hope the third one will adopt the many improvements of the second one, minus the broken WT stuff of course. We could end up with something truly special if it manages to merge the pros of each game into one package.

Still, I've never been so close to clicking with it so I'm going to try platting Normal and see what happens.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I decided to load up DOOM 2016 for another go. I don't replay games often these days, but I knew when I first beat the game that I would be back for more. Played it on Ultra-Violence mode this time.
I want to go into Nightmare mode but I'm going to give myself some room to not get burnt out on it. But, tearing demons apart has been cathartic this past few days.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished Oreo and the Will of the Wispas.

A broken mess of a game which beneath it all, is pretty decent. I can't recommend it right now as all the technical issues I had really pulled me out of the world as a living breathing environment.

Not the Metroidvania I hope for but there's definitely a decent game in there, somewhere
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

1 - Batman; Arkham Origins
2 - Return To Arkham: Batman Arkham Asylum - PS4 Pro
3 - Sayonara Wild Hearts - PS4 Pro
4- Death Stranding - PS4 Pro
5 - Return To Arkham: Arkham City - PS4 Pro
6 - Arkham VR - PSVR
7- LA Noire VR - PSVR
9 - Untitled Goose Game - PS4 Pro

HONK!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I actually completed a game after a long time!

17 - 3 Yakuza 2 (PS2)

Massive spoilers in video, obviously.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

08/02 - Dishonored
28/02 - EQQO
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike

A very cute little game. A nice, calming, easy going experience with a lot of quirky yet unpretentious personality. It's got just enough to the mechanics to make exploring about engaging, and all the little characters you come across and talk to are very charming too. It's a nice looking game that captures that sense of a long summer afternoon out in the countryside well, and is probably the best example of an intentionally low resolution/pixelated 3D game I've seen. The music is very nice as well, with a mix of stuff reminiscent of the more low-key moments from a Ghibli movie, combined with a bit of atmospheric chiptunes as well. The way it dynamically changes depending on what part of the world you are in is a nice touch.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Max X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)

Man, if this doesn't sum up what an 'average game' is, I don't know what does. There are OK parts, there are boring parts, but my gosh it's all so pointless. It looks fairly pretty, sound is good, but it's all just a bit dull. The story is total wank, climbing a bit clunky but ok, combat....is.....average.

The stealth sections are laughable. You're stranded with no weapons. You take out enemies in stealth who are all carrying guns, yet Lara just quips 'I need to find my weapons' instead of just picking up a fucking gun from one of the many corpses littering the jungle. It makes no logical sense and is totally immersion breaking!

Yaaaaaawn.

Jeez, just realised as well, I've not finished a single game I've loved so far this year on PS4 other than Uncharted which I'd played before.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I had a similar reaction to RotTR. Thoroughly meh in every respect when it could (should?) have been so much more.