Resident Evil 4 (2023)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Caligulas Horse

Re: Resident Evil 4 (2023)

Post by Caligulas Horse »

markfm007 wrote: March 12th, 2023, 9:10 am Played through the demo yesterday on PS5 and really enjoyed it! Looks amazing, runs smoothly and feels great. Movement and shooting have weight without feeling overly cumbersome. The village section is really well done, very intense and made me aware of my limitations, both with the controls and being outnumbered. I spent most of my time running around like a headless chicken! Got a few good leg shots and kicks in. Part of me wants to play it again and fix some of my mistakes, use my supplies more intelligently and get more comfortable with the controls. Think I'll save it for the full game though.

I've been really impressed with the previews for this game, and the demo has only increased that. I normally admire horror from a distance as I don't like being scared. As thrilling as the village section is as a game, it also leaves me feeling kind of drained and miserable due to the panic. It's not a big deal or anything but it means I tend to be selective. There's a balance to finding something that is scary enough to be exciting, but not so bad that I'm not enjoying it. This game seems to sit in that wheelhouse pretty well, and everything I've seen of it looks awesome, so I'm looking forward to trying it.
Not sure if you already played the original (?), but I've always found that first section to be the most anxiety inducing part of the game because you're so badly equipped (literally and figuratively) for an encounter like that. It isn't as much of a panic once you've made some progress, picked up and tuned up some weapons, and have a better feel the combat. Dying a lot probably helps, too!
Caligulas Horse

I've just gotten to the bit
Spoiler: show
with two blind claw-hand dickheads at once
and yeah, this game is awesome. Some sections play out more or less the same, but there's enough shuffled around, added in, or even cut, that I'm never sure of exactly what to expect. And I have finally pulled off a suplex, so basically it's GOY no debating.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Caligulas Horse wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:51 pm Not sure if you already played the original (?), but I've always found that first section to be the most anxiety inducing part of the game because you're so badly equipped (literally and figuratively) for an encounter like that. It isn't as much of a panic once you've made some progress, picked up and tuned up some weapons, and have a better feel the combat. Dying a lot probably helps, too!
I've tried the original but didn't got on with it. It's very tense, especially that early. It was a little better for me because I knew I just had to survive long enough, but it goes on longer than you think! I've been playing all week, I've made it to chapter 12 now. I'm absolutely loving it. Feeling much more confident, but the game continually ratchets up the tension and challenge to match, it's great.
Caligulas Horse

markfm007 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 10:24 pm
Caligulas Horse wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:51 pm Not sure if you already played the original (?), but I've always found that first section to be the most anxiety inducing part of the game because you're so badly equipped (literally and figuratively) for an encounter like that. It isn't as much of a panic once you've made some progress, picked up and tuned up some weapons, and have a better feel the combat. Dying a lot probably helps, too!
I've tried the original but didn't got on with it. It's very tense, especially that early. It was a little better for me because I knew I just had to survive long enough, but it goes on longer than you think! I've been playing all week, I've made it to chapter 12 now. I'm absolutely loving it. Feeling much more confident, but the game continually ratchets up the tension and challenge to match, it's great.
Ah, nice one! I'm not far behind you and totally agree.
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

Bit gutted that this game makes me feel so ill. I've not bought it but tried the demo several times with motion settings and same end result.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Will Marley wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:31 pm Bit gutted that this game makes me feel so ill. I've not bought it but tried the demo several times with motion settings and same end result.
Ah that sucks. Not had it with this, but I went decades with the only game to make me feel like that being Half Life 2, but I've found in recent years, perhaps the older I've got, I'm getting it more frequently now, even with games I've played before. I got it terribly with Skyrim on Gamepass a couple of months ago. Was really looking forward to diving back in to that game, but got terrible nausea and headache as I was playing.
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

Alex79 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:51 pm
Will Marley wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:31 pm Bit gutted that this game makes me feel so ill. I've not bought it but tried the demo several times with motion settings and same end result.
Ah that sucks. Not had it with this, but I went decades with the only game to make me feel like that being Half Life 2, but I've found in recent years, perhaps the older I've got, I'm getting it more frequently now, even with games I've played before. I got it terribly with Skyrim on Gamepass a couple of months ago. Was really looking forward to diving back in to that game, but got terrible nausea and headache as I was playing.
Very similar here, mate. It's defo got worse as I've got older. I kind of brute forced it with Elden Ring because I loved the game so much but even that made me feel shite at times.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Sorry to hear about the motion sickness! I know FOV and motion blur can often play into that. I adjusted them and increased the camera speed, more for my own preference. If the pre-registered settings aren't doing it though not sure what would help.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Because I'm a tight ass and will wait for a sale or Gamepass, I've been playing the original version on Switch this week. It's been well over a decade since I last went through this game, the last time being on Wii. It's amazing just how brilliant the original still is, it's barely dated at all, and with a HD makeover looks almost contemporary! The only gripe is the bit where you play as Ashley, but fortunately it's quite short. I'm quite far in I think, from what I remember, just reunited Leon and Ashley after she's pinched in the castle. The only parts I can remember from here on in are the enemies where you need the thermal scope and some underground sandy temple type place (!?) Very much enjoying it, anyway.
Caligulas Horse

Alex79 wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm The only gripe is the bit where you play as Ashley, but fortunately it's quite short.
Yeah, they've really improved on that section in the remake imo.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Caligulas Horse wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:34 am
Alex79 wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm The only gripe is the bit where you play as Ashley, but fortunately it's quite short.
Yeah, they've really improved on that section in the remake imo.
My memory is awful, I was remembering that she was only with you for a couple of areas tops, but she's actually with you for most of the game! It just sucks that she can't fight anyone and you just have to run away from all the baddies. Doesn't spoil the game, but it does just drop it down from perfection in my view, if only because every time I replay it now I'll be thinking that bit is a drag.
CormoranStrike

Post by CormoranStrike »

I think the remake is brilliant, but I do have a little quibble with the difficulty settings. I thought they weren’t explained very well.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

I've only played for a short while - I'm up to the lake monster.

Seems pretty good so far - it looks cracking, shooting feels satisfying and I like how they've changed little things here and there to keep you on your toes.

My main gripe is that it's far too similar to the RE2 Remake - namely the inventory, menus, title screen and just the general 'feel' of it. Makes sense being in the same engine but I hoped they would've pushed the boat out further for the RE4 remake.

The little sidequests stick out like a sore thumb too. Telling me I need to kill 3/3 rats is a complete immersion breaker.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Interesting. I was actually pleased and surprised by how far they went away from the UI template compared to the RE2 and 3 remakes. I wanted some continuity - especially being able to use d-pad shortcuts for weapons which I don't think many would argue isn't a big improvement over the original - but brilliantly they retained the vintage RE4 attache case system, when they could have easily gone down the RE2 (2019) or even RE6 routes.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

What do people think of it having chapters split with stats screens rather than a seamless flow like in Dead Space? I quite liked how it was a constant flow experience in Dead Space remake, but I can see the other side of the argument too.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Played a bit more of this and really getting into it now - they've really managed to nail the tension and anxiety I felt when playing the original for the first time.

Still struggling with the parry though - not mechanically, I just panic when a villager or monster gets that close and try to empty a clip into them instead.
Caligulas Horse

Rhaegyr wrote: April 13th, 2023, 9:45 am Played a bit more of this and really getting into it now - they've really managed to nail the tension and anxiety I felt when playing the original for the first time.

Still struggling with the parry though - not mechanically, I just panic when a villager or monster gets that close and try to empty a clip into them instead.
I had a similar issue except for me it was that I kept forgetting I had it as an option unless it was flashing on screen for the chainsaw attacks. I probably need to make a conscious effort to do it until it becomes my standard reaction.
Caligulas Horse

CormoranStrike wrote: April 4th, 2023, 3:28 pm I think the remake is brilliant, but I do have a little quibble with the difficulty settings. I thought they weren’t explained very well.
Lol I did feel like they were throwing down the gauntlet with that "choose this if you've played Resident Evil 4 before" on hardcore mode. But tbf it was actually the right level of challenge for me.