Bringing back your favourites... Which is it?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Mr Ixolite

Re: Bringing back your favourites... Which is it?

Post by Mr Ixolite »

KissMammal wrote: February 16th, 2022, 9:41 pm I guess I mean that Crash was one of those series that was never top tier in terms of reviews, even at the time. Always a solid 7/10 sort of game, and I don't think it was ever really held up favourably alongside the likes of Mario 64. I played the demo (that came with Tekken 2, IIRC) but never cared for it. It's one of those platformers with twitchy, rather weightless and imprecise feeling controls, and the difficulty was also a big turn off. Has 'running towards the screen' as a mechanic ever been fun in a game?
Huh, I can only speak for the Danish PSX magazine, but Crash always scored quite highly here. Being colored by the bias of growing up with the games, I still largely prefer control of Crash to that of 3D Mario; I can see how the "frictionless" feel of Crash can be a turnoff, but I always feel like I could land him on a dime. The "running at screen momnets are certainly notorious, but subjectively I can't say I ever minded them - I wonder if it is another case of PAL games being just a bit slower and thus more forgiving?

As for personal wishlist, I'd absoæutely be down for a revisit of the Ape Escape IP - big open levels full of things are all the rage now, and Ape Escape would be a great fit.

Beyond that, we recently got the remasters announced but I'd love for there to be an actual new Klonoa game, and a Megaman 9 style revisit of Mega Man X (with SNES style graphics!) would be great.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Cornelius_Smiff wrote: February 18th, 2022, 11:18 pm UT with Instagib was all sorts of batcrap fun on a Saturday night with mates and a few beers. Still think the Overlord lmapon UT is still the best ever first time playing a map in Multiplayer history for me. "Fook me it's a beach landing!" :P
I know what you mean, really loved the Assault game type - don't think I've seen anything like it since. It really felt like an intense beach landing!

I was really into UT - used to play for the UK team on Clanbase in the iCTF ladder when I was a young un. Never played a multiplayer FPS with such strong map design (except maybe Counterstrike).

So yeah, let's have a remake/remaster please!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Alex79 wrote: February 18th, 2022, 4:10 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: February 18th, 2022, 1:34 am
KissMammal wrote: February 16th, 2022, 6:13 pm

Define 'easily accessible'.

I remember a few months back Square were teasing new versions of the classic 8/16bit Final Fantasy games (presumably using the original graphics and fonts rather than the 'enhanced' versions commonly available) but only on Steam and mobile(?).
Well it's available on the Switch Online, and it's easily to emulate, so it's not very hard to find and/or play.

It's also massively overhyped. It's a good game, but so massively overhyped that I'm glad some other games are getting a chance to shine.
Chrono Trigger isn't available on Switch Online.

I'd say the only version readily available now is the one for mobile, although DS and PS1 ports also exist, but no idea how easy they are to get hold of now. There aren't many options for playing it on contemporary devices. Emulation is the only viable option outside of the mobile port unless you have access to old consoles.

Yep. I'd argue that Chrono Trigger has never been widely available in the UK outside of the inferior mobile port a (now rare) DS port and a PS1 port cursed with slow loading times.

And to add to that - retro RPGs are the exact kind of game that I'd only ever want to play on a portable, and are a perfect match for a system like the Switch, making its omission all the more glaring. Modern features like the ability to speed up gameplay is also very desirable in a game like Chrono Trigger.
Beyond that, we recently got the remasters announced but I'd love for there to be an actual new Klonoa game, and a Megaman 9 style revisit of Mega Man X (with SNES style graphics!) would be great.
That would be neat. We're so overwhelmed with Metroidvanas nowadays it would be nice in Megaman-likes got a similar treatment. One of my shameful gaming confessions is that I don't really like the original run of Mega Man games. I didn't grow up with them so find them punishingly difficult to play nowadays. Mega Man X is wonderful though, is far more forgiving difficulty wise and holds up superbly. Would love to see a revival or reimagining of that series.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

KissMammal wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 10:44 pm
Yep. I'd argue that Chrono Trigger has never been widely available in the UK outside of the inferior mobile port a (now rare) DS port and a PS1 port cursed with slow loading times.

And to add to that - retro RPGs are the exact kind of game that I'd only ever want to play on a portable, and are a perfect match for a system like the Switch, making its omission all the more glaring. Modern features like the ability to speed up gameplay is also very desirable in a game like Chrono Trigger.
Chrono Cross has never been re-released. Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana and Grandia had never been re-released.
There are a ton of good rpgs that deserve a re-release before Chrono Trigger gets another one. I'd like to see some more unreleased 16 bit era games first, like Treasure of the Rudras and some of the older Megaten games like the original Devil Summoner on the Sega CD, now that Soul Hackers 2 is coming.

Chrono Trigger is one of those games that gets talked about so much that it gets to the point where it becomes overrated. Like Half Life or Ocarina of Time.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chrono cross is still available on the PSN store to download on vita and ps3. The options for Chrono trigger are an expensive DS port or a terrible iOS version in UK. From my perspective a port of the superior trigger and more difficult to play game is more desirable.

In terms of stating half-life, ocarina of time and Chrono trigger are overrated is a factually incorrect statement.
They are groundbreaking parts of gaming history which were received critical and publicly as some of the best and most important pieces of media of all time. In many respects they don’t really compare favourably to the more modern games they inspired but that doesn’t mean they are overrated. Few would say in 2022 that ocarina of time is superior to Breath of the Wild but perhaps the latter wouldn’t exist without the former.

I’m not entirely sure whether you played those games at the moment of their release but even if you didn’t enjoy them it’s not hard to understand why the majority did.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd love the straight up SNES original of Trigger to come to Online. I've started that game so many times. Actually owned the US cart for the SNES with an adapter, bought the DS one, played the PS1 version, and still never got more than a few hours in. I'd like to play Cross too, but would want to play Trigger first.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Simonsloth wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:38 am In terms of stating half-life, ocarina of time and Chrono trigger are overrated is a factually incorrect statement.
Lol, no it isn't, not in the slightest.

Also you may get your wish for Chrono Trigger after all.

https://nintendosoup.com/square-enix-co ... -2d-style/
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The concepts of "overrated" and "underrated" are fundamentally flawed in that they only reflect the perception of the person who uses the word(s).

Exactly how a piece of art or entertainment should be 'rated' (whatever that even means) is entirely unquantifiable, nebulous and subjective. They're pretty much completely banned words on our podcast for these reasons; no one person gets to decide where a game's worth definitively exists.

In short, other people liking something more or less than you do, does not mean that thing is empirically "overrated" or "underrated", it just means other people like that thing more or less than you do.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Sorry Leon. You’ve articulated what I meant in a much better way.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

ThirdDrawing wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 12:50 am
KissMammal wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 10:44 pm

Chrono Cross has never been re-released. Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana and Grandia had never been re-released.
There are a ton of good rpgs that deserve a re-release before Chrono Trigger gets another one. I'd like to see some more unreleased 16 bit era games first, like Treasure of the Rudras and some of the older Megaten games like the original Devil Summoner on the Sega CD, now that Soul Hackers 2 is coming.

Chrono Trigger is one of those games that gets talked about so much that it gets to the point where it becomes overrated. Like Half Life or Ocarina of Time.

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Simonsloth wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 5:53 pm Sorry Leon. You’ve articulated what I meant in a much better way.
No need for apologies!
🙂
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Where on earth is that Goldeneye remake then? It looked like a sure thing not so long ago!!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Apparently a reveal is coming soon. I think I heard sometime in March?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 12:50 amChrono Cross has never been re-released. Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana and Grandia had never been re-released.
Would be great to see some more unknown stuff, too. Alundra on the PS1 is another I'd like to see get a lick of paint.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

dezm0nd wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:25 pm Where on earth is that Goldeneye remake then? It looked like a sure thing not so long ago!!
I’d love to see that! Part of me thinks it’ll be an E3 announcement in a sort of “available tonight” drop!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 4:47 pm The concepts of "overrated" and "underrated" are fundamentally flawed in that they only reflect the perception of the person who uses the word(s).

Exactly how a piece of art or entertainment should be 'rated' (whatever that even means) is entirely unquantifiable, nebulous and subjective. They're pretty much completely banned words on our podcast for these reasons; no one person gets to decide where a game's worth definitively exists.

In short, other people liking something more or less than you do, does not mean that thing is empirically "overrated" or "underrated", it just means other people like that thing more or less than you do.
Okay, let me put it this way. I think Chrono Trigger is talked about as an RPG, and as a subject for ports, to such an amount that it is to the detriment and exclusion of a lot of games that are also deserving of ports and re-examination. And that is a shame.
KissMammal wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:05 pm I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here.
I hope the above rephrasing makes it clearer.
Alex79 wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 8:35 pm Would be great to see some more unknown stuff, too. Alundra on the PS1 is another I'd like to see get a lick of paint.
100% agree with this. I've heard the sequel is not nearly as good but I've never played it. Would love a double release like the Grandia 1/2 or upcoming Klonoa 1/2 packs.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I remember there is an infamous level in Crash 1 set on a bridge and you have to make very precise jumps on rickety planks of wood to navigate it. If the landing space for jumping is smaller in the remaster then I can imagine this level could be especially nasty. Again, really eager to try the trilogy remaster to see how I gel with it but several other titles will probably be taking precedence for my gaming time this year. Definitely will get around to it eventually though!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Rhaegyr wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:34 am
Cornelius_Smiff wrote: February 18th, 2022, 11:18 pm UT with Instagib was all sorts of batcrap fun on a Saturday night with mates and a few beers. Still think the Overlord lmapon UT is still the best ever first time playing a map in Multiplayer history for me. "Fook me it's a beach landing!" :P
I know what you mean, really loved the Assault game type - don't think I've seen anything like it since. It really felt like an intense beach landing!

I was really into UT - used to play for the UK team on Clanbase in the iCTF ladder when I was a young un. Never played a multiplayer FPS with such strong map design (except maybe Counterstrike).

So yeah, let's have a remake/remaster please!
I loved UT, but really got the bug for UT2004 - particularly the Assault gametype (at one point was in the top 100 in the world, at least according to the leaderboards ...). Was never in a clan but played almost exclusively with Omnipotents for most of the three years (until UT3 came out and the franchise sank ...)

Other titles I've love to see would be Prince of Persia, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis and going even further back Lords of Chaos from the days of the ZX Spectrum. And from a slightly more recent era, I'd love a sequel to Split-Second Velocity ...