The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
TheEmailer

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by TheEmailer »

Hey peeps. I want some Sound of Play advice. I bounced off the podcast years ago as I'm really not into chip tunes (before my time/not my style).
Which issue might be a good starting point for me to jump back into? Happy with either a classical bent or something modern, just not the indie bleepy bloop that's not for me.
Tbone254

Post by Tbone254 »

Of all the music in Final Fantasy 7, this is the one that really hits me in the nostalgia feels. It’s heard several times throughout the game. It sets up the heavy atmosphere of some of the early Midgar areas and is used in some of the more subtle and reflective scenes later on. Cloud’s flashback of his visit to Nibelheim with Sephiroth and the bonfire scene in Comso Canyon where the group questions their mission are two that come to mind. There is something about this piece that checks all the emotional boxes for me. It’s melancholic and beautiful. There are plenty of other pieces that sound distinctly like Final Fantasy 7 and when I hear those other pieces, I automatically think of the game. But, for me at least, “Anxious Heart” is the only piece that really feels like Final Fantasy 7.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Fantastic submission, and I totally understand what you mean. I love the grainy texture of the 'strings', as well. Incredibly evocative.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Zero Stage 2 from mega man x5, Composer: Takuya Miyawaki
Mega Man was a franchise of many firsts for me, including the realization that gaming music could be pretty dang good. It may even have influenced my taste in music in general, which includes an affinity for metal, progressive rock, and a whooooole lotta synth. And in that regard this song is an absolute banger, that has stuck in my mind for literal decades. It only plays during the final and extremely brief stage of the game, but still manages to set the stage for an epic final robot showdown in a psychedelic cyberspace crater. Either that or a killer dance party.

Stalkedbycats

Post by Stalkedbycats »

I haven't played the game yet but as far as soundtrack that sound like someone doing heart surgery on a steam engine while in a church go, it's up there.

ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Stalkedbycats wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:35 pm I haven't played the game yet but as far as soundtrack that sound like someone doing heart surgery on a steam engine while in a church go, it's up there.

I also hven't played the game but do like this style of music ...

And that is a great description :P
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’d like to request this one from Yakuza Zero.

A great little tune that plays at the end of some of the more bonkers and morally dubious sub stories. Sums up the game really well.

Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

The Last Number Zero from Rockman Dystopia, arranged by: Yoshimi Kudo
My first game in the Mega Man X series was X3. It is the first game where you get to play as friendly rival and overall cool dude Zero, but the game also ends with a promise from the narrator that In order to achieve true peace, X must eventually destroy Zero. To my preteen self this seemed very profound, and by the time this showdown happened in Mega Man X5 – which pegged itself as the conclusion to the sub-series- I was incredibly invested. I would soon discover that Zero had in fact already gone through a death, a resurrection and a fight with X in earlier games, and would go on to be resurrected twice over in later games. But for a brief moment, X versus Zero felt like something special and conclusive to me.

Luckily, the music accompanying the battle is still great, and forms the centerpiece of this arranged track which incorporates Zero-related themes from across the franchise. Though I eventually accepted the series narrative as hokey nonsense, this track still takes me back to my original feelings of emotional investment, the way only good music can.

(also, thanks to the Cane And Rinse facebook account for pointing me in the direction of this arranged album in the first place, its quite excellent)

Okay, I'll cool it with the Mega Man requests...for now :-P
Stalkedbycats

Post by Stalkedbycats »

Not sure if playing this on the pod will get you C and D'd but the song that plays over the final (I assume but since it's a post MGS4 Kojima game, you can never be really sure) credits of Death Stranding a) is very catchy and b) its melancholy, yet faintly hopeful tone suits the tone of the game really well (except for the parts where I get my future motorcycle stuck between a pair of rocks)
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Stars, composed by Matt Meyer, from Ephemerid: A Musical Adventure. Near the onset of the journey of a mayfly, whose lifespan is roughly 24 hours, you gaze into the depths of space as countless shooting stars whiz by. Rather than making the player feel small or insignificant, it instead suggests a sense of inspiration, a desire to make the most of the short time you've been given on this planet. In other words, it is a song whose message is meant for both the player and their avatar.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I snap this around my mouth at least once every day.

Incredible soundtrack.

Gingertastic01

Post by Gingertastic01 »

Hello,

I am currently stabbing, beating and shooting my way through Hotline Miami 2 for the podcast. I would like to request a track called ‘Around’ by Modulogeek, the track plays during some of the story sequences in-between levels and is a somewhat somber and melancholy piece. With the majority of the soundtrack being ‘banging’ beats, this particular tune sticks out in amongst the gritty disgusting world of Hotline Miami.

Enjoy

Peditis

Post by Peditis »

The Ace Attorney series is one of my favorite gaming franchises, and the soundtracks are always fantastic. In each game, every part of the gameplay has its own version of a 'theme', as in pieces of music that convey a certain mood or feeling. For example, the 'Investigation' themes are somewhat lighthearted and fun, the 'Cross-examination' themes are rather inquisitive and slow, and the 'Objection' themes are more fast paced and bombastic.
But my favorite ones are the 'Confess The Truth' themes. These ones play when you uncover a witness' dark secrets or when you unravel an important mystery, and they always feel dark and ominous, conveying that feeling that the shocking truth you just discovered might turn the whole case upside down.
This version is from Dai Gyakuten Saiban, the 2015 prequel to the whole series that is still unreleased outside of Japan (possibly due to the inclusion of Sherlock Holmes as one of the characters).
Luckily an english fan-translation is available, so it can be played through to completion, even if it is through dubious means.

Tbone254

Post by Tbone254 »

I found out about Wandersong earlier this year when I saw that it was available on Xbox GamePass, and I can’t understand why it took me so long to hear about it. It’s a wonderful gem of a game that I had a blast playing through. The piece I have selected, called “Sailing With the Coffee Pirates”, is easily my favorite piece from the game. It’s such a fun piece to listen to. It’s as if the composers were able to take pure joy and turn it into a song. I love how this song is used in the game. It's used during a part of the game that requires the Bard to sail to many small islands with his new pirate buddies. While the ship is at rest, the instrumental part of plays, but as the ship is moved around the Bard and Coffee Pirates, which make up the vocal portion of the track, begin singing. It’s pure magic and I couldn’t stop smiling through the whole scene. The camaraderie and joy of the Bard and his pirate compatriots was infectious. I spent more time than I would like to admit sailing around in circles so I could listen to the singing pirates, grinning from ear to ear the entire time

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not sure if the game has been featured before, but Yoku's Island Express has some lovely music.

It's well chill.
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

In these challenging and uncertain times, people need more Mario in their lives.

This is the ending them from Super Mario Bros 2, one of my favourite NES tracks. Finishing the game on real hardware is a challenge, it rewards with you with a triumphant first half of the track and then transitions to a more contemplative second half. I love it!

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think I've ever heard that before, the first part sounds really Zelda-ish!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don’t know the game, and therefore I definitely don’t know the dlc this is from...

But my word, this piece is hella strong. (Spot thé Daddy Mulk nod in there as well)

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Tricky to search for whether this has been on the show as X and Com as words cause the forum search function to explode.

If it hasn’t been played then this is one excellent piece of music!