Save The National Videogame Museum

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Save The National Videogame Museum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I know this is a bad time to be asking people for money, but in case anyone has even a spare few quid - the National Videogame Museum needs our help!

It's basically under threat of closure thanks to the current situation, and they've set up a Just Giving page to try and save it.

Here's the JG page - https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/savetheNVMuk

And here's an article about it on Eurogamer - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... -your-help

Anything you can give to save this fantastic institution would be amazing, and please share this link on your social channels even you can't spare any money yourself right now!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Save The National Videogame Museum

Post by ratsoalbion »

We’re going to make a contribution from the CaR kitty.
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: March 26th, 2020, 12:33 pm We’re going to make a contribution from the CaR kitty.
That's great to hear Leon!

I really hope they hit their target - would be such a shame to see it go under like this, especially with it not having been in the city long as it's really still growing and bedding into the community.

Fingers crossed!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Done. It’s not much but hopefully it’ll help if everyone chips in.

Leon genuinely piqued my interest so I’d like to go one day. Just hoping it lasts the bleak present to have a bright future.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Agreed.

I also really really hope that Arcade Club makes it, as well as Arcains in Liverpool. They've become staples of mine over the last however long they've been around and they seem to be a real labour of love. Heartbreaking to imagine them losing everything they've put in.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Never heard about this place before, it looks great. It would be very sad if it had to close.

I would like to donate my own large collection to a museum like this one day.

Could they not auction off items or ask game designers and big names to sign products and give support or something. Signed copies of games would quickly raise big money. They could also call out for game donations to help at this time. I for one would be happy to provide support by sending a package of unwanted games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fingers crossed they manage to survive this nightmare.

This isn't supposed to be a smart-ass question, but why is there a danger of them closing down? Don't they qualify for any of the Government assistance whilst being forced to close? Or would they still be expected to pay their rent and bills etc whilst not getting an income and that's the issue? Genuinely interested, please don't mistake my asking for a 'well what do they need help for' attitude, I know it sounds like that but it's really, really not.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Alex79uk wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:59 am Fingers crossed they manage to survive this nightmare.

This isn't supposed to be a smart-ass question, but why is there a danger of them closing down? Don't they qualify for any of the Government assistance whilst being forced to close? Or would they still be expected to pay their rent and bills etc whilst not getting an income and that's the issue? Genuinely interested, please don't mistake my asking for a 'well what do they need help for' attitude, I know it sounds like that but it's really, really not.
Very fair question! I think they're doing all they can to pull on government funding where possible, but that doesn't cover everything and also takes quite a while to come through is my understanding. The NVM is a registered charity, so it's run very leanly, and doesn't have a lot of money in its coffers for a rainy day.

The Just Giving campaign doesn't seem to be flying at the moment (£16.6k at the moment), so hopefully they aree successful in getting government otherwise it's not looking good :cry:
Sinclair Gregstrum

Positive news from the NVM - they are reopening this Saturday 22nd August!

It's pre-booking only and in limited time slots with mask-wearing mandatory, but great news considering things weren't looking good a few months back.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... -uncertain

Unfortunately I can't make it down to show my support as I'm still pretty much on full lockdown due to my disabled son being vulnerable to the blasted virus, but if anyone is in the area and feels comfortable enough to do so, get yourself down there!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great news indeed.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Good to hear, glad they managed to pull through.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm going to go with my two kids soon it's only 1 hour from me.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:30 am I know this is a bad time to be asking people for money, but in case anyone has even a spare few quid - the National Videogame Museum needs our help!

It's basically under threat of closure thanks to the current situation, and they've set up a Just Giving page to try and save it.

Here's the JG page - https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/savetheNVMuk

And here's an article about it on Eurogamer - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... -your-help

Anything you can give to save this fantastic institution would be amazing, and please share this link on your social channels even you can't spare any money yourself right now!
Thanks to Eurogamer for publishing the article, otherwise I probably wouldn't have heard about it! It is crazy and humbling what the total for the Just Giving campaign is up to. Places like this hold so much history and art that it is a travesty when they do shut down.

Edit: just donated.
Conor NVM

Post by Conor NVM »

Hi all! This is Conor from the NVM. Sorry, I'm a lapsed forum user!

Thank you all SO MUCH for the support. It was a pretty bleak time back in March, but we're super excited to reopen now.
Alex79uk wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:59 am This isn't supposed to be a smart-ass question, but why is there a danger of them closing down? Don't they qualify for any of the Government assistance whilst being forced to close? Or would they still be expected to pay their rent and bills etc whilst not getting an income and that's the issue? Genuinely interested, please don't mistake my asking for a 'well what do they need help for' attitude, I know it sounds like that but it's really, really not.

This is a very good point! To give a tl;dr - we were actually too new to qualify for the governmental support. We only opened in Nov 2018, and as such didn't have time to get full museum accreditation (it normally takes about 3 years). This meant that we were totally shut out.

Fortunately, the second batch of emergency funding that you might have heard about - the £1.6billion fund - we are eligible for. That is all TBC of course!

For now though, the money we raised allowed us to bridge the gap, and gave us some real breathing room.

HaloFandango wrote: August 21st, 2020, 7:45 am Thanks to Eurogamer for publishing the article, otherwise I probably wouldn't have heard about it! It is crazy and humbling what the total for the Just Giving campaign is up to. Places like this hold so much history and art that it is a travesty when they do shut down.

YOU ARE A TREASURE. Thank you so much <3
Sinclair Gregstrum

Conor NVM wrote: August 21st, 2020, 2:01 pm Hi all! This is Conor from the NVM. Sorry, I'm a lapsed forum user!

Thank you all SO MUCH for the support. It was a pretty bleak time back in March, but we're super excited to reopen now.
Thanks for coming on to the forum with the update Conor!

Delighted that the NVM is managing to weather the storm, and as soon as I'm able to get down there, I will! Sheffield is my adoptive home city and while the NVM is obviously a brilliant institution for the medium in the UK as whole, it's especially cool to have it on my doorstep :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Heartening news.

Brighton are scheduled away at Sheffield United on 24th April 2021. Not sure how likely it is, but just maybe I’ll be able to get back to the NVM for a second visit then too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's brilliant, I'm really glad you've managed to weather the storm. Unfortunately the NVM is a bit far for a spur of the moment day trip for me, but I absolutely hope to be able to get there some time.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Conor NVM wrote: August 21st, 2020, 2:01 pm Hi all! This is Conor from the NVM. Sorry, I'm a lapsed forum user!

Alex79uk wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:59 am This isn't supposed to be a smart-ass question, but why is there a danger of them closing down? Don't they qualify for any of the Government assistance whilst being forced to close? Or would they still be expected to pay their rent and bills etc whilst not getting an income and that's the issue? Genuinely interested, please don't mistake my asking for a 'well what do they need help for' attitude, I know it sounds like that but it's really, really not.

This is a very good point! To give a tl;dr - we were actually too new to qualify for the governmental support. We only opened in Nov 2018, and as such didn't have time to get full museum accreditation (it normally takes about 3 years). This meant that we were totally shut out.

Fortunately, the second batch of emergency funding that you might have heard about - the £1.6billion fund - we are eligible for. That is all TBC of course!

For now though, the money we raised allowed us to bridge the gap, and gave us some real breathing room.

HaloFandango wrote: August 21st, 2020, 7:45 am Thanks to Eurogamer for publishing the article, otherwise I probably wouldn't have heard about it! It is crazy and humbling what the total for the Just Giving campaign is up to. Places like this hold so much history and art that it is a travesty when they do shut down.

YOU ARE A TREASURE. Thank you so much <3
No problem and it is people like you who are the real treasure by helping to teach and preserve an amazing art medium.