Gotham Knights & Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Nyx-Fontana

Gotham Knights & Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Post by Nyx-Fontana »

Ello Guys,

In terms of DC Comics games two new titles have been announced, Gotham Knights (2021) and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. Their respective trailers are here

Gotham Knights ~ Debut Trailer & Gameplay walkthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhVf_3TeTQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJjRRErYdO4

Suicide Squad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWfkRMgCaec

Just curious which of these titles are you more excited for, and what are you hoping each one offers? For me im really excited at the concept of a Suicide Squad game but im worried on how traversal is going to play a part in the gameplay since someone like Harley Quinn can't leap buildings or glide around. Im hoping Suicide Squad offers some sort of two player co-op or online co-op as well.
Angry_Kurt

Re: Gotham Knights & Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I thought both looked great, I’m more pumped for Gotham Knights though.

It looked like Harley had a grappling hook in the trailer and afterwards it was confirmed that it will have co-op for up to 4 players. Shame it’s not out till 2022, but unless something else major comes before then, I expect it will be the game that makes me jump on the next gen train.

I thought Gotham Knights looked better based on that gameplay was shown, with a return to the Arkham style combat I’ve been craving for years, I can only think of Spider-Man that was similar. It’s my favourite melee combat system in a game. I was also pleased to see that it can be played solo as I was concerned they would both be multiplayer focused.
RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

They both seem multiplayer / co-op focused. Judging by the very short and very early videos, anyway. Kind of hope that's not the case. Also - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Batman isn't actually dead. Sorry to spoil that twist for anyone.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

RinseWashRepeat wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 7:35 pm Batman isn't actually dead. Sorry to spoil that twist for anyone.
Only if you order the ultimate edition no doubt.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'll admit I'm a little disappointed it's not a straight up Arkham game which pits Batman against the Court Of The Owls, as per the rumours. However, I'm still interested.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I didn't love the look of Suicide Squad (or the voice actors), even though it was just a CGI-trailer thing. But, even what they showed looked like the Squad getting the Rage 2 treatment. I think the guy talking to Will Arnent said something about "Harley swinging in" and I was like, when is Harley known for swinging in? It's a dumb little thing but the whole thing had me not sold.

But I thought Gotham Knights looks real nice. If they can keep it smooth and deliver, I'm excited. Doing those team takedowns in Arkham Knight is so cool, that good be a whole bunch of fun if it makes it into a multiplayer setting.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

With it being an open world game I assume they have given Harley a grappling hook to be able to swing around everywhere, I get what you mean in terms of it being odd for her character, but I suppose it's something they have to do, otherwise she would have to walk or run everywhere which wouldn't be much fun and take ages to get anywhere.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's amazing really how big HQ has become considering she didn't even exist until the 90s animated series. I can't think of another Batman character that's had the same impact, coming so late to the party. Maybe Damian Wayne, but even he's not as recognisable to casual viewers/fans.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Yeah, I remember reading that Dini and Timm were a bit bummed by the money element of what they get for creating Harley Quinn. Something to do with her debuting on the show instead of the comics, or something. So, later, they created Roxy Rocket hoping for the same results but more royalties, ect. Didn't really pan out!

Characters like Damian, Hush and the Court of Owls are examples of newer elements sticking, but I think you're right that the "general" public wouldn't care. No one is asking for Professor Pyg in the Suicide Squad movie.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

i'm tentatively excited for these. Suicide has been given the 'shooter' label, so I'm a bit iffy as I'd rather be a Squad member who's not dependent on a ak47. Gotham Knights seems to be doing right everything Avengers was complained about as getting wrong.

Rocksteady's pedigree(and the sheer amount of dev time they've had) should result in something great.

Kind of weird we're seeing a shift where Marvel was absolute perfection and now DC has had some humble pie and is adjusting to be a serious contender in all forms of media.

Sidenote: Interesting it's taking place in Metropolis. Baby steps for a Superman game?

Sidenote 2: I am a bit disappointed absolutely no one seems to be interested in using the Arkham Knight skin for a certain someone anywhere else
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

raisinbman wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:11 pm Sidenote: Interesting it's taking place in Metropolis. Baby steps for a Superman game?
Is it? Which one, Suicide Squad? I didn't realise that.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

raisinbman wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:11 pm i'm tentatively excited for these. Suicide has been given the 'shooter' label, so I'm a bit iffy as I'd rather be a Squad member who's not dependent on a ak47. Gotham Knights seems to be doing right everything Avengers was complained about as get

Rocksteady's pedigree(and the sheer amount of dev time they've had) should result in something great
Apologies if you are already aware but Rocksteady are only doing the SS game, not Gotham knights
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Alex79uk wrote: September 20th, 2020, 7:26 am
raisinbman wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:11 pm Sidenote: Interesting it's taking place in Metropolis. Baby steps for a Superman game?
Is it? Which one, Suicide Squad? I didn't realise that.
From what we know Suicide is taking place in Metropolis. In truth, if we are really going to kill the "Justice League" I'd imagine you'd travel beyond that, but that's what we know insofar(wikipedia):
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a genre-bending action-adventure shooter [1] video game set in an open world based on Metropolis.
Angry_Kurt wrote: September 20th, 2020, 8:38 am
raisinbman wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:11 pm i'm tentatively excited for these. Suicide has been given the 'shooter' label, so I'm a bit iffy as I'd rather be a Squad member who's not dependent on a ak47. Gotham Knights seems to be doing right everything Avengers was complained about as get

Rocksteady's pedigree(and the sheer amount of dev time they've had) should result in something great
Apologies if you are already aware but Rocksteady are only doing the SS game, not Gotham knights
I know, ty tho