Features you want from the PS5 and Xbox Series X

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

Features you want from the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Post by HaloFandango »

PS5
  • Full disc-based backwards compatibility from PS1 to PS4 with multiple options for upscaling, scanlines, supersampling and so on. In addition, more older PS1,2 and 3 titles being released on the store for download.
  • Use my existing PS4 peripherals on PS5.
  • Full Remote Play with my PS Vita/Smartphone/TV - again a dream with the Vita, since Sony has pretty much stopped all support for it now.
  • The ability to sell my digital games on the PSN store.
Xbox Series X
  • Continue the excellent backwards compatibility work from the Xbox One era.
  • The ability to hook my Xbox 360 controllers/peripherals to my Xbox Series X (a dream perhaps, but would be cool, it is my favorite controller of all time).
  • Stream my gameplay to anywhere in the house.
  • The ability to sell my digital games on the Windows store.
  • No advertising in the dashboard or at least the ability to turn off all advertising.
  • Make the best coffee.
Both
  • Full mouse and keyboard support without the need for adapters.
  • Wired Ethernet connection to help provide the fastest connection speeds.
How about everyone here? Any particular features that you're clamoring for from your next-gen console?
dezm0nd

Re: Features you want from the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Post by dezm0nd »

I'd really it if the series x could brute force emulation for any 360 disc.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

dezm0nd wrote: August 25th, 2020, 5:56 am I'd really it if the series x could brute force emulation for any 360 disc.
That would be amazing! I checked on the American Xbox One backwards compatibility page and there are 568 Xbox 360 games and 39 OG Xbox games that are currently available on the Xbox One. Out of these games, 69 (OG Xbox and Xbox 360) are enhanced for the Xbox One X.

I think the program overall was a great PR boost for Microsoft (let's face it, they needed all the good PR they could get after the initial Xbox One launch blunder with "TV,TV,TV, Can't go online? Use an Xbox 360" stuff), whereas Sony has been a little lackluster when it comes to playing disc-based games from previous generations on the PS4.
Of course they have made many games available digitally, but having to buy them again isn't great for customers, especially when you own the originals.

It seems Sony are going to do a similar thing with the PS5 with PS4 games you own (well, around 100 so far), so definitely very interested in how that turns out.

Out of interest Darren, have you used your Xbox One for any backwards compatible stuff? How well did the games run?
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Not Darren (was Stanshall), but I can say that that the BC on the One X is often phenomenal. Stuff like Ninja Gaiden Black 2, Mirror's Edge and Red Dead Redemption look and run considerably better than they originally did. Even stuffed like Oblivion looks more like it does in your memory rather than the blurry reality. BC is a real triumph in many cases. Just a shame that they never got any of the Cave games in there!

That would be top of my wishlist for the Series X:

Full BC.
Current-gen games to get performance boost.
Better first-party games (to be blunt).

PS5:

Full BC (I doubt we'll get any more than PS4).
Current gen games to get performance boost.
Equally good first-party games.

"Switch 2":

More advanced communication and a road map of releases each year.

They did this in 2017 and it made the whole year more exciting and prompted lots of great discussions and speculation about known quantities. They've subsequently gone with the 'you get what you're given' approach which means minimal excitement, moderate frustration - for me, anyway.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

When playing certain (supported) Xbox and 360 games on Xbox One X you’re effectively getting a free 4K remaster. It’s incredible:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox ... ies-x-6400
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

For Switch 2 I would love a trophy/achievement system
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

HaloFandango wrote: August 25th, 2020, 7:03 am Of course they have made many games available digitally, but having to buy them again isn't great for customers, especially when you own the originals.

Out of interest Darren, have you used your Xbox One for any backwards compatible stuff? How well did the games run?
Just a correction in case I'm reading this wrong, but you don't have to re-buy any games you already own that are backwards compatible on Xbox One. If you own the game digitally from the X360 days it shows up in your games library ready to download, or if you have a disc from either previous console you can pop in it and run it from there.

You can buy other backwards compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games direct from the digital store front as well of course (not sure if its all or just most of them that are available for purchase).

I use backwards compatibility quite a bit, and can vouch for the brilliant Xbox One X-enhanced Red Dead Redemption having completed a full playthrough in 2018.

It really is brilliant what Microsoft has achieved with not just backwards compatibility but the genuine improvement of older games over recent years. It's great to see them continuing in the same vein with Series X as well.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I would also like all of them to have a better wishlist system and time played tracker. Both just like Steam so that you get emailed when a game on your wishlist is on sale and just a basic time played tracker for each game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

HaloFandango wrote: August 25th, 2020, 3:18 am PS5
  • Full disc-based backwards compatibility from PS1 to PS4 with multiple options for upscaling, scanlines, supersampling and so on. In addition, more older PS1,2 and 3 titles being released on the store for download.
  • Use my existing PS4 peripherals on PS5.
  • Full Remote Play with my PS Vita/Smartphone/TV - again a dream with the Vita, since Sony has pretty much stopped all support for it now.
  • The ability to sell my digital games on the PSN store.

:lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:07 am When playing certain (supported) Xbox and 360 games on Xbox One X you’re effectively getting a free 4K remaster. It’s incredible
This is genuinely the main reason I want to get an Xbox One at some point. I'm hoping the price drops drastically once the new consoles are out, just to play upscaled 360 games again.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:58 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:07 am When playing certain (supported) Xbox and 360 games on Xbox One X you’re effectively getting a free 4K remaster. It’s incredible
This is genuinely the main reason I want to get an Xbox One at some point. I'm hoping the price drops drastically once the new consoles are out, just to play upscaled 360 games again.
Do bear in mind that it's only the Xbox One X that provides this feature (not the S), and that it only works on certain supported titles: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox ... ies-x-6400
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I don't know if you saw me mention in a different thread but you can get a refurbished One X for £180 on amazon at the moment.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Regarding my Xbox One X and BC, I think its flawless. It's kind of a catch 22 though.

It's near perfect for those games which do work, but I want games on the list which aren't but they're obviously not on the list for a reason, technical maybe being one.

Therefore if they start dropping the quality of performance on the xbox one x with backwards compatibility then it doesnt come across as well
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

HaloFandango wrote: August 25th, 2020, 3:18 am PS5
The PS3 is the biggest bottleneck there, even modern PCs can't really manage software emulation of PS3 games, and the architecture is so different that I don't see hardware emulation being realistic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 25th, 2020, 1:43 pm
Do bear in mind that it's only the Xbox One X that provides this feature (not the S), and that it only works on certain supported titles: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox ... ies-x-6400
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that! To be honest, it's not so much the 4k I'm hankering after, more just to be able to play 360 games without hooking my old 360 up, and if a few of them look a bit better upscaled to 1080p or whatever on the S, then all the better. That said, if I can get a decent deal on a One X obviously I'd rather go for that.

@Kurt - yeah I did see that thanks, I probably wouldn't be looking till next year though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There’s no upscaling of resolution at all on Xbox One S, I don’t believe - however you may get some small gains on frame rate with certain titles.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

One of the few things I do know about the ps3 architecture is that it’s a total clown fiesta. A system designed to first not need a GPU, then redesigned around a custom built GPU it didn’t get, finally bolted to an off the shelf GPU that made everything harder than it needed to be.

I’m sometimes surprised any third party ever got any game to run on it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 25th, 2020, 7:38 pm There’s no upscaling of resolution at all on Xbox One S, I don’t believe - however you may get some small gains on frame rate with certain titles.
Oh really? I'd always thought that even the original Xbox One upscaled the 360 games.

Bah.

:(
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Marlew wrote: August 25th, 2020, 7:41 am Not Darren (was Stanshall), but I can say that that the BC on the One X is often phenomenal. Stuff like Ninja Gaiden Black 2, Mirror's Edge and Red Dead Redemption look and run considerably better than they originally did. Even stuffed like Oblivion looks more like it does in your memory rather than the blurry reality. BC is a real triumph in many cases. Just a shame that they never got any of the Cave games in there!

That would be top of my wishlist for the Series X:

Full BC.
Current-gen games to get performance boost.
Better first-party games (to be blunt).

PS5:

Full BC (I doubt we'll get any more than PS4).
Current gen games to get performance boost.
Equally good first-party games.

"Switch 2":

More advanced communication and a road map of releases each year.

They did this in 2017 and it made the whole year more exciting and prompted lots of great discussions and speculation about known quantities. They've subsequently gone with the 'you get what you're given' approach which means minimal excitement, moderate frustration - for me, anyway.
Switch 2 or Switch Blade ;)

I'm 100% with you on your points, I think backwards compatibility for both consoles is something both companies have to get right. These are going to be expensive machines in times where a lot of people don't have a ton of money, so the more PS4 and Xbox One games/peripherals they can support, the better.

I always thought it was a shame and a waste of good PR that the Xbox One and PS4 didn't support previous gen controllers and peripherals. Especially for the Xbox One, since the Xbox One controller isn't much different from the original Xbox 360 controller, aside from the design and impulse triggers. Of course, Microsoft and Sony make more money from just selling you new controllers and peripherals with every new machine, but it seems like such a waste to me.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:07 am When playing certain (supported) Xbox and 360 games on Xbox One X you’re effectively getting a free 4K remaster. It’s incredible:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox ... ies-x-6400
Absolutely! Digital Foundry have been doing a great job with showcasing those games. Another set of games that got a lot of love from Microsoft's engineers was the Final Fantasy 13 trilogy. At the time, the PS3 port looked much nicer than the Xbox 360 version (720p upscaled to 1080p and 720p uncompressed cutscenes (however no ability to install to the HDD, which the Xbox 360 had (or perhaps was mandatory with the game on 3 DVDs ;) ))).

This game running on the Xbox One X however, looks stunning. Digital Foundry here goes into detail on this version in this video: