572: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we'll be covering in our current volume of podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

572: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
ashman86

Re: 572: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Post by ashman86 »

Every once in a while, I get the itch to play a specific kind of Star Wars game that can only be satisfied by replaying KOTOR from start to finish. The last time that occurred was in the lead up to the release of the The Rise of Skywalker when my personal hype levels for Star Wars was as high as it had been since I was a kid waiting in line to see The Phantom Menace. We don't have to get into how badly TROS let me and the whole saga down.

There's a great deal about KOTOR that will probably feel outdated to modern gamers, but it's hard to overstate just what a phenomenon it was upon release. I was already a BioWare fan by this time, after falling in love with Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, but the studio was all but unknown to my console-bound friends. It put the developers on the map (or at least a larger map) and paved the way for the success of games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age years later.

I remember KOTOR gripping nearly all of my friends and me in an addictive stupor that didn't relent until we'd rolled credits.

One of my favorite memories is being over at a friend's house while his older brother was in the living room playing the game. Although it was mid-afternoon, he hadn't so much as showered for the day and was fixated on the screen. His very pretty fiance at the time asked him how much longer he'd be, to which he replied he wasn't sure. Then, she leaned over and whispered something in his ear.

He waved his hands and said, "later," and she walked away rolling her eyes. To us--a bunch of teens--that was, perhaps, the highest praise a game could ever receive.