Games Completed 2023

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2023

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show

03/01 - The Last Campfire
05/01 - Splatoon 3
17/01 - Wolfenstein (2009)
22/01 - Fragments of Euclid
02/02 - Postmouse
08/02 - Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (Kung Lao)
26/02 - F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
06/03 - Omensight: The Definitive Edition
09/03 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
21/03 - Forza Horizon 2 (first finale)
25/03 - Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
31/03 - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (World Tour)
01/04 - The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
12/05 - The Sword of Etheria

This is a game I have known about for a long while, and have given a shot before, but only bothered to go through completely now. It’s a hack-and-slash from Konami, that was curiously only released in Japan and Europe. It also shares a lot of the technology and talent from the PS2 Castlevania games. It’s supposedly based on The Wizard of Oz too, but only in an extremely loose sense.

The unique hook here is that you play with a party of other characters, and you toss enemies between each other, continually juggling them in the air to build up energy to do powerful special attacks. It can be pretty fun, but it’s very one-note, and outside of that single gimmick nothing else about the game is well constructed. It can be genuinely satisfying to pull off a really long string of juggling an enemy, and getting the payoff at the end of the big flashy move. But the mechanics are pretty shoddy all around in a way that makes it not feel great to play, and can often feel like they’re not really up to what it expects of you. Even though it doesn’t actually ask that much. Controls feel really sluggish and unresponsive, there’s a lot of end lag on many moves, the reach of your weapon is poor, and there is hardly any depth to your abilities. The camera is also achingly slow, which can be a real problem when you need to see stuff flying at you.

I discovered a patch for the emulator that allowed this game to run at 60fps, and I think that definitely helped a whole lot to make the gameplay more tolerable. It was still clunky and stiff, but at least with the better frame rate it looked a bit smoother, and maybe helped me judge the timing for things better too. Having that, as well as the ability to exploit save states liberally probably did a lot to help me push through and actually finish this thing.

Levels are very bland too. It’s usually just a string of nondescript rooms in a cave or something like that. There’s not much going on, and no sense of place to any of it. In a sense though, you could probably say that the levels in the PS2 Castlevania games share a similar construction and level of geometric complexity, but they manage to be much more interesting because the Gothic aesthetic means that textures can be used to give locations much more character and detail. No such saving grace here. The visuals of this game are not very pretty. At least when it comes to the 3D assets. Some of the 2D character portraits and chapter title cards are actually pretty nice to look at. Shame they couldn’t bring out that look in the game itself.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - The Witcher 2 (Xbox)
JAN - Ori And The Blind Forest (Switch)
JAN - Shinobi III (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Sonic Spinball (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Super Fantasy Zone - 1cc (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Death's Door (Switch)
JAN - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES on Switch)
JAN - Final Fight (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - The King Of Dragons (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Goldeneye 007 (N64 on Switch)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)
FEB - Mafia 2: Remastered (Xbox)
FEB - As Dusk Falls (Xbox)
MAR - Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition (Switch)
MAR - The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA on Switch)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
APR - Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
APR - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
MAY - Dishonored 2 (Xbox)

Quite enjoyed this. Stealth went out the window in the last couple of missions though as I rushed towards the end. I did a Corvo playthrough. Not sure if I enjoyed the first game better though, I think it had more memorable locations and I liked Sam, the boatman, as well as the pub home hub area. The story in this was a bit empty, but overall it was alright and glad to actually finish a game for the first time in a while!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Death's Door - Series X.
(Jan) Warhammer: Chaosbane SE - Series X.
(Feb) Evil West - Series X.
(Mar) God of War Ragnarok - PS5.
(Mar) Dead Space(2023) - Series X.
(Apr) Ben 10: Power Trip - Series X.
(Apr) Resident Evil 4(2023) - Series X.
(May) Ghostwire Tokyo - Series X.
(May) Ravenlok - Series X.
(May) Turrican - PS4.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Splatoon 3
02/02 - Postmouse
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
22/05 - Lost Planet 3

This game feels like a very “2013” game. It tries really hard to go for a very cinematic aesthetic that focuses on narrative and presentation over gameplay. In some ways it’s actually quite impressive. It’s got some fantastic visuals, particularly with the environments and characters. The weather and lighting effects especially are really well done, and some of the locations you visit can be quite awe-inspiring at times too. But the story itself is pretty boring. It feels like it’s going through the motions and nothing really matters.

Gameplay leaves something to be desired too. Very laborious and stodgy, while also being clunky and shallow. I don’t mind that so much when piloting the big mech, since that’s supposed to be a massive piece of hulking machinery, and the game does a good job of selling that. But the on-foot combat is just as bad, with wonky aiming and bad encounter design as well.

I get the sense that this game was made with a genuine vision though, and the devs were trying hard to make it the best they could. But while the way that vision is presented on a surface level is commendable, it lacks the substance underneath to make is a compelling experience at its core.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 22 - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Switch)
Feb 8 - Live A Live (Switch)
Feb 22 - Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Steam Deck) (Feb 23 - Best Ending)
Mar 1 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS5)
Apr 30 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS5)
I played the originals around 2012-3 (2 first, the PS2 PAL version has a 60hz option, then 1 as a PS Classic which uses the US ROM) and loved them so I had to give the remakes a go. The games are still great 2.5D platformers. They might have too much story for some but I like the interactions between characters.

The remakes have a few issues, the sound quality isn't improved much from the originals so while the soundtracks are still great, the voice acting is particularly muffled on the first game. Klonoa 2 has one of my favourite soundtracks in a platformer.

The games look good but the first game has moved from pre-rendered CG scenes to in engine ones that do not have the same impact. Klonoa 2 was all in engine so doesn't have this problem. I may be wrong but Klonoa feels a bit slippery compared to the originals.

Great games, nice to see them updated.

May 19 - Final Fantasy XIII (Steam Deck)
There, I've settled a personal score. I've finished all the main number FFs except for the MMOs, and this is easily my second least favourite after FF2. The battle system's great for 30 hours and if the game was only that long I would think better of it. It looks nice and the music is good. PC port has tons of well documented issues though.

Characters go from ok to bad, the plot is forgettable and I stared ignoring it after a while. Oddly I didn't care too much about the infamous linearity. That moment when the world opens up late on was actually disappointing because I wanted to be directed towards the end of the game at that point.

May 22 - Dicey Dungeons (Steam Deck)
So I never expected to finish this. I started playing when it came out and dropped it after about 2/3rds of the game but then started playing some runs early this year. Basic concept is a turn based rogue-like where you gain abilities that you can active in battle using the dice that are rolled on each turn. Each character (6) plays differently and each round (also 6 to total 36 plus the final round) plays with the rules, except for the 4th round which just makes things have more health and hit harder (guess where I dropped it first time). Clever ideas but not just enough to keep my attention without dropping it for 4 years.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Death's Door - Series X.
(Jan) Warhammer: Chaosbane SE - Series X.
(Feb) Evil West - Series X.
(Mar) God of War Ragnarok - PS5.
(Mar) Dead Space(2023) - Series X.
(Apr) Ben 10: Power Trip - Series X.
(Apr) Resident Evil 4(2023) - Series X.
(May) Ghostwire Tokyo - Series X.
(May) Ravenlok - Series X.
(May) Turrican - PS4.
(May) Spec Ops: The Line - Series X.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Splatoon 3
02/02 - Postmouse
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium

Incredible game. It definitely deserves its reputation as being one of the best RPGs ever made. A new favourite, although I still don’t really think I can do it justice myself. Good thing there are a bunch of video essayists out there who can put it much better than I can.

The writing is really amazing. Very gripping, with an evocative sense of prose, and well fleshed out characters around every corner. It’s unflinchingly political, not afraid of putting its cards on the table and challenging you, but also challenging its own ideas as well. It captures the complexities and messiness of the world, but without using that as a reason to equivocate things or abandon ideals. Although there is still a strong sense of sorrow and loss running through the game. Like it has something of the hauntological about it. Yet at the same time it’s full of humour and the desire for life. It’s frequently silly, poking fun at itself at times. Despite it dealing with a lot of heady and heavy subjects a lot of the time, it’s not dry in the least.

The sheer amount of writing is very impressive as well. How much of it is tailored to your own specific character traits, and how it manages to feel completely natural at the same time. Everything still flows really well, like every possible thing was accounted for. From talking to other people about this game as I was playing it, it sounds like it can also result in a very different experience depending on what skills you invest in too, which is even more impressive. It’s also a great incentive to replay the game and take a different build. The idea already sounds pretty appealing. Not to mention all the things I already know I could have done differently.

Although that does bring me to probably the only criticism I have of the game, which isn’t even a particularly big one. There are so many different things to put points in to, it can be pretty overwhelming trying to decide what to invest in. It’s hard to judge what might be useful beforehand, or whether its worth going down a certain path. I ended up not spending a lot of points, just because I didn’t know what to do with them. I think that made a few things in the last few hours of the game go worse than they could’ve. But there’s always next time.

It’s got great aesthetics too. It looks like a moving painting. It’s one of those games that can genuinely fool you in to thinking it’s 2D when it’s actually 3D. It has a rough, weathered look that exudes a sense of melancholy and world-weariness, but with just as much vibrant humanity as well. The character portraits and the icons for your various different mental skills are some of the best bits of the visuals too.

This really is a brilliant game that I’m very glad to have finally experienced. I wasn’t totally sure I would going in, despite having very high hopes from what I had heard about it. It managed to live up to them with flying colours however. A modern classic.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 22 - Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (Switch)
Feb 8 - Live A Live (Switch)
Feb 22 - Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Steam Deck) (Feb 23 - Best Ending)
Mar 1 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PS5)
Apr 30 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS5)
May 19 - Final Fantasy XIII (Steam Deck)
May 22 - Dicey Dungeons (Steam Deck)
May 24 - Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Steam Deck - GBA emulation)
I decided to try out one of the portable games in the Klonoa series. This is more of a puzzle platformer than the main series and is pure 2D. Klonoa has to collect 3 gems to exit a level. It makes some clever tweaks to the Klonoa formula to add the puzzle elements. It only gets tricky late on. Klonoa handles well. It looks a bit bland. A nice game though.
GKBracken

Post by GKBracken »

Fell in love with the GBA Klonoa games last year, the 2nd one ramps up the challenge a bit. The Wonderswan one is a banger too.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Good to hear that about the second GBA game. I think I might play through the whole lot of the series eventually, especially with Klonoa Heroes having a fan translation now (yes, I even want to play Beach Volleyball).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - Shock Troopers (Arcade on Switch)

I love the Metal Slug games. For me they epitomise the arcade and really signify the golden age of arcade games (although I'm aware plenty would disagree and I could be quite easily swayed) but I think Shock Troopers is even more fun than all of them. It's SNK at their absolute peak of arcade fun. A host of characters, varied routes through the game and loads of shooting. It's a classic, often overlooked in favour of the better known Slug series (and I've not played the second Shock Troopers game) but if you've never given this a try it's well worth the few quid it costs to download the Arcade Archives port.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

January 5th - Final Fantasy VII
January 22nd - Death's Door
January 25th - Citizen Sleeper
January 31st - Dead Space (2008)
February 5th - Dead Space 2
February 18th - Hi-Fi Rush
Feb 24th - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Mar 3rd - Gears of War 2
Mar 8th - Gears of War 3
April 1st - Resident Evil 4 (2023)
April 6th - Demon's Souls
April 26th - Resident Evil 4 (2005)
June 1st - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

I changed my mind and decided to finish the DLC. I don’t like to leave things unfinished if I can help it. Overall Dark Souls 2 was a frustrating experience. Bosses and levels are often underwhelming and over before they started. I repeatedly found myself thinking “that’s it?” Others are so infuriating they feel like a cruel joke, just sticking a middle finger in your face rather than actually making a decent level.

It’s also mechanically a bit jank in comparison to others. It’s flat out not fun to play until you’ve levelled up agility either - dodging is unreliable and healing is too slow. Playing the DLC is an interesting experience, because it’s probably the most the game actually felt like a souls game. It feels like the missing link between Dark Souls 1 and 3 that the rest of the game doesn’t. Its levels are larger, with layers, branching paths and shortcuts. Enemies are spaced at reasonable distances. Bosses are actually challenging.

I’m exaggerating a little, but as much as I preferred the DLC, it also felt very familiar. Dark Souls 2 for all its flaws does feel unique. It’s visually striking and frequently beautiful. It’s unpredictable and intriguing, and still has some memorable moments. I can see why some gravitate to it. It’s got a weirdness to it that’s fun to engage with, particularly after playing the other Souls games. I’m glad I played it, but I don’t think I’ll be going back. Maybe to Majula, or Heide’s Tower of Flame, just to stare at that gorgeous sea and sky.

I've made a list ranking my favourite From Software games too. Might change over time but I like doing stuff like this https://www.backloggd.com/u/markfm/list ... re-ranked/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Interesting. I loved Dark Souls 2 but couldn't get on with the DLC at all. I found it had some of the worst boss runs in any From game along with exponentially increased difficulty from the base game. I didn't manage to finish a single one of the 3 additional areas. The more flamey type place (I can't remember the proper names) was the worst one for me I think. It is interesting that even within the Souls games themselves feelings towards certain games, areas or bosses can vary wildly from one player to the next, even though they're all fundamentally very similar, mechanically.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Alex79 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:59 pm Interesting. I loved Dark Souls 2 but couldn't get on with the DLC at all. I found it had some of the worst boss runs in any From game along with exponentially increased difficulty from the base game. I didn't manage to finish a single one of the 3 additional areas. The more flamey type place (I can't remember the proper names) was the worst one for me I think. It is interesting that even within the Souls games themselves feelings towards certain games, areas or bosses can vary wildly from one player to the next, even though they're all fundamentally very similar, mechanically.
Definitely. The differences between them become more apparent the more of them you play. But you could also just pick up one and still get a reasonably similar experience with it. You don't really need to play them all, unless you really want to. I think all of them are a bit divisive in the genuine sense, rather than as a nice way of saying 'bad'. It just depends which elements click and which don't, and small changes can have a big impact.

I can understand that with the DLC. There were parts of it I skipped or where I used a walkthrough. It reminded me of Dark Souls 3, which I found a bit gruelling at times but still satisfying overall. Only boss run I had an issue with was Sir Alonne, and I just killed the enemies until they stopped respawning. Boring but effective, and a change that I liked in this game. That probably did end up being my favourite one though :lol: Worst one being the Frozen area, which was very pretty but had some spammy areas. I was ready to be done at that point too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My worst run was the blue Smelter Demon. Just awful, loads of hard enemies and some wizard things firing magic at you, and no shortcuts. I ended up brute forcing it and just waiting till the enemies stopped respawning!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - Dizzy The Adventurer (NES on Evercade)

Enjoyed this, my first Evercade completion from the Oliver Twins collection. This is a released for NES, slightly remixed version of Dizzy: Prince Of The Yolkfolk, which was available on home computers back in the day and was always my favourite Dizzy game. Looking forward to digging in to the rest of the collection.

Enjoying the Evercade so far. It's not perfect and I have a couple of small niggles, but it's really nice to use and I love the look of it. I've got a few carts now, and it's always exciting to get a new one and trying out a load of games you've not heard of before. They even did their own showcase last week which was pretty cool.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Alex79 wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:37 pm My worst run was the blue Smelter Demon. Just awful, loads of hard enemies and some wizard things firing magic at you, and no shortcuts. I ended up brute forcing it and just waiting till the enemies stopped respawning!
I didn't do that one, couldn't be bothered to fight a different version of the same boss. Glad I didn't now! :lol:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

May 23rd: Revenge of Shinobi a.k.a. The Super Shinobi (MD)

For da podcast!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Weird West (Series X, Game Pass) - 8th January
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Series X) - 5th February
Resident Evil: Revelations (Switch) - 12th February
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Switch) - 25th February
Resident Evil 3 Remake (Xbox Series X) - 6th March
Resident Evil 4 Remake (Xbox Series X) - 6th June

Fun! This is such a great trilogy of remakes now. Next I hope they do Resi 1 with this over the shoulder modern style.

The whole chapter with Luis proves that they really should do a more buddy cop style Resi game. It was the best bit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - Dizzy The Adventurer (NES on Evercade)
JUN - World Of Goo (Android)

I noticed that World Of Goo Remastered (it's exactly the same game...) had appeared amongst Netflix's offering of mobile games recently after it vanished from the app store some time ago, and took it as an opportunity to replay one of my favourite games (again!)

I really think World Of Goo is pretty much a perfect video game. Some brilliant ideas, with a gradual difficulty curve that is absolutely spot on. It looks lovely on my Fire tablet and the music is as great as ever. I imagine most people have played this by now, but if you've not and you have both Netflix and a tablet (I've completed it on phone before, but it's more fiddly) then you have to give it a go.