Gaming Telly Discussion (and Diminishing Returns)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Gaming Telly Discussion (and Diminishing Returns)

Post by Stanshall »

Moved my edit addendum for comprehensibility:

Also, I totally understand KSub's point about the disposable mindset and status symbols. I don't think that's really relevant to this forum, but nor do I think it was a comment on anyone here. That said, I would happily admit that I have a little bit of the 'shiny syndrome'. I typically want to have the best experience that I can afford with technology and will budget for new consoles, audio gear and the odd game preorder and stuff like that. On the other hand, I drive a 20yo car, wear clothes until my wife has to throw them out and I live pretty modestly. I also regularly work long days and weeks, and I'm quite often away overnight, so I really like to reward myself with my downtime. I guess it's about what you want to prioritise, but I'm also well aware that I'm in a very fortunate position to be able to prioritise this kind of thing, and ultimately I still believe the real pleasure comes from the games/music/films rather than the tech.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nicholas ‘Shiny Syndrome’ Suters.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, it really wasn't targeted at anybody here in particular. Just a general comment about some deeply-entrenched societal trends that I continue to observe. Hugs all around.

Stanshall wrote: April 13th, 2020, 2:12 pm I don't think that's really relevant to this forum
Oh, come on. I already did my RE4 speech earlier, I have to find something else to grumble about! Are we just supposed to exchange the same platitudes about gaming news for all eternity, like GameFAQs without the mindless antagonism? Real stuff not welcome? :lol:

Stanshall wrote: April 13th, 2020, 2:12 pm the real pleasure comes from the games/music/films rather than the tech.
Yay! Agreement & Harmony.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Quick question Stan if you don't mind, since I couldn't find any official data on this: How many HDMI ports does your new TV have?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sorry I didn't reply to your previous post, didn't mean to leave you hanging! All taken in the spirit intended and I'm always very happy for the Real Talk :)

Four HDMI ports on this one. I have the Wii and 360 going into an HDMI splitter so I can extract audio and send it to headphones, so that 2-in-1 helps to squeeze all my consoles in.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

My ancient TV has a grand total of three HDMI ports, two of which I've connected to a pair of 1-to-3 HDMI switchers so I could squeeze in all of mine, so I know the struggle! It really is pure decadence to have so many systems attached to it, but it feels good. It's almost transgressive. :P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Only three on mine as well, so all my consoles are going through switchers where they can (though the 360 is going via an RGB component cable instead)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, my relatively modern Samsung 4KUHD panel only has three HDMI's also.

I use a 4K Onkyo receiver that has seven on the back, however, what's really handy is that it has a AUX HDMI socket on the front of the receiver, which makes testing things much much simpler and easier.

In fact that whole piece of kit is an incredible piece of tech, it does so much and is very underused in terms of feature.

One of the best investments I've ever made.

https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/tx ... 48905.html
Suits

Post by Suits »

B9's can now be had for under £1000 it seems.

Digital Foundry Deals are reporting that you can get a 55 inch LG OLED B9 for £924 on eBay with offer code PICK20OFF, it even comes with a five year warranty.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 1st, 2018, 1:40 pm This thread is making me awfully self-conscious about my inferior decade-old 31" 1080p TV! :lol:
Fuck that! I'm still content with my 2006 1080 Hitachi plasma!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

JaySevenZero wrote: June 5th, 2020, 2:21 pm I'm still content with my 2006 1080 Hitachi plasma!
Oh, really? I thought for sure you had upgraded to a nice 4K screen by now. Maybe it was Leon in one of last year's monthly podcasts? :?:

Anyway, my 2008 Toshiba still doesn't have a single wrinkle (or dead pixel, as far a I can tell). Long may it continue!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Suits wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 2:38 pm B9's can now be had for under £1000 it seems.

Digital Foundry Deals are reporting that you can get a 55 inch LG OLED B9 for £924 on eBay with offer code PICK20OFF, it even comes with a five year warranty.
I really think that's a hell of a deal.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: June 5th, 2020, 3:37 pm
Suits wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 2:38 pm B9's can now be had for under £1000 it seems.

I really think that's a hell of a deal.
Yeah it’s incredible considering the performance of it.
bensbb

Post by bensbb »

Be aware there are some small differences between the B9 and C9 on this generation (in the past there wasn't, I have a B7 and it was identical to the C7 other than cosmetic differences.

Peak brightness on C9 is higher and has a newer CPU. For most people there won't be any real noticeable differences in normal use, but it's worth mentioning.

Also, check that OLED does indeed fit into your room/lifestyle. I absolutely adore my B7 but with the sunlight coming in the window next to it, dark scenes are quite difficult to watch, due to the combination of reflective screen surface and lower brightness, especially on SDR content. I close the curtain when i'm using it anyway but I know for a lot of people who are sharing a space with others, that might not be possible. A high-end LED LCD might be better in those circumstances.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Good points, Ben.

My C9 is definitely a little bit dimmer than the NU8000 I had previously in this room. On the other hand, I have blackout blinds in my gaming space and the difference is frankly astonishing in peak conditions, and therefore incomparably worth the upgrade. If you're in a bright room, it's well worth a moment's pause.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I have been offered a LG B8 55 inch TV for £700 by a mate of mine who bought it last year for £1,100. Is this a great deal? Does anyone know the quality of this model?
bensbb

Post by bensbb »

Angry_Kurt wrote: June 9th, 2020, 9:35 am I have been offered a LG B8 55 inch TV for £700 by a mate of mine who bought it last year for £1,100. Is this a great deal? Does anyone know the quality of this model?
It's a very good TV, there isn't really a huge amount of difference between the B8 and B9. I think thats a fair price but not exceptional, about the same as they've gone for on ebay looking at "sold" auctions.

Performance wise I don't think that you'd notice anything between B8 and B9 but if you could get teh deal mentioned in a previous post (£924) then i might be tempted to have a full warranty.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I can only second that. Great advice.
Suits

Post by Suits »

This thread is rad.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Thanks for the advice, I'm not too desperate for a TV but thought it would be worth going for if it was an exceptional deal which it doesn't seem like it is from what you say about ebay sold prices.