Fighters Megamix

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Fighters Megamix

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Fighters Megamix for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
ashman86

Re: 564: Fighters Megamix

Post by ashman86 »

I was a Sega diehard growing up, which meant, of course, that while my friends were falling in love with Tekken, I was all about Virtua Fighter as my preferred 3D fighter. I was never very good at that game, but I loved it nonetheless, so much that I wrote off Fighting Vipers as a knockoff one day when seeing it in a rental shop and never even gave the game a shot.

And then Fighters Megamix came out, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A crossover between Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers? What a foreign concept to my adolescent brain. Of course I had to give it a go.

As it turned out, Megamix was a blast to play: clunkier than Virtua Fighter, but it made up for that in variety. I even found myself being drawn more and more to Vipers characters who had armor that could be broken and seemed superior to me as a result.

Over the course of a week's rental, I committed myself to unlocking all of the characters in the game, which is ultimately the biggest draw Fighters Megamix can offer, I think. Fighting as the car from Daytona? Unforgettable. And I remember thinking that Janet from Virtua Cop was overpowered since she had a gun. It was also Megamix that first introduced me to the existence of Sonic the Fighters with that, um, iconic fighter: Bean the Dynamite.
Seph

Re: Our next podcast recording (9.4.23) - 564: Fighters Megamix

Post by Seph »

When I first got my Saturn for Christmas of 1996, it was a second hand one that came with a big pile of games. One of these was 3D fighter called Fighting Vipers, which was a game I'd never heard of but the look and cover appealed to me. This ended up being the first 3D fighting game I ever got into and I enjoyed the armour breaking attacks and powerful ring-out charge moves. As a reader of the official Sega Saturn Magazine (still the best gaming mag ever produced), I stumbled across a preview for this sequel-of-sorts and I knew it was my next game.

I was aware of the Virtua Fighter series, but at this point I had only played the first one with its overly polygonal graphics and floaty jump mechanic so I wasn't as interested in that. However, the idea of meshing two fighting games together was exciting enough for me to give this a go.

In my opinion, it's the best fighting game on the Saturn, which is a bold claim considering this console's reputation in that genre. Not even the fighting car or the odd inclusion of Sonic the Fighters characters (and ones that no one has heard of) ruined the experience, if anything these oddities only make it more appealing. I unlocked everything and I remember playing it a little too much sometimes. I definitely unlocked the palm tree logo, so I know I played it that much. The character I was always drawn to was the unlockable Rent-A-Hero. I don't know if it was because he played like a Fighting Vipers character or the crazy Robocop style look, but whenever I did try this on multiplayer that was also my go-to.

I haven't played the game since my Saturn days, so all of this might be hazy nostalgia and the game might handle like crap compared to games now. I'm curious to hear how the show hosts talk about it after a revisit. For me, I want to leave the memories alone...unless you all say it is still one of the best games ever and I'll have to track down another copy (as I sold my original one because I'm an idiot).