What games are you most looking forward to?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

What games are you most looking forward to?

Post by Alex79 »

It seems like we are spoilt for choice at the moment, but there are a few games on the horizon I can't wait to play...

Silksong

I must admit, I was a little disappointed when they revealed the follow up to Hollow Knight would be featuring a different character, but that disappointment totally went away after I saw the first trailer. It looks gorgeous, movement looks fluid and the combat and platforming is sure to be just as incredible as the first game. Will it be better than Hollow Knight? Will it ever actually come out? I hope so!

Black Myth: Wukong

A Chinese Soulslike based around the story of the journey to the west? Yes please! This has looked incredible since the first teaser all those years ago, and the talk up on the recent IGN podcast only has me more hyped. We have Lies Of P coming up which seems to be an excellent riff on Bloodborne and that'll tide me over nicely, but I can't wait for this one to be released.

STALKER 2

I played the first game back on PC when it first came out and it was a hugely atmospheric, buggy game, that had a lot to love. Limitations were open areas connected by obvious loading gateways but with the power of new machines I'm hoping this is fully open world. I enjoyed the Metro games, and love the post-Chernobyl type setting in general, this could be really special.

Grand Theft Auto VI

This will be the one. GTA V was an absolute behemoth of a game, endlessly replayable and longer legs than possibly any game in history. Rockstar always try to top themselves and the chances of this being a duffer are slim to none. Of everything, this is the game I'm most excited to play. I might do something I've not done since Dark Souls 2 and book time off to play it. This is an almost guaranteed success and should bankroll Rockstar for the next 20 years. I just hope I'm still around to play GTA VII!

How about you?
Truk_Kurt

Re: What games are you most looking forward to?

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Grand Theft Auto VI

As with you Alex, this is my most anticipated game my some distance. It's one of the few games I allow myself to get fully swept up into the hype for. The trailers are always a huge event and no GTA game so far has let me down. I just love being in those worlds. Some have expressed concern that they are going to focus on multiplayer, which I don't think will be the case as there's still millions that play just the single player (like me). If the reviews came out saying the single player was lacklustre I wouldn't buy it, I'm just not interested in online multiplayer at all. My one concern though is just how many key figures from the previous games have left the studio since GTA V and what impact that will have on the game.

WRC
Rallying games are probably my favourite type of racing game so I can't wait to get this new WRC game from the team behind the Dirt Rally games.

IO Interactive's James Bond game
We know nothing about this game other than the developer but given the great work IO have done on Hitman, I'm really excited to see what they can do with Bond.

Machine Games Indiana Jones Game
As with the above, we know nothing about this game but I trust Machine Games to do a great job with one of my favourite movie characters as I really enjoyed all the Wolfenstein games they did.

Suicide Squad
Perhaps a controversial pick this, but I really don't think the game looks as bad as people have made out after the most recent trailers. Rocksteady haven't let me down yet with any of their games so I expect them to deliver again with Suicide Squad.

Classified 44
I'm a huge fan of turn based tactics games and this one has my attention. It has a WWII setting and has some unique features to differentiate it from other XCOM likes.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Truk_Kurt wrote: September 6th, 2023, 2:24 pm Grand Theft Auto IV
What year is this!? Who's the president!?
:D
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 6th, 2023, 2:26 pm
Truk_Kurt wrote: September 6th, 2023, 2:24 pm Grand Theft Auto IV
What year is this!? Who's the president!?
:D
Haha, now corrected
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

For me it's Baldur's Gate III - which unlocks in 2 hours 26 as I type this.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah, a few mentioned I'm also really looking forward to playing. WRC, the Indy game and Baldurs Gate 3.

WRC especially, I hope they go down the Dirt Rally route rather than the Dirt route, and it's more of a full on rally sim rather than arcade handling. Much as I enjoyed the regular Dirt games and Forza Horizon, I do enjoy a more hardcore rally game.

And also, I forgot, one of my most anticipated: Forza Motorsport. Forgot all about that one, can't wait!
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Not a game, but I'm desperate to see that Elden Ring DLC, since From's DLC tends to be some of their best work.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

I'll second Elden Ring DLC, probably what I'm most anticipating at the moment. That's probably the one thing I'll drop everything to play. I'm also interested in the Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty expansion and how it's received. Lies of P and Lords of the Fallen look like promising Souls-likes. I'm also interested in FF7 Rebirth and Persona 3 Reload further in the future. Most of what I was interested in this year has already come out though.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

It is weird, I usually focus so much on going through my backlog and check out games long after they are out that I very rarely look forward to new releases anymore. However there are two exceptions to this currently which are ironically remakes/ports of older titles I missed out on back in the day.

The first being the HD 2D remake of Dragon Quest 3. This appeals to me as I have been a recent convert to the Dragon Quest series and fans rate this one particularly highly and my recent experience of HD 2D RPGs with the demos of Live A Live and Octopath Traveller 2 make me really want to check this one out. I think the HD 2D look is gorgeous and I really dug the two demos I played that utilised this style (two more for the backlog I see!) and the idea of one of the big classics of the Dragon Quest series get a redo in that style is too much to resist. Really counting down the days that this gets released!

My second title is Tombi being ported to modern consoles and I only played the PS1 demo of that back in the day but I really liked what it was going for, being a metroidvania before I even knew what the term meant with a bright and cheery aesthetic. Do not know what to think about the soundtrack being changed though, seems like a weird thing to change. Hoping it is an upgrade, but we will see I guess?

Thinking about it a bit further, I am interested to see what Dragon Quest 12 will be like as well so want to hear more about that. Was hearing it might be a bit more adult with a "modernised" battle system. Hoping it won't be too much a departure from the tried and true formula of Dragon Quest. Ironically, I found DQ 11 a breath of fresh air with its old school sensibilities and its simple tale of good vs evil. Felt like the best of the SNES era RPGs with a modern HD presentation. It was the game that got me into the franchise and I hope DQ 12 won't lack what made that game special. Again I suppose, we will see.