The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s all about Mr Driller: Drill Land for me!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Ring fit updates are good as is Arms free for a week. Apart from that not a lot for me
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Really good direct! Borderlands, Bioshock, Burnout Paradise! And that's just the B's! Definitely going to download the Arms trial too, the kids'll love that.

That F2P battle royale mini looked fun, too.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Good Job looked fun.

Great to see some Ring Fit updates too 👍🏽.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I'm a little surprised Good Job! was given the nod from Nintendo, considering developer Paladin Studios hasn't had much in the way of big titles. The closest I could find was a runner based on the Katamari series. I'm still waiting for public consensus before I give it an honest shot, but it does look very charming.

Now to wait for a few months for Mr. Driller: Drill Land to be released.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

JadePhoenix wrote: March 26th, 2020, 4:11 pm I loved Xenoblade, but wasn't planning on spending the 80+ hours to play through it again, until I saw they added an epilogue, now I'm not so sure.
Same here. Wasn't sure I could bring myself to play the entire game again when I have a substantial backlog, as much as I loved it. But turns out the Epilogue is playable from the main menu, so...

All in all, enjoyed that Direct a lot, as someone who skipped most of the last gen on PS3 / Xbox360. Heard good things about Borderlands, Bioshock, Burnout Paradise, Catherine and X-Com 2. Will wait on reviews before buying any mind, as I have a fair backlog.

Guess it's a Mini as it didn't have a big first party reveal (something insiders are saying was the original plan, but got shelved for obvious reasons).

Played the Ring Fit update today. Sadly the feminine voice addition may just be EVEN MORE irritating than the male one, but the Rhythm Game is great fun and a decent work out.

Hope more people get to enjoy ARMS too!
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

seansthomas wrote: March 28th, 2020, 2:32 pm
JadePhoenix wrote: March 26th, 2020, 4:11 pm I loved Xenoblade, but wasn't planning on spending the 80+ hours to play through it again, until I saw they added an epilogue, now I'm not so sure.
Same here. Wasn't sure I could bring myself to play the entire game again when I have a substantial backlog, as much as I loved it. But turns out the Epilogue is playable from the main menu, so...
That's nice to know, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend $60 on a game and NOT play most of it, at least not intentionally...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 26th, 2020, 4:21 pm I await your response!
Have just put my Panzer Dragoon review up over on the 'Games Completed 2020' thread Leon, but I've copied and hidden it below for ease!
Spoiler: show
Mar - Panzer Dragoon (Switch)

Panzer Dragoon is a special series for me. Whether it’s the on-rails shooters of the original, Zwei or Orta, or the legendary RPG, Saga, there is something uniquely captivating about its striking world. It holds an intoxicating, haunting, timeless fascination for many that is as strong today as it’s ever been, so when news of a remake of the first game emerged, I was delighted and terrified in equal measure.

The original game was a very early Saturn release, just missing the Japanese launch but being present for the infamous ‘surprise’ US release of the console in 1995, and arriving very shortly after in PAL regions. While a die-hard Saturn fanboy to this day, I didn’t get my console until 1996, and by that time the highly regarded sequel, Zwei, was already out, meaning I never went back to the original game at the time. Of course fast forward to present day and I’ve owned both PAL and NTSC-J Saturn copies for many years, and played through the game countless times. And it still holds up well. The visuals are early 32-bit 3D, with all the janky, wobbly polys that come with that, but the design and art direction still shines through, and the soundtrack is so good they’ve literally lifted it straight into the new remake without it seeming out of place at all.

The gameplay is very much of the Afterburner/Space Harrier arcade lineage, and if you like Rez but have never played any Panzer Dragoon, then frankly what the hell have you been up to? This is arcade, on-rails shooting, sat on a dragon, with either single shot or group lock-on firing options. That’s basically it. Enemies large and small, from beasties to battleships, come at you from all sides, and you can swing the camera around 360 degrees in four quadrants, making sure you can shoot or dodge your attackers from all angles. You have some control of the dragon within the frame of the screen, with a little bit of manoeuvring to be done to avoid enemy projectiles, but essentially you’re on a preset path moving ever forwards.

That sounds restrictive, but actually the limited control really plays into the character and tone of the game. You are not the dragon. You are the rider, trying your best to aim and shoot while wrangling the beast as best you can and not get blown up. The feeling of resistance in the controls and lack of immediacy when trying to direct your flying steed therefore makes perfect sense, and while the dragon lacks any AI to speak of, this helps make it feel like a companion and character in its own right throughout.

In terms of structure, this is a simple, short game that’s designed to be replayed, again showing it’s arcade shooter roots. It has six episodes in total plus a final boss, and while there is challenge here that will cause you to die and retry as you learn the levels and enemies placement, even then a decent player can blast through the game in a few hours at first, and as little as an hour when you get really good.

So that’s Panzer Dragoon, and all of the above is just as true for the Saturn original as it is for the Switch remake (there’s a fairly straightforward story here too, but if I get sucked down the rabbit-hole of Panzer lore we’ll be here all day!). The new game is about as literal a remake as you will find. Every enemy is in its place. Every twist and turn of the levels. Every memorable structure. It’s all there. As I mentioned before, even the original soundtrack is used in this initial release, although a re-orchestrated score from the legendary Saori Kobayashi (composer on Saga and Orta), is due soon in an upcoming patch.

The visuals then, are essentially where the the biggest change has happened, and the recreation of the Panzer world here nails it and misses the mark in equal measure, and it varies level to level, almost enemy to enemy, where it lands on that spectrum. Some stages look lovely, and exactly what you’d hope for in a Panzer remake (Episode 4’s network of dimly lit tunnels is particularly effective). Others still look nice, but rather miss the point of whole series’ aesthetic. The tone of the Panzer Dragoon series is one of a desolate, dangerous world, ravaged by wars long since past. Humans have been returned to almost a pre-tech state, while the ruins and inventions of once great civilisations punctuate the barren landscape, where dangerous creatures now roam the wastelands. This is not a ‘nature has reclaimed the earth and isn’t it all beautiful’ vibe, but more a ‘everything’s ruined, it’s a fight to survive, and oh my god there’s a six-eyed monster trying to eat me’ thing. There is no more obvious example of where it misses the mark than in the very first stage. It looks lovely in its own right with its vibrant colours and foliage, but that’s really just missing the point. Give me my eerie expanses of desolation back! It’s a decent, if not entirely successful, visual upgrade overall.

In summary, if you like the original Panzer Dragoon, it’s hard not to like this remake as they are, at their core, one and the same. It’s then down to personal preference whether, on balance, you feel the new visuals are your cup of tea or not. For new players, you might find it short and expensive (I’m happy to pay £20 for it, but others may not be) and the controls can be a little obtuse and unusual by today’s standards before you really get the hang of things. And whatever you do DO NOT try the ‘modern’ control method where they split the aiming and dragon movement between the two thumbsticks. It does not work, and again, rather misses the point of the original set-up.

Apparently Zwei is also in the works, and I sincerely hope this remake of the game that started it all is successful enough for that to see the light of day. Zwei is the better game, expanding on everything that makes Panzer Dragoon great, and the developers have done a decent enough job that with a few lessons learned, a remake of the sequel could be something really special.
[/quote]
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Brill, thanks!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Anyone know if Xenoblade Definitive rebalances the game at all? Because I know the original had some ludicrous grind walls to bash your head against if you neglected the (awful) sidequests. Last Recode massively improved .hack//GU by rebalancing that game, so I hope Xenoblade does similarly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Possible data breach reported, although not found the story elsewhere yet. 2 step verification and change of password being recommended.

https://realotakugamer.com/nintendo-swi ... y-breached
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, unlinked my PayPal this morning 👍🏽.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nothing dodgy on mine, but reminded me I needed to turn on 2fa for it. I don’t have any payment info linked there anyway, I do it each time I buy something and tell it not to remember.

Sounds like this is a credential stuff attack though, people using the same password in Fortnite that they use to log into the switch (and probably a dozen other things).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Absolutely incredible final update, Mario Maker 2 really is an amazing piece of software, you can now make a full Mario game from start to finish.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Looks like I'm getting back into SMM2 then.

This final update is massive.

I've over 100 hours into this game and this just makes it all fresh all over again.

Also, I would like to point out - Roy is included in this new update.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

"Which Roy? Fire Emblem Roy?"

"...What? No! Roy Koopa, obviously."

"Oh, my bad. I didn't know. :roll:"

"Of course you knew. Stop trolling, KSub. :x"
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 21st, 2020, 10:25 am "Of course you knew. Stop trolling, KSub. :x"
That's not trolling blud, that's turning up to a knife fight with a spoon.

Go sit down.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

:lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

:lol:

Not tempted by FE: Three Houses enough to pick up a Switch yet ??
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I bet my Roy can beat up your Roy!! :lol:

And no, I'm good for now. I really don't like what I'm hearing about the Switch's build quality so I might as well wait for a new hardware revision (or Nintendo's next console, while I'm at it). FE:TH will still be there when I get around to playing it.

Besides, I'm drowning in games already! No joke.

PS: A 10/10 MP4 trailer and splendid Special Edition custom console bundle might push me over the edge.