The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote: September 17th, 2020, 8:50 pm Yeah! I used to love those games back on the Megadrive.
Just a heads-up that this shares no DNA with the old PGA Tour games - it’s a totally different golf game that has secured the PGA license - by all accounts it’s not bad though.

The old PGA games were what became Tiger Woods and then eventually Augusta Masters/Rory McIlroy before EA finally threw the club in.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Galaxy on Switch is stunning. You could tell me this was a 2020 game and I’d believe you.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Loving revisiting Mario 64, but can totally tell that it's almost purely nostalgia thats getting me through. Hard as it is to admit for such a classic game, but I can't imagine anyone who wasn't there at the time getting much out of it - the simplistic gameplay, sparse level design, stubborn camera and frustrating turning circle (which often results in you accidentally falling off platforms) would be major issues if you weren't fully anticipating them.

It could be hard to appreciate how controlling Mario in 3 dimensions was so mindblowing at the time that simply doing that (now) basic thing made it a must have game. I always kinda thought overcoming the fiddly controls and getting Mario over basic hurdles kind of was the fun part of the game - kind of like driving an R/C car or flying drone in the real world, if that makes any sense?

I was in two minds about buying this package as I was really hoping that they'd be more comprehensive remakes rather than just uprezzed versions, especially given the price. In particular I'm kind of dreading Sunshine - it's the one Mario game I never really played much of and I've heard it's hella frustrating/borderline broken in places...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

At the very least, this version of 64 is far superior to the DS version.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

And indeed the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console versions.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Who on here bought the 3D All Stars collection and is enjoying it? All I've seen on Facebook groups is people moaning about the controls in Mario 64, generally saying Sunshine is a mess and Galaxy is hard in handheld with the touchscreen stuff. I'm sure there are plenty of people really pleased with the purchase, but how are you finding it? Worth the cash? If I'd had the money I'd have got it day one, but having seen some of the complaining about it I'm in two minds now. I do think it's a shame they didn't at least adapt Galaxy so it was entirely playable with a traditional game pad for people who wanted to play it like that. The touchscreen half measure does seem a bit fiddly from videos I've seen. I'll probably still get it after Christmas, but all the negativity has put a bit of a dampener on it for me.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I’m adoring it personally. Worth it for 64 and galaxy alone, both of which look amazing, and still play fantastic. Sunshine is definitely the weak link in the package, but then I didn’t like sunshine back in the day anyway.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

It's absolutely brilliant, Alex. It's nothing more than than the three games with some spit and polish, but I've enjoyed it enormously.

Always worth a reminder that many people (especially on Facebook) are complete twats.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Speaking as a big Mario game fan, and very much 'a part of the problem' (i.e. I preorded on the eShop for £49.99), I don't think there's much doubt that Nintendo could have done a better job with this, even if it was just a few more basics such as:
  • 16:9 and 60fps for Super Mario 64
    60fps (and no dubious emulation artefacts) for Super Mario Sunshine
    A screen resizer/rescaler for Super Mario 64
    Scanline options for all three titles
    Multiple save states and rewind options, as per the NSO service
    Proper museum and archive features
    Plus of course Super Mario Galaxy 2!
However, it's still the best official way to play Super Mario 64 (with both Wii and Wii U VC having some significant issues) outside of original NTSC N64 hardware, and Sunshine loses a lot of blur and murkiness compared to the GC original (that I only played a few years ago for the podcast).

Galaxy remains one of my favourite games of all time and looks beautiful to me at 1080p, although the extra fidelity and clarity do show up a few minor issues. Also, even though I had no problem with the original Wii remote and nunchuk setup, it is good to find that it plays fine with trad controls.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I’ve never played 64 or Sunshine before, but I’m afraid I’m one of the people not getting on with 64s controls. I found them quite frustrating, for example, that first bomb omb boss on top of the mountain. I spent ages going behind his back and pressing the grab button and he wouldn’t grab him, I thought I was pressing the wrong button or doing something wrong, but then out of nowhere he did grab him despite me not doing anything differently. When I threw him he stayed on the platform by one pixel so I had to try again and spent ages again trying to do it. It was really frustrating. Then there is the camera which I’ve followed the advice of not controlling and letting the game decide where it needs to be which is fine but has still led to some missed jumps due to the angle.

I’ve moved onto Sunshine now which I’m enjoying more. Just my opinion though and happy for anyone that is enjoying 64.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I do understand people coming to 64 new not getting on with it, but as someone who was there at the time (PAL anyway), I can always enjoy going back to it, quirks and all.

Sunshine remains by some distance my least favourite Mario game however; A frustrating, padded, rush job with nowhere near 'Nintendo quality' stage, mission or enemy design (imo).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

As someone who'd only played SM64 sporadically in the past, I actually had a lot of fun with it, despite constantly fighting with the camera. I was honestly surprised by how easy it felt, I had very little difficulty getting 70 stars to clear it, I suspect many of the last 50 would prove more challenging, but I don't really have any great desire to go find them.

I have played Sunshine quite a few times, however, and while I still love it, I was really surprised by just how hard it is. The camera isn't as bad as 64's, but it's still a pain, and the movement seems to have the opposite problem as 64, Mario is super jerky and has a really hard time staying on short platforms, which is not something I remember from the Gamecube version. Beyond that, some of the platforming sections are just genuinely really hard, and unlike 64, you can't just skip the hard Shines, because the 50 you need to beat the game are fixed, which is probably not an ideal design. I haven't really had any of the collision issues or other bugs people complain about, the game is just hard.

I know I played through Galaxy on the Wii, but I honestly don't remember very much about it, and I've only scratched the surface of it on the collection, I probably won't go to much deeper until I finish Sunshine, but it definitely looks great in 1080p, and controls nicely with the pro controller, though the motion aspect takes some getting used to.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well I just watched an entire hours presentation from TGS on the new Hyrule Warriors game despite it being entirely in Japanese cause that’s how I roll.

It looks great. But then, I love the Warriors games.

I used the google translate live camera app to get the gist of the text stuff they did put up, so I at least know what all the preorder bonuses are... there’s also a silly bonus weapon you unlock if there’s a Breath of the Wild save on your switch already.

They revealed the first ‘new’ character as well, which i won’t spoil cause there’s likely going to be an English version of the video clips they showed at *some* point.

Here it is in Japanese if you don’t want to wait for that...

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Mario 35 out today, anyone tried it? Seems quite fun, and I'm definitely better at it than Tetris 99 :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Had a couple of goes - 6th and 4th. Better than expected.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Still not sure what I’m doing, or the difference between the two events. Seems fun all the same.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Mario 64 is definitely a weird one.

On the one hand, the camera is a nightmare - the way it will get stuck on walls and pan and swing around when you are trying to walk across a narrow platform is obnoxious, and the way Mario often refuses to turn sharply, causing you to fall off platforms is enraging.

It's a real shame that Nintendo didn't see fit to fix these two issues at least.

But on the other hand, revisiting it now its interesting how despite playing very differently from the 2d Mario games it still manages to capture that 'walking a tightrope' feel that made them so addictive, something that is (imo) almost entirely lacking in every Mario game since.

I find that modern Mario games feel very neutered in a lot of ways, throwing power ups at the player constantly to the point that they don't feel special and only really becoming properly challenging in the very late-game stages.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 1st, 2020, 1:18 pm Had a couple of goes - 6th and 4th. Better than expected.
Ha, way better than me! I've only had a few goes, but not broken the top 10 yet!

(Yes, I was really terrible at Tetris 99 :lol:)
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Welp, if you doubted the microsoft/nintendo relationship previously, the handshake just got a bit more firm