Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Shmups

Post by Michiel K »

PressEscToExit wrote: April 9th, 2020, 4:16 pm I agree 100%. I have the same approach with fighting games and the Souls series, and I think the looming spectre of "what you're supposed to know" is what stops me from engaging with those communities.

The most fun part of this Progear playthrough has been stumbling across those moments of spectacle that emerge organically from experimenting, and then figuring out how to stitch them all together. I don't think I could appreciate the design in the same way if I was learning by imitation.

I do find it strange that they never gave it a wee wash behind the ears and put it on PSN or Steam. Hopefully some of the folks willing to drop £179 on that Capcom Home Arcade stick thingy will be seeing it for the first time.
Oh yes it's on there! It needs a wider release.

I agree so much with you on the "what you're supposed to know" thing. I had a go at that Full Extent of the Jam guide by EDIT: Prometheus that Stanshall posted here way back when. "If you don't hammer save states and copy superplays of DoDonPachi, you're just an asshole, dude." FFS.

Been streaming progress runs of NES Gradius (a game I've wanted to clear legit for the better part of my life) on original hardware for Cane and Rinse and yeah, it is a bit of a pain that I lacked a clear grasp on the later bit of the game, with mistakes costing me dearly, and having to do the earlier levels over again and again (as it isn't the shortest game in the genre), but I've also really been enjoying that journey of discovery and really charting that last set of levels, which are more nebulous in my mind.

Yesterday I made some real breakthroughs and it felt amazing. Getting the clear this Friday is all but a formality now.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Just a quick one to say that 'Full Extent...' thing is by Prometheus.

I can totally see what you don't like about the tone. I feel like it's more of a 'most efficient way to learn a shmup' guide than 'best way to enjoy a shmup' recommendation, and having gone back to it later, I don't appreciate the tone in parts. On the other hand, as a practical guide, it's hard to disagree that it proposes a very effective methodology. Not sure it's necessarily enjoyable to play that way, though.

And amazing work with Gradius. It's just too hard for me, I have real admiration for your progress and I'll look forward to the clear :D
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Prometheus, right. Other Greek mythological figure. Let me go back and edit that.

Totally get what you get out of it as a practical guide and my small dose of vitriol was always aimed at the tone of that guide and how the premise came across to me, never at you, of course!

Thanks, man. You've got 1CCs on games that I find much harder, so I think you could easily do it, if you'd enjoy the game... but yeah, subjectivity of difficulty and all that.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Truxton 2 as well, eh? Very cool.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has anyone ever played Keio Flying Squadron? I saw it mentioned in passing in last months Retro Gamer and now I really want to play it. It was a Sega CD game and sells for upwards of £200 so with price as well as hardware issues it means I'll never get to play an original copy, but there are plenty of excellent emulators for the Sega CD about so I might check it out. I thought it looked quite interesting, it has a touch of Parodius about it I think. Just wondered if anyone ever heard of it?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Definitely heard of it and I know what the game looks like, but never played it, predictably.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Vasara Collection is currently 99 cents on the USA eShop. Still normal price on the UK one - GAH!!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: May 6th, 2020, 4:35 pm Vasara Collection is currently 99 cents on the USA eShop. Still normal price on the UK one - GAH!!
Ah mate I don't rate that at all tbh... You'd be much better off getting Dragon Blaze, which is the best (probably) of the Psikyo games, and Vasara feels like a pale imitation of those. The lag on Switch is also noticable and quite off-putting. I've tried going back to it a few times and always come away feeling like this. I do love the art though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

In my shmup news I've played a bit of Anger Force Reloaded, which is a lot of fun!

Mechanically it's pretty interesting with things to collect and spend, mostly I found the graphics to be the biggest takeaway - it looks stunning. Very smooth, beautiful art, HD graphics. The bullets are clear to see which I always appreciate (Shikhondo is an example of bullets being hard to see) and you can play it in tate mode which means I get to use the flip grip. Recommended for Switch owners, it's got a campaign and Arcade modes so there looks to be some longevity there with more opening up as you scale the difficulties.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I enjoyed that until I felt the grind. Since I booted Animal Crossing, I've fired up the 360 again and very much back on my bullshit.

I'm going for a Futari Maniac Mode 1CC to ease me back into God Mode.

Great thing about the stick is you can't easily smash it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: May 6th, 2020, 4:41 pm
Alex79uk wrote: May 6th, 2020, 4:35 pm Vasara Collection is currently 99 cents on the USA eShop. Still normal price on the UK one - GAH!!
Ah mate I don't rate that at all tbh... You'd be much better off getting Dragon Blaze, which is the best (probably) of the Psikyo games, and Vasara feels like a pale imitation of those. The lag on Switch is also noticable and quite off-putting. I've tried going back to it a few times and always come away feeling like this. I do love the art though.
Oh thanks, I'll have a look.

I picked up Zed Blade the other day for about three quid, it's an Arcade Archives release and is pretty fun.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall wrote: May 6th, 2020, 5:59 pm I enjoyed that until I felt the grind.
Uh oh
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

anybody have any experience with Steredenn? I'm thinking of nabbing it for the Switch, but I'm concerned about the screen-shaking effect that it seems to use quite liberally. I'm worried it'll be too distracting, especially for a game that already has a reputation for high difficulty. what say you?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

shadowless_kick wrote: May 9th, 2020, 11:13 am anybody have any experience with Steredenn? I'm thinking of nabbing it for the Switch, but I'm concerned about the screen-shaking effect that it seems to use quite liberally. I'm worried it'll be too distracting, especially for a game that already has a reputation for high difficulty. what say you?
This review of the PS4 version says you can turn that effect off in the settings - can't imagine any reason they wouldn't include that option in the Switch port.

http://1cclog.blogspot.com/2019/05/ster ... 4.html?m=1
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Not a fan of procedurally generated content, personally, although it has its fans. I think it's probably worth buying if that and the pseudo-analogue movement are not a deal-breaker for you. Very high replayability, too.

Screen shake can be disabled in the options, as far as I know.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

excellent. thanks, guys.
KSubzero1000 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 11:36 am Not a fan of procedurally generated content, personally, although it has its fans.
I'm not usually into roguelike elements, but those same features in a shooter intrigue me. I prefer playing by "feel" rather than more structured pattern memorization and the like, so I think I'll have a good time with it.