Games Completed 2023

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2023

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - The Witcher 2 (Xbox)
JAN - Ori And The Blind Forest (Switch)
JAN - Shinobi III (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Sonic Spinball (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Super Fantasy Zone - 1cc (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Death's Door (Switch)
JAN - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES on Switch)
JAN - Final Fight (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - The King Of Dragons (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Goldeneye 007 (N64 on Switch)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)
FEB - Mafia 2: Remastered (Xbox)
FEB - As Dusk Falls (Xbox)
MAR - Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition (Switch)
MAR - The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA on Switch)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
APR - Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
APR - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
MAY - Dishonored 2 (Xbox)
JUN - Shock Troopers (Arcade on Switch)
JUN - Dizzy The Adventurer (NES on Evercade)
JUN - World Of Goo (Android)
JUN - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)

Oh boy. Four years, 160 hours, 120 shrines and Calamity Ganon beat. What a game. What else is there left to say? Endlessly imaginative, the joy of exploring - I was still finding new things after 160 hours, I found an entire village within the last ten hours of my playthrough! Just an incredible experience. An all-timer. Wows.

(And the final battle was really good, suitably epic, certainly not the anti-climax many final bosses end up being!)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Was that the village on the beach on the south coast near the jungle? I found that one late on too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ColinAlonso wrote: June 10th, 2023, 8:05 pm Was that the village on the beach on the south coast near the jungle? I found that one late on too.
Yes! The little fishing village. Amazing really, all that time in the game and just never stumbled across it till right near the end!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

June 11: Jitsu Squad on Warrior difficulty (PC).

Played through it co-op with my dev partner over the weekend as we also met the guys of Tanuki Creative at the event we were attending.

Very fun Local Dutch beat 'em up, with Capcom Crossover (VS) inspired combat, expressive art and animation and tons of cool references for fans of arcade/action games.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show

03/01 - The Last Campfire
05/01 - Splatoon 3
17/01 - Wolfenstein (2009)
22/01 - Fragments of Euclid
02/02 - Postmouse
08/02 - Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (Kung Lao)
26/02 - F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
06/03 - Omensight: The Definitive Edition
09/03 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
21/03 - Forza Horizon 2 (first finale)
25/03 - Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
31/03 - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (World Tour)
01/04 - The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
12/05 - The Sword of Etheria
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
12/06 - Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition

Recently I dug out the old 360 to play some games that aren't available though backward compatibility on the newer Xbox consoles, and this was one of them. It was interesting to revisit this after playing the sequel. I always liked it before, but this time around I think that gave me a better appreciation for it.

There may not be much to the mechanics in terms of depth, and they are rather clunky, but it does still have the novelty factor of being a first-person brawler, and it's inherently satisfying to hit enemies, especially when you send them flying with ragdoll physics with a more powerful attack. First time around I found it somewhat poorly balanced though, and that the only thing worth doing was the sprinting heavy attack. This time around though I tried to actually make more use of the different abilities, and you can get a bit more out of it if you try. There is some depth there to apply skill to, albeit not much.

The story is pretty threadbare too, but this is where knowledge of the sequel benefits it. The central plot is really simple, but there are a bunch of weird and amusing characters you come across that don't really have any narrative significance, but do give a sense that this world has more going on in it than just this game. It's feels like this world has been thought out and has a lot it wants to cover, but it doesn't have the room to put them all in this small glimpse. It also has some ambiguous teasing at the end about what could come in the future. On its own it comes off as a bit of a non-sequitur, but having seen at least some of where it goes in the next game, the foreshadowing is more apparent.

But of course the art design is the main reason to play this game. That is related to the story too in a way though. Seeing this weird and surreal world is a lot of fun, and all the strange grotesque creatures that inhabit it. The tone is somewhat dreamlike, and it revels in its illogic. It's a cool place to be. Might replay the sequel again soon too. And hopefully one day I'll get to Clash: Artifacts of Chaos too.

14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]

For some reason this game has stuck in my mind ever since it first came out, despite never having actually finished it before, or even being much of a fan of it. But it does go to show just how much a game can be lifted up by simply having good movement mechanics. It’s kind of a cliché, but in this case it is absolutely true. It feels really good to simply move around in this game, so much that it can mostly carry the whole experience, as it doesn’t really do much else very well.

The super powered parkour is just so well done. You run at breakneck speeds while feeling like an unstoppable battering ram, and sprinting up the vertical walls of skyscrapers like it’s nothing. The mobility you have in the air is great too. Being able to glide and extend your time in the air with multiple dashes gives some satisfying nuance to what you do between leaping from building to building. It’s very freeing, and makes you feel powerful, but doesn’t go so far to make its own mechanics redundant. You still need to think about how you use your skills to make locomotion fast and fluid, so it’s rewarding to do it well. It can be a bit fiddly to get used to at first, but it doesn’t take long before you’re tearing around the city with style. It makes getting from place to place the highlight of the experience.

Everything else however is pretty lacking. The combat system is pretty flawed and messy. The game gives you a huge array of different melee powers and abilities, but most of them are not particularly useful. The game is extremely chaotic, and enemies will swamp you from all sides constantly, not giving you room to breath. Your own attacks feel kind of clunky, with some input lag, and dropping inputs quite a bit too. Trying to actually focus on an enemy and apply some level of skill to fighting them just isn’t possible. The game won’t respond to commands as quickly as you need it to, and you’re very likely to just get blindsided by something else in the process. It forces you to focus on hit-and-run tactics with only a few of your most powerful moves, or to just steal a tank or helicopter, which kind of defeats the point of having these supernatural abilities.

The main story is pretty uninteresting. Just a dull mishmash of self-serious but shallow military black ops and very basic level sci-fi concepts. It has a very post-9/11 influence, but it doesn’t do anything interesting with it. The characters are all boring and unlikeable, and the whole game has a grimdark edgy tone that has zero charm to it. And this is coming from someone who appreciates edgy stuff. The tone extends to the aesthetic too. This is a sort of ugly game. A lot of grey city blocks that take on a horrible orange tint when they get infected with the virus spreading through the city. The monsters that the virus creates also not being very imaginative, mostly just being pretty standard fleshy zombie creatures of various sizes. And of course the military aesthetic is pretty prominent too, something I find no appeal in. There is one piece of good visual design in the way your character’s body changes with the various different combat powers. Limbs turning in to black spiky tendrils or huge blades and such.

There’s also a pretty big emphasis on open world side missions here, but I stopped playing them after a while. None of them are that engaging, and they have a huge variance in their difficulty. Some are extremely easy, while other are obtusely hard. A lot of the more difficult ones are only so because they make you engage in the chaotic and sloppy combat, so it doesn’t really feel like your performance in them is down to something you could intentionally do well at. At least not without finding some cheap exploit to it. In the end I found a much quicker and less painful way to get the EXP needed for upgrades was to instead grind destroying enemy bases and infected water towers.

Even though there’s a lot to criticise in this game I can’t say that I hated it. Traversing from objective to objective, and even the movement you do during said objectives, is just so fun that I rarely felt like I wasn’t enjoying anything that I was doing in any given moment. It really does a whole lot of work to make this game engaging when everything that it links together is pretty underwhelming.

I never played the sequel to this game, but I am interested in doing so. I recall at the time it wasn’t received particularly well, even among fans of the first game. But I would like to see these ideas iterated on. And it does look like it got a pretty major graphical upgrade, so it might go some way to make it a bit more visually pleasing at least. I’m in no rush to get to it right away though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - Mega Man 2 (NES on Evercade)

This was good. The only other Mega Man game I've beaten is the first Mega Man X game on the anniversary collection on Switch. This seemed much shorter and not quite as difficult, but it was a lot of fun to play. Some absolute bullshit sections with just missing floors that there's literally no way of knowing before you run across them. I can see it being frustrating and a test of memory playing back on original hardware, but I made a save state at the start of each stage so was able to learn them eventually, but still, not a very fun idea to just randomly have floors that aren't really there! The only other Mega Man games on the Evercade are the original for NES and the first X game on SNES. I might give the first game another try now.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Splatoon 3
02/02 - Postmouse
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II

This is such a cool, weird little game that I like a lot. Playing it so close to the original this time really shows how much of a big improvement it is over that one as well.

Combat is improved quite significantly. Your abilities have been fleshed out, and it’s much more responsive to play as well. I still wouldn’t call it a particularly deep game, but there’s a sense that there is something that you can get better at if you practice at it. More emphasis on longer combo strings that take some degree of timing to pull off. There are some sub weapons now too that add a bit of variety to things more than just a basic grenade like in the first game. Some are more useful than others, granted. But the chain is really useful for crowd control, and another which gives you the ability to link two enemies together so that whatever you do to one happens to the other is pretty fun as well, especially when you launch them both in to the air and send them flying. The whole concept of the gameplay here is still has the novelty factor, but this time it’s actually got more to sink your teeth in to beyond hitting enemies feeling good. Which it also does better than the first as well.

The world of the game is massively expanded in a very cool way too. It’s a big interconnected world rather than just a string of small linear levels. You get to see so many new and interesting places, and get a really good sense of how this world is structured. It makes it feel like a much better realised setting. Digging in to the kind of thing that was only hinted at in the first game. It’s also fun to revisit places from the original to see how they look here, and where they were supposed to be located in this larger setting.

And of course the visual design of all those places is just fantastic. So many surreal, breathtaking, strange sights to behold. With much more colour, detail, and variation than the first game. It really nails it when it comes to imaginative, strange, and impressive locations and character designs. I remember the first time I played through this I compared it to walking through a series of the wildest prog rock album covers, and it’s hard to think of a better way to put it. This world is such a cool place to be, I really hope Ace Team are able to keep on making games set in this weird, fun setting.

The story is much more substantial this time around too. Although to be fair, it wasn’t hard to beat the first game on that front. This time it digs in much more in to the workings of this world, and what the consequences of the events of the predecessor. I feel like it does somewhat lack a certain whimsical silliness that the first had, but that was perhaps down to it focusing a lot on a specific group that don’t get as much of a spotlight here. This time around there’s more focus on actors that play a bigger role in overarching events, and the state of the world. But it’s pretty cool what revelations come out of that. I also found there’s quite a lot of thought put in to the history of this setting after all, and how it relates to other things not seen in the games at all. That was interesting to dig in to. The game makes you go really far out of your way to find that stuff though. I didn’t find any of that in my original run.

So yeah, had a great time coming back to this one. Wasn’t sure if it would still hold up as much as I hoped, since this is admittedly a rather janky game, which wouldn’t have the same impact as seeing some of what it has to offer the first time. But gladly it’s still pretty good, and actually managed to give me something new as well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)

Not really sure what drove me to replay this, but I remembered I owned the whole series on Android and never finished the final one, so thought I'd go through them all. Played originally on phone but it was nice to play this on a larger tablet. Manipulating the puzzle boxes and progressing though the clues was just as satisfying as last time I played it. I'm surprised these games aren't talked about more (or maybe they were at the time?) but they're pretty much flawless mobile games, I think.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#7 - Digimon Survive (2022), PS4 version via PS5

Never have I liked a game so much while also finding a game so difficult to recommend.

This is probably the best Digimon game, full stop. If you're a fan of the series, even casually, this is basically a full series of the anime, with some excellent writing and a shockingly adult tone. Digimon as a franchise is fascinating because, unlike Pokemon, it constantly evolves to age up with its fanbase. I watched the first season of the show when I was like 10, and I'm now 33. Survive is absolutely aimed at an adult audience.

But its biggest flaw is its structure and mechanics. Do not play this game without a guide. It advertises itself as a sort of CYOA visual novel, but in reality, there are only 4 routes, and 1 of them, the true ending, is completely inaccessible on your first play. I found that incredibly frustrating to discover after getting several hours in, but once I accepted that concession, I enjoyed the game more for it. The true ending, in fact, requires New Game +, because without the boosted affinity values in NG+, it is impossible to save a main character early in the game. Which drove me absolutely insane when I first played, because he and his Digimon were my favourite characters.

Despite the structure, the writing in this game is shockingly great - especially compared to what I'd consider to be awful writing in the Digimon Story games. The route the guide recommended for my first play (Harmony) absolutely broke me. It was a genuinely devastating story, dealing with themes of abuse, anger, and the impact that has on people around you. And it hit extremely close to home for me. The true ending, thankfully, was a lot more optimistic, and does a much better job of explaining the lore of the world. But this is a script that will kick you in the balls when it needs to, and make you laugh other times. I was not expecting a licensed game to actually hit me in the feels, but this one did big time, and that is rare for a man as hardened as myself.

Contrary to what the general zeitgeist says, this game is not strictly a visual novel... The VN trapping really only apply to dialogue and story structure. The actual combat is a turn-based SRPG, and that system is... Fine. Perfectly adequate. It's not exceptional, nor particularly deep, but it has lots of variety and two rock-paper-scissors weakness systems that give it just enough spice to carry it - though the fast-forward system in these battles (holding X) was very much appreciated when some of the damage spongy enemies appear late-game.

Otherwise, navigation and exploration occurs in an adventure game style format, where you will select locations from a menu and move your cursor to inspect points of interest. You can also find hidden items by using your phone's camera to inspect digital anomalies in each screen. It's definitely a low-budget way to handle movement, but in a game as lengthy as this one can be, it certainly cuts out what could have been monotonous backtracking and open world exploration - which I came to value.

If this game sounds interesting to you, it's luckily come down quite a lot in price. I see the PS4 version going for around $35CDN brand new, and the Switch version about 5 bucks more. Gotta love the Nintendo Tax.

I played the entirety of this game via PS5 remote play, and as there are really no action elements, I found the perceptible lag to be completely acceptable. It was a great way to hammer through some of the more monotonous segments while dividing attention with the TV.

So who would love this game? People who can enjoy or tolerate all this game's quirks. If you want a game with great writing and some massive emotional highs and lows, this is a winner for sure. If you love Digimon, especially when it veers into darker territory, I think there's a lot to love here. But unless you're an absolute pro with visual novel tropes, for the love of Azulongmon do not play this without a guide. It's not at all accessible to casual players, and it is not great at setting expectations. There's a lot to love, but you gotta work to get there - and that will absolutely deter some players.

&iso2023
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

June 18th: Radiant Silvergun - Saturn Mode (SAT)

Right in time for yesterday's CaR recording I met my short term goal of clearing this 60 odd minutes mode within whatever amount of credits I had unlocked. Really is a special game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)

Excellent. Really enjoyed this. I thought Merchant was great in it, too. This really highlights, also, how flawlessly the Source engine runs on Switch. Looks really good, so crisp, it's a shame they haven't put Half Life 2 on the system. That would be great to play in handheld.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Paranormal (Switch)

I've not played FX3 in ages, but didn't want to start anything new after finishing Portal earlier so ended up putting this on for a bit and just happened to clear a table. Paranormal is a Zen original and it's a pretty fun table! Not too difficult (well, clearly, obtained the 45 challenge stars in about half an hour which I think is the quickest I've managed to clear a table), but some neat features and a fun multiball mode. I'm aware this means nothing to almost everyone, but it's a decent pinball game, anyway!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 8: Densetsu no Stafy
Jan 10: Parodius 2: Fantastic Journey
Jan 26: Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy
Jan 28: Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius
Feb 19: Metroid Zero Mission
Feb 21: Kirby’s Dreamland
Mar 6: Yakuza 5
Mar 25: Luigi’s Mansion 2
Mar 30: Kirby’s Dreamland 2
Apr 13: New Super Mario Bros
May 1: Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
Jun 17: Super Bomberman

This SNES title was the first Bomberman game I ever properly played and I found it really fun. Blow up all the enemies and then find the exit. Nice and simple but increasing in complexity to a degree that it does not stay stale. However, I did not really enjoy the last two bosses. World 5 boss is a gauntlet of evil bombermen that I could not figure out their patterns for the life of me. I would lay some traps for them and they would never walk over or if they did move, it was to the opther side opf the screen. Really frustrating to figure out. The last boss also requires you to hav ethe punch power up so you can lob bombs at his flying vehicle. So if you do not have this power up already then you have to wander around surviving his onslaught until it appears and now you can fight back! Just a poorly designed affair which made the end part of the game that good bit less fun than the earlier stages. But overall, I do recommend this and am excited to try out some more of this cute little guy’s titles in the future.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Gears 5
Had a blast with it. It’s the equivalent of a action blockbuster popcorn movie. Great set pieces, great graphics, easy to follow story and most importantly fun to play with what is still what I consider to be best in class when it comes to third person shooting mechanics. My only complaint with 5 was the open world Skiv bits where you had to ride the skiv between missions for the middle portion of the game. Just found it boring. A bit like the sled bits in god of war Ragnorak. Overall 8/10
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Earth Defense (Switch)

All challenges complete. Pretty fun table!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 8: Densetsu no Stafy
Jan 10: Parodius 2: Fantastic Journey
Jan 26: Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy
Jan 28: Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius
Feb 19: Metroid Zero Mission
Feb 21: Kirby’s Dreamland
Mar 6: Yakuza 5
Mar 25: Luigi’s Mansion 2
Mar 30: Kirby’s Dreamland 2
Apr 13: New Super Mario Bros
May 1: Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
Jun 17: Super Bomberman
Jun 24: Mother 3
Finally finished this up and am happy to say that this playthrough was just as great as the first time I tried out the fan made translation back in 2008. Improves on Earthbound not only in its story and how it tells it but also the gameplay was streamlined as well. When you die, you keep all your progress from before the battle and so even if you are having trouble with a particular foe, you are continuously getting stronger and so any grinding (which does not take long as you level up quite quickly) you do never feels wasted. A word of advice when grinding for a boss. Try not to use items straight away as if you save after dying, your levelling up is saved but also those items are gone for good. Better to do without items and try the boss without them to see if you can beat it on your own and if you can’t at least you now have a stockpile of items to help you. The rhythm combo I could never fully get the hang of (I think I only got as many as four hits) but it is never necessary to master and is just a nice little bonus when you are attacking enemies. There for you to master if you like but you can beat this game without needing to. For a game released in 2006, some parts of Mother 3 are quite modernised when it comes to QOL improvements.

As for the story, it really is a lot more poignant than Earthbound and even today certain scenes still get to me. The improved graphics of the GBA as well as the lovely soundtrack really make this a real stunner presentation wise and truly enhance the more emotional parts of the story. This really is one of Nintendo’s best work that never left Japan and thank goodness for the translation work of starmen.net as they did a phenomenal job of bringing this to western audiences. One of my favourite JRPGs and I dearly wish it could be officially released over in the West someday.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Splatoon 3
02/02 - Postmouse
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II
29/06 - The Wonderful One: After School Hero

This is a little bonus side-scrolling platformer/shooter attached to The Wonderful 101 remaster that came out a while back. It was released weirdly though. First as two separate parts of DLC to the main game, and then again as a standalone version. I got both versions for free since I own the base game.

Wasn't very impressed with the game itself though. I guess it's fine as a cute bonus that uses assets from the main game to make a little minigame experience with different gameplay for the sake of novelty, but on its own merits it doesn't really hold up. The visual readability is awful. I could barely ever see where my character was, and the brightly glowing bullets fill up the screen so much that you can't parse anything. The UI often obscures things, and it has a tendency to spawn enemies right on top of you. It's a very messy experience. It's very forgiving though, as there is practically zero punishment for death, aside from docking your score. I can't see anyone bothering to try pushing to maximise that in this game though.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Just finished F1 23 Braking Point 2. I know you can’t really complete a racing game but I have just finished the story mode called Braking Point 2. I know people will think I’m being biased but honestly it really took me by surprise how much I enjoyed the story here. It’s not telling an emotional story but it is one that is really engaging and not too outlandish like the story in Grid Legends. The presentation is really top notch too, it takes a lot of inspiration from Drive to Survive with the presentation which adds to the authenticity. On the track it feels the best since F1 2021, a real fun mix between realism and arcade. Slight criticisms would be that it could have done some different scenarios as all the races bar one were in dry conditions but that was it really. I’d recommend the whole package to any racing fans and to more casual players I’d say check it out when it hits game pass. 9/10
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Splatoon 3
02/02 - Postmouse
16/04 - Knights Contract
20/04 - Strider (2014)
22/05 - Lost Planet 3
26/05 - Disco Elysium
14/06 - [PROTOTYPE]
18/06 - Zeno Clash II
29/06 - The Wonderful One: After School Hero
07/07 - Dante's Inferno

I was toying with the idea of going through this one again lately. I remember liking it, but it had been a pretty long time since I last played, so my memories aren’t the clearest. I feel like my opinion of the game did decline slightly over the years, and I wasn’t sure how well it would stand up these days. But I was pleasantly surprised to find it’s actually still a good, fun experience. It may not be an especially original game, and there’s a few rough edges here and there, but generally it does what it tries well.

Combat mechanics are pretty solid, although obviously very derivative of God of War. Attacks are all stylishly animated, have a real meaty feedback to them, and flow together really well too. It does take a while for them to properly flesh out over the course of the game though, in a way that makes the game feel a bit basic until you get quite a long ways in. Your bread and butter attacks don’t really have much to them. A single light attack string, and a single heavy attack string. You can mix things up a little by starting with the former and ending with the latter, but it’s not like you have a variety of stuff that has meaningfully different behaviour. You also get some special moves that you pull off by hitting a face button while holding block, just like GoW. But once you upgrade these moves is when you actually start to uncover something that gives you some meaningful choices. They each have an extended version, but what the game doesn’t tell you is that you can start with one of these moves, and finish with the extension of another, which can give you some level of choice over what you do with combos. So it is a fun system on balance, but it’s far from the best. I’ve definitely played a lot of worse action games, some that I’m even generally positive on, but there’s a lot of room where it could be better as well. I think God of War still has it beat, but this is still one of the better examples of games that try to emulate this combat style.

Enemy design is a bit mediocre however. There isn’t a huge variety, and there are some notable bad elements. A lot of the smaller foes don’t stand out visually very well, as they’re often dull coloured or simply too small on screen. Attacks are often way too quick to realistically be able to react to. But there is a class of larger demon enemy that is fun to fight. They’re big enough to see well, and their attacks are properly telegraphed. They’re tough, but can be juggled if you play well. So they feel like a fair and rewarding challenge. One enemy type that I used to really dislike, and that was putting me off replaying this initially, are the succubi. They have the ability to just dodge out of your attacks and leap at you instantly. They also have several moves that stun you. They can be very annoying. But this time I found a pretty decent way to deal with them, so they ended up being much less of a pain than I was expecting. But despite some good points, the problems that do exist make me feel like whenever I died it wasn’t really my fault. Instead it was just because the AI decided it wasn’t going to let me play and there was nothing I could’ve done about it. It’s not so bad of a problem that it drags down the overall experience, but it’s enough to make the occasional encounter a sore spot.

There’s also quite a lot of platforming, which isn’t brilliant. It comes in two forms. One being the kind of cinematic platforming like you would see in GoW, where you’re grappling on to walls and shimmying along ropes. It’s fine, but very simple. The other type is more traditional manual jumping from platform to platform. Dante actually feels pretty good in the air, a rarity in this genre. It has a nice sense of momentum, and you have a lot of control over your direction. But it’s massively let down by poor camera placement that makes depth perception really difficult. So many falls happened just because I couldn’t tell where I was in 3D space. It also likes to hide hazards from you at times, like not showing where you’re supposed to be jumping to, or having platforms drop away from under you with no warning. It’s not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but it did make for a significant number of moments where I got stuck for a while on something that really shouldn’t have been a problem.

It’s quite impressive on an aesthetic level. Clearly another aspect that is cribbed from God of War though, as a big flashy spectacle inspired by religious mythology. This vision of Hell is a really cool one though. It’s really creative and has a lot of fantastic and imposing visual design. At times it does really feel like a Hieronymus Bosch painting that you can explore. Dark caverns of twisted architecture, filled with the countless tortured souls suffering their ironic punishment for whatever sin they have been damned for. Cities of fire, rivers of blood, gnashing teeth, and demonic visages. Each circle is very distinct and there’s some really good imagination on display. It’s easily one of the main draws to the game. Not everywhere looks great though. There are quite a few areas that are little more than boxy rooms with drab, muddy textures. It does frequently impress, but the quality doesn’t stay consistently that high for the whole experience. But even so, I have to give the game a bit of slack, being a multiplatform 7th gen release that was targeting 60fps with these big cinematic vistas. That’s a pretty tall order that very few developers even attempted. It runs smooth as silk on XB1, and I don’t recall any major dips on the original hardware. Audio design also deserves a nod. It manages to feel extremely loud in a way that really sells the scale of these locations and the power of attacks, yet it’s still pretty clear to parse and well balanced.

As an aside, this game also got me thinking about “edgy” games again, with that being on my mind since Prototype. I said I liked this kind of thing in my completion post for that game, but I think that might have given off the wrong message. I mean, not that I expect anyone is paying that much attention, but still it had me musing on this whole thing. A lot of the time these days when something gets called “edgy” it comes with a lot of negative connotations. That it contains some kind of bigoted or toxic themes that it tries to glamourise for the audience. And that’s definitely a thing, but it’s not something that I vibe with or want to make excuses for. But I think there is a distinction to be made here. Media that is “edgy” in that way often comes across as very gross, in a misanthropic and nihilistic way. It feels cruel and mean-spirited. When there’s stuff I like that could be called “edgy”, they are things that I think have some level of earnestness and purpose to them. They are dark and brooding, sometimes grotesque, but have a heart and believe in some kind of good, or have a tongue in their cheek. Maybe that disqualifies them from having the moniker, or perhaps they fall under an older meaning of the word, and it has since lost some innocence thanks to the context of the surrounding culture that has emerged over time.

If you look at something like The Darkness, although some of the dialogue hasn’t aged well, it still comes across as something that has some level of empathy. Some other examples like Darksiders and Doom have an inherent silliness to them that stops them from coming across as too cynical. Prototype on the other hand doesn’t have any charm to it, nor does it have any kind of purpose to its edginess. I don’t think I’d go so far to call it outright misanthropic, but it definitely doesn’t care about anything. Dante’s Inferno is somewhat similar, but is elevated a bit by its aesthetic ambitions. It’s kind of gross, and has a fairly adolescent tone. But at the same time, it is somewhat compelling as a vision of divine punishment and the kind of morality system that would imagine such a thing. It is often cruel, but it makes a point to condemn Dante for the things he’s done as an invading Crusader. This isn’t a story about how society is corrupt and the only thing that can save it is for the protagonist to kill everyone they personally don’t like. Yet at the same time it seems to want to have it both ways, as it revels in brutal violence and occasional nudity/sexual suggestiveness that has a pretty skeevy tone. And then it gives this character the power to cast judgment on the various historical figures you find populating Hell. It is rather tasteless, but I can’t say it’s without substance. So I’m not entirely sure if it counts as the current definition of “edgy”, although I wouldn’t exactly want to defend this game from anyone finding it off-putting. If anyone else has been keeping up with Jacob Geller’s recent podcast, I think both this game and Prototype fall in to the category of “rotten” games which that show is about. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it covers this particular game at some point down the line.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Earth Defense (Switch)
JUL - F1 2021: Braking Point (Xbox)

I've not really played an F1 game since the first one on the PS1 which blew me away at the time with it's 'TV broadcast quality' visuals (and prompted me to buy a PlayStation) but Kurt is always talking about the F1 games and I heard there was a story mode so thought I'd give this a try.

The story is the exact same story that features in every sports game: rookie + bad guy x rivalry = victory. It's so bland and formulaic that it might as well not be there, but it's a good job it is otherwise I wouldn't have played the game. It served as an inoffensive enough wrapper for what was a pretty decent racing game. I enjoyed playing it. The story continues in F1 2023 so I'll be interested to try that one when it comes to Gamepass, and I imagine it'll look nicer too since this game was for Xbox One but the new one is specifically for this gen. Overall, fun racing game but not one I'd play for hours and hours like I would Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport. I just find F1, by it's very nature, to be quite repetitive and with not much variety since all the cars are basically the same. But with a focused story mode to get 8 or 9 hours of play out of them - perfect.