Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by JaySevenZero »

Marlew wrote: September 10th, 2020, 4:15 am I think the pricing is so good that my One X has pretty much disintegrated in value. Had I sold it last week, I would have got close to £200 for it. Now I'd be lucky to get £100. I was hoping to trade it in but I'll just give it away to my nephew.
CEX are currently offering £182 (cash, £210 for voucher) for trade-in for an boxed 1TB Xbox One X, although I'd expect that price to change rapidly as more people may start to trade them in pre-release.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

JaySevenZero wrote: September 10th, 2020, 4:30 pmCEX are currently offering £182 (cash, £210 for voucher) for trade-in for an boxed 1TB Xbox One X, although I'd expect that price to change rapidly as more people may start to trade them in pre-release.
Cheers, Jay. Really appreciate the details there. I'll see what I can do this weekend and keep fingers crossed.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I’ve decided I’m going to trade mine in. Although it’s lacking a pad as I sold it before as I already had a personalised pad I used on my laptop before I bought the X, so that will knock some value off 😩
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Series S will play base Xbox One versions of 360 games as back compat, not the 4K Xbox One X enhanced versions:

https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-series- ... -confirms/
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

That should add a little more value to my One X down CeX!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Entire Xbox Series X briefing leaked:

https://www.gamesradar.com/entire-xbox- ... SGC15sfsJU
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Marlew wrote: September 10th, 2020, 6:57 pm
JaySevenZero wrote: September 10th, 2020, 4:30 pmCEX are currently offering £182 (cash, £210 for voucher) for trade-in for an boxed 1TB Xbox One X, although I'd expect that price to change rapidly as more people may start to trade them in pre-release.
Cheers, Jay. Really appreciate the details there. I'll see what I can do this weekend and keep fingers crossed.
Yep, flogged it for £182. Result. Cheers!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 12th, 2020, 9:45 am Series S will play base Xbox One versions of 360 games as back compat, not the 4K Xbox One X enhanced versions:

https://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-series- ... -confirms/
They'll still look better than the 360 though won't they? I'm quite looking forward to going through the Gears series and play Fable 1 and 2 again.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As discussed previously, 360 games on Xbox One S do not look any different or better than they did on 360 in terms of pixel count/resolution or graphical effects, however the increased CPU/GPU power can improve frame rates in some cases.

Perhaps the Series S will do some sort of hardware upscaling to 1080p or 1440p though..?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It is confusing though, because the article says this:
“Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”
...which definitely suggests they'll look and run better than they would have on a 360?

Hang on - they're not on about 360 games there are they? Is that referring to Xbox One games?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It totally does, you’re absolutely right!

I probably should have read that...
😆
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Series X pre orders go live at 8am next week! Kinda excited.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I genuinely haven't been so excited for a console launch before. I think its because this is the only time, other than the Nintendo DS, that I may be able to pick one up close to launch. I'm going Series S with the All Access deal, and can't wait to get stuck in to Gamepass and go back to some old classics I've been wanting to play again for ages.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’ve been on the fence forever about next gen, but I woke up this morning and thought I don’t need to wait for the Sony show today. All Access has already swung it. First time Xboxer, first time no PlayStation on launch day. All assuming I can preorder a Series X next week!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I'm not pre ordering a PS5, I'm going Series X, but I'm actually more worried that I might not be able to get one compared to if I was going PS5.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Randomly I was looking back over past Amazon purchases and noticed I was buying 360 games well before I was buying PS3 games! My memory is basically dead at this point, I would have sworn on my life I got the PS3 before the 360... It's not even close, it's like a years difference. :lol:
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I'll be looking to pre-order a Series X, and with Microsoft clearly publishing the sites it is available from and a defined kick-off time, it should hopefully be less of a shitshow than the PS5 debacle of the last 24 hours!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... sday-in-uk

Fingers crossed!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Well this f%$king huge - Microsoft buys Bethesda and all its studios:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... ore-report
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Microsoft Acquires Bethesda, The Studio Behind Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Doom, And More

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/09/21 ... m-and-more

This is huge. I didn't realize Bethesda was even for sale, but I suppose it's the ol 'everyone has a price.' When pundits talk about who M$ is acquiring next, they're never brought up. Wow, this has me thinking...

Of course M$ isn't about exclusives anymore, but wow.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

7.5 billion? That's more than Disney paid for Star Wars.