Games Completed 2021

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Gadget8Bit

Re: Games Completed 2021

Post by Gadget8Bit »

21/04/21 - What Remains Of Edith Finch

Wow

Just.... wow
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Gadget8Bit wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:12 am 21/04/21 - What Remains Of Edith Finch

Wow

Just.... wow
Yep. What a game. I think for sheer environmental story telling, Gone Home is still my favorite of the genre, but Edith Finch was just exceptional, and the different gameplay mechanics of each section worked so well. I played it for a second time earlier this year, and enjoyed it just as much as the first time.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Jan 22nd - Jedi Fallen Order
Feb 21st - Little Nightmares
Mar 30th - Final Fantasy X
April 21st - Dark Souls 3

Beat the main game of Dark Souls 3. Still got both of the DLCs to play but we'll still count it as a completed game. I really enjoyed it. The gameplay is really fun, a nice balance between Dark Souls and the more aggressive, fast style of Bloodborne. Boss fights are always talked up in this game and they didn't disappoint. Some tough ones but nothing I'd consider a proper wall.

Level design was generally excellent, but world design felt a little less cohesive. That and the fast travel system made the game feel disconnected and less immersive than Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I really enjoyed the story and lore expansion, even if some of it was a bit silly and 'I understood that reference', the video game. Only one or two things I thought weren't that great. I'll need to catch up on my lore vids after the DLC.

Overall this was probably the most straightforward, fun From Software game for me. Maybe because I've played a few now, but also generally not a lot of tricky boss runs, plenty of bonfires. Feels like a step on the way to Sekiro, where levels are a little more straightforward but combat is quicker and more challenging. It's a great game in its own right and I really enjoyed it.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of the Sea - Series X.
(Jan) Remember Me - PS3.
(Jan) Ghostbusters Remastered - Series X
(Feb) Disney Infinity 2.0 - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Sacred 3 - PS3.
(Feb) The Darkness II - PS3.
(Feb) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PS3.
(Mar) Gears 5: Hivebusters - Series X.
(Mar) Silent Hill: Downpour - PS3.
(Mar) The Medium - Series X.
(Mar) Donut County - Series X.
(Mar) Astro's Playroom - PS5.
(Apr) Outriders - Series X.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

This I was able to start and finish Persona 4, I loved it and it got me back into Persona 5 which I originally dropped off playing a third of the way through, then I also finished Persona 5.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Spoiler: show
Jan 2021:
Get Even via PS Now
Last Story Wii
Warioware GBA
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Celeste
Doom Eternal
Demon's Souls
I've really rubbish at keeping up with my forum posts so have a huge completion list dump to make so will just be a list. Am playing Persona 5 mainly so will be a while before I finish another game.

Feb:
Super Mario 64 (switch)
Duke 3D
Sea of Thieves (Tall Tales)
Super Mario World 2

March:
Hitman
Hitman 2
Black: The Fall
Bradwell Conspiracy
Fifa 18: The Journey
Donut County

April:
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Life is Strange 2
Trinity (Pc)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Jan 2021:
Get Even via PS Now
Last Story Wii
Warioware GBA
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Celeste
Doom Eternal
Demon's Souls

Feb:
Super Mario 64 (switch)
Duke 3D
Sea of Thieves (Tall Tales)
Super Mario World 2

March:
Hitman
Hitman 2
Black: The Fall
Bradwell Conspiracy
Fifa 18: The Journey
Donut County

April:
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Life is Strange 2
Trinity (Pc)
April:
Gorogoa

Enjoyable but I don’t really understand the fuss that was made about it.

Super Mario Sunshine

Far better than I thought it would be and unlike Super Mario 64 I felt I had absolute control over Mario’s every movement. The FLUDD-less platforming sections were diabolical at times but it made conquering them incredibly satisfying.

Next up.. Galaxy
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

8 - Crysis 2 (PC)

On gamepass, big dumb fun - the plot was nonsense but the destroyed New York setting, set pieces and super suit powers made it a good time and worth a playthrough
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 8th, 2021, 5:26 pm Jan - Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
Jan - Gears 5: Hivebusters (XSX)
Feb - Yakuza 0 (XSX)
Mar - Klonoa: Door To Phantomile (PS1 via Vita)
Mar - Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5)
Apr - Dishonored: Definitive Edition (XSX)

I'd tried and failed to really get into Dishonored on the 360 back in the day. It's not that I didn't like it, but I also didn't love it, and it didn't take much for me to drift away after what was probably 4 or 5 hours.

Despite this I always had Dishonored marked as a game I'd like to come back to at some point. So when the Definitive Edition arrived on Game Pass along with the avalanche of Bethesda titles, and with FPS Boost cranking it up to 60 frames a second, the time had finally come.

I definitely think I was playing it wrong last time. Now you can debate whether that's a fault with the game that there is 'right' and 'wrong' way to play it (I'd argue it probably is), but it certainly feels as though that is the case. It really isn't a game where you can choose to be stealthy, go in all guns blazing, or somewhere in between. It's a stealth game, pure and simple, and if you play it as anything else the whole thing really just falls apart in a mess of dodgy first person combat and awkward controls.

So, full-on stealth I went, and I loved it! The enemy A.I. has definitely been surpassed by more recent games (the base game is nearly 9 years old at this point), but the level design, environment traversal and world building, are all still wonderful today. It's a game that genuinely rewards exploration and experimentation, and if you play it in that spirit some of the emergent gameplay and consequences still have the power to feel really innovative.

I'm really glad I went back to this game. I'm still not a Dishonored die-hard like so many, but I definitely found the experience really compelling. Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider are now definitely on the cards for later in the year!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#10 - Pokemon Snap (N64)

Good video game.

Very short game though. I rolled credits within 3 hours despite not having really played the game in like 15 years. It's basically a rail shooter with hidden paths and puzzle mechanics. I really enjoyed it! But it's really far too short. If I'd paid $60 for this in the N64 days, even considering the time, I would have felt slighted. Even going for a completionist run, getting an excellent score on all possible Pokemon and unlocking all the special photograph conditions... I doubt there's more than 6 hours of game here. And bear in mind too, I only needed to consult a guide ONCE. It's extremely easy.

Ultimately though, for the $10 I paid on WiiU eShop, that's definitely a fair price. Like. There's really nothing else like this game, still, 22 years later. And I'm really shocked by that - it's such a great core concept. So, I'm excited for New Pokemon Snap coming in a few days. Hopefully it greatly expands on the concepts of the original.

It's my 31st birthday today, so it'll be my gift to myself. ;D
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

Tolkientaters wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 4:59 am This I was able to start and finish Persona 4, I loved it and it got me back into Persona 5 which I originally dropped off playing a third of the way through, then I also finished Persona 5.
That's funny, I had a similar but opposite experience! I tried out Persona 4 a few years ago but it didn't stick for more than a dozen hours maybe, then last year I played Persona 5, really enjoyed it and returned to finally complete 4. (and then continued going back through the series!)
Nowadays I'm playing through P5 Royal and am nearly done with it, really fond of most the changes they made.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Pigeon wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:52 am
That's funny, I had a similar but opposite experience! I tried out Persona 4 a few years ago but it didn't stick for more than a dozen hours maybe, then last year I played Persona 5, really enjoyed it and returned to finally complete 4. (and then continued going back through the series!)
Nowadays I'm playing through P5 Royal and am nearly done with it, really fond of most the changes they made.
I liked all the changes they made, I just didn't like the starting characters in Persona 5, Morgana in particular really annoyed me. I liked
Makoto, Futaba, and Goro
, and most of the non party members, I just wasn't a fan if the initial party members. The gameplay and presentation of 5 is amazing, but in such a character based game it's hard to keep going if you don't wanna spend time with the characters.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

I played and completed Resident Evil 4 for the first time this year, it's as good as everyone says. I played RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake and Resident Evil 7 before but RE4 still managed to be my favorite, it's just a great game.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I finished my Masters Degree, does that count?

To celebrate, I blasted through #10 - Knights of the Round on the Capcom Belt Action Collection.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Tolkientaters wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:09 am I played and completed Resident Evil 4 for the first time this year, it's as good as everyone says. I played RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake and Resident Evil 7 before but RE4 still managed to be my favorite, it's just a great game.
Nice, I played it for the first time last year. That's some good Resi.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)
14/04 - Drakengard 2 (Ending A)
28/04 - Drakengard 3 (Endings A-D)

What a strange, frustrating, intriguing game. I kind of hate it, but kind of love it at the same time. I'll try not to spend too much time going stuff I have done before here and here, but my mind hasn't changed a whole deal from then. The biggest sticking point it still the shockingly bad performance. It never stops being galling just how bad it is through the whole game, although I think near the end I did see some tiny glimmer of what the game could have been if it ran acceptably. I had a few pretty good combat moments in the final section of the game when they put you up against a string of singular high level enemies on a small straight path. When you can actually see what's going on and can time your actions it becomes... okay. Still very clunky and stiff, but at least the animations are stylish and flashy, and getting a good string of parries is satisfying. Maybe I would call it the best in the series if it actually functioned at a solid frame rate constantly, even if that was just 30fps, as this game was intended to be.

The story does get very interesting towards the very end as well. The structure here is again different from other games in the series. The longest branch is the first, that takes you through the bulk of the story finishing at Ending A. After that Branches B and C are basically just short side-stories that diverge at certain points, and result in dead ends. But they do begin to introduce certain characters and concepts in there. Then Branch D is longer, although still not huge, and that's when they finally reveal a bunch of the mysteries they have been building up. Not everything gets covered, but it changes the tone of the game a bit. It turns rather tragic in the end, and I admit it actually got to me a bit by the final credits.

This game also makes the whole branching stories idea of this larger franchise a canon part of it. I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I rather liked the idea that seemed to be apparent in the first game (and the original Nier) that the concept of "canon" was not really a concern. It was toying around with the possibilities of storytelling when you don't need to worry about what singular version of it is the "real" one. No need to explain with alternate universes or anything, just freeing the imagination for the purpose of strengthening themes, etc. So the idea that has to be justified by some lore detail seems a bit... restrictive, maybe even unimaginative. But at the same time, the way they do it here does work with the story it's trying to tell. It supports the more tragic tone it ends up with at the end. Still, I'm not 100% sure that was worth the trade-off, and it also might have some implications for later games in this universe that might not be so great. There's a character in this game that gets very briefly alluded to in Automata, and as I'm currently playing Replicant ver. 1.22, I have already noticed a mention of them being retroactively added to that game as well. Their role might be bigger later on as I get to the new bonus content too. I like the character themselves and it would be cool to see them interact with other characters, but I'm still ambivalent towards the possibility of these games getting too wrapped up in self-justifying lore. That's not what makes them special.

This was the first time with this trilogy where I actually managed to get all the endings myself. It was satisfying, and that last encounter was really cool, but I don't think I ever want to to it again. At least not without a massive difficulty nerf to the last boss. It was very cool in concept, and a high point of the game, but is deviously hard and unforgiving. The rhythm game set up is cool, and it does some very cheeky things because it knows it can get away with having you only rely on audio cues, but at times it pushes it really far. And when you have to do the whole 8 minute sequence over if you mess up once, that's pretty cruel. And the very last prompt comes in once the music and visuals have faded out, and it overlaps with dialogue too. I used a video to help me judge when stuff was coming, and if I didn't have that I'm not sure I could have ever finished this. But damn, is that music good, and the visual presentation of it is brilliant too. And I do have to hand it to them for some of the neat things it manages to pull off, even if those same things also got on my nerves a bit.

I haven't gone through the DLC yet, so I've still got some time with this game yet before I move on. But I think this more than enough counts as completing the game. As far as I know, there's not any brutally hard curveballs in the DLC chapters, so I'm hoping it'll be smooth sailing from now on too.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

9 - From Russia With Love (GCN via Dolphin Emulator)

EA's and Connery's last bond hurrah is better than i thought it would be, a fairly standard shooter for the time but has enough Bond flavour (JETPACKS) to make it a worthwhile playthrough for Bond fans and doesn't overstay it's welcome.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished It Takes Two with Leon over the last fortnight and I absolutely loved it. The story didn't evolve beyond the opening much and I found the ending to be disappointing but each and every level is bursting with variety and creativity. The level of co-operation required is on par with Portal 2 and having the split screen enabled at all times really helped both of us communicate when the going got tough.

I'm keen to check out A Way Out one day and seeing as though it's constantly in and out of console sales for a fiver, I'm assuming it wont be long before I do.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

FINALLY finished Etrian Odyssey IV after being stuck at the very final boss for literally years. Could never beat it.

I would try occasionally, give up out of frustration and repeat the process.

Finish #11 this year is a sweet, sweet victory!
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

10 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC)

Whilst this is still your standard shooting gallery FPS campaign I was surprised by the story, tone and characters which really elevated the experience and made it a much more fun time than your normal military shooter. The real highlight was the destructible environments though, can't understand why Dice haven't pushed this further and further as it really makes the gameplay so much more fun and unpredictable than your average COD campaign - I hope they revisit the series one day and we get Bad Company 3