The 5 Best Games Released in 2022 (and the Most Disappointing)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

The 5 Best Games Released in 2022 (and the Most Disappointing)

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Bonjour fellow Caners and Rinsers,

I present to you, in reverse order, my 5 favourite games released in 2022:

5. Pokemon Scarlet
While often feeling like a woefully unoptimized alpha build, Pokemon Scarlet still manages to present the most compelling single-player campaign the series has offered in a decade.

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Toitles: Shredder's Revenge
Simply, the best Turtles game since Turtles in Time, and an incredibly well-polished beat 'em up that, while perhaps a bit overlong, is a great time.

3. Sonic Frontiers
While it has its problems, Sonic Frontiers is the most pure fun I've had with a video game in a long time, and the new focus on navigation puzzles vs. twitch platforming is a welcome innovation for the 30+ year old series.

2. The Quarry
Well not the absolute best Supermassive title, it's an incredibly polished and engaging "choose your own adventure" horror flick with fantastic world building and top-notch acting.

1. The Chant
A worthy addition to the pantheon of truly great Survival Horror games, The Chant honours established genre mechanics while introducing an incredibly refreshing setting and rarely-seen spiritual themes - all with gorgeous graphics, to boot.

Most Disappointing:
Horizon: Forbidden West
For those who listened to the excellent Cane and Rinse episode where I gave commentary, you will know that the original Horizon: Zero Dawn is almost a sacred game to me. Instead of building on that incredible world, Sony and Guerilla have decided to present a narrative that is louder, dumber and utterly absurd, even for a world with robot cows. A ludicrously overlong, padded and outrageously dull game, Horizon: Forbidden West is the epitome of outdated game design and derivative SyFy Channel storytelling.

What did you think, lads, and ladies, and none-of-the-aboves? What games were your top 5 releases (and 1 least favourite) GOTY nods amongst 2022 releases?
raisinbman

Re: The 5 Best Games Released in 2022 (and the Most Disappointing)

Post by raisinbman »

Most disappointing was definitely chrono cross. Not even sure what my top 5 would be but MTGA(but also in paper MTG), Marvel Snap, Persona 5 Royale(not from that year, but I do think it hit PC that year), FF7:Integrade, Guilty Gear Strive

Dishonorable mentions: KOFXV

I might have to think a bit more, but the back half of this year has been a whirlwind that didn't involve games sadly
Simonsloth

Re: The 5 Best Games Released in 2022 (and the Most Disappointing)

Post by Simonsloth »

I genuinely loved The Quarry. A reversal of the seemingly downward trend of the supermassive releases since until dawn. I loved the story, felt my choices were not obvious and their impact on the story were unpredictable. Thoroughly unexpected.