The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by Simonsloth »

It’s a fantastic month irrespective of whether you are upgrading or not. This is the first month in a while I haven’t owned the games and have been interested in all of them!

Incredibly excited for my ps5 now. Gutted I didn’t preorder the headphones.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I can’t remember what it was but I’m sure that when the PS4 launched it launched with a PS4 game, I think it was an indie game and Rocket league maybe. If there wasn’t a PS5 game included I think a lot of people would have lambasted Somy for it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The mighty Resogun.

Rocket League wasn’t released until summer of 2015.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

These are some great PS4 games but I’ve done them both to death already. And that’s almost unique in the history of PS+ so I’m not complaining! That said, I’m not planning on getting PS5, my subscription ends in about a month and with the PS+ Collection not working on PS4 (also no complaints) it might be time for me to duck out. I’ve had great value out of PS+ but I don’t want to pay for games i might never play.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote: October 28th, 2020, 4:01 pm Sony making a statement? PS5 games on Plus at launch...

November Plus games are:

Bugsnax (PS5)
Hollow Knight and the second Shadow of Mordor game (PS4)
The statement being ‘the Microsoft subscription service gives their customers every first party game, we’ll give them one’ ?

Heh.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So my left stick has started drifting upwards, is this fixable or will I need a new pad?.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Flabyo wrote: October 29th, 2020, 7:48 am
Alex79uk wrote: October 28th, 2020, 4:01 pm Sony making a statement? PS5 games on Plus at launch...

November Plus games are:

Bugsnax (PS5)
The statement being ‘the Microsoft subscription service gives their customers every first party game, we’ll give them one’ ?

Heh.
I know what you are getting at but there is a difference. Bugsnax is 3rd party, Gamepass is far more expensive and the games themselves are often time limited on the service as opposed to being downloadable/playable indefinitely once you’ve added them to your download library. I know that Microsoft will almost certainly offer their first party games permanently and would be nice for Sony to do this but unlikely. The PS plus collection is a halfway measure for the price of a ps plus subscription so not an empty gesture.

I’m a big fan of gamepass but ps plus is more akin to gold subscription. Compared to games with gold I’d say in general Ps plus Is superior by some margin. So it’s a decent month and given the unknown quantity that is destruction all stars confirmed for next year it’s at least a start/move in the right direction for the diminishing returns that plus was tending to offer.

I subscribe to both and I think the consumer is winning here but at what cost for the developers etc.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

November Plus games are:

Bugsnax (PS5)
don't forget destruction allstars. I imagine a majority of people will PSPlus that game rather than drop 70 US
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

raisinbman wrote: October 30th, 2020, 12:10 am

November Plus games are:

Bugsnax (PS5)
don't forget destruction allstars. I imagine a majority of people will PSPlus that game rather than drop 70 US
I believe that's been delayed till February
chase210

Post by chase210 »

All my games and accessories have shipped! Can't wait to spend a week staring at them till the console arrives.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

chase210 wrote: November 11th, 2020, 7:14 pm All my games and accessories have shipped! Can't wait to spend a week staring at them till the console arrives.
Haha I’m the same! Will spend it reading the demons souls manual (if it has one) and admiring the probably pointless camera and media remote I’ve ordered. I couldn’t get the headset or the charging dock so in my excitement ordered these. I don’t know what purpose they will serve except to annoy my wife. (I love her don’t worry, we just have a running joke about boxes under the tv and remote controls).

I foolishly ordered my extra controller click and collect to Game so I have to queue up next Thursday to get that whilst my console is delivered by amazon.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

A World Ends With You sequel was just announced for PS4 and Switch, coming out Summer 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bUU_58 ... e=emb_logo
chase210

Post by chase210 »

So how are people liking the PS5?
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

chase210 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:23 pm So how are people liking the PS5?
A quick bullet point summary of my first few days with it:

- It's huge and a bit vulgar to look at as a thing. Personal taste obviously, but I'm glad its hidden in a TV cabinet with doors when it's not in use (obviously have it wide open when playing!).

- It may be huge, but that means they figured out the thermodynamics to the point of it being whisper quiet, which I love. A massive improvement over my PS4 Pro, which was a ridiculous at times!

- The UI is style over substance at the moment and feels half-baked. It has some really cool features and looks lovely, but is also missing obvious functions that were present on PS4, and it's got more navigations than you can shake a stick at!

- The Dual Sense is the best Playstation controller ever. Bigger, weightier (I've always found them a bit dinky and flimsy!), and the haptics really are effective when used to their fullest extent. Whether they actually are in the majority of games I very much doubt, but hopefully at least in big first party titles we're going to see some really fun implementation.

- It's fast. Very very fast. The Xbox Series X and S have super fast SSDs and are fantastic, but the PS5s drive is silly quick. If the Xbox drives are Ferraris, the PS5s drive is an F1 car! It's the one spec where PS5 really has Xbox beat, although there is a downside...

- Storage is going to be an issue, for a while at least. There's only 650gb of actual usable space, with the problem compounded by the fact that unlike Xbox you can't store PS5 games on an external drive and transfer them over to the SSD to play. That's a big miss, as it's much quicker and more convenient doing that than having to go through the hassle of deleting and downloading/re-downloading stuff every time. There is also no support for any additional internal storage at the moment, and when that arrives it will be expensive as you have to match the spec of the existing PS5 drive. Microsoft's proprietary expansion solution isn't ideal either, but it is at least available now, you can utilise a standard external drive for next gen game storage now, and the system has nearly 200gb of extra internal storage as standard.

A mixed bag at launch then, but there's no doubt it's going to mature into a great system over time. The games will probably be alright as well.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 24th, 2020, 11:26 am
- The Dual Sense is the best Playstation controller ever. Bigger, weightier (I've always found them a bit dinky and flimsy!), and the haptics really are effective when used to their fullest extent. Whether they actually are in the majority of games I very much doubt, but hopefully at least in big first party titles we're going to see some really fun implementation.
I really, really like the shape of the Dualshock controllers. The PS5 controller looks more like the Switch pro controller or the Xbox controller. I'm worried it's going to be too bulky.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I really like the DualSense a lot, but the DS4 still fits my hands more comfortably.
It's only the thickness at the top of the grips that's different in the hand really, and the massively improved haptic feedback probably compensates.

You can still just use DS4 for all PS4 games of course.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Anyone here have experience with the PS4's remote play? I've been fiddling around with it on my work phone - my daily driver is a BlackBerry Key2, which has a smaller screen - and while it *works*, I find it's too low-res and has too much input lag to competently handle big AAA HD games.

Has anyone had success with using remote play for smaller scale games? Has the lag completely killed its useability, or are there specific use cases you would recommend using it for? I like having handhelds to chill with on the couch when I'm tired, so being able to chip away at the (massive) PS4 backlog in handheld would be a treat.

Thanks!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’ve used it a lot on my phone and laptop with excellent results. I used a wired connection to my PS4 then a DualShock with Bluetooth adapter for laptop or connected directly to my phone.

I played parts of resident evil 2, yakuza and days gone without issue.

I played from hotels in other countries and via my phone’s 4G connection. It’s brilliant.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Simonsloth wrote: January 13th, 2021, 10:41 pm I’ve used it a lot on my phone and laptop with excellent results. I used a wired connection to my PS4 then a DualShock with Bluetooth adapter for laptop or connected directly to my phone.

I played parts of resident evil 2, yakuza and days gone without issue.

I played from hotels in other countries and via my phone’s 4G connection. It’s brilliant.
Really? In another country, with no lag? Cuz I've tried playing it on my couch, basically in front of my PS4 (and router), and it's definitely *functional*, but it has noticeable lag and drops connection every few minutes. Did you encounter similar issues, or more importantly, remedies for these issues?

PS4 Pro wired connection, phone wireless, PS4 controller Bluetooth (but connected to phone Bluetooth, no adapter). My phone mount also came with a cable, but it doesn't seem to connect with that.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I turned off direct connection to my PS4 and did it over wi-fi. My PS4 worked as an inferior hotspot when I directly connected.

It all depends on the connection speed. I have fibre broadband with a good upload/download speed. My 4G mobile network speed is super quick so playing when out and about is pretty seamless.

I wouldn’t play something like dark souls or destiny without being a victim to a bit of lag which could be fatal but I could give it a good go.