Games Completed 2023

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2023

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - The Witcher 2 (Xbox)
JAN - Ori And The Blind Forest (Switch)
JAN - Shinobi III (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Sonic Spinball (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Super Fantasy Zone - 1cc (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - Death's Door (Switch)
JAN - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES on Switch)
JAN - Final Fight (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - The King Of Dragons (Arcade on Switch)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
FEB - Goldeneye 007 (N64 on Switch)
FEB - Starfox (SNES on Switch)
FEB - Mafia 2: Remastered (Xbox)
FEB - As Dusk Falls (Xbox)
MAR - Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition (Switch)
MAR - The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA on Switch)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
APR - Resident Evil 4 (Switch)
APR - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox)
MAY - Dishonored 2 (Xbox)
JUN - Shock Troopers (Arcade on Switch)
JUN - Dizzy The Adventurer (NES on Evercade)
JUN - World Of Goo (Android)
JUN - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
JUN - Mega Man 2 (NES on Evercade)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Paranormal (Switch)
JUN - Pinball FX3: Earth Defense (Switch)
JUL - F1 2021: Braking Point (Xbox)
JUL - Divinity Original Sin 2 (Switch)
JUL - Borderlands: GOTY Edition (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Sea Of Thieves: Monkey Island Chapter 1 (Xbox)

Played through the first (and only, so far) chapter of the new Monkey Island story content for Sea Of Thieves this evening. Although the gameplay itself wasn't overly captivating it was really fun to be able to explore part of Melee Island in full 3D for the first time. A lot of nostalgic hits. The game was much more puzzle heavy than the normal Sea Of Thieves stuff, which you'd expect, but it was quite annoying having to search for enough pieces of eight to buy the things you needed. Aside from that it was certainly enjoyable. I played solo, but I'm imagining it would be more fun with other people working out the puzzles and stuff, but I'm looking forward to the next chapter, anyway.

One thing I noticed on the title screen, and it's been a while since I played, but is the Pirates Of The Caribbean content not available any more?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 12:34 amJAN - Red Dead Redemption 2: Arthur's Story (Xbox)
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Magic & Legend: Time Knights (Evercade)

A neat feature of the Evercade EXP and VS consoles are that you get a free, downloadable 'game of the month' to play for that month, and these games will later form the Indie Heroes Collection 3 cartridge if you want to own them permanently. The game for July was the aforementioned Magic & Legend: Time Knights. These games, along with a lot of indie stuff on Evercade, have been a mixed bag so far. Whilst fairly fun to play, it was an incredibly basic platformer which tasks you with clearing just five alien-filled levels and a final boss. I clocked the entire game in under 20 minutes. As a freebie for the month it's something nice to get, but I can't see myself buying the cartridge when it's released unless there are some real bangers between now and then.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 13th - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Feb 7th - Hi-fi Rush (Xbox Series S)
Feb 10th - Goldeneye (Xbox Series S / Switch)
Feb 20th - Halo: Combat Evolved / The Master Chief Collection (Xbox Series S)
Feb 25th - Bayonetta 3 (Switch)
Apr 10th - Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
Apr 30th - Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall / The Brigmore Witches (Xbox Series S)
May 1st - Tron Identity (Switch)
May 10th - Elden Ring: NG+ (Xbox Series S)

Aug 5th - Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)

I've beaten this before many times solo but I wanted to add it here as I had a great evening playing it with my friend in the same room on Co-op, which is in my eyes the way these games are designed to be enjoyed.

Given he'd last played a game like this back in the days of Final Fight, we clicked back in and loved the experience.

It really is a wonderful sequel to a series that feels like it would be very hard to update well.

The huge sprites, vibe, music and backdrops are all present. But the combat is the star of the show. Pulling off some crowd control last night had me cackling like when Dash realises he can run across water in The Incredibles.

And it NEVER gets hold throwing a projectile, catching it and using it again. The risk / reward of using your more powerful moveset is also brilliant.

So just a footnote to say, still an incredible game and even more fun with a friend.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Spoiler: show
Jan 8: Densetsu no Stafy
Jan 10: Parodius 2: Fantastic Journey
Jan 26: Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy
Jan 28: Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius
Feb 19: Metroid Zero Mission
Feb 21: Kirby’s Dreamland
Mar 6: Yakuza 5
Mar 25: Luigi’s Mansion 2
Mar 30: Kirby’s Dreamland 2
Apr 13: New Super Mario Bros
May 1: Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
Jun 17: Super Bomberman
Jun 24: Mother 3
Jul 12: DoReMi Fantasy: Milon’s Quest
Jul 16: Angry Birds Trilogy
Aug 3: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

This game was a complete joy. I always loved Toriyama’s monster designs for the Dragon Quest games and the slime has to be up there as his most simple yet charismatic designs. To play as one of these cute little fellas was too much for me to resist. This game is part dungeon explorer and strategy as you split your time between exploring areas and rescuing your buddies by solving various puzzles, exploration, defeating bosses and taking part in what is undoubtedly the highlight of this game: tank battles. These involve you and a team of slimes operating a mighty tank by supplying your cannons with various projectiles while at the same time defending your tank from enemy interlopers. After you whittle your opponent down to 0, then you must infiltrate their tank and destroy the mechanical heart to win the battle.

While this is pretty simple at its core, the gameplay becomes more complex at a steady rate and that is what makes Rocket Slime such a compelling title. You get more deadly weapons, have to deflect certain attacks, have different party members perform different roles and so on. Not to mention even if your HP goes down to 0 first, you can still etch out a win by having your teammates continuously spam attacks on the opponent while you defend the mechanical heart from intruders. I had a lot of tense battles where I just about survived thanks to some on the fly strategising.

Alongside this fun and addictive gameplay is that classic Dragon Quest silliness with its daft plot of taking down a mob of Platypunks (the Plob) and an avalanche of puns. This is a ridiculously fun time that I can heartily recommend to anybody, even people who have no experience with Dragon Quest will get a lot out of this. This has shot straight up into my list of must play titles for the DS. Just pure quality.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 13th - Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Feb 7th - Hi-fi Rush (Xbox Series S)
Feb 10th - Goldeneye (Xbox Series S / Switch)
Feb 20th - Halo: Combat Evolved / The Master Chief Collection (Xbox Series S)
Feb 25th - Bayonetta 3 (Switch)
Apr 10th - Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
Apr 30th - Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall / The Brigmore Witches (Xbox Series S)
May 1st - Tron Identity (Switch)
May 10th - Elden Ring: NG+ (Xbox Series S)
Aug 5th - Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)

Aug 7th - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)

Honestly not sure where I'm quite at with this game just yet. I'm at about 150+ hours, 120 shrines, every Side Adventure completed I've come across, story done and 95% of the map uncovered.

Obviously, to have done all that it's a PRETTY DECENT game. I've liked tons of it and it sorted out the things from BOTW that you could perhaps criticise. Better story with some genuinely WTF?! moments, better side quests, all the Temples bar the Water one were good, better bosses and enemy variety, freefalling from the sky is lush and the final chapter of the game was awesome.

And mechanically the new abilities are witchcraft. I have no idea how they pulled it off. It is a thing of wonder when your half baked ideas just... work. Watching my Minecraft-trained kids fuse and meld weird contraptions together puts my lack of imagination to shame.

I can't say I could be bothered to do it though after a few hours of building some rudimentary traversal options. Building mechs or fighter jets just didn't feel as satisfying as fighting on foot or riding on horseback to me.

And the shrines are a poor second cousin to BOTW. They feel more like tutorials hand holding you into building stuff than genuine head scratchers or challenges. Only one out of 100+ caused me to ponder it momentarily.

I think I applaud and appreciate the creativity of the new abilities. But don't think they quite suit the kind of gamer I am.

Elsewhere the Depths are fine but grow tired fast. The sky islands are brilliant but sparse. Zonaite currency is a bit of a mess. Armour collecting is addictive but less important than before. Revisiting old areas largely works great, but occasionally feels a bit repetitive. Fusing grows old after a while. And I really missed an ability to help me get high up fast, without a rocket.

I knew this game would never have the 'shock of the new' factor of BOTW nor did I expect it to. And TOTK is way more than expanded DLC.

But I just prefer the isolation of the former. The challenge of the limited abilities. The unrivalled panoramic exploration. The sense of achievement when you scale a huge mountain. The wonder of figuring out a geographic puzzle.

Both are great games. But I'm a little surprised TOTK got straight 10s. For me, whilst it's a slicker, more creative game built to inspire an endless stream of memes, it's just not such a good whollistic vision.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#8 - Yakuza: Like A Dragon (2020, Series X)

It's 2am, I sat through probably 4 hours of ending between the dungeon, boss fights and cutscenes, and I am not feeling well. But man, did I ever enjoy the ride this game took me on. It's a huge game, so I'll try to hit on a few key points without getting too deep into the mechanics.

So my history with the Yakuza series is... Limited. I finished 0 and Kiwami (in that order) and I bounced off Kiwami 2. I started 7, then realized I had missed A LOT in the time skip between 2005 and 2020, so I went and watched an outstanding recap series from a YouTuber called YourFavouriteSon. Strongly, strongly recommended if you want to catch up on the story without playing through 8 very large games. Broadly, I felt that the beat em up gameplay was not interesting or diverse enough to hold the very, VERY long run time of these games, and the side stories and distractions generally felt like it got in the way of the game more than supported it. I also felt like Kamurocho was overplayed by that point, and that Kiryu was a character they kept dragging through more and more contrived reasons for him to be there. I still kind of feel that way, although I recognize the stories he was dragged along FOR (especially 5) are interesting, deep, and incredibly well-told.

So fast forward to 7. New protagonist, new city (although I did not know that at first), new combat mechanics. It's a turn-based JRPG now, and Kasuga being the hot-headed dork he is juxtaposed nicely with the stoic monolith that is Kiryu. The story does everything in its power to pivot away from strictly being in the realm of Yakuza affairs, and showcases the working class back alleys of the smaller (compared to Tokyo) city of Yokohama. I liked every one of these changes, and I fully realize that is not the most popular opinion. C'est la vie.

Yakuza 7 shocked me, however, in how realistic and progressive its views of the forgotten and downtrodden are. The game has genuine compassion for sex workers, unregistered migrants, unhoused people, and all kinds of groups that are usually the butt of jokes or set dressing in other media. The picture it paints of politics is shockingly realistic, and without spoiling specific moments, I saw so, so many parallels to the machinations and electoral quirks of Canada - and I say that as someone who has worked on Provincial and Federal campaigns and, myself, run my own campaign for City Hall. Sex work and homelessness are a reality in my Ward, and Ijincho, a town on the other side of the world, mirrored it in so many ways... While still being distinctly Japanese.

The cast here is excellent too, and the English voiceover has some absolutely amazing performances. While all the main party members are interesting in their own ways, I do feel like the writers had no idea what to do with half of them once their introduction arc is finished. And one of them - Saeko - really stands out for having a significantly less detailed character model than the rest. Additionally, there is an optional character who I have to presume was a late addition, as they never appear in the game's cutscenes outside of the management sim minigame they are introduced in. Overall though, I felt like they were a fun bunch to be around, but the party members introduced in the back half of the game were definitely more interesting and more fun to use in battle than the early characters.

The battle system is... Good, but unbalanced. The game is piss-easy for the majority of the run-time, but because the battles take SO long to complete, I relied heavily on auto-battle to just get them out of the way without having to think about them. Much like the other Yakuza games, I felt like the encounter rate was way too high, and that these encounters take far longer to complete than they need to, with battle animations that are amusing a few times before they become decidedly annoying. Trouble is though, the game has a handful of bosses in the last few chapters that are EXTREMELY difficult compared to the rest of the game. As a result, I found I never needed to learn the mechanics or find synergies until the last, like, quarter of the game. Which is a problem. A good JPRG battle system should teach you the mechanics organically through trial and error... But it's very difficult to do that when you are destroying most enemies in one or two attacks, and bosses aren't much bulkier or programmed to throw a curveball. The enemy designs were really creative, and I generally enjoyed them, but if I see another Steamed Punk or Ornery Yakuza I'm gonna lose my damn mind. Some enemy variants, you can go the entire game without seeing once... Others, you will see 300 times. And because you will be visiting a few areas many, many times during normal play, get used to seeing those same enemies and tapping the Auto-battle button while you grab a pop from the fridge.

The side stories here are still kinda "whatever", but I did feel like they were worth doing here because the rewards often manifested in Summons or recruitable workers for the corporate management minigame. By the end, I was just skipping these sidequest scenes because I wanted to get the game over with while not being under levelled or under equipped.

The distraction events are... Fine. I enjoyed the real estate management game in Yakuza 0, and I loved the corporate management game in this one. But the rest of the distractions - Can Quest, Dragon Kart, golf, all that stuff - I ignored completely.

Yet despite skipping hours and hours of content... I still feel like this game is way, WAY too long. If I could bee-line the story, I think it would be a reasonable 20-40 hour run time. But with all the stuff this game asks you (and to keep of with the levelling curve, demands you) to do is just kind of obnoxious. I spent somewhere between 60-100 hours on this game over the course of two months, and as someone who works full time, I just think that's kinda disrespectful. At very least, these games need like a "focused" mode that cuts down the encounters and boosts XP, while also cutting out scenario events that railroad you into side content.

Anyway. I could go super, super in depth with any of the points above, but in terms of an overall package, Yakuza 7 is an excellent story with an excellent cast and a great battle system that is poorly implemented. Hopefully the next game can address some of these issues and deliver a super polished experience. Overall, I recommend it with the caveat that you will need a massive time commitment to get through this one. If you can make it work, it's one of the best JRPGs of the last 5 years.

&iso2023
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Magical_Isopod wrote: August 8th, 2023, 8:05 am #8 - Yakuza: Like A Dragon (2020, Series X)
I can't disagree with any of this, despite that though I came away from it with a bit of a sour taste. That was mainly due to the huge difficulty spikes which really ruined it for me and also the grinding required to get up to the required level for these difficulty spikes. Having to go into the sewers or that tower was such a slog for me. Outside of Pokemon, I haven't played any other JRPGs or even RPGs really until this game and I have been told the grinding in LAD isn't that bad, but I hated doing it to the point that it overshadowed the good parts of the game for me. I was so close to packing the game in but I had put so many hours into it I felt obliged to see it through.

It was enough for me to know that I won't be carrying on with the Ichiban games going forward. I would even go so far to say it puts me off trying other JRPGs but I don't know if that would be fair if this game is just a poor example of a good JRPG battle system and that grinding isn't normally this bad.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Truk_Kurt wrote: August 8th, 2023, 9:10 am
It was enough for me to know that I won't be carrying on with the Ichiban games going forward. I would even go so far to say it puts me off trying other JRPGs but I don't know if that would be fair if this game is just a poor example of a good JRPG battle system and that grinding isn't normally this bad.
It really depends on the game, but generally, grinding shouldn't be required. And to be fair, I didn't have to do any grinding in this game... When I hit those super difficult bosses, I just had to change my strategy up. But that's where my gripe about the game being too easy for like 75% of the game comes in, because I didn't get to gradually learn about the mechanics. I had to look up guides to figure out the game has really deep buff/debuff systems. Nanba has a move called Malodorous Stench that drops enemy Attack and Defence two levels. Kasuga has a move that boosts the party's Attack X levels based on his Courage stat. All three late-game characters deal an insane amount of damage with their techs the drop around lvl 40-50. One has attacks that drop enemy Accuracy, causing them to miss hits. All these debuff effect every single enemy, including bosses. Items in this game are really powerful too - you can literally just walk into a store and buy Premium First Aid kits that rez party members with full health.

As for JRPGs broadly, I never had to grind in the "golden age" Final Fantasy games (4-10) and I find they do generally do a good job of introducing mechanics gradually. Some do rely HEAVILY on grinding though, but these are generally more niche titles like SaGa and Tictacs Ogre.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Death's Door - Series X.
(Jan) Warhammer: Chaosbane SE - Series X.
(Feb) Evil West - Series X.
(Mar) God of War Ragnarok - PS5.
(Mar) Dead Space(2023) - Series X.
(Apr) Ben 10: Power Trip - Series X.
(Apr) Resident Evil 4(2023) - Series X.
(May) Ghostwire Tokyo - Series X.
(May) Ravenlok - Series X.
(May) Turrican - PS4.
(May) Spec Ops: The Line - Series X.
(July) Shadow Warrior 3 - Series X.
(July) Planet of Lana - Series X.
(July) Horizon Forbidden West - PS5.
(July) Bramble: The Mountain King - Series X.
(Aug) Halo Wars 2 - Series X.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

January 5th - Final Fantasy VII
January 22nd - Death's Door
January 25th - Citizen Sleeper
January 31st - Dead Space (2008)
February 5th - Dead Space 2
February 18th - Hi-Fi Rush
Feb 24th - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Mar 3rd - Gears of War 2
Mar 8th - Gears of War 3
April 1st - Resident Evil 4 (2023)
April 6th - Demon's Souls
April 26th - Resident Evil 4 (2005)
June 1st - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
May 8th - Super Mario Odyssey

Not sure why I waited so long to play this. It’s great having a new 3D Mario with plenty of room to roam. Well not that new now I suppose… Mario always feels great to control but here he’s just fantastic. The hat is so great, it fits in perfectly with a 3D platformer, both to throw at enemies instead of jumping on them, and as a makeshift platform. Possessing things was more fun than I was expecting too. I was a bit worried it would feel gimmicky, but it fits into the standard exploring nicely. Hop in, get a new style of character to play in, hop out. I particularly liked the octopus, the birds with the sharp beaks, the elongating caterpillars, and bullet bills. Who hasn’t wanted to be a bullet bill?

The worlds are mostly excellent. I didn’t love the food world or the sort of jungle one, found them a bit garish and constrained. Bowser’s castle was mildly disappointing too, being so segmented. But the rest I loved. The waterfall world with its surf rock tune was excellent, I also liked bouncing around the snow world and the beach world. New Donk City is of course the standout, and it’s been long enough that I’d forgotten about the celebration festival, so that was a nice surprise, and put a big smile on my face.

Once I beat the story I put it down with the intention of coming back and picking up the remaining moons I needed. However now a few months have gone by, I’m not sure that’ll ever happen. The ship tells me I have over 100 still to get, and the thought exhausts me. It’s not really the time commitment, as I imagine it would take me less than getting half that many stars in another game. It’s the collectathon nature of it. The more open structure was really enjoyable while I was progressing the story, but feels like a chore now that’s all I have left. I’d rather just put the game down at a good stopping point for me rather than force it, at least for the near future.

August 10th - Final Fantasy XVI

Although I wasn’t initially planning to, I did a complete playthrough. It took a while to grow on me but I ended up enjoying it more than I was expecting.
I liked how the Eikons, dominants and crystals were handled, giving you these memorable conflicts, characters and inflection points in the story. The presentation and soundtrack is wonderful throughout, and each feels very distinct and well suited to the character and their story. I loved Dion and his Ascension theme, the vicious and tragic feel of Benedikta’s fight, but Kupka was probably my favourite overall. Big, dumb fun that made me laugh out loud more than once.

The seemingly inevitable ‘kill the god that represents the themes of the story’ ending was fine, fun and cheesy in parts, and Clive’s sacrifice is quite moving. But I think I would’ve preferred Barnabas positioned as the main villain, with Clive returning to the hideaway to help rebuild the world. I enjoyed that aspect of Clive’s character, growing into the role of Cid the Outlaw. I loved wandering around the hideaway and seeing what was new, helping others with their problems. Gave me that Normandy, ‘home away from home’ feeling. It meant that a lot of the final sidequests and the ‘say goodbye to everyone’ moment worked really well, and I would’ve loved to have seen an ending where Clive returns and is able to fulfill his promises.

The sidequests go some way to grounding the story and giving you a connection to the world’s characters and their problems. But there are far too many and a lot of them aren’t worth the effort. They feel constrained by the ‘talk to person - go and grab something/fight something - talk to person’ format that they ALL follow, or thereabouts. Some of these should’ve been prioritised, particularly those around characters, and the rest removed. Jill and Joshua in particular feel underdeveloped considering their significance in the story - I’d much rather do something with Jill than pick up soil or help my uncle’s butler. More personal time spent with characters would’ve gone a long way, hopefully something DLC could explore.
I loved the action gameplay. There’s a nice versatility between each Eikon’s abilities, and I really enjoyed mixing and matching and trying to get the best out of them. Each one looks, sounds and feels satisfying to execute. I would’ve loved to have seen a fixed set of genuinely different weapons with their own abilities, maybe some combo moves for higher level play, rather than just upgrading to another sword with higher damage. Boss, mini boss and hunts were a lot of fun, but other fights became less engaging. The Eikon trials show how fun the combat can be when you’re actually put under pressure and forced to engage with the abilities, deal with restrictions and play to a faster, higher level. I wish there were more fights like that.

Overall I wish the game was a little less rigid. Fewer fast travel points and waypoints, more to engage with in combat. At its worst this game is very staid and unchallenging, almost like its on autopilot. There’s just not enough game here for the length of this game. Despite my criticism, I did enjoy this game a lot though, and grew fond of its characters, music, warmth and sentimentality, action and bombast.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Quake (Switch)

With Quake II stealth launching in remastered form on current formats recently, it reminded me I'd picked up the first game for Switch for a couple of quid a while back and not played it much, so before moving on to the second game I wanted to finish this one first.

I don't have much history with Quake. I enjoyed the sequel for PlayStation many years ago, but only ever played the original for a short time back on PC. I own the Trent Reznor soundtrack on 12" vinyl - a bootleg copy from well before it was ever officially released, and if I remember rightly I'm sure it was on a green disc too.

The remaster of Quake (along with its sequel) really is an incredible package when thinking about value for money. You get the original full game along with several expansions as well as multiple mods and map packs which have been released in the years since it first came out. We're talking full games worth of newly developed content here, hours and hours of stuff, and to top all that, the full version of Quake 64 as a bonus! And I paid about £2! Absolute madness.

The game itself then... What I really enjoy in Quake, and Doom before it, is running around at breakneck speed, killing monsters with a variety of weapons. I enjoy the gothic atmosphere, the soundtrack, the very 90s graphics (even if they have been given a good polish) and generally blasting away having fun. What I really enjoy less are the later levels which don't just ramp up the difficulty, but become more and more labyrinthine and reliant on puzzle solving to progress. I did have to look at a guide for the final two levels, and the final boss itself I would have never worked out other than by accident!

Overall though, the remaster of Quake from a couple of years ago represents a remaster that has truly been done properly. Nothing over the top with regard to gameplay, but a nice buff to graphics and sound and a absolute raft of additional content, and at a great price (even not in a sale it's under £8). I had a lot of fun with this.
Kez86

Post by Kez86 »

Alex79 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 5:12 pm
JAN - Yakuza 3 (Xbox)
MAR - Pentiment (Xbox)
JUN - The Room (Android)
JUN - Portal 2 (Switch)
JUL - Holedown (Android)
AUG - Quake (Switch)

With Quake II stealth launching in remastered form on current formats recently, it reminded me I'd picked up the first game for Switch for a couple of quid a while back and not played it much, so before moving on to the second game I wanted to finish this one first.

I don't have much history with Quake. I enjoyed the sequel for PlayStation many years ago, but only ever played the original for a short time back on PC. I own the Trent Reznor soundtrack on 12" vinyl - a bootleg copy from well before it was ever officially released, and if I remember rightly I'm sure it was on a green disc too.

The remaster of Quake (along with its sequel) really is an incredible package when thinking about value for money. You get the original full game along with several expansions as well as multiple mods and map packs which have been released in the years since it first came out. We're talking full games worth of newly developed content here, hours and hours of stuff, and to top all that, the full version of Quake 64 as a bonus! And I paid about £2! Absolute madness.

The game itself then... What I really enjoy in Quake, and Doom before it, is running around at breakneck speed, killing monsters with a variety of weapons. I enjoy the gothic atmosphere, the soundtrack, the very 90s graphics (even if they have been given a good polish) and generally blasting away having fun. What I really enjoy less are the later levels which don't just ramp up the difficulty, but become more and more labyrinthine and reliant on puzzle solving to progress. I did have to look at a guide for the final two levels, and the final boss itself I would have never worked out other than by accident!

Overall though, the remaster of Quake from a couple of years ago represents a remaster that has truly been done properly. Nothing over the top with regard to gameplay, but a nice buff to graphics and sound and a absolute raft of additional content, and at a great price (even not in a sale it's under £8). I had a lot of fun with this.
I know I would love Quake and Quake2, and I love the Switch. I just cannot get the hang of FPS controls on an analogue stick. I've trained myself with mouse and keyboard.

Loved Quake 2 back on PS1 though. I do have Quake on Switch, so might train my mind again to play using analogue control before moving on Quake 2.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Quake (and I'm assuming Quake 2) also have gyro aiming which sounds like a nightmare but works really well in conjunction with the sticks - aim with the stick and fine tune with tiny gyro movements. I normally hate gyro aiming but it works really well. Might we worth a look if you catch the first game in a sale, it's frequently very cheap.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you said you already have the first game on Switch! Have you tried it yet?
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Aug 12: Gunstar Heroes

Finished this Mega Drive classic in one go. An absolute blast to go through. Gameplay is snappy and it always throws new scenarios at you at such a pace that it keeps things fresh throughout the entire game. Finding out that you can get different effects from your weapons by mixing and matching ammo types was a lovely bit of hidden depth that I was not expecting from this seemingly simple run n gun. My absolute favourite was combining the lightning shot with the chaser as it basically homes in on a enemy and continuously chips down their health as long as you hold the attack button down. It makes mince meat out of even the toughest bosses. Ridiculously OP but I love it. The Dice Palace in Black’s stage can be a real hassle though, as certain fights there can really do a number on you and the risk of having to start it over if you mess up a dice throw can definitely be a pain to deal with. But with save states it can be rectified somewhat at lease :) Other than that though, really solid title and one that is deserving of the praise it gets. Treasure really are an excellent development team, should look into more of their back catalogue.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Aug 12: Gunstar Heroes
Aug 13: Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139…

Having played and adored Nier Automata, I always wanted to try out the original to see how it all began. So I was very happy to hear the original Nier was getting a remake and always had it on my to play list. Having finally finished it I can say that there is a lot of really great things about this game but also some negative aspects that hold it back from being a 10/10 experience.

But first, the good. The combat is pretty much copied form Automata and as a result, it is really fun chopping up enemies, deftly dodging their attacks while spamming magic projectiles at them. I heard one fo the big flaws of the original was that the combat was a bit on the clunky side and detracted from the strengths of the game such as its narrative. The developer Toylogic did a great job emulating what Platinum Games achieved and have really made a satisfying combat system that makes going up against the various creatures and robots in this game a real joy. Related somewhat to the combat are that the bosses were a big highlight for me. Massive spectacles that always seemed to go in perfect sync with the story and music. This seems to be something that the Nier games in particular are great at and has only being enhanced with the refined combat system seen here. Music by Keiichi Okabe is also just as wonderful as it was for Automata. So many of these themes stick with you long after you play them and perfectly capture the brooding, melancholic atmosphere of the Nier series. Okabe is honestly up there with the likes of Uematsu and Kondo when it comes to videogame soundtracks, extraordinarily talented individual.

Another big positive is the main cast of characters. They are all flawed yet easy to empathise with and the chemistry between them is top notch. Nier is a kind hearted guy who deeply cares for his sister and is always willing to help others but carries a genocidal hatred of Shades, the main enemies of the game. When you learn more about what Shades actually are, the player becomes a lot more uncomfortable with how Nier feels about these beings. But given that he can’t understand what they are even saying, he can’t have the opportunity to change his views which is the kind of tragic irony Yoko Taro excels at. Grimoire Weiss is the magical book that serves the same purpose as the pods in Automata, being as he performs ranged attacks. Weiss is an entertaining blend of insufferably pompous and sassy and his quips with other characters definitely provided a lot of the light hearted moments of the game. His relationship with the rest of the party develops in a believable way as well as he genuinely wants to help them out in their struggles while still delivering catty insults at them. Kaine is a ridiculously sexualised swords-woman (her outfit makes 2B look like a nun in comparison, why is there neatly cut holes in her underwear? It is so over the top that it borders on parody) but despite her pretty looks is incredibly foul mouthed, hot tempered and just anti-social in general. However considering her childhood and how she was treated by her home village that is bound to have an effect on how you view other people. However she begins to soften considerably as she interacts with Nier and especially the last member of your party Emil. He is honestly quite opposite to Kaine in that he looks horrific but is one of the sweetest characters in the game. His backstory as a magical weapon is especially tragic and considering how he was treated it is amazing he turned out as good hearted as he did. Overall, this was a very interesting group to play with and marks these characters as one of the most memorable party in an RPG I have ever played as.

Related to the characters is the story itself. It definitely takes a lot of twists and turns and becomes pretty subversive after Route A as you begin to understand more about the Shades and why your actions might have been far more harmful than you intended. It is a story with a lot of gray shades and Route E in particular throws some really wild things your way. It is also brilliant in that if you just finish Route A then it looks like a nice happy ever after ending
(well other than Weiss and Emil sacrificing themselves that is)
but subsequent playthroughs show that things are a lot more messy than you typically encounter in most RPGs. My only real issue is that the game does not tell you the full story and most of it is revealed in other media such as books. So you have a rough idea of what is going on but it is only through searching for more context in other avenues that you really get the whole picture. For example,
I did not know that killing the Shadowlord who is the original Gestalt means that the Black Shawl can never be cured in Replicants and thus humanity is irreversibly headed for extinction. Knowing this has even made the more positive ending of Route E that much more bleak.
I understand not wanting to spoonfeed the player everything but a few more hints of the bigger picture might have been nice.

So those were the positives and there were very big positives indeed. However, this game also has some flaws that made my time with it less than ideal. So after you finish Ending A, you start at the midpoint of the game and continue on until you get to the final boss again. You do Routes B and C and each time you do you gain further context behind the story and the character’s actions. All great, same as what was done with Route B in Nier Automata. However, unlike Automata where the game significantly changes as you start Route C, in Replicant Route C has you replaying the same sections again. I got so sick of the Lost Shrine by the end of Route C that I never want to set foot in it again. Unfortunately you do have to replay that blasted section again when you aim for Route E so yeah in order to get all endings you are playing through the Lost Shrine NINE times. I am quite frankly really sick of games demanding I do the same thing again and again in order to finish the game properly. Seriously Automata did a much better job of avoiding this level of repetition and is one reason why I will put it over Replicant as my favourite of the two.

Another big sin is that to get Endings C and D you have to collect all 33 weapons in the game. I was lucky in that I had 27 weapons by the time I started Route C so I did not have to collect too many in order to progress. If it was the case that I missed out on some weapons that you can only get in the early part of the game then I honestly would have quit it there and then. Thankfully that was not the case and I just had to finish a few sidequests and grind a lot of money in order to buy them. Seriously this game is strangely stingy with money and the only way to really start raking in the dough requires you to finish sidequests. But even if it was not too bad gathering all the weapons, I despise when developers insist you have to collect every single one of a particular doodad in order to even finish the base game. It was shit having to rescue all the Electoons to finish the original Rayman and it is shit here too. Please developers stop doing this kind of thing. Collecting everything should result in a bonus reward, not be mandatory to finish the game.

Since I mentioned sidequests already, that is my other main complaint with this game. They are really bad. Automata did not have great sidequests either but at least some of them tried to explain the lore of the world you are in. Replicant to my knowledge has only a few sidequests like that and even with them it was pretty meh. But the vast majority of sidequests are: (1) NPC needs something; (2) in order to get this item they need several materials; (3) getting materials either involves shopping around with the limited amount of money you have or going to a certain area and just grinding until you get everything you need. And your reward is typically some money, non essential items or occasionally a weapon. So to finish the game properly you have to engage with some of these absolute borefests of sidequests. I am not joking when I say these fetch quests make up most of the side quests. Developers, please I am begging you, if you want me to spend time in the lovely world you have developed make sidequests actually interesting. From now on I will not do any sidequests unless there is a compelling reason to do them. Fight hidden bosses, explore new areas, expand the lore and story of the game. This busywork of gathering 50 berries, 40 bags of sugar and 25 cups of flour to make a strawberry cake shite I am officially never doing again. This game really is the epitome of rubbish sidequests and I have reached breaking point with this time wasting nonsense.

Whew, sorry that went on a fair bit didn't it? This game is one of the most interesting ones I ever had to engage with and it is full of so many highs and lows that I felt it necessary to expand why I like this game and rant on its shortcomings. At its best, Nier Replicant is a really fascinating, complex story with compelling characters, great combat and excellent music. But to really experience these highs you have to trudge through a lot of repetition to get there. If you can forgive those faults, I say give it a whirl as at its best, it gives Automata a run for its money. If it was not home to some of my biggest pet peeves with game design I would heartily recommend it. As it is, I can only do so with some caveats. Still all in all, interesting game that I am glad I played.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Jobobonobo wrote: August 16th, 2023, 7:26 pm Since I mentioned sidequests already, that is my other main complaint with this game. They are really bad. Automata did not have great sidequests either but at least some of them tried to explain the lore of the world you are in. Replicant to my knowledge has only a few sidequests like that and even with them it was pretty meh. But the vast majority of sidequests are: (1) NPC needs something; (2) in order to get this item they need several materials; (3) getting materials either involves shopping around with the limited amount of money you have or going to a certain area and just grinding until you get everything you need. And your reward is typically some money, non essential items or occasionally a weapon. So to finish the game properly you have to engage with some of these absolute borefests of sidequests. I am not joking when I say these fetch quests make up most of the side quests. Developers, please I am begging you, if you want me to spend time in the lovely world you have developed make sidequests actually interesting. From now on I will not do any sidequests unless there is a compelling reason to do them. Fight hidden bosses, explore new areas, expand the lore and story of the game. This busywork of gathering 50 berries, 40 bags of sugar and 25 cups of flour to make a strawberry cake shite I am officially never doing again. This game really is the epitome of rubbish sidequests and I have reached breaking point with this time wasting nonsense.
This is exactly how I felt about the Final Fantasy XVI side quests. They're all structured in the most tedious way possible. I don't know why they follow that format. Maybe some people like it, or it's easier to create the quests in these smaller structures. But it drags the game down by filling it with tedium. If FF had taken the quests with actual story and character development, fleshed those out and cut all the rest, it would've made a big difference.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

markfm007 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 12:45 pm Since I mentioned sidequests already, that is my other main complaint with this game. They are really bad.
This is exactly how I felt about the Final Fantasy XVI side quests. They're all structured in the most tedious way possible. I don't know why they follow that format. Maybe some people like it, or it's easier to create the quests in these smaller structures. But it drags the game down by filling it with tedium. If FF had taken the quests with actual story and character development, fleshed those out and cut all the rest, it would've made a big difference.
I have heard a lot of complaints about sidequests in FFXVI. Doing the same thing over and over for comparatively little reward is just something that does nothing for me these days. I liked how older RPGs did side quests. For example in FFVII, side quests involved traveling to new locales in order to recruit optional party members and fighting really tough bosses that rewarded you with crazy weapons and summons. That is a million times better than grind the same area over and over for hours until you get a super rare item that the NPC wants. To me few but meaningful side quests will always be more compelling content than hundreds of mindless fetch quests.

Its funny, I just listened to the Cane and Rinse on Nier and they mentioned that the constant quips Grimoire Weiss makes about the player doing these meaningless side quests seemed like the developer itself laughing at you for wasting your time. And while that can be an amusing bit of meta humour, I would honestly just prefer if they had better side content instead.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

If you guys want some really solid side material Baldur's Gate 3 is perfect, none of the optional quest feel low effort or copy paste, they all feel really unique and they're really well presented.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Tolkientaters wrote: August 18th, 2023, 1:04 pm If you guys want some really solid side material Baldur's Gate 3 is perfect, none of the optional quest feel low effort or copy paste, they all feel really unique and they're really well presented.
I'd love to be playing it but don't have a PS5 or PC capable of running it. Hoping it comes to Xbox at some point (or even Switch, with some serious cutbacks, I'm sure, but Divninty 2 was amazing on Switch).
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: August 19th, 2023, 12:08 am
Tolkientaters wrote: August 18th, 2023, 1:04 pm If you guys want some really solid side material Baldur's Gate 3 is perfect, none of the optional quest feel low effort or copy paste, they all feel really unique and they're really well presented.
I'd love to be playing it but don't have a PS5 or PC capable of running it. Hoping it comes to Xbox at some point (or even Switch, with some serious cutbacks, I'm sure, but Divninty 2 was amazing on Switch).
It is coming to Xbox but they can’t get the co op running on the series S yet which is why it’s delayed indefinitely