What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by DomsBeard »

From the looks of an email I've just got my copy of Resi 3 is being sent tomorrow for Wednesday
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Fallout 76 Wastelanders expansion [PC, PS4, XBO] – April 14
Hellpoint [PC] – April 16
Overcooked! 2: The Gourmet Edition [PC] – April 16
Save Your Nuts [PC, XBO, Switch] – April 16
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Whew. The drought begins. Should give us all time to catch up.
James

Post by James »

Thankfully Animal Crossing is keeping me busy. After playing REmake recently, I'm aboard the train to retrying RE4 via RE2ake and REmak3. Also have FFVII remake arriving this week at some point, so I'll be playing my first Final Fantasy.
Still lots to play, but definitely sad to see the release calendar dry up.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

duskvstweak wrote: April 13th, 2020, 4:49 pm Whew. The drought begins. Should give us all time to catch up.
You say that, but I'm actually more hyped for Trials of Mana on Apr. 24 than I was for FF7R. :P FF7R wasn't for me, but I also feel that the original was greatly improved with merely a few mods. Seiken Densetsu 3, on the other hand, is a very good game somewhat held back by hardware limitations, especially in terms of the ambitious visuals they were trying (and only sometimes succeeding) to convey with SNES tech. So I'm eager in anticipation for that! And Xenoblade Definite Edition on May 29!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

James wrote: April 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm Thankfully Animal Crossing is keeping me busy. After playing REmake recently, I'm aboard the train to retrying RE4 via RE2ake and REmak3. Also have FFVII remake arriving this week at some point, so I'll be playing my first Final Fantasy.
Still lots to play, but definitely sad to see the release calendar dry up.
Your FIRST Final Fantasy? Grats. If you like FF7R, I've heard FF12 and FF15 offer similar gameplay styles that you may also get on with. Just bear in mind that the Remake is not necessarily reflective of the original, it's very different in tone, pacing, gameplay, and, well, visuals, obviously.
James

Post by James »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm Your FIRST Final Fantasy? Grats. If you like FF7R, I've heard FF12 and FF15 offer similar gameplay styles that you may also get on with. Just bear in mind that the Remake is not necessarily reflective of the original, it's very different in tone, pacing, gameplay, and, well, visuals, obviously.
Yeah, I tried the demo and really liked it. In all honesty, I've never been terribly interested by what I've seen/heard of Final Fantasy games previously. I know that's a very weird thing to say, given their vast influence on a medium I love, but this is the first time I've been interested in trying one.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Tidal Shock [PC] – April 20
PUBG Season 7 [PC] – April 21
The Shattering [PC] – April 21
SoundSelf: A Technodelic [PC, PC VR] – April 22
Deliver Us The Moon [PS4, XBO] – April 24
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 Road To Boruto [Switch] – April 24
Nintendo Switch Lite Coral (EU) – April 24
Predator: Hunting Grounds [PS4] – April 24
Trials of Mana [PC, PS4, Switch] – April 24
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I am SUPER excited for Trials of Mana, words can't describe. My birthday's on the 26th, so I'm hoping I can get the game before then.

That Predator game seems interesting too, although not something I'd buy day one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm not really up to date on this, maybe somebody can fill me in.

The Secret of Mana remake that came out a few years ago wasn't all that great, right?

But the Collection of Mana that came out a bit later for Switch was a compilation of the three original games (including Secret & Trials), which fans were relatively satisfied with, as far as I remember.

And now a Trials of Mana remake in the style of the Secret remake is about to come out? Any reason why people are more excited about this one given the Secret remake's reception?

Forgive me, I know nothing.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 18th, 2020, 4:58 pm I'm not really up to date on this, maybe somebody can fill me in.

The Secret of Mana remake that came out a few years ago wasn't all that great, right?

But the Collection of Mana that came out a bit later for Switch was a compilation of the three original games (including Secret & Trials), which fans were relatively satisfied with, as far as I remember.

And now a Trials of Mana remake in the style of the Secret remake is about to come out? Any reason why people are more excited about this one given the Secret remake's reception?

Forgive me, I know nothing.
1. Secret of Mana remake was garbage. It felt like a really disrespectful homage to the original - which wasn't even that good of a game to begin with - while simultaneously failing to fix problems from the original that stemmed from technical limitations, not intentional game design.

2. Collection of Mana is just straight ports of the first three Seiken Densetsu games, although this is the first official localization of 3. I haven't heard any complaints, and the original Seiken 3 still holds up.

3. Trials of Mana remake is NOT in the same style as the Secret of Mana remake, which is why people are excited for it. It's pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of the story, and the general structure of the job classes and gameplay loop is there, but it's a brand new action RPG. It's not a cheap imitation of the original like the SoM remake was, it's a true *remake*, built from the ground up for modern consoles. There's a demo for it, you should play it. Just be forewarned, the English voice acting is pretty terrible, and the Switch version seems to have a lot of technical issues. So I'm getting the PS4 version.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 18th, 2020, 9:04 pm 3. Trials of Mana remake is NOT in the same style as the Secret of Mana remake, which is why people are excited for it. It's pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of the story, and the general structure of the job classes and gameplay loop is there, but it's a brand new action RPG. It's not a cheap imitation of the original like the SoM remake was, it's a true *remake*, built from the ground up for modern consoles. There's a demo for it, you should play it. Just be forewarned, the English voice acting is pretty terrible, and the Switch version seems to have a lot of technical issues. So I'm getting the PS4 version.
Cool, thanks for the clarification!

It's not really high on my priority list considering my complete non-history with the series, but I'll keep it in mind. My issue is, as much as I like a good JRPG, they usually take so much time to play through that I feel silly contemplating buying another one when I already have so many already in my backlog. And I wanted to thin that herd a bit in the coming months anyway (including Ys 8, you'll be happy to know).

I hope fans are happy with the final product, however!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Assuming Trials of Mana isn't padded out to hell and back like FF7R was - and nothing in the demo or press coverage indicates it will be - it's actually a pretty short play for the genre. The original is maybe around 20 hours long, and it doesn't have much idle time.
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

So the Double Dragon & Kunio Kun Retro Brawler Bundle came out in February for the PS4 and the Switch. There was an XBox One version apparently released in Japan, but it didn't make it over here, for whatever reason. I own a X1 but my PS4 is a shared PS4, so I was hesitant to buy the bundle- plus, I held out hope that it would eventually somehow get on the XBox One.

Well, SOMETHING got on the XBox One this week: the Double Dragon trilogy, River City Ransom, Renegade, and Crash 'N' The Boys Street Challenge- their English language versions only as individual games for $4.99, despite having the Double Dragon and Kunio Kun Retro Brawler Bundle branding on the icons. Only some of theme have the extras from the bundle on the other systems. All I have to say is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqpnRyfz_aY
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yakuza Kiwami has appeared on the XBO today, and is on gamepass for both XBO and pc.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack [PS4] – April 28
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot: A New Power Awakens - Part 1 DLC [PC, PS4, XBO] – April 28
Gears Tactics [PC] – April 28
The Inner Friend [PS4, XBO] – April 28
Moving Out [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – April 28
PUBG Season 7 [PS4, XBO] – April 28
Remnant: From the Ashes: Swamps of Corsus DLC [PC] – April 28
Sakura Wars [PS4] – April 28
Telling Lies [PS4, XBO, Switch] – April 28
WarriOrb [PC] – April 28
Dread Nautical [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – April 29
G-LOC Air Battle [Switch] – April 30
Streets of Rage 4 [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – April 30
Arcade Spirits [PS4, XBO, Switch] – May 1
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 18th, 2020, 9:21 pm And I wanted to thin that herd a bit in the coming months anyway (including Ys 8, you'll be happy to know).
Have you played a Ys game before? I think a lot of people are surprised to find that they're not really traditional JRPGs, I was when I played my first one. They're much more like action hack n' slash games with some RPG elements to them. No turned based stuff or anything like that, more a lot of button bashing! The closest I can think, gameplay-wise, is something like Bastion, but with a grander story and a quest log. They're really interesting, Ys: The Oath In Felghana is still one of my favorite PSP games.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: April 29th, 2020, 10:07 am Have you played a Ys game before?
As a matter of fact, I played a bit of Ys Origin a few years ago and we had a lovely conversation about it afterwards. And I have also taken your numerous Oath In Felghana recommendations over the years under advisement! :P

Bought it on GoG, just waiting for a rainy day and to have enough courage to confront the almighty driver gods.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol: My memory...
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I read the phrase "Swamps of Corsus" as "Swamps, Of Course!" I feel like that would be a fun name for a bit of DLC, though perhaps not for the game it's attached to.