Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by DomsBeard »

Tales from the Borderlands episodes 4 and 5

I've had it sat to play for years and wanted a quick something after finishing Ghost Of Tsushima and it nicely fit the bill. I was up to speed with the story straight away and overall it was a fun romp.

Looking forward to listening to the show on it.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Finished Ghost of Tsushima yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to everyone.
DomsBeard wrote: December 9th, 2020, 6:46 pm Tales from the Borderlands episodes 4 and 5
It's a great, great game. Now if you haven't played The Wolf Among Us or the TT Batman game, I would recommend one of those.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It's part of me mopping up my Telltale stuff. I've completed everything now bar Guardians Of The Galaxy.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I finished Sayonara Wild Hearts and it was an incredible, 10/10 experience.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:51 am Jan 10th - Spider-Man (PS4)
Jan 26th - Children of Morta (XBO)
Feb 10th - Indivisible (XBO)
April 6th - Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
April 18th - Yakuza 0 (XBO)
May 2nd - Streets of Rage 4 (XBO)
May 29th - Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath (PS4)
June 1st - Bastion (XBO)
June 28th - Observation (XBO)
July 11th - The Messenger (XBO)
August 9th - Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)
Sep 24th - Lego Batman (360)
Oct 17th - CrossCode (XBO)
Oct 31st - Carto (XBO)
Nov 21st - Star Wars: Jedi, Fallen Order (XBO)
Nov 23rd - Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (XBO)
Dec 12th - Control (XBO)

That was pretty darn good. Remedy have a knack for this kind of ‘things are not quite right’ setting, the 60s vibe and the explanation for that, the inception style warping of buildings, the creepy puppet show...

The combat was just starting to get a little samey when I reached the end of the game, so I’d say it was pretty well paced. As it was gamepass I played it on I don’t have the dlc, anyone know if that’s worth a look?

Only major downside is just how unstable it is on the base XBO, for a game that’s been out a year I’m surprised that it’s still so crashy.
Cangry

Post by Cangry »

Loved "Silent Hill Homecoming", very nice
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)
10/04 - Tangle Tower (Switch)
13/05 - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PS Vita)
23/05 - Mega Man X2 (Switch)
14/06 - Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
03/07 - The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4)
11/07 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)
22/07 - Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
28/07 - Demon's Souls (PS3)
21/08 - Manifold Garden (PC)
05/09 - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC)
30/09 - Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PS4 and PC)
08/10 - Hades (PC)
08/11 - Gears Tactics (PC)
15/11 - Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PS4/PC)
20/11 - Astro's Playroom (PS5)
14/11 - Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (PS5/PC)

Yeah, this is totally one of the great Final Fantasies. The flood of light and Sin Eaters is my favourite cosmic threat the series has ever had, because they use it as more than just another god to kill. Emet-Selch is up there with there amongst my favourite Final Fantasy characters. It really is brilliant. ...Shame I can't in good faith recommend people trudge through Realm Reborn to get here...
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I played A Realm Reborn way back and got excited when they announced the free trial up to the end of Heavensward, but then I found out I couldn't use my pre-existing character with the trial version. :cry: Good to hear you enjoyed the expansions though.

Onto the list,
Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
Apr 13 - Spider-Man: Turf Wars DLC (PS4)
Apr 14 - Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)
May 12 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
May 17- The Gardens Between (Switch)
May 28 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
Jun 14 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
Jun 15 - WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Jun 16 - A Short Hike (PC)
Jun 17 - Catlateral Damage (PC)
Jun 20 - Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds (PS4)
Jun 20 - Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC - PC emulation)
Jul 2 - The World Ends With You Solo Remix (Android)
Jul 11 - Mr. Driller Drill Land (Switch)
Jul 20 - Monument Valley 2 (Android)
Jul 29 - Professor Layton and the Lost Future (3DS - DS Cart)
Aug 6 - FutureGrind (PC)
Aug 9 - Pikuniku (PC)
Aug 14 - Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)
Aug 30 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles (PC)
Sep 14 - Oxenfree (PC)
Sep 29 - Xenoblade Chronicles (Switch)
Oct 1 - Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (PC)
Oct 10 - Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected (Switch)
Nov 29 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - (Azure Moon path, Hard, Casual)
Dec 2 - Hades (Switch)
Dec 11 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (PS4)

I completed all the goals and gold medals in the skate tour mode. I played 2 a lot when I was young and while I couldn't say how faithful the handling is, it captures the vibe (except some of the modern hip-hop tracks on the soundtrack, they don't mesh with the pop-punk or the old-school hip-hop for me). It looks good, it's smooth. The way they just let music tracks play in full from menus to screen is nice. It was a lot of fun, so much so that I've nearly finished it again.

The amount of real brand (and not just the skateboard brands) advertising in it is off-putting. Red Bull ruined Marseille, I love the Marseille park, now it looks ugly.

Dec 15 - Wandersong (Switch)
Replay of a favourite of mine from last year before the crew cover it. I read the little director's commentary bubbles dotted throughout the game too, which was nice for bits of insight into its making.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Gokujou Parodius.
By Accident.
Fun though!
I did it a on a stream, but only just got round to chopping the video up!
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Duck Tales - NES - No Death
Really happy with this one.
I fancy trying to get the ten million dollars ending
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That’s some mighty fine pogoing, Scrooge McDuck.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 16th, 2020, 2:32 pm That’s some mighty fine pogoing, Scrooge McDuck.
Why thank you sir. Nearly came a cropper a few times but somehow managed to hold it together.

Also this explains the shouts of Taco Nazi.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
14/06 - OneShot
16/06 - OneShot (NG+/Solstice)
22/06 - The World Begins With You
27/06 - Titanfall 2
10/07 - Vane
16/07 - What Remains of Edith Finch
27/07 - Braid
28/07 - Shadow Warrior 2
07/08 - Night in the Woods
15/08 - Night in the Woods
23/08 - Yakuza 5 Remastered
26/08 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
04/09 - Hyper Light Drifter
05/09 - Prey (2017)
08/09 - Night in the Woods
15/09 - Hyper Light Drifter (Alt Drifter)
29/09 - Need for Speed: Underground
30/09 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Lord of Shadow)
01/10 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2: Revelations (Lord of Shadow)
07/10 - Back to Bed
10/10 - Gujian 3
23/10 - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
29/10 - No Straight Roads
01/11 - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
12/11 - Legacy of Kain: Defiance
21/11 - Darksiders III (Apocalyptic/Armageddon 1)
30/11 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Master Quest
03/12 - NaissanceE
16/12 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This stands up pretty well all these years later, although I do still think it has some problems that hold it back from being among the best games in the series. I probably liked it a bit more than I originally did, but it does unfortunately start losing momentum as the game goes on somewhat. It never gets outright bad though, and there's still good bits in those later chapters, but it starts feeling too much of an arbitrary macguffin hunt towards the back end.

Earlier parts are more interesting as you're discovering new areas and trying to catch up with Zelda to work out what is going on, but later on your goal is mostly to just get the next shiny thing. While that's a criticism you could probably point towards most Zelda games, I think here the reuse of the same overworld areas is what makes it harder to ignore. Which is a shame, because on your first run through these areas, they are quite impressively designed. Compact and intricate, where it feels like little space is wasted, and there's consideration of making shortcuts accessible as you get deeper in to them. But then when you revisit these areas for later parts of the story, it can feel like the way they changed only exists to force you to go through these new obstacles, instead of it feeling like a natural evolution. Some parts are better than others though, so the actual experience of revisiting these areas isn't all bad.

The dungeons themselves are all consistently good. A lot of them have interesting ideas about how you interact with them, like the way you can raise and lower the central tower in the Ancient Cistern, or change the state of the entire dungeon at once using the Timeshift Stone in the Sandship. Most of the enjoyment comes from the puzzle items you use in these dungeons though, which use the motion controls well. It opens up new ways to solve puzzles that feel refreshing and novel. It gives this game a unique character where interacting with it feels significantly different to anything else in the series.

I still stand by the motion controls in general being good too. They work pretty well for the most part, and rarely did I feel like they weren't doing what I wanted, or that when things went wrong it was something that could be blamed on them. While they don't work 100% perfectly, it's still well within a reasonable range, and any frustrations to be had with them are usually easily solved just by being a bit more attentive with inputs. There are some issues though, one being how sometimes the calibration can be off, so when you go in to aiming mode the camera swings to the side when you're trying to point forward. That's usually not a big issue though, as you pretty much never go in to that mode when quick actions are needed, and there's a button to fix it easily accessible too. Another problem though which I don't think I can overlook are commands that require you to point the Wiimote downwards. It's just awkward and strains the wrist. Sword combat works very well though. It feels accurate and responsive, and gives the fights in this game a very unique feel. I'm in two minds about how good that difference is though. It turns them in to a more deliberate and almost puzzle-like encounter, where the solution is often kind of rigid. While it's fun in how it encourages a more thoughtful and precise approach, it can also feel a bit slow and restrictive at times as well, depending on the enemy you're up against. While I appreciate it for what it is, I'm sort of glad the series didn't adopt this as standard afterwards.

Graphically it looks nice, and they did some clever things with the art style here, but it's still showing its age somewhat on a technical level. The way distant objects blur in to a paintbrush style filter works well, and is still a very unusual look. It helps to hide low res textures and aliasing too. Unfortunately there's still the issue of aliasing in the foreground however. Pixelated edges of stuff that is in focus is hard to ignore. The game also has a whole lot of dithering too. Although in a way I don't really dislike that one. It almost adds to the painterly look, like it's the roughness of the canvas showing through or something. Either way, I think this art style would be very well suited to a remaster that ups the resolution. Without the aliasing, I think the paintbrush effect would work even better.

Oh, and Fi is still annoying. Perhaps a bit less so than when I originally played this, but she's still frequently butting in repeating redundant information, like explaining the basics of how dungeons work in the final dungeon, with her boring robotic personality. But at least playing it again I know when to avoid her optional dialogue, safe in the knowledge it would be a waste of time to listen to anyway.

Still a pretty good experience overall though. It has its faults, definitely, but it rarely ever gets so bad as to bring things down to it being an actually negative experience. And it has some really good high points too. I wonder if there will be a more general re-appraisal of this game if/when a remaster comes out, as seems likely with the Zelda anniversary next year.

---

16/12 - Devil May Cry 5 (Devil Hunter/Vergil)

So the Vergil DLC for the original version of DMC5 came out yesterday, and I just finished off my first run with him. He's pretty fun, very similar to how he was in 4SE, but with a few interesting tweaks. Most notably Devil Trigger works differently now, and there are some new intentionally overpowered moves as well. Those are a lot of fun to pull off. As for DT, the normal version is now replaced with his doppelganger, but still retains some of the usual qualities. I didn't really mess around with that much, so I'm guessing there's more to it than I discovered. He also has access to Sin Devil Trigger through the whole game, and it works as if Quad S is always active, so you can use it way more liberally than with Dante. You can also combine both versions of DT as the same time, like in your fights against him in the main game.

He's very fun to play as, even if he doesn't have access to quite as much stuff as the other characters. Still a lot to dig in to there though, and I don't think I've got close to fully mastering him yet. I can't even pull off the Judgement Cut timing properly. I'm always glad to see Beowulf come back though, and I think I managed to dig in to its abilities more than I have done in other games too, as I started working out how to use them in conjunction with Summoned Swords to freeze enemies. Very fun to pull off. In general he's snappy and satisfying to play as, and can be deceptively difficult to properly get the most out of. Being somewhat overpowered, you can get pretty far by not having to put that much effort in, but that will leave you open in certain areas that might not be immediately obvious. Despite not having as many toys at his disposal as Dante, he still has that quality of looking like a completely different character when you see what he can do in the hands of someone more skilled.

The final boss in particular was a big example of this deceptive difficulty too...
Through pretty much the whole game I barely had to try very hard, never died, and got S ranks on almost everything first try. While I guess a lot of that is down to me being experienced at the game and playing on a lower difficulty, I got a bit of a rude awakening on the last two missions. Both of them are fights against Dante, although they do play out differently. He uses different weapons each time, and has access to SDT in the second fight. But even when I got to mission 19 he kicked by arse pretty hard at first. I could barely do anything. It was a enormous difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game. I've had an easier time on other bosses at way higher difficulties. You absolutely cannot just wing it like I was doing for the rest of the game. I had to go in to the practice mode to play around with the weapons a bit to understand them more so I could get some decent combos in. Thankfully after that I managed to get both rounds done without too much trouble. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to jump back in for Son of Sparda mode, but if/when I do, I'm a bit concerned about what these missions will be like when I get back here.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

18. Gears Tactics
Somewhat controversially as I don't imagine it will be the same for anyone else, but this is my GOTY. This was the first game I played on my Series X and have been playing it on there and my laptop at every chance I got, such was my love for the game. I am a huge fan of the XCOM style genre (despite not enjoying XCOM games much weirdly) and would say this is my favourite. I found the game to be perfectly balanced with regards to the skills you can get for your characters and those of the enemies. There is a huge amount of skill point combinations and weapon/armour modifications your characters can have, but not once did I feel under or over powered. There wasn't a base management aspect in the game like in XCOM, which is what puts me off the XCOM games, so that was perhaps another reason why I liked it so much. It also looks great too. Highly recommended. 9/10
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)
10/04 - Tangle Tower (Switch)
13/05 - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PS Vita)
23/05 - Mega Man X2 (Switch)
14/06 - Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
03/07 - The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4)
11/07 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)
22/07 - Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
28/07 - Demon's Souls (PS3)
21/08 - Manifold Garden (PC)
05/09 - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC)
30/09 - Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (PS4 and PC)
08/10 - Hades (PC)
08/11 - Gears Tactics (PC)
15/11 - Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PS4/PC)
20/11 - Astro's Playroom (PS5)
14/11 - Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (PS5/PC)
19/12 - Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)

A lot of fun, but not quite on the same level as the first game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)
JUL - Bayonetta (Switch)
JUL - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
JUL - The Gardens Between (Android)
AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)
AUG - Celeste Classic (PICO-8 on Switch)
AUG - Thimbleweed Park (Android)
AUG - Celeste (Switch)
AUG - Bury Me, My Love (Android)
AUG - NBA 2K20: Career Mode story (Switch)
SEP - Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)
OCT - Final Fight (Switch)
OCT - The King Of Dragons (Switch)
OCT - Death Stranding (PS4)
OCT - Sunset Riders (Switch)
NOV - Super Mario Maker 2: Story Mode (Switch)
NOV - Final Fantasy VII (Switch)
DEC - World Of Goo (Android)

I'm not really sure why I embarked on another play through of this, but it's almost a bit of a comfort game for me I think. I just really love it. I've played it dozens of times on several formats over the years, but only to completion once before this time. It's really cemented it as pretty much a perfect video game in my eyes. Endlessly inventive, looks and sounds lovely and I honestly can't think of a single way in which it could be improved.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry New Dawn - XB1X.
(Jan) Darksiders 3 - XB1X.
(Feb) Borderlands 3 - XB1X.
(Mar) Remnant: From the Ashes - XB1X.
(Mar) Farming Simulator 17 - XB1X.
(Mar) Tracks-The Train Set Game - XB1X.
(Apr) Vanquish Remastered - XB1X.
(Apr) Deliver Us The Moon - XB1X.
(May) DOOM Eternal - XB1X.
(July) The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4 Pro.
(July) Assassin's Creed Odyssey - PS4 Pro.
(July) Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Nioh - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Carrion - XB1X.
(Sept) Man Of Medan -XB1X.
(Sept) Journey to the Savage Planet - XB1X.
(Sept) CoD MW2 Remastered - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Lara Croft Go - PS Vita.
(Sept) Batman: The Enemy Within - XB1X.
(Sept) Tell Me Why - XB1X.
(Oct) Mafia: Definitive Edition - XB1X.
(Oct) My Friend Pedro - XB1X.
(Nov) Maid of Sker - XB1X.
(Nov) Forza Motorsport 7 - XB1X.
(Dec) Gears of War: Ultimate Edition - Series X.
(Dec) Bleed 2 - Series X.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 31-Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
April 13: Yakuza Kiwami
April 30: Locoroco 2
June 21: Batman: Arkham Knight
September 12: A Boy and His Blob
November 14: Wandersong
December 19: Sonic 4: Episode 1
I had never played this back in the day but had heard it has quite a reputation of being not so good among Sonic fans. So I went and tried it on Playstation Now to see how true that assessment was and I kinda see where they are coming from but for me, this was just alright.

Which is sort of an issue in itself considering it followed Sonic 3 and Knuckles, a game which for me is the best of the Mega Drive trilogy and was the peak of 2d Sonic platforming before Mania came along. Alright really does not cut it. The graphics have a weird plastic sheen, the physics are absent (Sonic can stand perfectly still on a slope angled at 20 degrees!) and most levels and bosses are ripped off from previous Sonic games. Homing attack was alright but also made things too easy. These things were all lacklustre but also not so offensive as to make it an actively bad experience.

What is so bad it verges on offensive is the music. Holy Christ, the music for this game is ABYSMAL. If S3&K’s soundtrack was, say, the London Symphony Orchestra playing the Firebird by Stravinsky then Sonic 4’s soundtrack is a drunk guy at 3AM simultaneously slurring and butchering the lyrics to a song he can barely remember while half heartedly shaking a tambourine. It is mostly atonal synth nonsense that would be an insult to have in a ROM hack never mind the official follow up to one of the best 2D platformers of the 16 bit era. For God’s sake, the final boss theme lasts for 13 seconds and loops over and over! This is a first for me, where easily the worst thing in a game is the music and especially in a series such as Sonic where even the worst titles have some great tunes.

Overall, if you can get it cheaply or free, try it if you are curious or have absolutely nothing better to play. If you want an actual Sonic 4, try Mania.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)
JUL - Bayonetta (Switch)
JUL - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
JUL - The Gardens Between (Android)
AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)
AUG - Celeste Classic (PICO-8 on Switch)
AUG - Thimbleweed Park (Android)
AUG - Celeste (Switch)
AUG - Bury Me, My Love (Android)
AUG - NBA 2K20: Career Mode story (Switch)
SEP - Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)
OCT - Final Fight (Switch)
OCT - The King Of Dragons (Switch)
OCT - Death Stranding (PS4)
OCT - Sunset Riders (Switch)
NOV - Super Mario Maker 2: Story Mode (Switch)
NOV - Final Fantasy VII (Switch)
DEC - The Last Of Us Part II (PS4)
DEC - World Of Goo (Android)
DEC - Cuphead (Switch)

What a fantastic game! Spent longer on the final boss than most of the other worlds put together, but what a beautiful, perfectly controlled, satisfying journey this game was. Loved it.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

12/22/2020
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Wow. Where do I even start? That was very likely the most confusing game I have ever played. The story has Time-travel, is told totally out of order, from 13 different viewpoints, in ways that very often make little to no sense. The fact that, by the end, it does somehow all make sense, and not just in a vague way, but you actually understand nearly everything that happened, would be an incredible feat even if the story itself was just average, but it's not, it's fantastic. The story managed to make me care a very great deal about every one of the characters, even though I had very little idea as to what was going on for the first 50% or so of the game, and constantly fed just enough information to make me *want* to figure out what the heck was going on. The ending delivered on that promise perfectly.

The gameplay, while definitely not the focus, was also great, the tactical mech combat was a lot of fun, and the abstract presentation felt right for the game. If it sometimes felt like a chore, it was only because it pulled you away from the amazing story, in many games it would have been a highlight.

It's an extremely hard game to describe or summarize, but it's easily my favorite game of the year, and may end up being one of my all-time favorites.