ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The videogame music thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Instant timewarp to 1996.
crownhead55

Post by crownhead55 »

After getting into the Dreamcast's interesting and out there library of games in 2021 I came across this NTSC-J (Japan) exclusive title called Lack Of Love. A sort of spiritual predecessor to SPORE where you aid a small creature through it's life and watch it evolve. This is a track called 'Dreams'. This is the extended edit, it's the sort of thing that I just never, ever want to end - stunning! :P

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Nice pick!

I've been playing Pokémon Crystal on and off since the podcast episode but this is a track from the only newer Pokémon game I've played, Pokémon Sun.

Route 10 on Ula'ula Island (to give it its full name) by Minako Adachi and Go Ichinose is just this grand bombastic adventuring theme, opening with the brass, letting the strings have a go and then, my favourite part, the piano. I always stopped to air piano that bit.

shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

crownhead55 wrote: May 25th, 2021, 8:37 am This is a track called 'Dreams'. This is the extended edit, it's the sort of thing that I just never, ever want to end - stunning! :P
this is great d|-_-|b
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

With the day that's in it, the Sonic the Hedgehog credits medley!

I remember finishing Sonic Generations and, as that game was the 20th anniversary, thinking that Sonic Team better have started the credits the same way.

Didn't let me down.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

The Neo The World Ends With You demo released yesterday. The title screen tune is this laid back funky number.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

(Early warning: This is a very self indulgent post where I post 6 versions of the same tune.)

I've played a lot of Wonder Boy over the last 18 months and the most recent games (the Dragon's Trap Remake and Monster Boy) had great soundtracks but the Mega Drive soundtracks (Wonder Boy in Monster World, Monster World 4) were much more hit and miss.

However there is a theme that plays either at the final dungeon or close enough to it in all the games. It just gets me ready in a 'Ok, last level, let's do this!" kinda way.

From very quick research, it dates back to Wonder Boy: Monster Land (aka Wonder Boy 2).

I never played the original Master System version of Dragon's Trap but here's the theme anyway. Given its story starts at the end of Monster Land, the tune appears at the beginning and end of the game.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is the first Wonder Boy game I played in this run. I mentioned above that the soundtrack was hit and miss but this immediately stood out, so when I heard it in other games it felt great. Its the tune for the second last dungeon in this one (the final dungeon is another standout from that game that got a brilliant cover in Monster Boy)

Monster World 4 wraps it up in its Arabian Nights setting.

The Dragon's Trap remake has two versions for the beginning and end of the game. I prefer the first version. The soundtrack as a whole has nice instrumentation.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom has a brilliant soundtrack and this guitar led version is my favourite of the bunch.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Bastion is one of my favourite videogame soundtracks and even if you don't intend to play the now 10 year old (Christ!) game, the soundtrack is worth a listen. Spike in a Rail is a level theme from the middle of the game.

I really enjoyed Tom's interview with Darren Korb as well.

I also came across this on Youtube which includes previous Sound of Play guest Insaneintherain.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I recently bought a PS5 and waited for a while at Astro's Playroom's PS5 menu screen listening to Memories of Play.

While themes aren't a thing on the PS5, I would love an Astro one with this track to give the menu some constant, calm, non-obtrusive music (the music already there is almost too ambient). I used to keep a Final Fantasy XIV theme on my PS4 because The Waking Sands fit the same criteria.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I played a bit of Super Hang-On on the Mega Drive back in the day. I had another go at it in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I still only tried the Beginner Africa course but Outride A Crisis is a nice tune.

The video is an extended looping version. I think the loop is about 2:15 in.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Posted this in Whatcha Been Playin' thread, but I think the Secret of Mana OST deserves some love here so I'm posting it here too.

Other highlights:

Get into the adventuring mood:

Oh dear, what's lurking in this haunted forest?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NVOJCixPQ

Ahhhh! Boss fight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGrIuj6YbRg

Return to the village victorious and have a break from all that madness with this cheery number:
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Mabuchi dropping a big menacing beat for his boss battle.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Sanctuary in the Glades is the theme for the Wellspring Glades settlement in Ori and the Will of the Wisps. A relaxing theme as the player takes a short break from those enemies, spikes and other dangers.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Is is just me or does Moon Over the Castle get way too little love? Maybe because this version was only in the Japanese version of GT4.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Was GT5 the first time it was in a game in the west?

This is the boss theme for Fortified Zone on the Game Boy. A game that I never heard of until Ben's stream earlier this evening.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I've never played Journey to Silius (or heard of it), but I've been digging this remix. More knowledgeable people will have to tell me if it's a good reinterpretation or not.

Necromas

Post by Necromas »

In honor of Sora for Smash I figured it'd be a good time to share some Kingdom Hearts music.

This performance does a wonderful job of bringing in medleys of a lot of different nostalgic tunes from across the series. I didn't really get into Kingdom Hearts for real until pretty recently so I didn't really have a chance to see them perform, but I would kill to get to see them live. Fortunately it's looking like the series will keep going strong so hopefully I'll get that chance.

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Its been years since I played Final Fantasy XIV, but I've always gone back to the FATE battle theme, Hard to Miss. FATEs are spontaneous missions that happen in the open field and Hard to Miss is used for the large single enemy boss encounters. Its just a big pumping track to get everyone in the mood.

(I couldn't see a version without footage, I think SE didn't allow that sort of thing for a good while.)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Well, its winter (and in Ireland winter traditionally starts in November, so we're well into it), so its a good excuse for a snowy tune.

The Frostlands from Octopath Traveler has a really nice piano melody but also captures the stillness I associate with snow covered lands through the rest of its instrumentation.

(Also this video loops for an unnecessary 42 minutes)
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Tomorrow begins the sixth year of my annual month-long blog about video game music, with 2023's installment taking selections from Sound of Play's storied history. If you want to revisit some selections the hosts and community found especially interesting, or just need to waste a few minutes in the workday, it can be found here.