The News (formally the Covid thread)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Let's have a thread about the virus, then. We might as well.

Post by ratsoalbion »

Heh, you know what I mean!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

It has been a mad last couple of weeks, eh?

Austria has been pretty good about the whole situation. People for the most part are practicing social distancing and everything but supermarkets and chemists are shut. Only 2 people allowed in at a time at chemist and face masks are mandatory now for shopping in supermarket. Other than the first week of everything shutting down, shops have been great with supplies. Only encountered the dreaded loo roll shortage once (and I had plenty at home). Also cannot travel 2 km outside your house which is a pain as some of the nicer parks are now inaccessible to me in this lovely weather. Still, I'm lucky that is my worst problem. Parents and older relatives back in Ireland are obeying the lockdown and are actually keeping to themselves which is fantastic.

With me finishing up bits and bobs of my PhD, I have literally not had time to get bored at home! Getting a lot done and by the time I'm done it feels like i have done a regular day's work. Also means I have not being able to tackle the backlog as much as I would like.

Uni for me is shut until beginning of June so expecting a few more weeks of this. Hope everybody is pulling through this OK here.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cheers for the insight into Austria Jobobanobo 👍🏽.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

No problem Suits. If they keep this level of restrictions up for a little while longer then the damage should be substantially reduced. Was a real emotional rollercoaster reading this thread and glad so many loved ones are making a recovery. Alex, things sound pretty tough at the moment. I hope your friend will get better soon.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Does anybody know if Alex is okay? It's not like him to disappear for two weeks straight... :(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

He was watching a movie with his missus last night, according to Facebook.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Thanks, good to know!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Heya Ksub, I'm still here, been reading the forum most days but have been actively avoiding posting just because I've been in a terrible mood and ending up just pointlessly arguing with people elsewhere and didn't want to end up doing that here, which probably wouldn't have happened because this forum isn't like other places but I didn't want to end up acting like an idiot on here anyway. I didn't really want to post anything like a 'leaving message' because aside from the fact I definitely wasn't leaving I'd rather just sneak out the back door :lol: I'm OK anyway, thank you.

Anyway - they woke my friend up a couple of days ago. She's still in hospital, I think she'd been under/out/asleep for 9-10 days overall. They've took her off the oxygen now and although she's not 'well' she's a lot better than she was. She's actually sat up and spoken to family. She's even posted in a what's app group we had, so definitely on the mend.

Thanks to everyone who posted their well wishes, and I'm really sorry I didn't respond to them until now, I'm a bit all over the place at the moment. Because we've been on Easter break from uni (not that we're going in at the moment anyway, but we've had no online classes) I've genuinely not known what day of the week it is and lost track of time a bit, I didn't realise it had been two weeks since I last posted! Hope everyone has been keeping well, it's weird how normal this has all become now, I hope it ends soon :(
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay mate, take care of yourself. :thumbsup:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

That’s great news Alex about your friend! It sounds stupid to say it but we are closer to the end of all this than we were 2 weeks ago. At least that’s what I keep telling myself, that’s it’s the Wednesday of this crazy time.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Even though the world has slowed down, time can still go by quickly that it might seem like only yesterday since you last posted so don't feel too bad about going offline for a bit, Alex. Great to hear that your friend is improving!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits

Post by Suits »

Love Bears 🐻.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

For anyone who has been struggling with it all, I would strongly recommend turning off news notifications on your phone, try to unplug from the wider world and tune back in every now and then when you're up for it.

I know this advice has been shared a lot but it's worth repeating. I'm still working (In a hospital but not front line), the work itself is fine and I'm glad to have a bit of normal routine but I realised my days were taking a serious decline whenever I got a notification with the latest death stats or whatever. You need to get that information when you're ready for it, not thrown at you in the middle of a huge pile of work or whatever it is you're trying to focus on.

I reckon that one small change has made a big difference for me.

Also just wanted to say it's great reading through this thread and seeing everybody here supporting each other.
Cass

Post by Cass »

So my husband has been sent home from his job because one of the ladies with whom he shares an office has contracted COVID-19. He's working on the frontlines of COVID prevention here, so we're not surprised, but this is probably the closest to home it's been for us so far. He's had a test, we're just waiting on the results.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fingers crossed for you both that he's all clear of this nasty virus.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Caligulas Horse wrote: April 28th, 2020, 12:26 pm For anyone who has been struggling with it all, I would strongly recommend turning off news notifications on your phone, try to unplug from the wider world and tune back in every now and then when you're up for it.

I know this advice has been shared a lot but it's worth repeating. I'm still working (In a hospital but not front line), the work itself is fine and I'm glad to have a bit of normal routine but I realised my days were taking a serious decline whenever I got a notification with the latest death stats or whatever. You need to get that information when you're ready for it, not thrown at you in the middle of a huge pile of work or whatever it is you're trying to focus on.

I reckon that one small change has made a big difference for me.

Also just wanted to say it's great reading through this thread and seeing everybody here supporting each other.
This is a great post.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Love the title of this thread, but in all seriousness, please take care of yourselves! Every time we think the virus is gone, it comes back with a vengeance!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, the almost far too predictable flare ups have been a little concerning. My sister is getting married (again...) next Friday, but it's been on and off more times than a thing that's been on and off several times already. We're still not 100% sure if it's allowed to go ahead or not now!
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 1st, 2020, 8:18 pm Yeah, the almost far too predictable flare ups have been a little concerning. My sister is getting married (again...) next Friday, but it's been on and off more times than a thing that's been on and off several times already. We're still not 100% sure if it's allowed to go ahead or not now!
I've missed a few weddings since lock down, one of which ended up being a live Facebook wedding at that chapel in Las Vegas where a guy dressed like Elvis sings and dances while performing the ceremony. It has a constant live feed and you can watch anybody and everybody going through that chapel getting married.
We didn't have the exact time the wedding started, so we had to watch 4 or 5 pair of strangers get married before our friends were there. It started off kind of funny but quickly became quite grim. The same Elvis doing the same jokes during 10 minute weddings over and over, all day every day.
Rough job.