How is C and R enjoying the Steam Deck?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

How is C and R enjoying the Steam Deck?

Post by chase210 »

In case you haven't heard of the steam deck somehow

The Steam Deck is a handheld gaming computer developed by Valve and released on February 25, 2022. The Steam Deck can be played as a handheld or connected to a monitor in the same manner as the Nintendo Switch. It is an x86-64-v3 device with integrated gaming inputs designed to play the full Steam library, including Windows PC games via the Linux-based Proton compatibility layer. The system is an open platform, allowing users to install other compatible titles on the device or other operating systems such as Microsoft Windows.
I made a steam account specifically for this, because I love portable gaming and this looked right up my street. It was delivered 3 weeks ago, so I've had a fair bit of time with it, and I love it. There was a slight learning curve in there, such as having to download community templates to make certain games work at all. But once it clicked, it really clicked.

Some games definitely work better than others. I was really looking forward to the 3D sonic games for example, and they all ran somehow poorly, though I understand thats a software issue and not the deck itself. Half life 2 on deck is the best experience I ever had playing that game. Ace Combat 7 is incredible, as is the master chief collection, and GTA V, Jedi fallen order. The console itself is very big, and feels very heavy, in a good way in the hands. I'm looking forward to trying out even more stuff, and maybe even some emulated stuff depending on how easy it is to do.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: How is C and R enjoying the Steam Deck?

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think of the podcast crew, only Chris has one so far.
I hear that the screen quality is fine but a little underwhelming?

I've just ordered an Evercade EXP so I'm not currently in the market, but I'll be keeping my eye on revisions for sure!
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

I am looking to move internationally in some years, so I'll be very interested in revisions, especially with the Epic Store supposedly playing nice with the device.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:34 pm I think of the podcast crew, only Chris has one so far.
I hear that the screen quality is fine but a little underwhelming?

I've just ordered an Evercade EXP so I'm not currently in the market, but I'll be keeping my eye on revisions for sure!
It's definitely not as nice as the switch OLED, but I don't think its horrible or anything. It's very bright at least.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I'm mad at myself for waiting until January to reserve one, I'm still months away, and the list of PC games I'd love to play but am not willing to sit at my desk for is getting longer by the day.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I’m down as Q3 so hopefully I’ll be getting one sooner rather than later. It’s my most anticipated console since the Vita. I think I’ll tackle some games in my library I’ve yet to start but also might treat myself to the new XCOM style Warhammer game to test a more demanding game on it.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I like handhelds, but haven't looked at getting one of these yet. I do wonder if its the sort of thing that Valve would look to incrementally improve say every 2 years or let it run 5/6 years like a console's lifespan.