Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Videogame News

Post by Stanshall »

Flab, I'm in a similar boat, to be honest. Aside from the first game which I did love at release, I've barely stuck with any others until I picked up RE4, which is one of the best games I've ever played. I'd say it's well worth a punt. Glad to hear you're enjoying FF7R, as well. I'm trying and failing to pace myself and not gorge on it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m hoping Streets of Rage 4 drops today.

Dotemu were hinting at it yesterday.

That’s would be my Friday night sorted if so.
James

Post by James »

Ooooooh. Just seen the Dotemu Tweet.

I thought 23rd April was confirmed, but I guess it was just "Available Soon"?
Suits

Post by Suits »

James wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:09 am Ooooooh. Just seen the Dotemu Tweet.

I thought 23rd April was confirmed, but I guess it was just "Available Soon"?
Yes, that's exactly what I saw last night.

Someone in that thread commented that the 23rd date was leaked, but that its ready now, so they may just release it early.

Which would be nice.

You watch now, it'll just be an announcement :lol: .
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It was an announcement
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Streets of Rage 4 releasing on 30th April.

Will be on Game Pass day one.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The Switch feels like it’ll be the perfect platform for SOR4.

I’m not expecting it to struggle performance wise.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

FemalePheromones wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:33 pm Streets of Rage 4 releasing on 30th April.

Will be on Game Pass day one.
Oh I would've bought it on Switch so cool
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:54 pm ... but if you put Mario 64 out tomorrow it would be torn apart.
Alex79uk wrote: March 31st, 2020, 5:59 pm Honestly, regarding Mario 64, I don't think it would be torn apart. I guess it's impossible for me to view objectively but I've played it fairly recently and it's pretty flawless.
Well, actually, I just dug this post out to let you know how wrong I was! I've actually spent an hour or so with the original game this morning with one of my Mario obsessed boys and boy, it's not great to play any more. Sluggish, awful camera (I mean it's really poor, keeps getting in the way, turns you around, messes the controls up etc) and it's so slow! I think you're right - the game probably wouldn't fare too well today as being reviewed by someone who'd never played it before. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with it when it comes out for Switch, because if it's a straight up emulation rather than an updated version I can't see people sticking with it for too long.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Alex79uk wrote: April 26th, 2020, 11:10 am
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:54 pm ... but if you put Mario 64 out tomorrow it would be torn apart.
Alex79uk wrote: March 31st, 2020, 5:59 pm Honestly, regarding Mario 64, I don't think it would be torn apart. I guess it's impossible for me to view objectively but I've played it fairly recently and it's pretty flawless.
Well, actually, I just dug this post out to let you know how wrong I was! I've actually spent an hour or so with the original game this morning with one of my Mario obsessed boys and boy, it's not great to play any more. Sluggish, awful camera (I mean it's really poor, keeps getting in the way, turns you around, messes the controls up etc) and it's so slow! I think you're right - the game probably wouldn't fare too well today as being reviewed by someone who'd never played it before. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with it when it comes out for Switch, because if it's a straight up emulation rather than an updated version I can't see people sticking with it for too long.
Ah Alex I'm sorry! It's always a bit sad when we go back to something and it doesn't quite live up to the cherished memories!

I do think with Mario 64 for Switch they'd need to at least do something about the camera if they want it to be anything more than a 'nice to have' for nostalgic older gamers. I can't see it garnering many new, younger fans more used to the 3D games we play today otherwise. They'd probably have to include an untouched version in there as well though otherwise the rose-tinted pitchforks would be out in force!

I'd love a full remake in the Odyssey engine though - that would be glorious!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Looks like I'm rebuying Mortal Kombat 11
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's coming... Its finally coming...

Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered!

(Maybe. Hopefully. Probably?)

Woohoo!!

https://www.pcgamer.com/rumor-mass-effe ... ext-april/
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wow, I love those games so much.

Not sure how much, or if it should even be advised, to go back and play Mass Effect though - that was rough in a lot pf places back then and for me, got pulled into legend status by its characters and story - which could be enough to get people to play it mind.

But that combat and cookie cutter side missions were pretty dull.

2 is brilliant, never finished 3 (tried a few times).
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

I played the original again on PC not so long ago and thought it held up fine, still looks great graphically too. It was never stunning in the gameplay department but it's decent enough. Anyone who has even a little tolerance for older games I think would be more or less fine going back to it. The amount of retooling they'd have to do to get it anywhere near the level that the general public might consider acceptable however is so extensive it would almost have to be a full on remake. If the rumours are true, I'll be very interested to see what they've done with it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I never had an issue with the first game, I know a lot consider it a bit clunky and poor combat, even some suggest to skip it, but I played a good chunk of it again a couple of years ago and it felt fine. Even driving the Mako around. Love that trilogy so much, I really hope it does come out.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I did try repaying me1 recently... it’s pretty rough, some pretty outdated design choices in there now.

I don’t think I’m that interested in playing a remaster of these, but then I said that about ff7 and changed my mind.
James

Post by James »

For me, the Mass Effect series is like the Assassin's Creed and Uncharted series in that I really enjoyed the first game (for all its flaws) and lost some of that love when it came to the sequels.

The only defence I have for this obviously ridiculous stance is that I accepted the clunkiness and repetition as part of the imperfect whole of these games. In their sequels, I honestly felt that in sanding off the rough edges and polishing the experiences into a mirror shine, they lost some of their character.

In Mass Effect's case, a good example would be the paring down of the number of weapons and weapon stats in favour of a streamlined system that better aided the action focus of ME2. I absolutely understand why Bioware did that, but tinkering with the numbers was something I missed when it was stripped out for ME2.

For as much as ME2, AC2, and Uncharted 2 clearly took the smart (successful, popular) direction towards a more refined experience, the improved storytelling and pacing in these games didn't work for me, certainly not enough to make up for what I lost in the roughly-hewn mechanics. Losing some of that roughness tended instead to highlight other shortcomings.

TL;DR Mass Effect is possibly the only one I'd want to go back and play. And yes, that's ridiculous.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

I don't think it's ridiculous at all, in Mass Effect's case I think I agree. As much as I loved 2, it lost some of the nerdy, hard sci flavour of the original in favour of a more cinematic experience. They're both great games but there's something about the atmosphere of ME1 that it's sequels didn't quite capture.
Suits

Post by Suits »

BaileyBoy wrote: May 7th, 2020, 11:02 am They're both great games but there's something about the atmosphere of ME1 that it's sequels didn't quite capture.
Completely.

I just find that having played through every single mission of that game, the impact of the story and characters has a lot less impact the second time around - I find it hard to go back to knowing what I know, which is a shame.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Yeah, that's definitely true. A lot of the dialogue boils down to lore/world building too which was new and exciting first time round, less so when you already know it all.