Switch Recommendations

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
therealdeadaim

Switch Recommendations

Post by therealdeadaim »

Hi,

Apologies if there's a similar thread, couldn't see it when I searched.

I recently got a switch, which is my first nintendo since SNES days. Played through mario 3d world and got broswers fury up next. Aside from the obvious switch games (zelda, LM3, Mario Odyssey) what else should be on my radar? (including older games are the virtual console).
Alex79

Re: Switch Recommendations

Post by Alex79 »

Ah man, this is such a broad thing, what sort of stuff are you in to? Some personal favourites that might not get mentioned so often, and are mostly cheaper indies, are:

Horace
The Last Campfire
Portal Collection
Q-Yo Blaster
Hollow Knight
Hotshot Racing

I don't know, there are dozens really! Some bigger name games that are great on Switch are:

Divinity Original Sin 2
XCOM 2
No Man's Sky
Borderlands Collection
Bulletstorm
Dark Souls

But again, there are so many!
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

In terms of exclusives:

- the Mario + Rabbids duology
- Cadence of Hyrule
- Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! if you have someone to play with

For the NSO libraries, don't overlook Fire 'n' Ice and Kurukuru Kururin, though the latter is only available if you get the Expansion Pack.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Shinsekai is a must-play Switch exclusive no one talks about.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Second the Mario + Rabbids games, although I thought the first was better. Kirby and the Forgotten Land was one of my top 3 games of last year. Yoshi's Crafted World I really liked and if you enjoyed the Captain Toad parts of Mario 3D World, then check out Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The Bayonetta games and Astral Chain are some really good action experiences. The former are some of the best action games in existence. The latter takes a while to get going but when it does it's a really unique and fun game.

Splatoon 3 is also a great time as well. It's a very cool take on online shooters that has a great sense of style and some real competitive chops. At least once you unlock the ranked modes. It also has a great co-op horde mode too. There is a single player campaign, and while it's also good, it's fairly short as it isn't the focus of the experience.

The No More Heroes series isn't exclusive to the Switch, but it started on the Wii, so playing them on a Nintendo console gives them a bit more authenticity, as well as letting you use the motion controls as they worked on the Wii. They're a bunch of cool, idiosyncratic action games that have a bit of a scrappy but stylish edge to them.

Metroid Prime Remastered just came out, and that looks to be a very impressive version of a game that is a solid classic. There's also Metroid Dread, which I haven't played, but heard good things about.

The Hyrule Warriors games are worth a look too, even if the idea of that style of game doesn't immediately appeal. I only played the first one though, which I can say is good. The second one I've heard positive things about as well.

Fast RMX on the eShop is probably something to look at too if you're in to futuristic racers. I played the Wii U version, and had a blast with it. I think the Switch version has some kind of additions and tweaks to it, but it's mostly the same game.

There's also the Devil May Cry series that got ported over. They're widely available elsewhere, and comparatively expensive on Switch due to being sold individually. But on the other hand, the Switch version of DMC3 has a feature that no other version has, letting you change fighting styles on the fly rather than having to swap them out at checkpoints or between chapters. The only other way to get that is to mod the PC version.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

If you like crunchy arcade shooters, Hell is Other Demons is a really fun time. Some of the most satisfying single-screen gameplay I've played.

OVERWHELM is a really cool action-horror arcade-y shooter that nails an Aliens-like atmosphere really well, and is fantastic solo and in co-op.

Lonely Mountains Downhill is a great game that functions both as a time-trial/high-score chase, and a relaxing chill-in-nature sort of thing.

Just Shapes and Beats is a fun bullet-hell rhythm-y game if you like electronic music it is a blast with friends.

Ikenfell is a Paper Mario-esque JRPG, and one of the only JPRGs that I've stuck with to the finish and thoroughly enjoyed the whole time. Great art and music and characters.

The Red Strings Club is a really cool narrative game that makes you think about life/society and has great vibes

Return of the Obra Dinn is one of the coolest puzzle experiences I've had. Great fun trying to solve it all with a friend.

Inscryption is a really cool rogue like card game that nails atmosphere and has a full story that ends.

Some others worth mentioning that get a lot of praise in their respective genres:
Celeste
Dicey Dungeons
Streets of Rage 4
therealdeadaim

Post by therealdeadaim »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Lots to go on.

Did even realise games like streets of rage were on nintendo, thought they were still family friendly.

Think I'll give Mario + Rabbids a go, I've got XCOM2 on steam and have nearly 1k hours on it so will give it a pass...Are there any more turn based strat games?

Obra Dinn has been on my wishlist for a while too, will check that out.

Are there any gamecube classics on the eshop I missed out on at the time?

Splatoon 3...Is it still fun if you are just playing with randos?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nintendo kinda dropped the family friendly thing about 30 years ago when Doom and Mortal Kombat II landed on the SNES. There were loads of brawlers too, and a number of horror games (notably Resident Evil remake and RE4) debuted on Nintendo consoles.

You can even get some pretty dodgy Hentai games on Switch if that's your thing!

Into the Breach comes recommend as a TBS, not to mention the Fire Emblem games. Advance Wars Reboot Camp out in four weeks as well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hard West is a western TBS X-Com style game too, and it's often under £2.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

therealdeadaim wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 7:31 pm Are there any gamecube classics on the eshop I missed out on at the time?
Unfortunately not. Nintendo doesn't really sell old games on the eShop anymore. That kind of stuff has been rolled in to the online subscription model, kind of like Game Pass. Currently it only offers from NES up to N64 games, with the latter only available at a higher sub tier. They might add GC games later, but I think it's pretty unlikely by this point.
Yes, very much so. There are pretty extensive progression and ranking systems that give you a lot of incentive to keep going at it. It also has seasonal content that updates every three months to keep the game fresh.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

therealdeadaim wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 7:31 pm Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Lots to go on.

Did even realise games like streets of rage were on nintendo, thought they were still family friendly.

Think I'll give Mario + Rabbids a go, I've got XCOM2 on steam and have nearly 1k hours on it so will give it a pass...Are there any more turn based strat games?

Obra Dinn has been on my wishlist for a while too, will check that out.

Are there any gamecube classics on the eshop I missed out on at the time?

Turn based strategy wise there is Steamworld Heist and Invisible Inc.