Demon's Souls

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Demon's Souls

Post by Simonsloth »

If it’s neutral this morning that’s great. I might try and check later.

Thanks! I say newborn but she’s actually 5 months old. Unlike my son who didn’t ever touch my “things” I have already found her trying to eat my Wii-mote straps and PS3 analog sticks. The rubbery sticks are great teethers!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

No, it’s not correct, it’s probably still black.

Ah, I was wondering at the timing of your holiday with a newborn baby, makes sense now :)

Have you found the ‘shortcut’ in 2.2? I say shortcut, but sometimes it’s more trouble than it’s worth...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: December 16th, 2018, 11:39 am No, it’s not correct, it’s probably still black.

Ah, I was wondering at the timing of your holiday with a newborn baby, makes sense now :)

Have you found the ‘shortcut’ in 2.2? I say shortcut, but sometimes it’s more trouble than it’s worth...
Yes this is where I lost a load of souls! I’ve mastered it now. Toying with the idea of using a stone of ephemeral eyes before the boss to give myself more of a chance. I suspect that I should be saving those for bosses which are more challenging:
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I think Flamelurker, in combination with what a pain in the nads it is to get back to him, is amongst the most challenging bosses in the game, especially for a squishy magic user, so don't worry there. There are harder, but easier to access, guys ahead.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

A bit late but the Demons Souls preservation society The Archstones are running an event to (probably) close the door on Demons Souls given the remake is incoming.

I’ve posted the information below and am (probably) going to give it a go if only to witness a glimpse of what I missed. You can play on PC also.

https://thearchstones.com/

—-/////——

Hello Slayers!

Tomorrow is the start of Return to Boletaria and will mark the games 11th year anniversary (on October 6th) release in NA.

The event will run from October 4th to the 18th. Starting with pure white✨. Then moving to pure black for the second week 🎃.

We ask anyone who is willing to participate once again one last time before the remake is released. Even just playing online and leaving your ghostly impression 👻 goes towards making Boletaria feel alive for someone else once again.

**PS3 SETUP**

`1. Go to Network PS3 Settings > Internet Connection Settings.

2. Here, press 'Custom' and 'Enter Manually'.

3. Change your Primary DNS to 142.93.245.186`

---

Video Guide:

https://youtu.be/uo-fm5Kz_ZU

Umbasa. <:MaidenInBlack:738983062771335209>
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m resurrecting this thread in light of today’s (or last week’s) release of the Demons Souls remake.

I’m playing with the pulse3D headset and the triple whammy of the DualSense, tempest 3D audio and the visual upgrade are giving me goosebumps.

It is 100% the most impressed I have ever been by a launch game as usually I tend to end up being disappointed.

It’s difficult to describe how truly “next-gen” this feels. I’m floored.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Simonsloth wrote: November 19th, 2020, 9:02 pm It’s difficult to describe how truly “next-gen” this feels. I’m floored.
Agree.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Wow, big praise.

I'm now very jealous and feeling foolish for buying a PS4 only 3 months ago!

What is it that feels so next gen? Purely the visuals and frame rate?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The visuals play their part but given I’d seen a lot of footage I knew what to expect.

It’s the combination of controller feedback and 3D audio which makes it incredible. You feel it when your sword bounces off a shield or when you do the perfect parry. The 3D audio made it seem like things were In the room around me. Its really immersive and reminds me a little of how I felt playing VR for the first time. It feels exciting and fresh.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Simonsloth wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:13 am The visuals play their part but given I’d seen a lot of footage I knew what to expect.

It’s the combination of controller feedback and 3D audio which makes it incredible. You feel it when your sword bounces off a shield or when you do the perfect parry. The 3D audio made it seem like things were In the room around me. Its really immersive and reminds me a little of how I felt playing VR for the first time. It feels exciting and fresh.
Nice! How are you experiencing the audio? Headphones, out of your TV or got a good set up?
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I keep seeing stuff about demon's souls on Twitter, and it looks really really exciting to be playing that for the first time. All that stuff about the mysterious door and the ceramic coins, it's really cool to see stuff like that being investigated by the community in real time.

Definitely a little bit jealous of those of you who got a ps5 to play this one, looks amazing 🤩
Jushida

Post by Jushida »

Bluepoint deserve massive credit. The atmosphere and sense of dread of the original is perfectly in tact and the 3D audio/haptic feedback is genuinely a game changer for Souls. I'm currently midway through Stonefang and the echoes through the mines are stunning, makes everything even more claustrophobic. I think a few enemy redesigns aren't *quite* there, but as a whole it really is stunning.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

seansthomas wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:31 am
Simonsloth wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:13 am The visuals play their part but given I’d seen a lot of footage I knew what to expect.

Nice! How are you experiencing the audio? Headphones, out of your TV or got a good set up?
One slight downer at the moment is 3D audio is only via the controller or Sony BT headphones. I have a good set of headphones (Hifiman Ananda) and a very capable USB DAC but the PS5 doesn't support USB audio for more modern DACs (UAC 2, to be specific), which is a bugger. There's no other option besides plugging the headphones (or DAC) straight into the controller, as the Tempest 3D stuff isn't currently supported by HDMI audio.

That said, it sounds FUCKING AMAZING ANYWAY. They've really nailed it. I do hope that a firmware update will support my DAC though because USB audio will be even better than BT to 3.5mm via the pad.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

seansthomas wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:31 am

I bought the pulse 3D headset. I mistakenly thought this was the only headset that took advantage of all the bells and whistles the new audio system had to offer. I don’t regret it as they are superior to my platinum headset!

I’m actually approaching the game with a lot of trepidation and the thought of some of the darker levels is making me nervous haha
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Okay, question from those of us still stuck decades behind. I bought Demon Souls on the PS3 a month before they announced the remake. Should I skip playing it, even though I spent the cash and just wait for the day in the far (possibly never) future when I have a PS5 or would I still enjoy my archaic PS3 version?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

duskvstweak wrote: November 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm Okay, question from those of us still stuck decades behind. I bought Demon Souls on the PS3 a month before they announced the remake. Should I skip playing it, even though I spent the cash and just wait for the day in the far (possibly never) future when I have a PS5 or would I still enjoy my archaic PS3 version?
There’s a loyal following of people still playing the PS3 version and they are running private servers which you can join. They have a discord which is surprisingly active and you can usually find a few people playing at any one time. I’m not sure what will happen in the future but for now I would recommend joining the private servers. You may not find someone online to buddy up with but you will see all the important messages on the floor highlighting the points of interest etc which help no end.

I’ve never finished the PS3 version having played the first 5 or 6 areas multiple times and funnily enough I’m up to the same exact point on the ps5 version. I’m getting out of my comfort zone!!

https://uk.ign.com/articles/the-fans-pr ... experience
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Hey everyone, gradually working my way through the game on PS5 and am truly in love like I was with Dark Souls.

If anyone wants a co-op buddy for early parts of the game I’d be happy to oblige. I’m by no means any good at the game but let me know.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Last chance if anyone wants some co-op help with any bosses or areas.

Im on the final boss and have all areas unlocked but Once I complete the game and go into NG+ everything will be locked again.

Will probably complete the game tomorrow unless anyone wants to give it a whirl.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

That's the kind of thing I'd jump at if I had the game! Happy sun-broing man :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Jon Cheetham wrote: February 6th, 2021, 3:53 pm That's the kind of thing I'd jump at if I had the game! Happy sun-broing man :)
The scarcity of PS5s in the UK definitely is showing right now as there’s barely anyone in the game. I’ve changed my region on the game to east coast USA which a lot of the Demons Souls discord have done.

Double edged sword as there’s more people to summon but more invaders!

Let me know if you get the game Jon and I’ll happily bro-op🤣

I’m thinking of starting Dark Souls 2 (for the first time) as weirdly Demons Souls seemed to be ending just as I got going with it!