The News (formally the Covid thread)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
DomsBeard

Re: Let's have a thread about the virus, then. We might as well.

Post by DomsBeard »

They've postponed ticket sales for the Final Fantasy VII gig at the Royal Albert Hall on the 30th of October.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

We have a movement restriction in Malaysia, announced last night and beginning tomorrow (Wednesday). Nobody in or out and no mass gatherings. Sudden spike in the number of cases being reported (went from about 200 up to 550+ over the past 72hrs) contributes to the feeling of this having happened very fast, when there had been very little about it over the past two months.

Final day in the office before we shut down and are WFH until April. The health ministry has selected a range of private providers to administer tests including home screening, price seems to be around RM700 or a little over a hundred quid.

Needless to say I am extremely worried those back home in the UK. Everyone stay safe, stay healthy and let's meet here to chat and keep the mood up!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

My wife got the message last night to not go back into the office other than to collect what she needs to work from home so after this morning her office will be a ghost town.

My office has told everyone who already works from home sometimes to not come back into the office and have decided to wedge all doors open in the building so no one has to touch any door handles and we have to wash our hands as soon as we enter the building and just before we leave. And yet they have not yet cancelled our work social on Thursday which consists of bowling and dinner at an all you can eat buffet.

Mental.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Had a coworker who was meant to fly to Malaysia for her brother’s wedding. She was pretty heartbroken when her flights got cancelled. Seems overnight living away from family has become far more complicated and stressful.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My partner is getting really upset that she's not yet being allowed to work from home. She works for the local council in Walsall, and she was literally in tears last night when I told her Uni was shutting down saying it's not fair and why are they making her go in. She's really worrying and can't stop Googling stuff which just makes it worse.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 17th, 2020, 8:09 am Hang in there, folks: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-n ... a-21693923
That's good to see. China took pretty drastic action fairly quickly which must have helped. Hoping our response has been enough.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hey guys, I don't typically like discussing "serious stuff" here but I did want to check in and say I hope everyone here is OK and will find a way through this rapidly escalating mess. I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home and in an industry likely to be fine, many friends of mine running local businesses, cafes, catering etc are not so lucky. Look out for each other and be good citizens, it's likely to get worse before it gets better sadly.

All the best.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

FemalePheromones

FemalePheromones wrote: March 17th, 2020, 7:29 am My wife got the message last night to not go back into the office other than to collect what she needs to work from home so after this morning her office will be a ghost town.

My office has told everyone who already works from home sometimes to not come back into the office and have decided to wedge all doors open in the building so no one has to touch any door handles and we have to wash our hands as soon as we enter the building and just before we leave. And yet they have not yet cancelled our work social on Thursday which consists of bowling and dinner at an all you can eat buffet.

Mental.
So today we have had to move around the office as our desks are in banks of 4 and we can no longer sit next to or opposite someone else so we are now 2 people to every 4 desks sitting diagonally from each other.

The good news is I've moved to a quieter end of the office.

I should add that bowling still hasn't been cancelled.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think I'd be avoiding bowling, personally. Think about how many fingers have been in those bowling ball holes... Its pretty gross at the best of times if you think about it I suppose. Not that it's ever bothered me before, but I'm even paranoid about using cash machines at the moment.
FemalePheromones

Alex79uk wrote: March 17th, 2020, 12:12 pm I think I'd be avoiding bowling, personally. Think about how many fingers have been in those bowling ball holes... Its pretty gross at the best of times if you think about it I suppose. Not that it's ever bothered me before, but I'm even paranoid about using cash machines at the moment.
Exactly. Followed by an all you can eat buffet where the food has been out in front of who knows how many people.

I definitely won'tbe going and I doubt anyone is planning it it just seems odd they haven't officially cancelled it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh god, a buffet haha! No thanks! Followed by pick n' mix for dessert. :lol:
FemalePheromones

And then a group hug before we say goodbye.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Don’t skimp: Group sex.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I mean if the apocalypse is coming anyway...
FemalePheromones

ratsoalbion wrote: March 17th, 2020, 1:30 pm Don’t skimp: Group sex.
Alright Leon, we don't all live in Brighton!
FemalePheromones

Alex79uk wrote: March 17th, 2020, 1:40 pm I mean if the apocalypse is coming anyway...
We should be coming too.

I'll see myself out.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Cex have just bumped the PSVR price up £30, must be an increase in demand.

My wife has a member of staff pregnant and she has been told to avoid public contact at work. Not sure how that works in retail sales when 90% of the time you are in close proximity with the public.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thanks for the links, Leon. My mates in Wuhan have said that life is starting up again and things are gradually getting back to normal. They may need to tighten up again sporadically and that's the expectation, but good hygiene practices and sensible social distancing will delay that and the next spikes will be considerably smaller and more manageable.

That's also our government's plan if you read the Imperial College modelling data report in full. The phrase is 'adaptive suppression'.