Other great video game podcast suggestions?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

Other great video game podcast suggestions?

Post by HaloFandango »

Does anyone have any suggestions here for video game podcasts to listen to aside from the excellent output of Cane and Rinse, Sound of Play, The Sausage Factory and Play;Write (I have to write that bit, otherwise Leon will come after me ;) )?

Also to shout-out The Video Wizards Podcast created by Cane and Rinse's very own Michiel and Ben!
https://videowizardspodcast.com/

These are my other picks:
  • The Giant Bombcast - Geoff Gerstmann and crew are very funny and I always get a laugh out of it as they talk about what has been going on in video games.
https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/
  • Triple Click - hosted by Jason Schreier, Maddy Myers and Kirk Hamilton, they discuss a variety of topics and bring a lot of awesome knowledge and experience in the industry from a game journalist's perspective.
https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/triple-click/

Does anyone else have any suggestions, I'd be very happy to hear them. I have to have something to listen to between Cane and Rinse releases. ;)
Angry_Kurt

Re: Other great video game podcast suggestions?

Post by Angry_Kurt »

The Computer Game Show
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

The Computer Game Show is probably the most obvious recommendation. It's more chatty, jokey vibe with much of the chat being around gaming news and reactions to the week in the gaming industry, plus listener feedback and questions. The actual gaming chat is sometimes a bit thin but it's very entertaining.

Watch Out For Fireballs is excellent, on the Duckfeed podcast network. It takes a similar approach to Cane and Rinse, looking at individual titles and maybe series and goes pretty deep. For larger games, they can sometimes stretch to 2-3 episodes. They're intelligent, passionate, clearly political without making that a focus of the show and sometimes very funny. Other times, the humour feels somewhat in-jokey and I don't understand what they're referencing. That might be a cultural gap or simply that I'm not au fait with...hmm, how to put it? Tropes.

I'm also really fond of Twin Humanities and its spin-offs. It began as a guided Dark Souls Let's Play type of thing and spiralled out into a couple of different areas. CoffeeJezus (CJ) has been on C&R a number of times (would be great to see him back again) and Paddy does a few entertaining bits and bobs on YouTube with Soulsy challenge runs. Lovely fellas. James Carter is also a regular if infrequent guest for their annual E3-type extravaganzas. I always enjoy those and I think the third voice gives their shows more of a balanced dynamic.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Heartily second all of those and would add:

Dev Game Club (DGC)

Two former LucasArts devs who've also worked on titles like Tomb Raider and Elder Scrolls do multi-episode in-depth analyses of classic games. Some great ones I've listened to included Deus Ex, Thief and Resident Evil. Nice chilled out discussions with a lot of insight.

Spawn On Me

Kahlief Adams' pod where he looks at news and recent games as well as giving his perspective on comings and goings in the industry. He often has guests and recently had a special episode where he stepped aside entirely to let black women commentators and influencers talk about their experiences in the fighting game industry.

The Snack Covenant (Sinclair Lore)

Good one if you like your From Software games lore and fancy a chuckle, the episodes generally start as an examination of a character or item before going off the rails into tangent and it is genuinely funny and enjoyable.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah the only videogame ones I listen to are Cane and Rinse and The Computer Game Show. I also listen to the IGN UK podcast, the guys are pretty likeable but they cover movies and TV as well as games.

Most my other listens are more comedy type stuff, Gossipmongers, Off Menu, Richard Herring etc. The Adam Buxton podcast is always entertaining, and I'll dip in to Marc Marron's WTF whenever he has a guest I'm interested in. Finally, "You're Dead To Me" is a history podcast from the BBC which is pretty good. They usually have a comedian as well as an expert on, so it's a bit like a history version of the science based "Infinite Monkey Cage" podcast.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I do enjoy that Adam Buxton pod. Always some good ramble chats to be had.

Edit: should have included the So... videogames podcast by Brad from Game Critics and his co-host Carlos. Been getting some good recs from there particularly for indie stuff. Another one that's generally pretty chilled out but they cover a lot of stuff.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

How Did This Get Played? which is sort of a gaming-focused spin off of the bad movie podcast How Did This Get Made?.

I find it tends to be a bit hit and miss (bad games generally aren't really as interesting as bad films imo), but with the right combination of subject and guest it can be very funny and interesting.

The episode about Custer's Revenge is an absolute must-listen, though not for the reasons you might expect, and the ongoing series covering Leisure Suit Larry is always entertaining - it's fair to say that those games.... haven't aged particularly well.

Second the rec for Triple Click - love what those guys do.

Retronauts is great, and I'd also shout out to Jeremy Parish's excellent Youtube channel.

Axe of the Blood God is a decent show focused only on RPGs.

Not quite podcasts, but I'd also highly recommend the youtube channels Nerrel and SNES Drunk.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If we're talking YouTube I'm a big fan of the RKG channel. It's 3 ex-IGN lads (Gav Murphy, Dan Krupa and Rory Powers) who do all sorts of videos. They started with Prepare To Try whilst still at IGN which was a really entertaining let's play of Dark Souls and they've covered most the From games now. It's very much a case of 'if you like them, you'll like the channel', so your milage may vary. I know of people who cannot stand them, but I really like it.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Angry_Kurt wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:38 am The Computer Game Show
Thanks for the suggestion Kurt! I added it to my AntennaPod podcast list! I know there are many fans on the forums here of The Computer Game Show!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Marlew wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:49 am The Computer Game Show is probably the most obvious recommendation. It's more chatty, jokey vibe with much of the chat being around gaming news and reactions to the week in the gaming industry, plus listener feedback and questions. The actual gaming chat is sometimes a bit thin but it's very entertaining.

Watch Out For Fireballs is excellent, on the Duckfeed podcast network. It takes a similar approach to Cane and Rinse, looking at individual titles and maybe series and goes pretty deep. For larger games, they can sometimes stretch to 2-3 episodes. They're intelligent, passionate, clearly political without making that a focus of the show and sometimes very funny. Other times, the humour feels somewhat in-jokey and I don't understand what they're referencing. That might be a cultural gap or simply that I'm not au fait with...hmm, how to put it? Tropes.

I'm also really fond of Twin Humanities and its spin-offs. It began as a guided Dark Souls Let's Play type of thing and spiralled out into a couple of different areas. CoffeeJezus (CJ) has been on C&R a number of times (would be great to see him back again) and Paddy does a few entertaining bits and bobs on YouTube with Soulsy challenge runs. Lovely fellas. James Carter is also a regular if infrequent guest for their annual E3-type extravaganzas. I always enjoy those and I think the third voice gives their shows more of a balanced dynamic.
Thanks for those Marlew! I added Watch Out For Fireballs and Twin Humanities, great suggestions!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Jon Cheetham wrote: August 25th, 2020, 10:25 am Heartily second all of those and would add:

Dev Game Club (DGC)

Two former LucasArts devs who've also worked on titles like Tomb Raider and Elder Scrolls do multi-episode in-depth analyses of classic games. Some great ones I've listened to included Deus Ex, Thief and Resident Evil. Nice chilled out discussions with a lot of insight.

Spawn On Me

Kahlief Adams' pod where he looks at news and recent games as well as giving his perspective on comings and goings in the industry. He often has guests and recently had a special episode where he stepped aside entirely to let black women commentators and influencers talk about their experiences in the fighting game industry.

The Snack Covenant (Sinclair Lore)

Good one if you like your From Software games lore and fancy a chuckle, the episodes generally start as an examination of a character or item before going off the rails into tangent and it is genuinely funny and enjoyable.
Awesome, thank you very much! I'm looking forward to listening to Dev Game Club, LucasArts made some cracking games back in the day! Plus, you could easily have years of podcasting content with the amount of lore in the Souls games! Nice one!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

KissMammal wrote: August 25th, 2020, 6:53 pm How Did This Get Played? which is sort of a gaming-focused spin off of the bad movie podcast How Did This Get Made?.

I find it tends to be a bit hit and miss (bad games generally aren't really as interesting as bad films imo), but with the right combination of subject and guest it can be very funny and interesting.

The episode about Custer's Revenge is an absolute must-listen, though not for the reasons you might expect, and the ongoing series covering Leisure Suit Larry is always entertaining - it's fair to say that those games.... haven't aged particularly well.

Second the rec for Triple Click - love what those guys do.

Retronauts is great, and I'd also shout out to Jeremy Parish's excellent Youtube channel.

Axe of the Blood God is a decent show focused only on RPGs.

Not quite podcasts, but I'd also highly recommend the youtube channels Nerrel and SNES Drunk.
All added, thank you indeed! Custer's Revenge heh, ha ha! Leisure Suit Larry - I've heard the stories, but never played the games. ;)
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2020, 8:54 pm If we're talking YouTube I'm a big fan of the RKG channel. It's 3 ex-IGN lads (Gav Murphy, Dan Krupa and Rory Powers) who do all sorts of videos. They started with Prepare To Try whilst still at IGN which was a really entertaining let's play of Dark Souls and they've covered most the From games now. It's very much a case of 'if you like them, you'll like the channel', so your milage may vary. I know of people who cannot stand them, but I really like it.
Subscribed my dude, thanks for the suggestion! Also, nice feedback recently on the The Gardens Between! Clearly you're a big fan of Cane and Rinse and The Computer Games Show!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Jon Cheetham wrote: August 25th, 2020, 11:03 am I do enjoy that Adam Buxton pod. Always some good ramble chats to be had.

Edit: should have included the So... videogames podcast by Brad from Game Critics and his co-host Carlos. Been getting some good recs from there particularly for indie stuff. Another one that's generally pretty chilled out but they cover a lot of stuff.
Thanks Jon, So... videogames has been added!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's not games, but the new Alan Partridge podcast is worth a listen if you're a fan. Loving it so far.