Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Flabyo »

Most of the weapons are kinda meh, and sometimes it’s a little hard to tell what you can and can’t stand on. But I just like the vibe of it, has some of my favourite game music as well.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I finished Control last night. I came to the conclusion that it's basically a Kojima sequel to Psi Ops but he had an editor to trim the fat into a nice concise experience.

I really liked it. At first I was so confused. From the story to the UI to the awful map and slowly over the short duration of the playthrough I grew to really understand what the game wants from me. The story is still a bit of a curio to me but I felt satisfied with the ending enough to warrant the sheer vague and bewildering opening.

The combat is where it really shone, as with all Remedy games and the story intrigue really pulled me through. (unlike the bland world of Quantum Break).

Jesse Faden is probably my favourite Remedy protagonist of them all and I'm really keen to see where the DLC takes her (if at all) but overall i'm ready for more Control
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:43 am Most of the weapons are kinda meh, and sometimes it’s a little hard to tell what you can and can’t stand on. But I just like the vibe of it, has some of my favourite game music as well.
Yeah, I think I found a weapon I liked very near the beginning and then just saw no reason to change from it. Agree though, the music was fantastic. I really like the whole almost space western vibe to the game, too.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I think I should go back to it after what you have said about the still enjoying the story after the vague and bewildering opening which I agree with. I was enjoying the combat but as the story wasn't pulling me through at the time due to me having very little idea what was going on, I moved onto other games. I think I got up to just after meeting the janitor is his HQ so to speak.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Spoiler: show

3 January: Untitled Goose Game (Xbox One)
13 January: Punch-Out! (NES on Switch)
16 January: Spyro the Dragon (PS4)
19 January: Mega Man X (SNES Classic Mini)
26 January: The Ninja Saviors (Switch)
31 January: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES on Switch)
3 February: Bulletstorm (PS4)
5 February: Koral (Switch)
7 February: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch)
9 February: Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
10 February: Super Cycle (C64 Mini)
16 February: Bioshock (PS4)
18 February: Castlevania - Circle of the Moon (Game Boy Advance)
19 February: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night (Xbox One)
25 February: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Game Boy Advance)
27 February: Ninja Gaiden Shadow (Game Boy)
29 February: Ghostbusters (C64 Mini)
4 March: Destruction Derby 2 (PlayStation Classic)
14 March: Doom 3 (Switch)
18 March: Anodyne (Switch)
30 March: Agent X (ZX Spectrum)
31 March: Agent X II (ZX Spectrum)
4 April: Death Star Interceptor (ZX Spectrum)
11 April: Doom 64 (Switch)
13 April: Doom (Switch)
26 April: Doom II (Switch)
27 April: Kid Dracula (Game Boy)
30 April: Saboteur 2 - Avenging Angel (Switch)
3 May: TimeSplitters (PS2)
5 May: TimeSplitters 2 (PS2)
6 May: Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
7 May: Moley Christmas (ZX Spectrum)
14 May: Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive Mini)
18 May: Daley Thompson’s Decathlon (ZX Spectrum)
26 May: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Game Boy Colour)
31 May: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4)

May began with the extremely generous delivery of a replacement PS2 from our friend Suits, and meant I could finally finish the two TimeSplitters games. I’m still playing regularly to improve times on the original too!

Streets of Rage 4 is top of my game of the year list so far, despite having spent 285 hours in Animal Crossing now! Still playing it every couple of days, absolute keeper.

The rest was going back to some old favourites. Oh yeah, nearly forgot the latest Star Wars game too, which is indicative of how memorable I found it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Max X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

May as well stick this on now due to seeing credits roll, but I'm far from finished with it. It's been a glorious 130 hours so far, and I do wonder how much of this was due to lockdown. I'm not even sure I'd have bought it under normal conditions, but I'm glad I did. It's been a nice place to escape to for a couple of hours every evening. As I said though, nowhere near done. Currently working on a dinosaur clifftop nature walk and an outdoor gym area. I delight every time I pull a big fish out of the sea, love chasing rare butterflies with my net, rejoice when I visit a mystery island with fruit I don't have yet, and roll my eyes every time I see that fucking ghost twat who's lost his spirit pieces AGAIN.

It's a magnificent game, and one I will probably be checking in daily on for some time to come. Don't wanna lose those bonus Nook miles for checking the cash point, do I!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

17-5 Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (Arcade)

I might have credit fed through this via CoinOPS on o.g. Xbox before with my daughter, but we did it again, with arcade sticks, live on stream, last month.

3-6 Hebereke's Popoon (SNES)

Fancied playing a bit of SNES last night and I hadn't spent enough time with this nutty action puzzler yet. I set the AI to the easiest level just so that I would have the breathing room to properly parse the puzzle logic and I cleared the story mode in one go. Today I tried the deafault difficulty level and while the fights were much closer, I was still not getting beaten before I had to quit to shop for food and cook for my family, so I think I have a handle on it now.

FUN GAME!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

JAN - Links Awakening remake
JAN - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
FEB - Disco Elysium
MAR - Lara Croft Go
APR - Judgement
May - Steamworld Heist
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

April - Fallout 1 (PC)
April - Telltale's Game of Thrones (PC)
May - The Darkness II (PS3)

June - Orcs Must Die! 2 (PC)

I thoroughly enjoyed the first game in this fantasy tower-defence-with-a-third-person-wizard series, but playing through the sequel's campaign with a mate in the online co-op mode took the fun factor up several notches. As the saying doesn't go, 'An orc problem shared...' With an addictive blend of thoughtful planning and frantic left-clicking action, and cartoonish but crisp graphics, this has got me eagerly awaiting the third installment, apparently due out later this year.

Would highly recommend, even to those who aren't traditionally fans of tower defence games, especially if you can rustle up a willing co-op partner to enhance the experience.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Dune 2 - Megadrive version over on Patreon for One Credit. Did it over 9 parts with Harkonnen. Loved the Amiga version when it came out in the 90's and never got a chance to play the MD one. Glad I did it's cracking!

Also getting dangerously close to a 1CC on Super Pang as well. Trying to do it on livestream. Died on level 39/40 on Thursday. Gutted haha!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#13 - Final Fantasy XIII-2

Yeah so this game is great. I actually wound up getting the platinum trophy on this - first time I've done that since Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. In general, if the trophies compel me to see every corner of the game the devs have crafted instead of just being random chance or mindless busywork... I'll probably see much of the game.

And this one was a really good time. It's essentially a time travel game, but unlike Chrono Trigger where you're jumping across multiple time periods in a mostly linear timeline, FF13-2 mostly takes place within a 400 year period, and many of the time periods are alternate timelines that are more in the "what could be" than the "what will be". The game's pacing, as a result, isn't straightforward, and I actually recommend playing this one with a guide for that reason.

While this game is far from perfect, I had a really great time with my 60ish hours doing everything in the game, and I think it's sadly defined by its predecessor - to which it's only kinda-sorta related - and overlooked for that reason. Definitely recommended if you're wanting a long JRPG.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

OneCreditBen wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:46 am Dune 2 - Megadrive version over on Patreon for One Credit. Did it over 9 parts with Harkonnen. Loved the Amiga version when it came out in the 90's and never got a chance to play the MD one. Glad I did it's cracking!
It's great, isn't it? If only I had more time to just play video games...
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Michiel K wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:10 pm
OneCreditBen wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:46 am Dune 2 - Megadrive version over on Patreon for One Credit. Did it over 9 parts with Harkonnen. Loved the Amiga version when it came out in the 90's and never got a chance to play the MD one. Glad I did it's cracking!
It's great, isn't it? If only I had more time to just play video games...
It's fantastic, I'm looking at maybe doing an Atreides Clear on the livestream as a multipart, who knows. It was loads of fun to put this together. The last mission was a proper epic as well!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death

Another game I went through a second time. It's not bad, and is admirably ambitious for being a small indie game trying to recreate a God of War style game. Has a fun self-aware sense of humour to it, and isn't a bad looking game either. Combat is okay, but towards the end it starts to go off the rails a bit. It's pretty sloppily executed. It mostly gets away with it early on when it's on the easier side, but towards the end there's an increasing number of really bad encounters that highlight the flaws more and more.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Shodown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4
May - Death Stranding
May - The Dig
May - Secret of Mana (1993)

*replayed
Jun - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Jun - Battle Circuit
Jun - Doom (1993)*
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January:
God of War
Resident Evil 2 remake: Leon A and Claire B

February:
Triforce Heroes
Donkey Konga Trilogy
Halo 4
Yakuza Zero

March:
Bury me my love
DK: Jungle Beat
Florence
Axiom Verge
Halo 5
Days Gone
Gradius
Bloodstained: Curse of the moon

April
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Curse of Monkey Island
I Have no Mouth, and I must scream
The Gardens Between
Devil May Cry 5
Haven’t posted my completed games for a while for some reason. I bought an oculus quest as my wife was forcing a sofa upon our living room which seriously scuppered my PSVR gaming space. So before said sofa arrival I have been playing PSVR a lot.

Firstly I don’t know if it’s through updates or because I’m now playing on a pro but i actually find it more comfortable than the quest and aside from some dodgy detection issues with the move controllers much nicer to play!

May

Blood and truth Psvr
Last guardian VR psvr
Bloodstained : ritual of the night Xbox One gamepass
A way out ps4
Doctor who edge of time PsVR
Robinson the journey psvr

June:
yakuza Kiwami ps4
Mark of krI ps2

Also the sofa has arrived and it’s actually now the perfect position for seated VR so all is not lost.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 Remake
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
8th May - The Last of Us: Left Behind
9th May - Far Cry Primal
21st May - Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
24th May - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
31st May - The Banner Saga 1
8th June - The Banner Saga 2

The second game really builds on the first one, feeling confident from the get-go and the story really hitting its stride. I won't spoil anything but it has a tone and compositional approach to the narrative I've enjoyed in my favourite fantasy novels, so I really have been saving myself quite a lovely treat by taking so long to get round to these.

The combat, which I already enjoyed, feels more fun as well. Mainly because there is a bit more variety in the units available to you, as new characters are introduced already leveled appropriately as the story unfolds. This meant I could add them to my Heroes roster and immediately try out various stealth, area control and status effect abilities in battle. This also highlights how well considered the "Willpower" system is, as you don't have to wait for cooldowns - just manage how much Will each Hero and the army at large has and otherwise have at it. I am a beginner as far as tactics and turn-based combat goes, but I found that by the end of this one I was setting up some quite fun little traps and being able to have my Heroes' abilities integrate in a gratifying way.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished What the Golf last night.

Enjoyed it overall but I cant see me going back for the remaining levels.

It was worth a tenner, though. Enjoyed it
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Bulletstorm
Super Mario World
Cuphead
Inside
Yoshi's Island
Bleed/Bleed 2
DOOM (2015)
the Order: 1886
Ape Out
DOOM: Eternal
Nidhogg II (may not count, but I finished the arcade mode since my friends don't like it/play it like I wanted them to)
Super Mario Bros
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (World of Light)
A Way Out

Hoping to add Days Gone and Octopath Traveler to this list soon, but I feel like it'll be a while, they both feel fairly time consuming
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

How did Doom Eternal compare to Doom 2016 for you SludgeWizard. I've only played 2016 but have Eternal ready to go, but it dropped down my priority list after reading some negative feedback on the game.