Basketball (NBA/BBL)

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Basketball (NBA/BBL)

Post by Alex79 »

Does anyone here like watching basketball?

So a couple of years ago NBA 2K20 was dirt cheap on Switch, only a couple of quid, so I snapped it up. I'd kind of enjoyed basketball games in the past, but never really understood how to play them properly and used to run around trying to tackle everyone which of course results in giving a foul more often than not.

So, given we were in full on OG lockdown at the time, I thought I'd learn it properly. Watched a load of tutorial videos on YouTube and ended up getting really in to the game, playing over 80 hours of it in the end.

At some point that year the NBA playoffs were happening, and I watched a game on TV. It was genuinely one of the most exciting sports I'd ever seen. Fast paced and almost always went down to the last few seconds of a game before the result was decided.

Anyway, I decided I liked Miami Heat in that first round of the playoffs because they were the lowest seeded team in the tournament and I wanted to support the underdog. Turned out they ended up getting to the final and losing to the Lakers, but I really enjoyed the whole ride.

It's now a couple of years later, and Miami won the Eastern conference and go in to the playoffs as number one seed. For some reason though they're not showing any of their games on TV in the UK this round, so I ended up getting a week's trial of the NBA League Pass. It's a fantastic app, available on console and mobile, and has HD broadcasts of every game of the season, in full game, highlights and super quick recap. You can choose from three or four different commentaries too. I think I'm going to carry on subscribing for the playoffs at £14.99 a month and probably will do most years now. Best of all, I can pay through my Google Play account which is about £35 in credit at the moment because of doing surveys and stuff (seriously, download the Google Rewards app. I get about £2-3 a week from it, which doesn't sound much but I've not paid my own money for an app in over four years!)

Anyway, all of the above is largely irrelevant, I just wondered if anyone follows the NBA and is watching the playoffs at the moment?
Kos or some say Kosm

Re: Basketball (NBA/BBL)

Post by Kos or some say Kosm »

Huge NBA fan here. Been a Pistons fan for a long time. I remember watching the entire playoffs in 2004 when we won the championship. Stopped watching for a few years but have watched heavily over the last 4 years. Got league pass and watch as many games as I can. My pistons have stunk the last 5 years but are finally young and exciting so I’m full of hope for them!

Looking forward to this season coming up as i think there are 6-8 legitimate title contenders! Can’t wait!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah nice - will be good to have someone to talk to about it, haha. Looking forward to seeing what Heat can do this year. I was worried we were trading Herro out but it looks like he's staying put, which I'm pleased about. I don't have the league pass all year round, but I get it for the playoffs and will likely dip in and out throughout the regular season whenever I can afford it.
Kos or some say Kosm

Post by Kos or some say Kosm »

Alex79 wrote: September 16th, 2022, 8:49 pm Ah nice - will be good to have someone to talk to about it, haha. Looking forward to seeing what Heat can do this year. I was worried we were trading Herro out but it looks like he's staying put, which I'm pleased about. I don't have the league pass all year round, but I get it for the playoffs and will likely dip in and out throughout the regular season whenever I can afford it.
How are you liking the season so far? The heat have struggled so far but I feel like they are due for a big win streak.

My pistons are injury riddled but are putting up a fight and are competitive most nights. Bring on the tank fest for victor wembanyama! If you haven’t seen this kid you should look him up asap. He is guaranteed #1 draft pick for next season. 7foot4 that dribbles like a guard, shoots 3’s & block a lot of shots!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah not really a good start at all for Heat! I've not paid for the League Pass yet, I probably will when the world cup finishes, so I've only been watching games broadcast on UK TV, of which there have only been two Heat games so far! Been watching my two other second choice teams though a bit more, Celtics and the Pelicans.