Games Completed 2021

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Indiana747

Re: Games Completed 2021

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of the Sea - Series X.
(Jan) Remember Me - PS3.
(Jan) Ghostbusters Remastered - Series X
(Feb) Disney Infinity 2.0 - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Sacred 3 - PS3.
(Feb) The Darkness II - PS3.
(Feb) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PS3.
(Mar) Gears 5: Hivebusters - Series X.
(Mar) Silent Hill: Downpour - PS3.
(Mar) The Medium - Series X.
(Mar) Donut County - Series X.
(Mar) Astro's Playroom - PS5.
(Apr) Outriders - Series X.
(May) Lego City Undercover - Wii U.
(May) Ghost of Tsushima - PS5.
(May) Resident Evil Village - PS5.
(May) Dantes Inferno - Series X(BC).
(May) Streets of Rage 4 - Series X.
(May) Dead Space - Series X(BC).
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

RE8: Village. Aye, was alright. Couple of scary bits, lots of not so scary bits and enough camp line reading to turn the game into a musical in the future. Something RE7 achieved was a sense of unwavering immersion through the first person POV and lack of lines for Ethan. This time you’re brought right back to Earth with a bit of a jolt when something scary happens and Ethan goes “WHAT DA FACK WAS DAT!?”. Also I think someone at CAPCOM’s Resident Evil team has a thing for hand punishment.

I’m now on Returnal but, to be honest, I just don’t get it. I’ll persevere in the meantime though.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Spoiler: show
9 January: Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
12 January: Power Drift (ZX Spectrum)
15 January: Resident Evil 3 Remake (PS4)
16 January: Castlevania - Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine Mini)
17 January: Wonderful Dizzy (ZX Spectrum)
23 January: V-Rally 3 (Game Boy Advance)
30 January: Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (PS4)
6 February: White Jaguar (ZX Spectrum)
8 February: Alien Planet Underwater Research (ZX Spectrum)
13 February: Indiana Jones & the Fountain of Everlasting Life (ZX Spectrum)
15 February: Batman - The Video Game (Mega Drive)
16 February: Scooby Doo (ZX Spectrum)
17 February: World of Illusion (Mega Drive)
18 February: Akumajō Dracula - Castlevania (NES on Switch)
20 February: Super Star Wars (SNES)
28 February: Cyber Shadow (Xbox One)
3 March: Double Kick Heroes (Xbox One)
4 March: Battletoads (Xbox One)
4 March: Jaws (ZX Spectrum)
8 March: Shao-Lin’s Road (ZX Spectrum)
9 March: Shao-Lin’s Road (Arcade on PS1)
10 March: The Medium (Xbox Series X)
13 March: Donut County (Xbox Series X)
15 March: Gears 5 (Xbox Series X)
18 March: Frankenstein’s Monster (Atari 2600)
19 March: Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
21 March: Undertale (Xbox Series X)
25 March: Dragon Quest (Switch)
28 March: Wreckfest (Xbox Series X)
2 April: Genesis Noir (Xbox Series X)
6 April: Narita Boy (Xbox Series X)
10 April: Commando (Arcade on Switch)
14 April: Outriders (Xbox Series X)
19 April: Dirt 5 (Xbox Series X)
30 April: Danterrifik III (ZX Spectrum)
14 May: The Trap Door (ZX Spectrum)
16 May: Resident Evil Village (Xbox Series X)
17 May: Hotshot Racing (Xbox Series X)
23 May: Resident Evil Village NG+ (Xbox Series X)
26 May: WEC Le Mans (ZX Spectrum)
29 May: Silent Hill 2 NG+ (PlayStation 2)
30 May: Mr Heli (ZX Spectrum)
31 May: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)

Bit too much time on Final Fantasy VII Remake this month - glad I played it, but also glad I didn’t pay for it! That sandwiched the wonderful Resident Evil Village (twice), which completely lived up to my own hype, and is definitely game of the year to this point! Also slipped in an extra bit of filling with old favourite The Trap Door - was there ever a better looking Spectrum game? Went back to Hotshot Racing, which is nice, but not quite the Virtua it looks up to. Otherwise, wonderful few hours with WEC Le Mans and Mr Heli, and there’s always time for a new run at Silent Hill 2!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I played through Village twice as well, such a good breezy length and just felt like spending more time with it. Terrific game.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Jon Cheetham wrote: May 30th, 2021, 11:40 am I played through Village twice as well, such a good breezy length and just felt like spending more time with it. Terrific game.
Exactly! I’m going to play through 7 again to give me an excuse to play it a third time! There’s still a couple of things I know I haven’t done, and some weapon upgrades I’ve not tried yet.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

stvnorman wrote: May 30th, 2021, 3:20 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote: May 30th, 2021, 11:40 am I played through Village twice as well, such a good breezy length and just felt like spending more time with it. Terrific game.
Exactly! I’m going to play through 7 again to give me an excuse to play it a third time! There’s still a couple of things I know I haven’t done, and some weapon upgrades I’ve not tried yet.
Good plan. I found some optional areas I missed when I went through again so I'm sure there's others, plus there's more cooking to be done with the Duke :)
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

I played through Bayonetta for the first time and really enjoyed it, it's a fantastic game. I did think the final boss but spectacle above visual clarity in a mildly frustrating manor, but it was a hell of a spectacle.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Donut County - Xbox One
Jan - Eastshade - Xbox One
Mar - Nier: Automata - Xbox One (All Endings, All Achievements)
Mar - Call Of The Sea - Xbox One (100%)
Apr - The Little Acre - Xbox One (Story complete/ 60% achievements)
Apr - Deliver Us The Moon - Xbox One (story complete / 94% achievements)
31st May - Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Xbox One (main campaign story / 82% achievements)

I loved Wildlands when it came out and put a lot of time into that game. I was very excited for Breakpoint right up until the time I played the beta at which point I began to get a little worried. Graphics were glitchy or else had a vague sliminess to; I wasn't a fan of the more immersive experience being the only option; the environments seemed less broad than the Bolivian countryside and the loss of the AI teammates in solo play seemed a step backwards. Upon release, concerns were largely justified.
And yet, since then I've put in 80+ hours into this as something that I just dip into here and there. Three episodes of narrative content have been released post launch, including the seeming inevitable inclusions of Splinter Cell and Future Solder, along with three environmental switches that increase the rebel presence, add poisonous gas clouds or even add T-800's as additional enemies. AI team mates were finally released (after a massive cry) and have since gained their own XP track (and the option to bring in Rainbow 6 team mates). And the gear score loot mechanism - woefully out of place - became an option that could be switched to.
It's not a perfect game for sure, the graphics still have their janky edges; the animations are jerky and torchlight spills out through solid walls. The voice acting is okay at best and the enemy AI is possibly worse than in the previous game. But there are some moments of pure beauty - particularly at dawn and dusk and it's rare that you don't feel in control of your team and how they react to the enemies.
I'm not certain I can recommend this game - but I've been able to carry on my amble across a varied environment as I did with the last game and honestly that's all I was looking for and this game, at last, has delivered.
I hope that Ubisoft will been taking the time in future to ensure that their games are released in a more complete state. I've certainly been holding back in purchasing their titles of recent because the day one condition is poor - but the formula appeared to these open world games definitely works for me - when the rest of the game is in a state to deliver it
PallasRil

Post by PallasRil »

I have tried so hard to like Breakpoint. (insert sigh).

Got the Platinum on Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Over 200 hours of Kassandra owning fools.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

The Ninja
Master System
No Death

I've always loved this one, and it's great to get a good No Death clear done and recorded.
It'll forever be a live favourite, and remind me of the first season of OCC, when I died in a comic fashion at the start of the run and carried on anyway, ending up with a 1CC. Fun video!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Burrrrrton wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 12:37 pm I went through all the parts of The Witcher anew. I don't really like books, games, and TV series. By the way, I'm looking forward to the release of the second season.
Not sure what you're saying - you played The Witcher but didn't like it? You watched the TV series and didn't like it, but are looking forward to the second season?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Finish #16 - Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne HD Remaster - Playthrough one. Only five more to go to get the true demon ending!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Impressive! I tried to pay it a few years ago on PS2, but I really need to push myself hard to get through games with random battles these days.

I did get a bit past Matador though. He apparently has a bit of a rep but I quickly realised I just needed to grind for Media.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

17 - Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition (PS5)

Kicking myself as I managed to get my sweet fish man friend Thane killed in the suicide mission but still a great game, combat felt a bit tired but the world, narrative and overall gameplay still hold up really really well. Remastering is great too making everything really 'pop' without ruining the original look.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've finally gotten round to getting all the green stars in Galaxy 2. It was great fun. Just one left in the form of a regular star making it 242 but it involves finishing the Grandmaster Galaxy without taking a hit. Need to find some inner zen peace before attempting it

Galaxy 2. Still brilliant.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Got 100% achievements on Castlevania Anniversary Collection (XBSX). For a series I’ve never previously got on with I can at least say I enjoyed most of this collection of games. Still don’t think I’ll enjoy the later ones but might give them a chance again at some point.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)
14/04 - Drakengard 2 (Ending A)
28/04 - Drakengard 3 (Endings A-D)
02/05 - Rain
10/05 - God of War: Chains of Olympus HD
15/05 - God of War: Ghost of Sparta HD
24/05 - NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139... (Endings A-E)
08/06 - Final Fantasy XV (NG+)

Really enjoyed revisiting this. It reinforced my admiration for it, despite its flaws. The atmosphere, freedom of exploration, art design, soundtrack, and the combat are all still great. Despite its many quirks, it just eats up time, compelling me to keep on going and spend more time in this world. The dynamic between the main characters is great, and the ending manages to tie it all together in a really emotional and impactful way, despite it being rather messy in a lot of areas. I think I have soured somewhat on the later linear parts though. Originally I didn't really mind them, since it felt like a much needed picking up of the pace in terms of story, although I still preferred the early open world sections. This time I have to give them a bit less slack. While the Altissia section is still really good, and even the start of the train section I think stands up as a strong character development, after that it becomes painfully clear how much the game is rushing through stuff where it just doesn't have anything to show. Things that should be big story moments fly by like nothing, and Chapter 13 is pretty tedious. At least it makes up for it in the final moments though.

Speaking of, the additions from the Royal Edition DLC were really good. I've talked before about the addition of Armiger Unleashed, that vastly improves that mechanic by adding a lot of complexity to it. But also I really liked the additions that were made to the final moments of the game. Without spoiling too much, the final dungeon is made way more interesting with much more going on. There are even other characters to meet and sidequests to do within it. And there are some new bosses added to the final gauntlet that help connect the plot of the game to the lore, even bringing things full circle with the Kingsglaive CG movie. It also provides some great moments for the party members that feel like a nice conclusion to their arcs.

I was intending on trying to clear up stuff I never saw before on my original run too, endgame and otherwise. I've done a decent chunk of it already, which has lead to my third ever platinum trophy, but now I've got endgame stuff left. The game forces you to wait until this weird post-game Chapter 15 to do some of this, so now I've started messing around here. The way it works is so strange though, which has thrown a spanner in the works. It acts just like returning to "the past" like you can do earlier in the game, but for some reason it resets all of your sidequest progress, including your hunter rank. Yet some quests and hunts are only available in this chapter, so all that time I put in to hunts before now were a waste it seems, and now I have to go through all them again...

But anyway, I still like this strange game a lot. It's one with a whole lot of flaws, but it manages to overcome them. While all the new additions and DLC over the years have made it a better and more comprehensive experience, it didn't necessarily make it a more cohesive one. But it's one of those games were you can tell it has a lot of heart, and despite very obviously bearing the scars of a tortured development, it's still got a spark to it that shines really brightly, and I can't help but love it.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Haunted Castle - Arcade - No Death

Video gone up on Patreon today, will probably hit general in a week.

Really happy with it, nice to get the clear and will try different roms/difficulty settings live in the weeks to come!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/52300634
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

OneCreditBen wrote: June 9th, 2021, 6:10 pm Haunted Castle - Arcade - No Death

Video gone up on Patreon today, will probably hit general in a week.

Really happy with it, nice to get the clear and will try different roms/difficulty settings live in the weeks to come!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/52300634
I’m even more pitiful at this than I am at Ghouls ‘n Ghosts. I’ve never got past that breaking wall about 30 seconds in! As always, hats off to you sir.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Thank you very much. It's one of those games where you've really got to take it apart piece by piece, as there's so many places where you can just die really suddenly, and only having one life doesn't help.

I'm going to be making my way through a few different regional variations in the weeks to come, should be a lot of fun! I like the idea of trying to do it live on a stream, like we did with R-Type.