Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)

Even though I still like this game a lot, I think my feelings on this game have dampened a bit coming back to it. While on the one hand it feels like a magnum opus of the series, it also feels a lot less focused than previous games too, often leading to a fair degree of nonsense to put up with. Traffic cars popping up out of nowhere, AI opponents doing nonsensical things and spawning in the wrong direction in Road Rage events, stuff like that.

And I have kind of mixed feelings on the open world too. On the one hand, it does feel like a really well designed playground for driving like a loony, with lots of fun twisty roads and shortcuts and such, with practically every corner being unique. But at other times it doesn't quite nail the layout, leading to enough rough edges for it to be a noticeable irritation. Visual readability can also be an issue as well, with a lot of the environments being similar looking grey concrete blocks. And driving at night makes things even harder. A feature which was incidentally patched in to the original version of this game post-release.

But the races are still generally fun, and the feel of the cars is still tight as anything, and a gold standard for arcade racers. Or at least, it is once you get in to the latter half of the game. I remember this game having a lot of post-credits content, but I didn't realise it was practically half the game. And honestly I found the first half to be underwhelming this time through, as most of the cars didn't feel great to drive. Then suddenly after the credits roll for the first time, the game clicks in a way that it didn't do before when you get access to the higher end vehicles. It makes me wonder with how controversial this game can be within the fanbase, if a lot of that animosity could be explained by people only playing to the first "ending" and not realising what they were missing.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

April - Fallout 1 (PC)
April - Telltale's Game of Thrones (PC)

May - The Darkness II (PS3)
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I have essentially beaten Piczle Cross Adventure, barring a handful of bonus puzzles unlocked in the postgame.

I am torn in regard to this game, because for every decision that falls flat compared to other nonogram titles on the market (in terms of 2020 releases, the Switch alone has already hosted Picross S4, Murder by Numbers, and Depixtion, and there's probably a few others I'm unaware of), it makes one that feels like a decision that should have been a standard in the genre to begin with.

Let's start with the best: there's an option where, after filling out a row or column, the game will automatically mark each unmarked tile with an X to indicate that it's not meant to be filled. This saves a lot of busywork that comes standard with these puzzles, and should absolutely be adopted by other games of its ilk. There are also a healthy number of options to allow all players to be able to complete the game, including an option to play with one hand and one where you don't have to hold the button to mark several tiles in a row for those who struggle with fine motor skills. Again, very smart.

The puzzles themselves aren't anything to write home about, ranging from 5x5 to 20x15, but there are enough to keep you occupied for a solid eight-odd hours. Any sense of tedium comes not from solving the puzzles, but the gaps in between. Your protagonist does a little pose, the item you created returns back to normal from its pixelated prison, and you wander off to the next gap in space to do the process over again. I acknowledge the effort to giving an incentive to want to do those puzzles, but it didn't really pay off.

It doesn't help that the protagonist is an egotistical upstart and the game is all too quick to point out bizarre elements of game design without A, criticizing it, or B, trying to change it for the better. The whole thing just feels slipshod, and made me really wish for a "just give me the puzzles" option. I did eventually get that in the form of the aforementioned bonus puzzles... though for some reason playing them robs you of the ability to pause the game. That might be the perfect summary for Piczle Cross Adventure: every time you get what you're looking for from it, it has to fit in something else to sour your mood just a little bit.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

08/02 - Dishonored
28/02 - EQQO
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
21/04 - Transistor
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
20/05 - The Gardens Between

Really enjoyed this little game. Only a couple of hours long, but it was a really enjoyable and relaxing time. The visual design is really nice, with its dreamscape dioramas and soft colours, with a nice little touch of constellations being a stylistic through-line as well. It's pretty inventive with its mechanics too. While none of it is particularly mentally taxing, it has some neat ideas of manipulating time as you move forward and backward through levels. Somewhat reminiscent of Braid in that sense. But one thing that stood out with a few of the puzzles was when solutions required you to stay in place or manipulate time around one spot to make certain things happen, rather than just figuring out the right order to do everything. It frequently resulted in some very amusing unexpected outcomes. The overall tone really struck a cord with me too. I has a very wistful and nostalgic feel to it, in a dreamlike way like fragmented memories. While the ending and credits song does push things dangerously close to overly sentimental territory, it manages to stop just short of getting in to cloying territory.

Also, before playing this, in my mind it was always called "The Gardens Inbetween". I was somewhat surprised to find that it's not actually called that. It has a much better ring to it in my opinion.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 Remake
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
8th May - The Last of Us: Left Behind
9th May - Far Cry Primal
21st May - Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches

Top notch expansion packs these. They really make the most of the lore and the engine for this game, plus some more of those brilliantly designed levels.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Left on read

After downloading Steam on my mac for the first time to play Disco Elysium I noticed this was on the new releases and free so O downloaded it.

It's a text conversation between you and a girl who you were at school with over the course of the covid-19 situation. Aim is to keep the chat going and be in a relationship with her at the end. It was alright, couple of smart ideas but I've had enough annoying text conversations with members of the opposite sex to enjoy this. There's very little mention or influence of the Corona virus in this apart from being in quarantine.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)
10/04 - Tangle Tower (Switch)
13/05 - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PS Vita)
23/05 - Mega Man X2 (Switch)

Really great. Not quite as great as its predecessor, but still stellar.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Showdown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4

*replayed
May - Death Stranding
May - The Dig
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
25th Mar - Dishonored
4th Apr - Hitman 2
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
9th May - Far Cry Primal
24th May - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Continuing this Naughty Dog themed couple of months of gaming... Pretty great! Photo mode provided a lot of entertainment too.

Edit: so after you've beaten the game you can unlock a
cel-shade rendering mode! I had to go back and replay a couple of favourite levels just to check it out. It looks fantastic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jon Cheetham wrote: May 24th, 2020, 3:22 pm
13th Jan - Dishonored 2
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
25th Mar - Dishonored
4th Apr - Hitman 2
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
9th May - Far Cry Primal
24th May - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Continuing this Naughty Dog themed couple of months of gaming... Pretty great! Photo mode provided a lot of entertainment too.

Edit: so after you've beaten the game you can unlock a
cel-shade rendering mode! I had to go back and replay a couple of favourite levels just to check it out. It looks fantastic.
Ha yeah, I'm sure you could unlock the same in Uncharted 4 too. I unlocked all the rendering modes, they're quite interesting to look at. I did exactly the same as you, went back in to replay parts.

Did you like the story? I remember being surprised and pleased when...
...Sam Drake turned up. I really wasn't expecting that. Don't know if he'd been in trailers so most people knew or not, but I had no idea he was in the game.
I absolutely loved Lost Legacy, such a tight, perfectly paced adventure.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79uk wrote: May 25th, 2020, 8:04 am Ha yeah, I'm sure you could unlock the same in Uncharted 4 too. I unlocked all the rendering modes, they're quite interesting to look at. I did exactly the same as you, went back in to replay parts.

Did you like the story? I remember being surprised and pleased when...
...Sam Drake turned up. I really wasn't expecting that. Don't know if he'd been in trailers so most people knew or not, but I had no idea he was in the game.
I absolutely loved Lost Legacy, such a tight, perfectly paced adventure.
Awesome... I think I'll probably replay both in cel-shaded mode later this year. One of my favourite visual styles.

I really liked the story actually! Nadine and Chloe are a great duo.
Sam was a surprise to me as well, since I came to these games so late I have the benefit of going in basically blind. The classic Hollywood "self-preserving protagonists decide to be heroic" scene near the end actually felt really earned and well directed, especially given Sam and Nadine's arcs since Uncharted 4. And the mid-credits scene was extremely charming.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished Ion Fury.

Definitely a good spiritual sequel to Duke 3d which almost feels like a new duke game on essence but with a more likeable protagonist

The shooting is fun and the level design is just as complex as before but feel like the game just went on for too long. If they had chopped the last 3 chapters off I would've felt more satisfied with it as I was becoming fatigued by its repetitive gameplay loop.

The enemy types dont really evolve in interesting ways and the guns, whilst fun, really could've used one last BFG style moment but ultimately what you see in chapter one is what you end up with in chapter 7 (which is usually comprised of 4 levels which are lengthy, especially of you want to find the secrets)

The game is a bit of a dick with its attitude but feels appropriate for the era its aping but when the game says "real gamers go for 100%" I just wanted to cry with cringe on the inside

Some of the humour works for me, some doesnt but if you're into FPS games from the 90s then this is definitely recommended, even if the devs seem to be lacking in charm
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

08/02 - Dishonored
28/02 - EQQO
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
21/04 - Transistor
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)

Unfortunately I simply don't like this one, despite being a big fan of Platinum generally. Even after giving it the best possible chance of playing the whole thing, on a version that should be best possible, my feelings on it are pretty much the same as my first impressions of it from years ago playing the Wii U demo.

I do not like the isometric camera perspective at all. It creates a bunch of huge problems that just never go away through the whole experience. Simultaneously zoomed too close in, and too far out. Too close to be able to get a decent view of things, making it hard to get an understanding of your surroundings and what enemies are doing; yet too far to be able to see your tiny character and what enemies that are on-screen are up to as well. Always stuck in a middle ground of being insufficient at both ends. The perspective makes platforming a nightmare too, making it really hard to judge depth and where you are in relation to other things. That can sometimes be an issue in combat as well, but platforming is where it's most felt.

The game is also really bad at visual telegraphing in general, even regardless of the camera issues. Plenty of enemy attacks don't have a good telegraph at all, especially ones introduced later on. They have little to no wind-up, and their hurtboxes come out way sooner than they feel like they should. The game is extremely colourful and very chaotic, to the point of it being overwhelming. So what telegraphing there is often gets lost in the noise and you can't pick it out among the unimportant details. And these are not issues I tend to have with other similar games. I can parse the likes of Bayonetta, DMC, or Astral Chain fine. But here it's too much to take in, and I don't feel like the game is being anywhere near clear enough as it should. It resulted in me feeling like 90% of the damage I was taking was stuff I basically couldn't have done anything about.

It's also rather fond of pushing you in to scripted sequences that are obtuse and sometimes quite punishing. Not necessarily QTEs, as those tend to be pretty clearly communicated, but instead parts where you are still given control, except you are required to pull of some highly specific thing that it will frequently introduce a completely new control scheme for. It feels gimmicky and arbitrary, and most of the time just not fun, with a few exceptions.

Not much positive I can say to be honest. The Unite Morph system is inventive, but in in light of everything else, that's little consolation. The kinaesthetics are good, as it usually the case with Platinum. The framing and presentation of the Super Sentai-style hero thing is cute at first, but it gets old. It results in a lot of very dragged out and grating dialogue. I guess Platinum Robo is pretty cool, and there were some fun moments in the finale. Soundtrack isn't bad either.

At least it's under my belt now. And I'm looking forward to Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall. Hopefully they will be better. Although looking back at the Platinum back catalogue, I've still yet to give God Hand a proper go...
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#12 - Wuppo

Wuppo is still a phenomenal game, and there's really nothing else like it. It's this oddball feverdream of a game from Holland, with a cute aesthetic and its own internal sense of logic. Why should you play it? It's just a nice game. It's often sentimental, but not saccharine. A complaint I have about most "emotional" indie games is that they feel fake, forced, and overly dramatic. In Wuppo, you play as a weird little circular critter called a Wum, and the stakes are super low - you get kicked out of your apartment for spilling ice cream on the floor, and the goal is to find a new home. That's it. You make lots of friends along the way, you help people, and you accidentally save the world.

Mechanically it's sound, with lots of massive bosses and rewarding exploration. It has lots of RPG-style events to flesh out the world and grant rewards. It's great! Go play it.

However, the PS4 version has some serious bugs... One section early on tasks you with stealing an item from your neighbours, but the way the NPCs spawn makes it MUCH more difficult than the PC version. The trophy stats for this game indicate that most people likely didn't advance past this section in particular, which is a shame. I also encountered several hard crashes that spit out GameMaker Studio error codes which is like... Really something one wouldn't expect to encounter in a game released by a legitimate publisher (Soedesco). But these are small blemishes on an otherwise great game.

Go play Wuppo.

&Iso2020
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I finished Control, Which while I enjoyed some bits of it, just never clicked for me. I found the navigation, checkpoint system, and massive difficult spike at the end just frustrating, never fun. Didn't help I didn't follow the story at all, and my game bugged out at the very end making it impossible for me to actually finish it, so I had to cheese it to see the ending.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

chase210 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:22 am I finished Control, Which while I enjoyed some bits of it, just never clicked for me. I found the navigation, checkpoint system, and massive difficult spike at the end just frustrating, never fun. Didn't help I didn't follow the story at all, and my game bugged out at the very end making it impossible for me to actually finish it, so I had to cheese it to see the ending.
I did play the first few hours of this game and even though I found the combat fun, I just kind of fell away from it as I just thought the story was too ambiguous. I also thought it was pretty hard and could only see it getting harder. I was thinking of going back to it someday but after what you say about the difficult spike, I think maybe not.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I finished Steamworld Heist yesterday. Really fantastic turn based combat game. All the characters felt unique and it had some interesting upgrade trees and weapons. Great variety of enemies too that meant every battle was fun and engaging. On experienced difficulty I found it just the right amount of challenge for my skill levels, had to do a little grinding before I was powerful enough with my team to defeat the final boss, but not too much to make it a pain.
I've only recently discovered this genre after playing Mario and Rabbids which I also loved and so I'm looking for recommendations please.
I know that XCOM 2 is classed as the pinnacle of the genre and I bought it on PC earlier this year, but I wasn't as keen due to the base management stuff which doesn't interest me too much and I found it really quite hard, even on the highest difficulty.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:57 am I've only recently discovered this genre after playing Mario and Rabbids which I also loved and so I'm looking for recommendations please.
This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you played any of the Fire Emblem games?

They're turn-based tactical RPGs. Generally speaking, the older ones are harder and more focused on the tactical side of things, while the more recent ones are easier but incorporate a lot of extra mechanical elements, like base management and grinding opportunities. Stories are always set in anime medieval fantasy worlds and range from dramatic and heartfelt to fluffy J-pop.

There is a lot to love if it clicks with you! :)
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Angry_Kurt wrote: May 27th, 2020, 9:57 am I finished Steamworld Heist yesterday. Really fantastic turn based combat game. All the characters felt unique and it had some interesting upgrade trees and weapons. Great variety of enemies too that meant every battle was fun and engaging. On experienced difficulty I found it just the right amount of challenge for my skill levels, had to do a little grinding before I was powerful enough with my team to defeat the final boss, but not too much to make it a pain.
I've only recently discovered this genre after playing Mario and Rabbids which I also loved and so I'm looking for recommendations please.
I know that XCOM 2 is classed as the pinnacle of the genre and I bought it on PC earlier this year, but I wasn't as keen due to the base management stuff which doesn't interest me too much and I found it really quite hard, even on the highest difficulty.
Xcom: Chimera Squad has just released which is a streamlined version of the traditional Xcom gameplay, might be just what you're after.

Into the Breach is a fantastic game that is difficult, but quite simple to play and is available on basically everything.

If an RPG with tactical, turn based combat sounds appealing then either of the Divinity: Original Sin games are the best in the business. Fire Emblem would also be worth a look.

Plenty of other options out there depending on what platforms you own but to an extent, high difficulty tends to be a hallmark of this particular genre.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'll second the Into the Breach recommendation. Great, unique gameplay structure at a discount price. The game is also exceptionally fair, from what I understand.