Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
MauricioMM

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by MauricioMM »

As I said in other corners of the internet, I'm glad about the delay mainly because it'll give me more time to both save money for my in-the-nearish-future computer upgrade and to wait for new interesting PC hardware (like new graphics cards and processors) to be released in the meantime :)
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

The magnitude of Night City is borderline scary :o ...I love it!
---
By the way, they released yesterday the minimun and recommended system requirements for the PC version of the game (for 1080p):

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

New Night City Wire went up yesterday showcasing a console version of the game for the first time.

You see it running on Xbox One X and Xbox Series X, although it's not the actual 'next gen' version on Series X which apparently won't be out until next year, rather just the Xbox One version boosted through back compat.

Great to see, but it is slightly worrying that they chose Xbox One X as the current/last gen system to showcase the game on, given that it is the most powerful machine in that class by a country mile. How is it going to stack up on the OG Xbox One/One S, PS4 and PS4 Pro? I don't think we'll know until release in December, but I'm predicting it will be perfectly playable but with inconsistent performance!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I really don't envisage the game running adequately* on base Xbox One or PS4.

*Dependent on the tolerances and expectations of individuals, of course
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm I really don't envisage the game running adequately* on base Xbox One or PS4.

*Dependent on the tolerances and expectations of individuals, of course
Yeah I think you're right in terms of folks like you and I, and what we'd define as adequate. But then I also think/guess/hope that for the majority of the more mainstream audience the game won't run so poorly that it's a huge issue. I'll be playing on Series X, but it would be such a shame for everyone involved if it arrived as a complete mess on the base systems.

I'm gonna say 900p with a 30fps target and some noticeable chugging on base Xbox One and the same at 1080p with a wobbly 30fps on base PS4. It's going to be an interesting Digital Foundry video for sure!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That it is!
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 18th, 2020, 3:19 pmI'm gonna say 900p with a 30fps target and some noticeable chugging on base Xbox One and the same at 1080p with a wobbly 30fps on base PS4. It's going to be an interesting Digital Foundry video for sure!
Unfortunately for us Series S owners that also means 900p (until the next-gen update arrives in 2021).

However a quick perusal of last night's reveal tells me I'm better off waiting for a few months either way. It does not look like a game that will be released three weeks from now.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, I am totally content to wait for the 'full fat' / 'finished' version to become available.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I watched the Nightcity wire thing they did yesterday comparing the One X and Series X version and could tell that the One X version was ever so slightly choppy when they were driving around to begin with, so I'm not overly optimistic for the base Xbox One version
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

Not that I wasn’t sold already on the game but, heck, in general terms it keeps looking better and better to my eyes.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I'm not buying a game that has a 57 gb patch on day one, that is just ridonkulous.

I'll do what I did with Witcher 3 and get the eventual GOTY edition. I can wait, I've got plenty of other stuff to play.
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Preload completed.

Genuinely not been this excited for a game release since Half-Life 2.

Over 8 years of waiting is finally over...

Please be good, please be good, please be good! :roll:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Reviews so far seem to suggest it’s good, but not great, and that it has a lot of bugs right now.

My decision to wait until the XSX version in the new year seems sound, but it’s going to be tough waiting that long, heh.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I read the reviews and thought it sounded excellent except for the bugs. One I liked most is how short the main campaign is relative to other games in the genre. The main thing that has put me off ever starting The Witcher 3 is how long it is, it just seemed really intimidating to me as it would take me 3-4 months of playing nothing but that game for to to get to the end of it, whereas Cyberpunk sounds like the main campaign is a much more manageable 20 hours and then I always have the option to explore the side stuff whenever I'm in the mood. I think the setting is much more appealing to me as well.

I just hope that they can get as many bugs ironed as possible before Christmas as I was planning now to make it my Christmas game, I'll wait to hear what Xbox Series X performance is like first though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My understanding is that there’s a full xsx optimisation patch due, but that won’t be this year.

Video from people playing it today suggests if you’re still on the base PS4 or XBO (rather than the pro or X) then... best to wait.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I’m not so angry about the last-gen version problems as I would have been outside of a global pandemic, but it still shows poor form on CDPR’s part. A staggered release on PC first, consoles later wouldn’t have been ideal, but it would at least have been a compromise between generating some necessary Christmas income and not ripping off base PS4 and XBox gamers. And while we’re all familiar with the marketing tricks, the withholding of review copies, the adverts with pre-rendered footage, the vast majority of mainstream gamers will have been totally clueless.

As it is I’ve sent back my boxed copy for a refund and will re-buy once the inevitable patches have taken hold. Ironically the pandemic is the reason I pre-ordered on a whim anyway, knowing I’d want something new and shiny to play over Christmas.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sony pull the game from the online store, begin issuing refunds. Never seen Sony do anything like this before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55359568
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Alex79uk wrote: December 18th, 2020, 10:34 am Sony pull the game from the online store, begin issuing refunds. Never seen Sony do anything like this before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55359568
We've seen WB pull their own game, but yes this is a first. And a colossal one at that. I'd imagine them saying they abused console manufacturer's trust thru cert didn't do them any favors...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My gut here is that Sony pulling it is a compromise they reached with CDPR after the latter said people should ask Sony for refunds.

Sony’s policy is they don’t do refunds for janky games, only ones that break the console. So this is the only way in which what CDPR told people to do can actually work without a policy change.

Going to be a long road back for them on this one.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

It read as a punitive measure, initially, but who knows?

The reality is that even discounting the bugs, you're left with well-worn, derivative gameplay within a very shallow open world. There's more interactivity in Skyrim.

Fair play if you can look past that or if you were looking forward to something so conservative, but from a pure gameplay perspective, this falls a long way short of CDPR's own hype.

Also, I'm not interested in cyberpunk fiction, so I'm hardly the target audience for the writing, but I find the dialogue, character designs and voice acting really embarrassing. There's no patching that shit.