Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NoMoreSpearows

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Good Job!, and it is not clicking with me whatsoever. Either I missed some in-game hint about how certain mechanics work (looking at you, plugs), or it's just outright expecting players to break everything in sight to get to the end goal, despite the fact that it also rewards players for not doing so. Frankly, playing for an S rank is a lot more like the actual work it's meant to be emulating than anything else, which does not mean that it's fun in any sense of the word. Those looking for a game that makes using a mop engaging and rewarding should turn to Dustforce instead.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

The Banner Saga, pt. 1

Got this in December 2018 literally just because of how beautiful it was and played like an hour. Went back to it today and I'm besotted. I think the broader diet of gaming I've had in the interim has given me more of a palette for it.

I'd been hungering for some straightforward but entertaining grid based combat which this has, the conversation choices are tough and interesting, and the way resources management figures into them is always meaningful. Think I'll want to play straight through the trilogy at this rate.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm about two hours in to Bayonetta and really enjoying it, but is it just me or is the story utterly incomprehensible? I really have no clue what's going on, just enjoying the spectacle!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I played the demo for Cris Tales that is on GOG right now. I wasn't a fan of it, but I can see it being really appealing to some people. It's an indie turn-based RPG with a very fairy tale/storybook aesthetic to it, and a time travel conceit to it. The art is very nice, with a sort of pop-up book look to it, and I can see some potential in the time control mechanics, where you move between the past, present, and future to alter things to solve problems, or for certain effects in combat too. I didn't like that combat however. Going in, I didn't know this game was JRPG-like, despite having vaguely recognised seeing the game somewhere before. I don't tend to like these systems, and this was no exception. It has some timing mechanics where if you press a button at the right time while attacking/defending you can add an extra hit or deflect attacks. But the window for defending didn't feel right. There was also a moment when they were explaining how the time control mechanics work in battle during a boss fight, where you have to use a water spell in the present to rust their shield in the future. I worked out what it wanted me to do before it explicitly told me, but it wouldn't work until it ran through the tutorial for it. Then after that point the battle dragged on for way more turns than it needed to, where you're doing nothing more than basic attacks and blocks. But despite all that, I can see this game being right up the alley for some people. The art really is nice, and it has a distinctive look to it, and those time mechanics have potential. So if you're in to this sort of RPG, and can deal with some potentially grating voice acting, it might be worth trying out.

Also started playing Yakuza 5 Remastered. I was unsure about starting this, as I sort of wanted to leave more time after beating 4 to jump in, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's helpful that it feels like you start off at a way higher baseline when it comes to combat mechanics than you do in the previous games, and most of the later games too come to think of it. Movement feel quicker, and you have way more options than the small array of light and heavy attacks that make up 90% of what you do in the early combat hours of these games usually. Also I'm trying to take it easy when I play it for a session, quitting before I feel like I've pushed too far for the sake of getting through more of the game in a sitting.

And I also played Feather for a bit. This is more of an interactive toy/experience thing than anything else really. You control a bird and fly around a small island, where you can explore all the little points of interest dotted around, and can change your bird or the music that is playing by flying through some magic hoops. It also has Journey-esque drop-in multiplayer where other people can join you in your game randomly, but the only form of interaction you have it the ability to screech at them. I saw pretty much everything it had to offer in about 45 minutes, but it was a good time. Just flying around aimlessly, seeing what there was to see, taking in the atmosphere. It created a number of very pretty and even somewhat moving scenes. Coming in to contact with other players has a very organic feeling to it as well, like Journey did.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

JRPGs are my comfort genre but I hadn't played any this year (since Octopath anyway). I decided to change that in recent weeks.

I bought a cheap copy of Ni No Kuni 2 last year but only started it last weekend. The action combat is better than the first one. I really like the mechanic of restoring magic power through physical attacks, it gives a nice ebb and flow to physical/magic use. The story is really basic. Its pretty (except for the chibi style world map) but doesn't have the same impact as the first game did.

I'm also playing The World Ends With You Solo Remix. This is the phone version that I got years ago out of curiosity. I'd rather be playing the DS version, but unfortunately its in my parents' house down the country. I still like it enough to keep going.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Finished Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I was genuinely thrilled by five minutes near the end, but the rest was just alright. I’m not sure I’d recommend it to anyone unless it was free with PS+ or similar (or a birthday present like my copy.).

Speaking of PS+, CoD WW2 has been a proper thrill ride! About half way through the campaign and it’s been set-piece after exhilarating set-piece. Great advert for the service, just when it needs it.

Finally, hugely impressed by another birthday present, Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. Two worlds in on my first ever play through, and it’s been a joy so far!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm about 3 hours in to Days Gone on PS4 after picking it up dead cheap from Argos a couple of days ago. After getting annoyed I'd lost progress because the game doesn't explain the save system near the start of the game, I'm having a lot of fun. The zombies genuinely put you on edge, it looks OK (but not top tier) and the world seems pretty convincing. My only criticism thus far is the audio. I'm using surround headphones and the sound design really doesn't lend itself to being able to identify where zombie shuffling or wailing is coming from. It actually makes the game more difficult. I've got the setting on '3D headphones' but I'll be having a play with the different options tonight and see if that helps. Seems good so far, though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: June 1st, 2020, 5:39 pm I'm about 3 hours in to Days Gone on PS4 after picking it up dead cheap from Argos a couple of days ago. After getting annoyed I'd lost progress because the game doesn't explain the save system near the start of the game, I'm having a lot of fun. The zombies genuinely put you on edge, it looks OK (but not top tier) and the world seems pretty convincing. My only criticism thus far is the audio. I'm using surround headphones and the sound design really doesn't lend itself to being able to identify where zombie shuffling or wailing is coming from. It actually makes the game more difficult. I've got the setting on '3D headphones' but I'll be having a play with the different options tonight and see if that helps. Seems good so far, though.
Exact same thing happened to me at the start of Days Gone Alex, I think I had a similar issue with the audio also and I ended up scouting the area Assassins Creed style and tagging them all prior to going in.
FaceIKnow

Post by FaceIKnow »

Thoroughly enjoying ‘Days Gone’ at the moment, also having the same issue with sound through TV speakers but it’s not hindering my enjoyment of the game, if anything it’s adding to the experience of scoping out a camp, etc, and finding the best strategy to take the place/freaks out. Liking the silenced rifle and sniper rifle for that.

Made the unfortunate mistake of parking the bike at a historical marker outside a cave, then going and taking out an outpost and returning later to find a horde emerging from said cave…
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I had my first experience of a big hoard last night at a Nero post. I just ran away, it was horrifying! Had some fun sneaking round a logging camp taking out a few nests though. Molotov, RUN! Molotov, RUN! Repeat 6 times... It was cool.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Alex79uk wrote: May 31st, 2020, 12:18 am I'm about two hours in to Bayonetta and really enjoying it, but is it just me or is the story utterly incomprehensible? I really have no clue what's going on, just enjoying the spectacle!
You're not alone there. I have no problem with an absurd, overblown scenario of an amnesiac witch fighting angels, but at the most basic level, I could not track any sort of motivation or goal for either the villains or Bayonetta herself. Where you're going and why you're going there is never clear.

I remember being confused from the very first scene; "Wait, whos' grave is this? Was it Rodins? Is he Humpty Dumpty? Was Rodin dead? What was Bayonetta doing?" and it never really improved from there. Still a tremendously fun game, but I wish I had even the slightest bit of context for the glorious carnage.
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Octopath Traveler

I've never been one for JRPGs (Final Fantasy Tactics aside, if that counts), but I picked this up when it was on sale strictly for the art style. I'm about 20 hours in and am definitely enjoying it so far, especially after turning off the voices and just reading all of the dialogue. I don't mind how the story (so far) is self serious and kind of meh, but I'm enjoying the gameplay much more than I thought I would.
Maybe I do enjoy JRPGs now and didn't even realize it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Totally out of the blue the kids grandad bought them Super Mario Party for the Switch this morning. At least, he ordered it and I went down to Smyths to pick it up, so we've been playing that. Seems fun, although has already caused plenty of tantrums and arguments :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

ActRaiser on the SNES.

I can see why people talk so fondly of this, its rather unique and very compelling.

Basically, (if you don't know), its a top down strategy game, with shooter elements and a truly mad platform adventure game baked in as well.

Visually, the side scrolling platform elements are beautiful, great art, reminds me of Capcom stuff a little.

I'm onto the second area now and just wrecked the Griffen.

I very much enjoy the side scrolling elements more than the town development/shooter bits.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Currently going through Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death again. It's a pretty fun game, but it's clearly not very polished. It's one of those games that makes up for its flaws through sheer enthusiasm though, so it's hard to hold its problems against it too hard. It's aping the (old) God of War gameplay style completely shamelessly, and it does an okay job at it. Attacks feel good and there's enough variety in moves to make you want to do at least a little bit more than just randomly button mash. But it's got its fair share of jank. Sometimes it can be pretty picky about registering inputs, and it has a habit of stun-locking you when you get in the wrong corner surrounded by enemies. Enemy design is pretty hit-and-miss too. But it does well enough to scratch that itch, and does an admirable job at it for how low budget this game clearly is in comparison to its inspiration. It has a very tongue-in-cheek tone to it as well that is hard not to appreciate, and a breakneck pace to it that ends up feeling comical with just how silly things get. There's very little downtime, like the game is squeezing the absolute maximum level of silly action scenes out of the short runtime. So it moves to fast that you rarely get any time to dwell on any flaws the game has.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 2:45 pm ActRaiser on the SNES.

I can see why people talk so fondly of this, its rather unique and very compelling.

Basically, (if you don't know), its a top down strategy game, with shooter elements and a truly mad platform adventure game baked in as well.

Visually, the side scrolling platform elements are beautiful, great art, reminds me of Capcom stuff a little.

I'm onto the second area now and just wrecked the Griffen.

I very much enjoy the side scrolling elements more than the town development/shooter bits.
Absolute banger.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Days Gone is one of those games I spend all day looking forward to being able to play later. I'm really loving it so far. The sense of being a drifter, riding from place to place carrying out bounties or exploring NERO sites is brilliant, and I'm starting to feel almost as attached to my bike as I did my horse in Red Dead. Fantastic atmosphere, and whilst I know the game is very long, perhaps too long, at the moment it's really everything I wanted from it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I haven't really focused on one game to the end in a bit. But, I've been playing...

Spider-Man 2 on the PS2. Never played it when it came out. So far, just as fun as it's reputation had me believe.

Monster Hunter World on the PC. I played for two days last year and didn't go back. Now, I'm hooked and really digging into it.

Phantasy Star Online 2 is such an info dump. It's a bit mindless, sort of a Dynasty Warriors experience, but it's a nice way to turn my brain off with a friend.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Alex79uk wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:14 am Days Gone is one of those games I spend all day looking forward to being able to play later. I'm really loving it so far. The sense of being a drifter, riding from place to place carrying out bounties or exploring NERO sites is brilliant, and I'm starting to feel almost as attached to my bike as I did my horse in Red Dead. Fantastic atmosphere, and whilst I know the game is very long, perhaps too long, at the moment it's really everything I wanted from it.
I haven't played Days Gone and don't have a PS4, but I've always been a bit intrigued by it as it was developed in and is set around Bend in Central Oregon, which is in my neck of the woods and is one of my absolute favourite places in the world - sort of a confluence of jagged mountain peaks, dense rain forests and desert. It's so cool to see a AAA videogame with that specific setting, and I kind of want to play it for that alone.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that's exactly what the world is like, you move between these really nice wooded areas that remind me a lot of the woods I used to play in as a kid to these sandy, almost desert like backdrops with mountains in the distance. Although the game hasn't taken me there yet I'm looking forward to riding up to those snowy areas and exploring around. It's a really nice game world, and there have been several points it's really felt like I've been riding around the world of Red Dead.