Formula One

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Truk_Kurt

Formula One

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Do we have any Formula One fans here. What did you make of the first race?
Rhaegyr

Re: Formula One

Post by Rhaegyr »

Bit of a casual fan, like the games more than watching the races nowadays.

Found it dissappointing - already looks like Red Bull's to lose, the gap between that car and everyone elses seems huge. Still, early days!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah, although it looks like the race for 2nd could be exciting as Aston Martin look really good.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Agreed - seeing Alonso on the podium was fantastic. God knows he's been due a decent car for far too long.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah, I found it really funny how he was almost driving around the track whilst having a casual conversation with his team on the radio about what was happening elsewhere in the race. And then when he just told them "this car is really nice to drive". They said on commentary that someone once said of Alonso that he uses 25% of his brain for driving the car and 75% for everything else happening on the track and I can totally see that.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I've watched F1 since I was a kid.

The Red Bulls look like they'll win the season while taking it easy like the mid-2010s Mercs. I've taken a far greater interest in the midfield since that Mercedes dominance started.

While I'm obviously happy for Alonso to be up near the front in the Aston Martin, the former Jordan team, I've had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about that team since Lawrence Stroll bought it and parachuted his boy in there at Ocon's expense. We'll see how they handle development over the season.

Ferrari should end up second but reliability could be a concern. Mercedes seems like a bit of a mess right now, I can't really tell where their season will go from here.

In midfield, Alpine look like a solid clear fifth ahead of the rest, though they're obviously disappointed by it. They just have to stop making dumb mistakes and they'll stay well clear of the Alfas.

The Alpha Tauris look particularly poor this year.

Sadly the next race is Saudi Arabia, a mixture of two things I don't like, a sponsorship driven location in an oil state AND a street circuit. :cry:
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

The Red Bulls really do look on another level to all the other cars, the way Max was able to to just breeze pass the Mercs like they weren't even there.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Like most things in life, the Formula One fanbase is rife with people complaining that it isn't as good as it was a few years ago (and so on)....but it's almost hitting a breaking point for me. Sure, the Merc dominance a few years ago was a little tedious, but gave us flashes of brilliance and the occasional surprise winner. Plus, I think Hamilton is a decent bloke and a great person to hang the sport on, now it's headlined by the most unlikeable driver since young boy Vettel (who has had the greatest redemption arc since Theon Greyjoy).

I'm a big Checo fan and it's great to see him in the top team after so many years of graft; however, seeing him play second fiddle and supposedly be subservient to a complete dickhead is something I'm finding tough to follow. Red Bull seem to have placed everything in the Max box and if their second driver wasn't as consistent and top tier as he is they would struggle to win the constructor championship. AlphaTauri is a joke now, too; whether through negligence or terrible management. I think it shows how poor your youth programme is when you have to scout other teams to fill a position in your main line-up.

I've been watching since I was young and my dad always had it on TV at the weekends and while it's the main sport I watch and follow every year, I have to admit since it was booted off free TV and seems to be a prolonged trailer for an increasingly naff and bullshit Netflix series it's been in decline.

The highlight so far this year has been Alonso's return to the top of the grid and how much fun he's having in every race. After years of piss-poor decisions and team changes, he's finally been given his flowers. I'm mainly watching to see if he can pick up a win this year, but unless Red Bull have a double failure in a race I can't see it.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Seph wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:01 am Like most things in life, the Formula One fanbase is rife with people complaining that it isn't as good as it was a few years ago (and so on)....but it's almost hitting a breaking point for me. Sure, the Merc dominance a few years ago was a little tedious, but gave us flashes of brilliance and the occasional surprise winner. Plus, I think Hamilton is a decent bloke and a great person to hang the sport on, now it's headlined by the most unlikeable driver since young boy Vettel (who has had the greatest redemption arc since Theon Greyjoy).

I'm a big Checo fan and it's great to see him in the top team after so many years of graft; however, seeing him play second fiddle and supposedly be subservient to a complete dickhead is something I'm finding tough to follow. Red Bull seem to have placed everything in the Max box and if their second driver wasn't as consistent and top tier as he is they would struggle to win the constructor championship. AlphaTauri is a joke now, too; whether through negligence or terrible management. I think it shows how poor your youth programme is when you have to scout other teams to fill a position in your main line-up.

I've been watching since I was young and my dad always had it on TV at the weekends and while it's the main sport I watch and follow every year, I have to admit since it was booted off free TV and seems to be a prolonged trailer for an increasingly naff and bullshit Netflix series it's been in decline.

The highlight so far this year has been Alonso's return to the top of the grid and how much fun he's having in every race. After years of piss-poor decisions and team changes, he's finally been given his flowers. I'm mainly watching to see if he can pick up a win this year, but unless Red Bull have a double failure in a race I can't see it.
Yeah, the Max dominance is not great to see. I think if it carries on into next season that F1 will do something about it as no doubt viewing figures will drop if every race is just Max or a Red Bull winning.

I can only speak honestly and each to their own but I actually really like Drive to Survive, I know they might manufacture some of the rivalries but I appreciate how it just reminds me of events that happen through a season and gives air time to some of the teams and drivers lower down the grid. I watch each season as they are released but I can see myself returning to earlier seasons in like a decade to relive seasons.

Alosno's and Aston Martin rise has been the most interesting part of this season I agree, I have also found it fascinating to see just quite how far Mclaren have fallen.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Truk_Kurt wrote: May 12th, 2023, 9:15 am Alosno's and Aston Martin rise has been the most interesting part of this season I agree, I have also found it fascinating to see just quite how far Mclaren have fallen.
Yeah, I'm getting massive flashbacks to the Button/Alonso days of McLaren, but as both guys were eyeing up retirement they didn't really care. While they haven't won the constructors' championship since 1998 (I was surprised when I looked that up), they're a legacy team that was traditionally in the mix, like Ferrari. I don't think they'll have a Williams fall, but I can see them dropping behind Haas at this point if they don't make changes.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Not a huge fan of F1 now days, i watch it if i catch it. I have seen all the drive to survive series and thats really interesting to see the behind the scenes aspect. I work in the composites industry and we build parts for various F1 teams so i think due to them stressing me out with their short lead times it makes me not like the sport more lol. I just wish it wasnt so precise, they seem to have lost the rawness in the sport. But im a fan of Redbull as they are based where i live and i have a soft spot for Mclaren
Workyticket

Post by Workyticket »

Seph wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:01 am Plus, I think Hamilton is a decent bloke and a great person to hang the sport on, now it's headlined by the most unlikeable driver since young boy Vettel (who has had the greatest redemption arc since Theon Greyjoy).
I guess that makes Max the perfect heel - impossible to like, but you can't deny his talent which makes him even more insufferable! When his name comes up in the Team Radio box on the TV coverage, it should really have a 'WHINGE INCOMING' banner. That lad has such a punchable voice.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

He once visited the Codemasters office with his Dad, seemed like a pretty normal kid, unsurprisingly he was very good at the game :D
Workyticket

Post by Workyticket »

Apparently he's a big sim racer, basically spends all of his time not in a real car on iRacing. So no wonder why he always seems 'on'.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Fun fact, a few years ago (I used to remember the exact year but can't remember now) Max was ranked in the top 25 FIFA players in the world. He still plays now too, according to Chris Horner he played for 14 hours over the course of the US Grand Prix weekend.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Second half of the season incoming; is anyone expecting any surprises outside of Max romping his way to a third title? Looks like the ‘best of the rest’ competition could get fun, especially if McLaren’s recent improvement isn’t a flash in the pan.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote: August 24th, 2023, 5:24 pm Second half of the season incoming; is anyone expecting any surprises outside of Max romping his way to a third title? Looks like the ‘best of the rest’ competition could get fun, especially if McLaren’s recent improvement isn’t a flash in the pan.
Not sure on any big surprises but I think the revival of McLaren should mean the race for 3rd is interesting against Aston Martin. I think the big story will be how Perez does the rest of the season as his position looks under threat.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Ended up being an interesting race with the stop start rain. Albon continues to get better and better.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

What a win for Sainz! Very happy for him and to not see any Red Bull on the podium for once this season. I think it would've been a little embarrassing for the sport had a Red Bull (specifically Max) had won every race this season. Also really pleased for Lawson, apparently he's the first driver to score their first points at Singapore.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Gunther Steiner, team principal at Haas has left :(

The news surprised me as I read his book last year and it seemed he was very close with the team owner Gene Haas and he has brought a lot of publicity to the team with his unique personality. I think it's harsh too as Haas seem to have had more bad luck in races than other teams. I hope he turns up somewhere else but I think it's more likely he will go back to rallying. Netflix must be gutted!