The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Angry_Kurt

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Marlew wrote: September 7th, 2020, 8:03 pm Surely they're just going to sell them separately after that date, or something more exciting? They're not going to leave money on the table.

I have to be honest, I don't personally give a shit, in any case. I'll be buying it on the 17th off the Japanese eShop. Nintendo can do what they they like.
How much cheaper was the Japanese eshop in comparison to the UK?
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

More expensive in almost every case, but it's about the exclusives and earlier releases, really.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Marlew wrote: September 8th, 2020, 12:33 pm Play Asia is legit. I never really buy from any other 'foreign' eShops now besides Japan, the US one almost never has any alternate early releases like back in the early days. Japan quite often has stuff which comes out months before the EU eShop, if it ever appears.

My main account is set to South Africa because it's probably 10-25% cheaper than the UK eShop for almost everything. I've saved several hundred pounds over the years. A few people scolded me for this but I'm not arsed.
Thank you! I've bought from Play Asia before but didn't realise they sold eShop credit. Have just topped up my US account and picked up Ni No Kuni for $14.99.

I have an unopened PS3 special edition of that game that I never got round to playing and still own, despite the fact I no longer have a PS3 to play it on. Have kept an eye on the price of the Switch version for ages but in the UK it never seems to drop much at all in price, so for the equivalent of about £12 it seemed worth making a US eShop account for!
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Something new! It's not a 1st party title, and I suspect it probably won't be to everyone's tastes, but I'm personally super excited for it. I've got over 300 hours on the Switch version of the first Hyrule Warriors, and I still haven't remotely finished everything yet. If this has even a fraction of that amount of content, it will be awesome.

Also, if they're going to keep announcing games ~2 months out, maybe that means they're still sitting on something big for the holiday season.
Sinclair Gregstrum

JadePhoenix wrote: September 8th, 2020, 3:22 pm Something new! It's not a 1st party title, and I suspect it probably won't be to everyone's tastes, but I'm personally super excited for it. I've got over 300 hours on the Switch version of the first Hyrule Warriors, and I still haven't remotely finished everything yet. If this has even a fraction of that amount of content, it will be awesome.

Also, if they're going to keep announcing games ~2 months out, maybe that means they're still sitting on something big for the holiday season.
Not a game for me but I know a lot of people like yourself really love the first one, so I'm sure it'll do well.

I'd be massively surprised if anything else of significance was announced now for 2020. Between this, Pikmin 3, and Super Mario 3D All-Stars, I reckon that's your lot. Would love to be proved wrong of course!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Spoiler: it ends with Link being put in a 100 year coma...

EDIT: Just watched the trailer, wow this looks cool!

I really need to finish Breath Of The Wild. 80 hours in, one divine beast done, and I've not touched it in 12 months!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

This is pretty surprising. I enjoyed the first Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, but I didn't feel the desire to rebuy it on Switch. But I'm up for a sequel. A lot of the most interesting bits of the BotW story were the flashbacks too, so it's cool to see them dig deeper in to that.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Think this prequel to BOTW makes a ton of sense actually. Had hoped the upcoming follow up might cover it, but I did wonder how it'd fit in with Zelda gameplay, as Zelda tends to be a game built more on tighter combat rather than huge battles. I'd love to see an open world Hyrule brimming with life and hundreds of Guardians, but maybe little arena pockets of it is overflowing with warring enemies is the better way to go.

My kids love the official art book so I've spent MANY hours reading it too them. And it's staggering how much lore, richness and thought went into that world. If they can take some of that and inject it into the game, I reckon it could be great.

Admittedly I've never played a Warriors game before, but the art style and story will probably carry me through even if the combat starts to wear thin.

Excited for this one! Especially as someone with only a Switch and who already has Pikmin 3, Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World and Mario 64.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The original Hyrule Warriors is probably the best introduction to the Warriors games series you can find.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

New Nintendo Partner Mini Direct just dropped.

New Monster Hunter out next March, Monster Hunter Stories 2 out next summer, some shovelware stuff, and a handful of indies. The most recent Ori game out later today.

No Mass Effect :( (obviously!!)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hades also out today.

PALICO AMIIBO is the headline for me.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Balan Wonderland has serious NiGHTS Into Dreams vibes and I'm all about it! Yuji Naka you son of a b%$ch getting this old Saturn fanboy right in the feels :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm interested in Monster Hunter. Didn't get on with the demo of the Switch one before, but liked the demo of World on the PS4. Hoping this strikes a balance between the two. Ori looks nice, but still not played the first. Hades looks very much like it fits in with the devs other work, none of which I've ever been mad about (almost Bastion and Transistor are both lovely to look at and have great soundtracks).

I could have sworn Sniper Elite 4 was already out, that's really not the sort of game I want to play on Switch. Could be tempted by PGA if I can find it cheap one day, and I've always been interested in The Long Dark.

Nothing else really piqued my interest.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

PGA, what’s that? The golf game?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah! I used to love those games back on the Megadrive.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I picked up Mario 3D All Stars on the Japanese eShop because I'm out tomorrow night, and it's exactly as you'd expect. Great stuff. 64 and Galaxy look the best to me for a spit and polish. Sunshine is a little bit sharp, oddly enough. It looks better to me with the GC softness and I'm not very familiar with that version, so it's not that. Anyway, delighted with this collection.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I bought ori and the will of wisps on switch, but my game has crashed 5 times now.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/tech/nin ... index.html

Not too surprising in a post-Switch world but still, quite the run! I remember buying my sister a DS with Nintendogs and that was 8 years ago?? The dang thing lasted forever!

I can't imagine they're going to do anything like the Gameboy/DS again, in terms of having a second console, not with the Switch portability and the Switch-lite existing. But, who knows? Nintendo Does what no one even thinks about doing sometimes!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: September 17th, 2020, 8:50 pm Yeah! I used to love those games back on the Megadrive.
Nice, I had no idea this was coming out on Switch. I'll definitely pick this up as I love a good golf game but haven't played a portable one since Tiger Woods on PSP. I'll wait for a price drop though as it's currently £50
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: September 17th, 2020, 8:50 pm Yeah! I used to love those games back on the Megadrive.
Nice, I had no idea this was coming out on Switch. I'll definitely pick this up as I love a good golf game but haven't played a portable one since Tiger Woods on PSP. I'll wait for a price drop though as it's currently £50