Dragon's Crown / Pro

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Dragon's Crown / Pro

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Dragon's Crown / Pro for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
T-BirD

Re: 558: Dragon's Crown / Pro

Post by T-BirD »

A side-scrolling brawler similar to Golden Axe but with RPG elements and loot, single player Dragon's Crown Pro kept me busy until I'd seen the dwarf's ending (1 of 6 possible characters), and I'm done with it. It's fun while it lasts, the art is gorgeous (though problematic if you don't buy into the hyper-exaggerated vision of genre tropes...and at times even if you do), and it features lots of nods to other games and media in the genre.
The main problem with Dragon's Crown is that anytime the screen gets a bit busy, it becomes very difficult to tell what's even going on anymore. Also, the rune-magic system is terrible on PS4, in large part due to the camera constantly shifting during inputs, but thankfully it's optional most of the time.
I have little doubt it would be a good choice for beer and pizza 4-player couch co-op if you have the opportunity to play it like that.

3 word review:
What's going on?
Alex79

Re: 558: Dragon's Crown / Pro

Post by Alex79 »

T-BirD wrote: January 15th, 2023, 1:58 pm The main problem with Dragon's Crown is that... the screen gets a bit busty...
Fixed that for you.

Sorry.

I'm sorry.

Anyway... Dragons Crown - I don't have a great deal to say about this game, but I played it on Vita back in the day and my gosh it really is a beautiful game. The graphics really shone on that Vita screen. My main issue with the game was that it wasn't what I wanted it to be, but that's not the games fault. I'd have loved a linear, arcade style brawler set in that world with those visuals, but what I actually got was more akin to a 2D action RPG with plenty of grinding and repeating stages which for whatever reason didn't really gel with me. I think there was probably a good game in there, but without the instant gratification that came with the gradual character building and loot system I lost interest fairly quickly.

Looking back, it may well be worth a revisit before the show.