Pokemon Legends: Arceus

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Truk_Kurt

Pokemon Legends: Arceus

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Wanted to create a thread for Pokemon Legends Arceus.

How have you been finding it? Any cool disocveries to share? etc

I picked this up at the weekend, it wasn't a game on my radar at all until I saw the reviews. The last Pokemon I played was Black on DS then had a large break before trying Sun last year, but I fell off it after thinking that the template hadn't changed enough for me and so thought Pokemon was no longer a game for me. However, I fell for the reviews and picked up Arceus and so far I have been very impressed. There are lots of improvements to the formula which make it much more of a pleasure to play. My favourite changes are the reserach tasks for the each Pokemons Pokedex entry, the more interesting side quests and the fact that random battles are now optional. I really like seeing the Pokemon just roaming around the environment too, it really is how I imagined a 3D version of Pokemon in my dreams as a kid playing Blue. I got a huge thrill when I first saw a massive Raspidash roaming the world yesterday who i know I can come back to later to take down Monster Hunter style :)
D_Of_Shoreham

Re: Pokemon Legends Arceus

Post by D_Of_Shoreham »

I bought it for my 7 year old at the weekend. She was a huge fan of Sword and Shield but I think it's going to take a while for her to readjust for this game. That tutorial opening of the game is far too long for her at 20+ mins long. Take ages before you are allowed to just go out on the field and start catching.

I personally think it looks beautiful (for the Switch) and I love the Feudal Japanese inspired design of the world right down to the hand-crafted wooden Pokeballs. I also appreciate the change in combat system. This new one feels very fluid much like a modern FF game or Dragon Quest. The check list based mission structure is very addictive. We are not too far into it yet but yeah, I can see myself enjoying this game a lot.
Truk_Kurt

Re: Pokemon Legends: Arceus

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah I would agree with you on the tutorial, it felt even longer than 20 minutes before I was given free reign.
Switchsayer

Post by Switchsayer »

I've been playing Pokemon games since Red/Blue. My favourites are probably Gold/Silver and X/Y.

I have played about 10 hours of Legends and I think it's amazing. The games have been crying out for a refresh from the old 'battle the gym leaders, do the Elite Four thing' for years. The sheer joy of being able to just explore each of the massive areas and free-throw Pokeballs to capture the critters is what I've dreamed of for years. The changes they've made to the way Pokemon evolve (no longer automatic), and being able to swap out moves when you want are massive quality of life changes the series has been crying out for. I love being able to just chuck a Pokeball at a tree and watch my Pokemon give it a good WHACK and harvest the berries for me.

The game world itself is the only downside- pretty sky but crappy textures and some ugly terrain. I would hope next time they improve on the world and give it the polish it deserves. But the overall game is a breath of (the wild?) fresh air. This is the direction the series needs to pursue! No going back.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Switchsayer wrote: February 1st, 2022, 11:40 am I've been playing Pokemon games since Red/Blue. My favourites are probably Gold/Silver and X/Y.

I have played about 10 hours of Legends and I think it's amazing. The games have been crying out for a refresh from the old 'battle the gym leaders, do the Elite Four thing' for years. The sheer joy of being able to just explore each of the massive areas and free-throw Pokeballs to capture the critters is what I've dreamed of for years. The changes they've made to the way Pokemon evolve (no longer automatic), and being able to swap out moves when you want are massive quality of life changes the series has been crying out for. I love being able to just chuck a Pokeball at a tree and watch my Pokemon give it a good WHACK and harvest the berries for me.

The game world itself is the only downside- pretty sky but crappy textures and some ugly terrain. I would hope next time they improve on the world and give it the polish it deserves. But the overall game is a breath of (the wild?) fresh air. This is the direction the series needs to pursue! No going back.
Yeah I agree with all of this. I also love seeing the massive red eyed Pokemon roaming around I know I can come back to later. Everything you do with the Pokemon feels worthwhile as it contributes to the research tasks in the Pokedex, so you always feel like you're making progress. I love the side missions too, it makes it feel more like an RPG.
I echo your thoughts on the textures though, I can only think what the next Pokemon game will be like on the next Switch!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

As someone who's been a Pokemon fan pretty consistently since like the very beginning, I think Arceus seems really interesting. I have difficulty dropping $80 on this game - Nintendo is just so aggressively greedy with their pricing lately that I can't justify supporting them. But I do intend on renting this one from my local game shop, maybe in like March or April when there's copies in stock.

The way they've done the whole, "You move around independent of your Pokemon while they do their thing" mechanic is damn close to my dream scenario of how a Pokemon game could work. That said, the game does seem really grindy, and the bad graphics are definitely going to make it difficult to get invested in this world.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

In motion in handheld at least, I honestly don't think the graphics are that bad and with regards to grinding, it's there but to me it's not as bad as other Pokemon games and a lot better than any other JRPG I have played.