Xbox Series S stick drift

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Xbox Series S stick drift

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone had this? Had my Xbox coming up two years in August and the controller has developed stick drift in the right stick. Makes playing any games with camera control incredibly frustrating. Has anyone found a way to fix it, short of just buying a new pad?

What's going on now? We had decades of controllers with no drift and now we have Switch, PlayStation and Xbox all suffering from it. Those things aren't cheap!
Magical_Isopod

Re: Xbox Series S stick drift

Post by Magical_Isopod »

All three console makers use the same supplier for thumbsticks, and this supplier has something of a monopoly on the market. If you're comfortable taking it apart, you should be able to get a stick replacement for like $10 on Amazon or whatever. Not expensive. Usually doesn't require any soldering, but I can't vouch for the SX controller.

I have had really good luck with my SX controller and JoyCons, but all 3 PS5 controllers I've owned had this horrible squeaking/grinding feel with uneven friction in the sticks. Two of them unfucked themselves after a few hours, but one I had to pay $15 to RMA. For the price companies are asking for these controllers, the quality is not there to match...
Alex79

Re: Xbox Series S stick drift

Post by Alex79 »

I may give it a try. I swapped out the thumb sticks on my Vita a couple of times, hopefully can't be any more complicated than that. I suppose you probably also need a special screwdriver...!